First meeting

Orchideous
 
Two weeks later 
 
"Here's an idea, stupid. Why don't you actually study?" "You know it's not that easy kry" "then make it easy"
 
Taemin sighed as he looked at his best friends, Jung Soojung also known as krystal and Kim Jongin also known as Kai, they were the bright shock of color in Taemin's otherwise black and white life, literally. Krystal had vibrant red hair that flowed past her shoulders while Kai had a much more subtle pink. The trio known for being silent and cold were actually playful when amongst themselves. 
 
"I actually think a tutor is a good idea" said Kai "maybe Krystal could do it" Krystal started sniggering. despite their rebellious appearance the colorful duo were actually diligent students. "She'd get too frustrated and curse me" Taemin said, joining in on the joke. 
Simultaneously Krystal and Kai became serious "but really though Tae you need a tutor" it was truly abnormal to see Kai act this way "this sounds lame as hell but I'm actually worried about the path you're on, don't you want the freedom to choose your own subjects?" "you sound like Jinki"
 
It was Krystal's turn to speak now "if you do find a tutor yourself, please just be nice to them" they remained silent until Krystal positioned herself between the boys, slapped the back of their heads and ran "come on, stupid! I want lunch already!" their reactions although slow, were what she was expecting.
"seriously kry?!"
"I'll get you Jung!"
 
*
 
Minho had his head in Jonghyun's lap while Jonghyun was braiding Minho's hair. They were on the sofa in the common room when mid braid Minho  lifted his head, ran his fingers through his hair only to discover it was already tied back and styled into a fishtail plait "what the hell?" Jonghyun pouted "you could've at least let me finish" Minho reluctantly lowered his head again. 
"I'm going to undo this when I go to quidditch trials, you know" Minho said "but it's pretty" *sigh* "fine be that way" 
 
Jonghyun brushed his fingers through  Minho's hair before tying it into its usual knot. Minho hesitated before he spoke again "hey, speaking of quidditch trials, are you going?" Jonghyun's face hardened into a scowl "I don't think I can be disappointed again, Min" "you won't come then? Not even to watch me?" 
Jonghyun knew he was disappointing his friend but he couldn't put himself through the rejection again.
 
Year after year Jonghyun would try, he was told his small stature made him suitable for seeker but he was too slow and was turned away every year, although he was passionate about the sport and his flying skills were that of a professional jonghyun has never had the opportunity to represent his house. Jonghyun smiled sadly "I think I'm going to go study" 
 
*
 
"" Taemin whispered to himself. He was in the library, the sun was setting and the entirety of the library was covered in an orange glow. much too late for anyone else, or at least that's what he thought. "Theres some Gryfinndor in here while I'm trying to study....... Not like I get any of this and don't they have quidditch trials today? rude much, not even supporting their house" Taemin thought.
 
 Taemin as cocky and stubborn as he is decided to be his own tutor and study in bulk, it's been an hour and he is still struggling to get past the first pages of history of magic. Two weeks into school he realised how screwed he really was and how much work he didn't understand. 
 
"and that ing Gryfinndor won't stop looking at me" Taemin glared at the pages harder in hopes of physically pushing the information into his head but grew more and more frustrated. 
 
"Oh Circe, that's what you were reading" Taemin whipped his head around at the sudden voice and there he was "That. Fricken. Gryfinndor." 
"O-oh i-i-m sorry I didn't mean t-to startle you" said "Jong-  Kim Jong somthing, Jongdae? No Junghee? Wtf that's a girls name" "Jonghyun" "what?" Taemin asked confused as he zoned back in, "Jonghyun, my n-name is Jonghyun" "oh" said Taemin, Jonghyun suddenly became flustered 
"You probably d-don't care I-it's just you l-l-looked like you were thinking so I-I just assumed that uhhh" 
 
"Taemin" "what?" Jonghyun said in question as he tilted his head to the side like a dog "my name is Taemin" Krystal's words still fresh in Taemin's  mind. "I know who you are" "huh?" "Great Jonghyun now you look like a stalker, this isn't how you make friends
 
Jonghyun became flustered once more "I-I just meant t-that w-w-we're in the same year a-and even some o-of the s-s-same classes, and besides y-you kinda used to bully me in first year" "for gods sake Jonghyun! Now you've made it worse!" 
 
Jonghyun cringed at his inner voice while Taemin's eyes widened at the accusation, it was now Taemins turn to be the flustered one "listen, first year was kinda a ty year for me 'and second and third and forth'  I'm different now I swear, I'm not the same bratty kid i was four years ago if I ever did anything to you I am so sorry, I'm even more sorry for not even remembering who you are," Jonghyun's lips spread into a sad smile and Taemin felt like even more of an "it's okay, I'm not exactly memorable" Jonghyun said in a gentle voice. Taemin swore he saw a flash of something in Jonghyun's eyes but quickly dismissed it on the light.
 
"you can........you can sit if you want" Jonghyun smiled as he pulled up a chair next to Taemin. "You know I've already read this-" "you here to brag?" Taemin asked in a joking manner, sadly Jonghyun didn't get the joke. 
 
"Oh n-no! I d-didn't meant to come a-across that w-wa-way!" ". He's sensitive" Taemin thought "hey, Jonghyun. Calm down I was just joking" Taemin placed his hand on the others shoulder. 
 
It was like lighting. A spark of electricity that flowed though their bodies when they touched, it only lasted a second before Taemin retracted his hand. he looked at Jonghyun's face for any indication that the other felt the same shock  and saw Jonghyun's eyes wide with confusion.
 
"Ha, must be static" Taemin said to divert Jonghyun's attention. "Yeah must be" Jonghyun smiled once more and Taemin felt like smiling too. 
 
"What I was t-trying to say before Is that I've already read this and if you wanted any h-help then m-maybe I c-could h-help you?" 
 
Taemin thought about his parents but erased them from his mind and instead thought of Jinki, Krystal and Kai, he realised Jonghyun took his silence as rejection and was in the process of standing up. "Wait; hold on!" Jonghyun slowly sat back down. Taemin hesitated "I would actually really like it, if you could help me, please" and so they stayed that way in the library for a good hour, Jonghyun just reading to Taemin and explaining the significance of each event, 
"God,I hate history of magic" Taemin thought "God, I love history of magic" Jonghyun thought as he happily read to the Slytherin, they finished the chapter and Taemin was relieved until he remembered the question that he had been dying to ask ever since Jonghyun approached him. 
 
"Hey, if I bullied you in first year, why are you helping me now?" 
Jonghyun was taken aback but still answered "I t-think everyone d-deserves a second ch-chance, you s-s-said you've changed, right? And besides you looked like y-you needed h-help, it would be c-cruel for m-me to just leave you there s-s-struggling.
 
Jonghyun looked up at Taemin only to see his eyes cast downwards "thank you" Taemin said in a tiny voice, barely a whisper as he lifted his head. 
 
They left the library side by side and walked in comfortable silence to the great hall for dinner. They exchanged quick goodbyes and walked to either side of the great hall to their respective tables. Their minds were plagued with the thought of each other.
 
*
 
"How did studying go?" "Hm?" Jonghyun turned his head at the sound of Minho's voice "I said how did studying go? You seem so out of it lately, are you okay?" Minho's voice was full of concern "oh I'm fine, really Min don't worry about me and I don't know what to say about studying, since when are you so interested in that?" 
Minho shrugged his shoulders as an answer "how did quidditch go?" Jonghyun asked despite his mind being else where. 
 
Minho's face lit up as if he were waiting for Jonghyun to ask "Jjong you should've been there! It went so well, and hyoyeon noona said if I keep this up I'll be captain next year" 
 
Jonghyun grinned at his friends excitement "as expected from our star chaser" "must you two really talk about quidditch in my presence" a new voice said and the Gryffindors turned to see Kibum picking at his food completely uninterested. 
 
Jonghyun felt guilty for not including his brother while Minho was irritated, Kibum couldnt let him have Jonghyun's attention for one minute before trying to divert it to himself. "The world doesn't revolve around you, Kibum" "is that so, Choi?" "G-guys. Stop" Jonghyun interrupted and the trio fell into silence. 
 
Kibum thought of how fattening hogwarts food is, Minho thought of himself as quidditch captain and Jonghyun thought of Taemin. 
 
"Hey bummie, you're a Slytherin right?" Jonghyun asked, Kibum scoffed "well spotted" "well do you know Lee Taemin?"
Kibum sneered at the name "you mean that brat?" He pointed across the great hall directly at Taemin "yea, him" he didn't comment on Kibum's choice of words. 
 
"Yeah I know him. we share a dorm obviously, being in the same year and all tha- " "didn't he used to pick on you?" Minho interrupted. Kibum's eyes widened at the memory he'd forgotten and glared at Taemin from across the great hall. 
 
Jonghyun shrugged in hopes of showing them that he himself didn't remember even though he did "who didn't pick on me back then?" He said mimicking Taemin's sarcastic sense of humour. This only fuelled the fire for Minho and Kibum. 
 
"That kid is a real spoilt brat I'm telling you, walks around the dungeons like he owns the place. Him and his bratty friends, everyone thinks they get high all the time because he's obsessed with plants and like that, he looks like he does too. he probably gets away with so much, you know because his brother is head boy now" although no one would like to believe Jinki was capable of being so biased it was a possibility and a very popular rumour. 
 
"He's dumb too. I heard from Yuri who heard from Joy who heard Krystal talk about him getting a tutor" 
Jonghyun's eyes widened at that and felt guilty for not approaching Taemin sooner. 
 
"Why'd you ask?" Kibum's eyes narrowed "Oh um n-no reason. so did you hear Sulli transferred to beauxbatons?" Kibum and Minho wanted to question him further but Jonghyun had already changed the subject.
 
*
 
"Did you hear Sulli transferred to beauxbatons? That only sent a letter to tell me this morning, ugh love her though" Krystal rambled. Kai was listening attentively (or at least pretending to) while Taemin completely tuned her out. 
Every couple of seconds Taemin would look over at the Gryfinndor  table and see Jonghyun next to Choi Minho (he knew him as the Gryfinndor chaser) and Kim Kibum "wait, Kim  Kibum? As in the Kim Kibum that I share a dorm with? The Kim Kibum who's eyes were sharper than most knifes?, the same Kim Kibum who's cackling laughter could make you run for the hills? That Kim Kibum?" 
 
From what little Taemin knew about Jonghyun he could see he was shy and soft spoken, Kibum was everything but that. Obviously Taemin knew he wouldn't learn everything about Jonghyun in one conversation but the conversation that they did have made him feel like he should. Now that he thought about it Taemin in fact knew nothing really about Jonghyun apart from the fact he was very intelligent and that he liked to read. 
 
"What more is there? What are his likes? His dislikes? Does he-" "hey!" 
Krystal snapped "are you even listening to me?" Taemin smirked and rolled his eyes before answering "of course Kry, you love Sulli blah blah blah" Kai laughed "Tae, she stopped talking about that awhile ago" "" Taemin thought. 
 
"I'm used to you zoning out but this is too much, seriously what are looking at?" Kai tried to turn his head in the same direction as Taemin but still had no idea what caught his attention. 
 
"It's nothing, i don't even know what I was looking at, you said yourself I was zoning out" it wasn't a very convincing lie but the colourful duo left him be. "Are you going to the library again, tomorrow? It is Saturday but-" "yes" 
 
*
 
Minho was always the quiet one, always the humble one, the kind one. He was the youngest out of his 4 siblings. his hyungs Changmin, Siwon and Junmyeon and his noona, Sooyoung. Growing up in a household like that taught him to not ask for much and to be observant.
He could always tell when Jonghyun was troubled by the way he bit his lip.
It was late at night in the boys dormitory. Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jongdae were already asleep, the curtains of their four poster beds drawn shut. Jonghyun and Minho were still awake, reading. Soft light was radiating form their wands. 
Minho had always tried to match his sleeping schedule to Jonghyuns but could never make it past staying up past midnight. 
 
"Minho" Jonghyun whispered, his eyes still on the book in his lap, Minho turned to see Jonghyun biting his bottom lip. He was transfixed, despite it being dark Minho could see his lips naturally curved upwards and it made his heart skip a beat "yea?" Minho said trying to make his voice as steady (and as quiet) as possible.
 
"Do you think everyone deserves a second chance?" Minho smiled at the question "personally? Yes. I do think everyone deserves a second chance, I'm not sure about a third chance but definitely a second one. I guess it really depends on what they did, the kind of person they are and the kind of person you are, why?" 
 
Jonghyun curled into himself, his book against his chest and his arms around his knees, he smiled a tiny smile "no reason, thanks Minho" "you're welcome, Jjong" 
"Knoxs" they whispered in unison and the entire dorm was shrouded in darkness.