First meeting pt.2

Orchideous
 

Taemin woke up early Saturday morning or at least early by his standards as all of his dorm mates were already awake. Taemin would usually wake to find a empty dorm and Kai waiting for him in the common room but here he was, awake and slightly disoriented as he came face to face with Kim Kibums morning routine.

"What are you looking at?" Kibum sneered as he applied what Taemin assumed was bb cream onto his face, Taemin only smirked and Kibum huffed, with the flick of his wand the curtains of his four poster bed came closed, shielding Kibum from his view, "good morning to you too Kibum"
 
"Don't you think it's too early for you to annoy Kibum?" Taemin felt his bed dip and he turned to see Kai already dressed "it's never too early for me to annoy Kibum" Taemin said as Kibum emerged from his bed dressed in his usual obnoxious clothing, his green hair styled up and his lip ring in place 
 
"Have a nice day, kibummie" Taemin and Kai sang as they blew kisses and batted their eyelashes. Kibum rolled his eyes before exiting the dorm. 
"Now get up seriously" Taemin groaned at Kai's command but listened none the less.
 
Taemin threw on ripped jeans and a shirt to match "for a rich kid you really do dress like you're homeless" before Taemin could retaliate they saw Krystal waiting for them at the door of the common room with her arms crossed. she was dressed in her usual black attire, her red hair in a high ponytail, her sister was at her side. 
 
Jung Jessica, seventh year, Slytherins quidditch captain and the most intimidating girl Taemin has ever known. She was petite and blonde yet witty and manipulative. Her keen eye, sharp tongue and cold demeanour has labeled her as 'The Ice Princess'. Crowded corridors would separate to let her pass. She was simultaneously feared and loved. although they were not friends Taemin was (thankfully) on her good side.  
 
"I wanted to wait for you guys to tell you I already ate with sica, we kinda have stuff to do so I'll see you guys later?" Krystal said, Taemin and Kai nodded said their goodbyes and headed for breakfast. 
Once they arrived at the great hall Taemin sat at his place at the Slytherin table only to notice Kai was still standing. "Hey Tae can we sit at the Hufflepuff table today? Yixing wanted to talk to me about something" Taemin turned to see Yixing smiling and waving them over. 
Taemin didn't know Yixing very well and didn't wish to be the third wheel in the conversation, "you go ahead, I'm already siting and it'll take too much effort to stand again" he said as he faked a yawn.
 
"Are you going to library today" Kai asked, a smirk on his face, Taemin scoffed "didn't I tell you I was yesterday?" "Just making sure, my little nerd" Kai said as he ruffled Taemin's hair. Taemin pouted and Kai laughed before leaving for the Hufflepuff table, leaving Taemin alone. 
 
He thought about joining Jinki but he saw that he was surrounded by his friends and rather not impose. 
Then he saw Jonghyun. 
 
He was dressed in a shirt that was two sizes too big and ripped jeans, Minho and Kibum were at his sides
"They look more like his bodyguards instead of his friends" Taemin thought. Jonghyun started to look around as if he were searching for someone until his eyes fell on Taemin, he smiled and offered a small wave which Taemin returned. Jonghyun then stood on his tip toes and whispered something in Kibums ear, to which Kibums eyes also wandered until they landed on Taemin, he frowned said something to Minho and made his way over to Taemin. 
 
He calmly sat down next to Taemin and ate his food in silence, Taemin was extremely confused as to why this was happening and looked over at the Gryfinndor table in hopes of an explanation; instead he saw an anxious looking Jonghyun, he smiled to try and reassure Jonghyun, "of what?" He wasn't sure. After they were both done eating Kibum wiped his mouth with a napkin, placed his hands in his lap and glared at Taemin "Jongie said you looked lonely so I decided to keep you company" he said in a fake sweet voice.
 
"Look I don't care if you have a problem with me, but if you think for one second, I will let you mess with my brother? Then you are mistaken" "brother?" "Wait. Kibum, you have a brother?" Kibum raised a scarred eyebrow before laughing in Taemin's face "you really are stupid aren't you? My twin? Kim Jonghyun? That adorable blonde over there? Ring any bells?" 
 
It clicked. The reason Jonghyun and Kibum were together despite their opposite personalities. They were brothers "but twins? They look nothing alike Kibum is sharp and cat like while Jonghyun is soft and looks like a frickin puppy" "Lee!" Kibum snapped and He once again had Taemin's attention "I swear to merlin if you push my brother around like you used to I will-" "first of all I don't push anyone around like I used to Kibum, you know this. Secondly Jonghyun is helping me with my school work so whatever agenda you think I have? Forget it and thirdly. I'm. Not. Stupid. How the hell are you two related" Taemin said in a disgusted voice. The two glared at each other before Taemin stood up and walked to where Jonghyun was seated.
 
"Hey Jonghyun, you. me. library. today. Same time?" Jonghyun's eyes widened and Minho looked conflicted as if he wanted to say something but before he could say anything Jonghyun squeaked out a "y-yes!" Taemin winked and left.
 
*
 
"You should really stay away from that kid, Jongie" Kibum sighed as he sat down next to Jonghyun "I just wanted to sit with him you didn't have to be so rude!" Jonghyun hissed 
"Oh I'm the rude one? tsk, I thought you were a better judge of character" Jonghyun was offended and looked to Minho for support only to see he was having his own conversation with  Amber. 
 
"You don't even know him that well!" Jonghyun spat, Kibum scoffed and retaliated "at least it's better than you! You don't know him at all! Why are you so adamant about defending him?!" Jonghyun kept quiet after that, for he himself didn't know why he was so defensive over someone who was practically a stranger.
 
*
 
 As a child Taemin would go to his garden whenever he was upset or lonely, sadly because of his parents this was quite often and from a young age Taemin had a fascination with anything botanical.
The gardens at the Lee manor were spectacular, complete with multiple greenhouses, exotic flowers and trees, a traditional rose garden and a hedge maze. 
 
When Taemin left for Hogwarts he to adjust to not having the comfort of his garden, after two years of making due with potted cacti on his windowsill the groundskeeper, Shindong, provided him a secluded area where he could plant and garden to his hearts content. Bordering the black lake and the forbidden forest. The only people who knew of its location was Taemin, Kai, Krystal and Shindong (he would tend to it during the summer) Kai and Krystal would only be allowed to visit with Taemin's permission and not even Jinki knew of its existence.
 
Taemin lay against one of the trees as he thought of what Happened earlier that morning. Kibums words made him sick to his stomach and he didn't know why. Perhaps it was the thought of someone taking advantage of Jonghyun's kindness but he quickly dismissed it. "I barely know him, but I'm actually like some possessive lover. it's kinda pathetic" 
 
He told himself that it was Kibums words that set him off and not Jonghyun. Taemin sighed as he picked up his wand and watered a particularly dry looking flowerbed.
 
*
 
The moment the sun started to go down, Jonghyun basically ran to the library in hopes of getting there before Taemin and prepare his apology. 
 
Minho held his tongue as he watched Jonghyun's back disappear from sight. He didn't agree with the arrangement his best friend created but didn't want to seem hypocritical by voicing his concerns. "I guess everyone does deserve a second chance" Minho thought as he made his way to the Gryfinndor common room.
 
When Jonghyun arrived he was taken aback as he saw Taemin was already seated at their table by the windows, the light from them illuminated his angelic face. He was reading and looked completely bored, he didn't even notice Jonghyun's presence until the other sat down next to him and uttered a soft "hey" 
 
Taemin looked up at him. his dark, almond shaped eyes meeting Jonghyun's big brown ones "hey" he responded and looked back down at his book. He was reading the vampire section of his defense against the dark arts text book. Jonghyun skimmed over what Taemin was reading before he excused himself from the table and left to go to a different area of the library.
 
Taemin was confused but patiently waited for Jonghyun to return. He did return with a pile of books stacked over his head, in his arms. Taemin stood up to help him but was dismissed by Jonghyun "I got it, don't worry I'm much stronger than I look" he said as he heaved the books onto their table, he accidentally left his wand on their table and rather than going back decided it would be easier to lift the enormous pile. Taemin was impressed. Jonghyun then picked up his wand and levitated a different pile from behind the bookshelf. 
 
"Are all these really necessary?" Taemin asked, he knew he needed a separate book so he could study in detail but the sheer amount of books Jonghyun brought was excessive. 
"I d-didn't know which o-one you wanted s-s-so I brought them all" Jonghyun stuttered. Taemin smiled, he appreciated the gesture and took the book at the top of the first pile and began reading. Jonghyun was at his side, explaining what needed explaining. For Taemin everything seemed clear coming out of Jonghyun's mouth.
 
The library wasn't nearly as empty as it was the day before but it wasn't crowed. Jonghyun was deathly afraid of large crowds and would never go to the library during O.W.L/N.E.W.T season unless Minho accompanied him. "I'm glad it's not that busy, normally the majority of ravenclaw come here to work Saturdays" Jonghyun thought and to his surprise Taemin responded "yea, I'm glad too, large groups of people are just annoying" Jonghyun blushed when he realised he must of thought out loud. 
 
"This is nice" Jonghyun thought as he sat there listening to Taemin mumble to himself about how much he hated vampires. Jonghyun wondered if it would be this way everyday, as obsessive as it sounded Jonghyun felt a pull towards Taemin, a natural need to be nearer to him, to seek him out and it started ever since he saw the slytherin again in the great hall for the first feast of the new school year. It was the reason he approached him the first time. He didn't know what it was, how to explain and he was too scared to share his abnormal feelings with others. Scared that Taemin would think he was a stalker. Scared that Kibum would judge him for acting like some deranged princess in those muggle movies they used to watch as children. Scared that Minho would be disappointed in him.
 
Taemin pulled Jonghyun out of his thoughts as he slammed his book closed "So how is this gonna work? I have quidditch on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I don't know what days you're free but I'm su-" "I'm f-free everyd-day" Jonghyun stuttered out and he instantly regretted it, "how pathetic do I sound?" He waited for Taemin to laugh at him but heard nothing instead he saw Taemin with a look of pity on his face. Jonghyun felt even more pathetic. 
 
The pair agreed they would meet in the library every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at five. Sunday being Taemin's only free day, it was a busy schedule but one that was necessary. 
 
"Wait! T-Taemin!" Jonghyun called as he struggled to catch up to Taemin as his legs were shorter. After the two decided on their schedule they called it a day and were heading to their separate common rooms. 
Jonghyun grabbed Taemin's wrist and the other slowly turned around.
"I j-just wanted to apologise f-for Kibum earlier! Y-yo-you looked l-lonely so I wa-wanted to s-sit with you! He can g-g-get protective at t-times, I'm sorry!" Jonghyun let go of Taemin's wrist and did a 90 degree bow. 
 
"Is he serious?" Taemin asked himself in his head or at least he thought it was in his head, as Jonghyun shot up, face red, "y-yes! I am s-s-serious" Taemin chuckled at that "Jonghyun, it's fine really. I've been dealing with Kibums attitude for years now, nothing I can't handle" Jonghyun felt relieved, as if his previous guilt just rolled of him, Taemin himself felt relieved, Kibums words erased from his mind as he instead thought of Jonghyun and how he could ever of forgotten a face like his, his face returning to its usual sun kissed color, his white hair framing his face perfectly, his eyes seemed to grow twice in size whenever he was flustered, his sharp nose and jaw and the way his plump lips naturally curved upwards. Everything about Jonghyun seemed to calm him down, not even Kibums nagging voice could ruin the serene moment for him. 
 
"C-can we s-s-start over?" "Hm?" Taemin asked, confused as he zoned back into the conversation. Jonghyun took a deep breath before starting again " can we start over? I m-mean l-like pretend this is our first m-me-meeting? A-actually no, n-nevermind. It was a s-s-stupid ide-" "Taemin" "what" now Jonghyun was the confused one. 
"I'm Lee Taemin, and you are?" Taemin said, looking as friendly as possible, Jonghyun felt his heart flutter "I'm Kim Jonghyun, nice to meet you" Jonghyun said accompanied by a little bow, Taemin mimicked the bow and then outstretched his arm and opened his palm, Jonghyun took his hand.
The electricity once again flowed through them and this time they let it, only disconnecting their hands when the shock rolled off them. "Darn static" Jonghyun mumbled and the two laughed, "I'll see you Tuesday then?" Taemin asked, Jonghyun nodded eagerly. The two then turned  their backs on each other and went their separate ways.
 
Weeks continued like this, Jonghyun and Taemin maintaining their arrangement while balancing their own lives. Soon enough mid September faded into late October. 
 
*
 
Taemin was walking down a corridor late at night. Every portrait he passed was blackened. The corridor was illuminated by the moonlight flowing through the windows, he looked to see they were missing glass and we're just empty window panes, They let in a breeze and Taemin heard the sound of rustling paper.
 
A new image emerged from the end of the corridor. A young boy, dressed in Gryfinndor robes surrounded by scattered parchment.
It was Jonghyun. 
His hair had a blue tint in the light. Taemin subconsciously walked towards him, the closer he got he saw Jonghyun looked different, slightly shorter, his cheeks were slightly fuller, his eyes slightly bigger. He was younger.
 
He stopped in front of him, Jonghyun looked up, his crystal blue eyes were filled with adoration "Taemin-ah I was waiting for you" "blue?" Taemin thought "Jonghyun's eyes are brown, something isn't right"
Suddenly Taemin was forcefully pulled back and he saw himself also younger. His watched in horror as he saw himself shove Jonghyun to the ground. He tried to move forward but it was as if there was a glass barrier in front of him. 
 
The younger version of himself proceeded to shout at the younger Jonghyun "why are you even speaking to me! Who even are you!?" "Taemin it's me, Jonghyun" the younger Jonghyun reached for Taemin and a crack was heard. 
He couldn't believe it.
 
the younger version of himself had his hand raised and the younger Jonghyun had a red mark on his check. What the younger Taemin said next made Taemin bang his fists against the invisible barrier and try to call out for Jonghyun. "Don't touch me! Don't act like you know me!" The younger Taemin hissed. Jonghyun began to cry and it pained Taemin to see him that way "pathetic" the younger spat before he walked past Jonghyun who was still seated on the floor surrounded by parchment. 
 
The barrier suddenly disappeared, Taemin stumbled before he ran towards the crying Jonghyun. "Jonghyun! Jonghyun wait for me there! I'll come to you!" 
He could almost reach him. Only an arms length away.
Taemin was jolted awake by someone shaking him. That someone was Kai, his face was filled with worry, Taemin looked around his dorm to see all of his dorm mates staring at him, even Kibum looked disturbed. 
 
"What happened?" Taemin asked, slurring his words. Kai frowned before answering "Tae, you were screaming in you sleep, I thought someone got in and was like stabbing you, holy you scared me" Taemin felt extremely guilty for worrying him. 
"Really? Geez I'm sorry guys, what time is it?" "It's 3 am" said Kyungsoo who was nearest to the clock. Taemin sighed before apologising again, "I'm really sorry, i promise it won't happen again" he expected a "it better not" from Kibum but instead got silence as Kai returned to his bed and the others closed the curtains around their beds.
 
Taemin lay back down, breathed deeply, closed his eyes and finally slipped into a dreamless sleep. 
 
*
 
Jonghyun was standing in the middle of the corridor, in his arms was a stack of parchment, when he tried to read them they appeared blank. 
He was waiting for Taemin.
He looked at the window and wondered why he was meeting Taemin so late. The moon was already up and there was no other light in the corridor. Suddenly the windows shattered, Jonghyun was startled and shielded his eyes; dropping his parchment in the process but to his surprise there was no glass just an empty window pane.  He wondered if the sound of the glass shattering woke the portraits but he saw they were all blackened. 
 
Jonghyun then saw the silhouette of a person down the corridor, when he squinted he could clearly see Taemin walking towards him. Although he looked slightly different it was unmistakably Taemin, he was shorter and so was his blonde hair, his face was chubbier but he was still very lean. He stopped in front of Jonghyun and was as blank as the pages of parchment. 
 
"Taemin-ah I was waiting for you" he said but then Taemin's face turned sour and he shoved Jonghyun to the ground. Jonghyun was confused and scared by Taemin's behaviour before he could even ask why the other spoke "why are you even speaking to me! Who even are you!?" Jonghyun was hurt, truly hurt "Taemin it's me, Jonghyun" Jonghyun stretched his hand out to Taemin looking into his dark eyes for any signs of recognition but then his cheek started to sting and he heard what he thought was glass snapping. 
 
"It couldn't be. could it? Did Taemin just hit me?" Jonghyun thought, he swore he heard faint banging and someone shouting his name but all he could hear was the younger Taemin's vicious voice "Don't touch me! Don't act like you know me!" 
 
He tried so desperately to hold back his tears but he couldn't. He was no longer in control. "Pathetic" Taemin hissed as he walked away. His footsteps growing fainter while another pair of footsteps grew closer, more hurried footsteps. He looked up to see Taemin, the real Taemin running towards him and shouting something inaudible. He raised his arms ready to be embraced by the older.
 
"Jonghyun!" 
 
He was awake. Minho by his side along with Baekhyun, the two looked worried and Jonghyun started to cry. Minho then moved himself onto the bed and put his arms around Jonghyun and gently rocked him "shhhhhhh Jjong, it was just a nightmare, I'm here now" he noticed Baekhyun pat his back, whisper a "sleep well" and then leave his side and return to his bed, Jongdae and Chanyeol remained asleep. 
After a few minutes Jonghyun calmed down completely and Minho made a move to leave his bed, Jonghyun only held onto him tighter "Min, can you sleep with me tonight. Please" 
 
As a child whenever Jonghyun would have nightmares he would sneak into Kibums bed for comfort and vice versa. Without Kibum, Jonghyun had to make do with his second source of comfort. His second 'brother', Minho. 
"Of course, Jjong" Minho calmly replied as he lay down beside him, his arms still wrapped around him in a protective manner. 
 
Jonghyun closed his eyes and pretended to sleep, when he heard Minho's heartbeat steady he opened his eyes again. He thought of Taemin, he knew it was a dream and Taemin as he is now would never act in such a way but he still felt his his cheek sting. He hoped Taemin was having better dreams than he and after what seemed like hours Jonghyun fell back asleep.