Diphylleia grayi

Orchideous
 
 
Taemin woke up the next morning in pain. From the strain in his neck to his bruised eye he was in extreme discomfort and to top it all off he had a tune imbedded into his brain yet he had no idea where it came from. It wasn't an unpleasant tune, on the contrary it was quite beautiful but it still frustrated him to no end. 
By the time he woke up it was already mid day and Jinki had since left the dorm however Tiffany, the head girl, was hovering over him in concern. "Your eye is starting to turn purple, do you want me to heal it?" He waved her off rather impolitely and borrowed some of his brothers clothes before leaving.
 
He drafted a list of what he had to do that day in his mind and the first task was to find Krystal and Kai. He raced to the Slytherin common room and expected to see his friends draped across the furniture but was greeted by his fellow house mates gawking at him. He sighed in frustration and trudged up to his own dorm where his best friends lazily lay across Kai's bed, they stayed that way for a moment; neither noticing Taemin's presence until he dumped himself on the bed next to them in a huff.
Krystal shot up immediately while Kai took his time pulling himself into sitting position. The pair stared at Taemin with bored expressions as if they were expecting him to speak first and finally Kai broke the silence "so what's up? Heard about you and Jjong" "does everyone know?" 
Kai scratched the back of his head and laid back down "not really, Jinki told us what happened, we would've found you but Kry and I thought you'd go looking for Jjong before you'd look for us" 
 
Taemin laid down on his own bed and placed his hands on his face, he hissed at the contact it made with his eye. "Have you seen Jonghyun?" He asked and Krystal nodded but then spoke when she realised Taemin wasn't looking at her "we saw him this morning, he was by himself at first and we wanted to keep him company but then Kibum showed up with Choi and he chased us off, Choi had this whole big apology and Jonghyun forgave him just like that" she even snapped her fingers for emphasis.
"If it makes you feel better I heard from Amber who heard from Jongdae who saw Choi being sent to the hospital wing at like two in the morning" she stood up and leaned over Taemin with a smile on her face, Taemin laughed at that and didn't feel guilty what so ever "that actually does make me feel better but he probably doesn't look like though" Taemin said referring to his black eye, exhausted expression and his messier than usual hair.
 
"I like it" Krystal said, fluffing his wavy blonde locks even more. Kai hummed in approval and joined Krystal by leaning over him "it makes you look tough, pretty boy" Taemin scoffed and raised his fist at Kai in a joking manner "I'm always tough" 
Kai grabbed him by the collar and pulled him up until he was sitting upright "well tough guy you might want to get going and find that little boyfriend of yours"
Taemin shoved Kai's hands off, stood up and turned for the colourful duo  and asked "I look cool, right?"
Krystal covered with her hand to hide her smile but Kai made no effort "just the coolest" 
" you guys, bye"
"Love you too, Taeminnie!" They both called out in a babyish voice as Taemin walked away from them and made an obscene hand gesture behind his back.
 
On his way down he bumped into a very boisterous Kibum, Taemin stared at him and raised his eyebrow at his boyfriends twin, he'd never seen Kibum this excited and he'd seen him everyday for the entirety of his schooling career. Kibum smiled at him and grabbed both of Taemin's arms and began to literally bounce with excitement. "Taemin! Just the person I was looking for!" "Kibum? What are yo-" "oh hush! There's someone that wants to apologise to yooouu!" This made Taemin's heart flutter, he didn't think Jonghyun would want to apologise to him. He was prepared to go on his knees if that meant Jonghyun wouldn't be mad anymore, Such a small body shouldn't be able to hold that much anger inside.
 
He day dreamed of Jonghyun while Kibum dragged him away; Jonghyun with his large watery eyes, pouting and avoiding Taemin's stare as he stuttered out an apology and Taemin would give his own apology then Jonghyun would be in his arms again but that dream faded when Choi Minho came into view. His lip still split and his long hair wasn't tied back, framing his face. He glared at Taemin but his eyes softened when he noticed Kibum. Kibum batted his eyelashes at Minho and he awkwardly smiled back in return. Taemin was then pushed towards Minho "now I'll leave you two alone!" Taemin wanted to call out to him and ask where Jonghyun was but he was already gone.
 
Minho shuffled to the side to indicate that he wanted Taemin to join him on his spot on the floor. When Taemin made no move to join, Minho frowned and spoke in a snarky tone "I'm not gonna punch you again so don't be afraid and just sit down" 
Taemin scoffed and sat down "I'm not afraid of you, Choi"
Minho sighed and looked away from Taemin "I just wanted to say sorry, I really do hate what I did" "it didn't look like you hated it when you corned my Jonghyun-" "will you let me finish!" Minho spat and stared Taemin directly in the eye; after a minute of silence he continued "I really regret it okay? I didn't mean to loose it, I didn't mean to fight you and I really didn't mean to scare Jjong. That's the last thing I wanted to do"
He took a deep breath in and exhaled with his eye closed.
 
"It really wasn't how I imagined it, you know what I mean?" 
"No"
"I just always dreamt of what it would be like to confess to Jjong and i never thought it would be like that. I didn't think about him or how he feels, it's selfish and really cheesy. I just thought I would feel something if I ever kissed him and he would feel it too but I didn't and neither did he. I thought there would be fireworks-" "it feels that way when I kiss him" Taemin interrupted, Minho laughed a little at that "I expected as much, i just feel bad that I put him on a pedestal he never wanted to be on. I spent all my time obsessing over the wrong twin but I can't help it; I mean I still love Jjong and I'm not going to get over it overnight, I've felt this way about him since forever but I think I need to start moving on *sigh* scratch that, I know I need to move on and besides Kibum is actually kinda cool once you get past the yness"  Taemin agreed, he was chasing the wrong twin, the shorter, more gentle one was his and he wasn't willing to share. 
 
 
"I even told Jjong all this when I apologized this morning, Merlin he's too forgiving sometimes But he'll probably be mad at me again when he sees your eye, sorry about that" Taemin never thought he would be having this conversation with Choi Minho, his "rival", his boyfriends best friend. 
"Do you know where he is?" Minho shook his head "I thought you would know, don't you have that freaky telepathy thing?" Taemin was confused as to how he knew that but Minho answered that question not even a second later "Jjong told me. One of the many reason you two belong together or some like that" there was still a slight bitterness in his voice but Taemin ignored it;
He stood and held his hand out to help Minho up "I am seriously sorry, I promise I won't pull like that again" "you better not" Taemin tried his best to sound friendly and Minho returned it before he was threatening again "Jjong is still my best friend by the way so if you ever hurt him I won't hesitate to give you another black eye and if you break up with him I'll be there to pick up the pieces" Taemin nodded "that's fair" he thought to himself, if he ever did hurt Jonghyun he would deserve much worse than that. 
 
"When you do see him, tell him I'm sorry again" "you know you're not that bad Choi" "I could say the same for you, Lee" Taemin smirked "but I still don't like you" "likewise"
Minho then stuck out his own hand; when Taemin didn't respond he tilted his head and raised his eyebrows "for Jjong?" Taemin grasped his hand and firmly shook it "for Jonghyun" 
 
As the two separated and turned their backs on each other, Taemin called out to Minho once more "you should really tell Kibum to quit smoking. He reeks of nicotine and I don't want his habits rubbing off on my Jonghyun"
Taemin then continued to walk, leaving Minho standing there in shock.
 
*
 
Jonghyun was staring at the black lake, his small, leather book in his lap.  
The snow around the castle wasn't as thick as it was earlier in the month but it still wasn't melting and Jonghyun was shivering slightly from the cold. He was sitting cross legged on the grass of Taemin's secret garden, simply thinking as he fiddled with the precious ring on his finger.
He thought about Taemin and Minho, Minho had sincerely apologized that morning and it was hard to stay mad at his best friend; Jonghyun hated fights and he was pleased the whole ordeal was almost over.
He was just waiting for Taemin to apologize and then he would apologize himself, once again Jonghyun felt as if he had done Taemin wrong by not being able to defend himself.
 
His own cowardliness made him angry, he was more angry at himself than he was at Taemin.
 
*flashback to that morning"
 
Jonghyun was seated at the Gryffindor table rubbing his eyes, his insomnia would always keep him up but whenever Jonghyun was troubled it was almost impossible for him to sleep. He was picking at his food when Krystal was suddenly at his left and Kai was at his right, they made casual conversation with him but he wasn't very talkative and he yawned throughout chat, he apologized for it multiple time; Krystal waved him off and Kai tutted "Jjong you should really stop apologizing, we told you it's okay-" "ahem" Kibum's fake cough made them all turn around to face him and a guilty looking Minho.
 
Kibum half expected for the vibrant duo to take the hint and leave Jonghyuns side but they only glared at Minho's sulky form and crossed their arms over their chests in unison. 
Kibum motioned with his head that they should move to the side, trying his best not to seem rude. Jonghyun was extremely confused and made a move to get up but Kibum quickly sat him back down "no no Jongie you just stay put, okay?" 
Kai and Krystal exchanged knowing glances and rolled their eyes however they still followed Kibum to place further up the elongated table but Krystal made sure she was still in hearing range.
 
Jonghyun looked up at Minho and tried his best to glare; he was no longer confused, he knew Minho wanted to apologize.
Minho had been avoiding eye contact but took in a deep breath and stared down at Jonghyun but winced once he saw the smaller ones glare. It took every ounce of courage for Minho to open his mouth and finally speak.
 "I'm really sorry Jjong" Jonghyun tried his best to imitate his twins unfaltering confidence "what for?"
Minho sat beside Jonghyun and tried to take hold of his small hand but Jonghyun pulled back, Minho caught sight of the hand shaped bruise on his frail wrist. He wasn't sure if it was from himself or if it was from Taemin. He suppressed his rage and began to speak again.
 
"I'm sorry for what I did to you, I'm sorry for trying to take advantage of you and I'm sorry i frightened you, I of all people should know better. I'm sorry for getting drunk, I'm sorry for not being able to control myself and I'm sorry for telling you things that I should've kept to myself. I'm sorry for being a terrible friend" he couldn't look Jonghyun in the eye any longer, his head dropped and his long hair covered his face.
"I promise I will never do that to you again and even though I don't deserve it will you please forgive me?" 
 
Jonghyun placed his hand on Minho's head and ran his fingers through his hair. Minho would often do that as a sign of affection but Jonghyun never returned the gesture. Until now. Minho raised his head and Jonghyun smiled, it was the gentle smile that Minho had grown to love. 
"I forgive you" Minho sat up straight happily and lifted his arms, ready to embrace his best friend but Jonghyun held up his finger and his smile was replaced by a stern expression "under one condition" "anything, Jjong"
Jonghyun lowered his hand and sighed "you have to apologize to Taemin as well" Minho spluttered out his complaints "but why him? He deserved it- I'm not sorry- I heard he also snapped at you-" "please, Minho" his complaints immediately stopped after hearing Jonghyuns soft plea; he finally nodded and Jonghyun began to smile again.
 
"By the way Kibum got dumped recently by a Ravenclaw you may know, he's been a little lonely since and he thinks you're really handsome"
 
*end of flashback* 
 
Jonghyun opened his private book of lyrics and began to hum as he flipped through the yellowing pages, he had recently finished the lyrics to a song he had composed months prior. Taemin and his passion for botany being the main inspiration. Jonghyun cleared his throat and clenched his eyes shut as he began to sing, envisioning an entire orchestra playing as they accompanied his voice, he could hear the pianos and violins in his head as if they were real.
He began softly at first but the image of Taemin imbedded into his mind gave him the confidence to sing without fear of being heard.
 
 
you’re a flower that grows more transparent the wetter you become
the white petal between us is dampening with regret
although it’s transparent, it doesn’t disappear
and when obscured from view, it at least doesn’t hurt~
 
He didn't dare open his eyes as the image of Taemin became crystal clear and he didn't want to loose sight of his angelic face.
 
but being unable to grasp it despite knowing this
hurts as if i’m being torn apart, as if i’m dying
now that it’s drenched with tears
my obvious mistakes can be seen no longer~
 
Jonghyun couldn't help himself and let his emotions get the better of him, tears streaked down his cheeks but he made no move to wipe them away and only sang with more passion.
 
refrain
ah, they’re getting scattered by the wind
ah, they’re growing wetter with dew

dear petal before me
bearing the thick scent that deceived me
so that i wouldn’t be able to find you, you imprisoned me in the room of eternity
and now you smile guilefully and snowy white~
 
He didn't even notice the amazed figure that watched him. He was too caught up in his own performance to feel the sudden flush of warmth as the figure grew closer.
The figure was the only other student who knew of the gardens location, the subject of the song, Taemin.
 
refrain
ah, they’re getting scattered by the wind
ah, they’re growing wetter with dew
 
as time passes the white petals, too, will wilt away
with no memory of having been translucent

refrain
ah, they’re getting scattered by sorrow
ah, they’re growing wetter with tears~
 
Taemin watched on as the emancipated singer that was his boyfriend struggle to not let his tears affect his singing but he faltered once. Taemin became overwhelmed by the voice but he couldn't hear the true sound of it as it was played in Jonghyuns mind and decided to keep his distance until the song was over.
 
time passes
time passes
time passes
if time passes
time passes
time passes
time..~
 
Jonghyun breathed out and jumped slightly by the sound of clapping from behind him, his heart swelled when he saw it was Taemin. Taemin was then beside him, wiping away his tears and praising him. 
"You sing so beautifully" 
Jonghyun remained silent and remained calm even when Taemin kissed his head lovingly.
"I've never heard you sing before. What song is that?" Jonghyun shyly looked away as he replied "I wrote it" "you wrote it?!" Jonghyun nodded and rested his head against Taemin's shoulder "that's amazing! I knew it sounded familiar and now I know why" It was surreal for Jonghyun and he wasn't sure if it was a dream or not; he often thought about singing for Taemin but never had the opportunity, for Taemin to praise him in such a way made him the happiest he'd ever been in his young life and for him to approve of a song Jonghyun wrote validated him in ways no one else would understand.
 
Jonghyun nuzzled Taemin's neck when he realised despite their connection Taemin mustn't of heard the entire ensemble "It sounds a lot better with the instrumental" Taemin perked up "does it involve piano?"
Jonghyun nodded again "of course" 
Taemin intertwined their fingers and stood making Jonghyun follow his actions. "Come" neither spoke a word as Taemin led Jonghyun back to castle. They were both out of breath by the time they made it to the seventh floor, Taemin wildly searched for any wandering students but happily found none; he pulled Jonghyun towards a completely ordinary stone wall and to Jonghyuns amazement a door started to appear right before his eyes. He stood there in shock for he knew where the door led, Taemin had to drag him through the door and into the room of requirement.
 
"I've only ever read about this" Jonghyun said in awe. The room presented itself as a huge stage of sorts and completely empty apart from the grand piano placed in the centre.
Taemin was already making his way to the piano and Jonghyun had to speed up his walking to keep up. They both took a seat and stared at the keys, Taemin slowly turned to Jonghyun "how do I play it?" Jonghyun was patient as he always was when teaching Taemin, taught him how to play his own composition and Taemin played it beautifully, it was a talent Jonghyun never knew he had; they were learning more about each other each day and falling further and further in love as if it were humanly possible.
 
They both made a few mistakes but soon enough they were in perfect harmony, Jonghyun singing his heart out and Taemin being fully immersed in the music; they were a perfect fit for each other in every way. When the song ended Jonghyun leaned against Taemin again and softly spoke in his ear "I'm still mad at you" Taemin laughed turned his head to meet Jonghyuns lips. "I'm sorry" it was the simplest apology he could offer but he convoyed his sincerity through his feeling rather than his words; Taemin was never good with his words and he knew Jonghyun would feel what he truly meant but was unable to say out loud "I'm sorry too, your scarf isn't stupid"
 
"Hey Jonghyun do you know what soul mates are?" Taemin asked seriously. Jonghyun seemed caught of guard by the question but answered just as seriously "I do but i never used to believe it" the words slightly cut Taemin like a knife but Jonghyun continued to speak "but they really do seem to exist, don't they?"
Taemin didn't reply and instead pressed his lips against Jonghyuns, for longer this time; it made Jonghyun slightly flustered but he still responded and eagerly moved his lips against Taemin's. 
When they broke apart Jonghyuns natural odd eyes met Taemin's dark ones he stared in horror as he noticed the purple bruising around his boyfriend's eye "Taemin your eye!" It took Taemin a moment to understand what he meant but it seems they were so caught up in each other their physical appearance slipped to the back of their minds. Jonghyun placed one hand on Taemin's cheek and pulled out his wand, a simple spell made him feel much better as his skin was reverted back to its usual color.
 
Jonghyun kept his hand on his cheek and placed his other hand on the other cheek he gently brought their faces together so their foreheads met as he whispered "I love you" it gave Taemin a fluttering feeling in his stomach to hear the words he would never grow tired of hearing "I love you too"