Amortentia

Orchideous

 

"Lee!" Kibum called from his bed in the Slytherin dorm. Taemin rolled his eyes and gruffly replied "Kim!"

It was slowly drawing closer to curfew and all of the fifth year Slytherin boys were preparing for bed, well at least that's what Taemin would be doing if not for the persistent pestering of his roommate. "Seriously come here!" Taemin turned to give his best friend a knowing look but saw Kai was practically unconscious and already beginning to drool; he grimaced and made his way towards Kibum's bed. He didn't even bother to sit by Kibum and instead opted to lean against the wooden frame of his four poster bed

"what"

Kibum answered while applying whatever odd substance to his face and looking into a small compact mirror. "Sooooooo Valentine's Day is coming up" "I know" Taemin could already tell where the conversation was going and he wanted to end it swiftly however he couldn't simply walk away and ignore Kibum so he responded as expected.

"You're going on a date with Jjongie, right?" "No" Kibum snapped his compact shut and starred up at Taemin like he was in a circus freak show. "You're kidding right?" Taemin shrugged awkwardly and looked away. "Listen to me, Lee. Jjongie likes all that cheesy kind of stuff, you have to take him out for Valentine's Day, did you have anything planned?" Kibum huffed and patted the space next to him on the bed, inviting Taemin to join him. "We both just agreed to be together; stay in castle, study I suppose-" "no, Lee. You must be joking now, are you romantically inept?" Taemin had a headache at this point "Kibum, Jonghyun told me that's what he wanted to do" Kibum seemed to be frustrated as well as he used his thumb and forefinger to massage his brow "I get that, but trust me I know what he wants; I can tell he really wants you to do this for him-" "well actually I can tell that he doesn't-" "okay firstly don't interrupt me, that's rude" Kibum's eyes were blazing and he was glaring daggers at Taemin who immediately shut his mouth again "secondly, I don't want to hear about your soulmate . Thirdly, Jjongie is a really humble person he may say he doesn't want to be taken out or all that but deep down he wants to be taken care of and you know he deserves to be"

Taemin thought about it for a moment before retaliating with his own question "are you and Choi doing anything for Valentine's Day then?" Kibum was mortified, he went bright red and his mouth kept opening and closing while he thought of a response; he finally frowned and pushed Taemin off his bed "mind your own business!"

 

*

 

The next morning Taemin found Jonghyun seated at the Gryffindor table with his twin as per usual, eating his breakfast while Kibum picked at his food. "Hey" Taemin greeted his boyfriend with a kiss to the cheek and an arm wrapped around his shoulders. Jonghyun returned the greeting by nuzzling into Taemin's embrace "hi" Taemin's palms were sweating and he was clearly nervous; he tried to suppress his own thoughts and try to at least surprise Jonghyun. "So Valentine's Day is pretty soon" Jonghyun nodded and continued to eat. Kibum was listening attentively and smiled to himself. "D-do you want to go to Hogsmead?" Taemin stuttered out, trying to keep his heartbeat under control but Jonghyun's confused frown when he turned to face him, sent him into panic mode, internally; he seemed perfectly calm on the outside. "What for? Do you need to buy something?"

Kibum snorted but disguised it as a cough, he looked away and tried to look innocent when the couple snapped their heads to look at him. Taemin cleared his throat and made his intentions more clear. "No I mean like a date. With me. Will you go on a date with me?" Jonghyun's mouth made a 'o' shape as he finally understood; he blushed and bit his lip "you don't have to ask, we're already dating"

From the corner of Taemin's eye, he saw Kibum making rapid turning movements with his index finger; he took this as a sign to say something extra to Jonghyun. "I wanted to ask, it's more special if I ask and you're special" Jonghyun didn't say anything but he couldn't stop smiling to the point where his cheeks began to hurt, he leaned into Taemin fully and burred his head into Taemin's chest. Kibum took this opportunity to mime vomiting and mouth "too much" but Taemin didn't care. The words felt awkward being spoken out loud, in public but they weren't untrue.

 

*

 

Thankfully the day of St Valentine fell on a Sunday. The great hall was filled with the aroma of flowers; owls were whizzing past everyone's heads, dropping bouquets of flowers into many students laps, Jonghyun was watching expectantly for any sign of Taemin's owl but when the post run ended he sulked slightly. He was seated with Kibum (who smiled sympathetically) and Minho (who scoffed) "he doesn't even get you flowers, some boyfriend" Kibum smacked Minho's chest to shush him. Jonghyun fiddled and shrugged "maybe I should've gotten him flowers"

At that moment Taemin waltzed into the great hall, a unique bouquet in his hand. Jonghyun recognised them as flowers from Taemin's personal garden. He uprooted his precious plants just for Jonghyun and the two outshone every couple with their daily nauseous canoodling.

Kibum crossed his arms over his chest and gave Minho one of his looks. Minho stared back with a mouth full of food that he slowly swallowed "what?" He asked as nicely as possible but he spat slightly on Kibum's face. Kibum clicked his tongue and wiped away the spit "where are my flowers?" Minho rolled his eyes but conjured a single rose at the table and passed it to a satisfied Kibum.

*

Jonghyun and Taemin were sitting across from each other in Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop. They held hands from across the table and tried their best to keep up a conversation amongst the sound of all the other couples, some displaying much more physical forms of public affection. Every other minute a gold cherub would hover over their rounded table and throw pink confetti on them. Taemin grumpily shooed them away; they reminded him of winged insects. They both thought the whole place was too much, Jonghyun (Kibum) had suggested the place and he was now feeling extremely guilty for dragging Taemin to a place where he didn't fit in. He was a complete contrast to the washed out pastel decor and the look on his face wasn't like the other loved up teenagers in the shop.

Jonghyun took one last sip of his tea and squeezed Taemin's hand to get his attention "let's leave, okay?" Taemin smiled and nodded. With their hands still conjoined they left their table and after five minutes of squabbling over who would pay, they set off into Hogsmead with no plan. Oblivious to the eyes watching from a distance. Jonghyun stared at his feet and shoveled against the melting snow when an idea popped into his head. "Do you want to see something cool?" He asked excitedly and Taemin said "always" just as eagerly.

*

"Do you see them? I think they went that way?" Kibum held his binoculars up and stared at the path he saw his twin and Taemin head down. Minho was at his side, unused binoculars in his hands and a look of disbelief on his face "I can't believe you're actually following them" Kibum snapped in retaliation "well I can't believe you're still complaining! If you don't want to be here then leave!" Minho didn't really want to leave Kibum's side but he didn't see the point in stalking the other couple. He was trying to get over Jonghyun, he didn't need their perfect relationship shoved in his face. "I still don't know why you brought these" minho said as he held up the binoculars, a foreign contraption for a pureblood. "I still don't know why you're in love with my brother!" Kibum hissed, not realizing he spoke out loud.

He immediately faced Minho in shock and Minho mirrored his face. The air around them was stale and cold. Minho made the first move and reached out for the Slytherin "Kibum........don't be like that" but before he could even touch him, Kibum flinched away and changed his expression to an uncharacteristic cheerful one "I'm fine! Are you hungry? I'm not but if you are then we could go eat. That sounds like a good idea! Let's go to-" "Can't we talk?" "No!" Kibum spat, he closed his eyes, took a deep breath in and when he exhaled, he was completely calm. "Let's just go" the two silently stalked off to the nearest pub in hopes of finding food.

When they did, they awkwardly sat in the Three Broomsticks, eating in silence. Only Minho was eating while Kibum picked at the food he was pressured into ordering, rearranging his plate. Minho noticed this "Why aren't you eating" "I'm not hungry; I already told you" but at that moment Kibum's stomach let out a roar of hunger and he was mortified, his face became the same color as his dyed pink hair. Minho put his own fork down and looked at Kibum who was avoiding his stare "I always see you do that" "do what?" Kibum asked, pretending not to know his own habits. "You always poke around your food but you barely eat"

Kibum looked down sadly at his plate and wrapped his arms around his middle. "You know you're skinny right?" Minho added and Kibum looked happy for a fleeting moment before his scowl returned "I'm not that skinny" Minho scoffed "says who?" Kibum answered with so much spite and resentment in his voice "Arisa" "ex?" Kibum nodded, still refusing to meet Minho's eyes. "I'm not like Jjongie, I gain weight very easily and I guess it's not an attractive quality to have. Not desirable-" "well that's bull!" Minho interrupted, many people looked at their table due to his outburst but he didn't care. "Kibum you shouldn't be starving yourself because of what some said! I'm glad you two broke up, you don't need someone like that putting you down!"

Kibum finally looked at Minho, he felt like crying but he held it in, Minho looked at him expectantly and Kibum finally scooped food into his fork and ate.

"Thanks Choi, I can get really self conscious sometimes"

"You have nothing to be self conscious about

 *

Jonghyun and Taemin walked further and further out of Hogsmead until they were on a woodland path, Jonghyun leading the way. They stopped upon meeting a broken fence overlooking a field and a crooked looking house. The shrieking shack.

"So you wanted to come to the shrieking shack? You know what people do in there right? I would personally prefer somewhere more private or special for our first time" Taemin laughed at Jonghyun's expression when he said that, the Gryffindor looked like he had a raging fever and he covered his mouth to muffle the squeak he made at the not so innocent suggestion. He recovered not as quickly as he'd like and punched Taemin's arm with enough force to make him stagger slightly, Taemin only laughed.

"I just thought the view from here was always the best when the snow started melting! I wasn't thinking about that!" Jonghyun crossed his arms over his chest and looked out towards the house. "I bet you're thinking about it now though" Taemin leaned down and purposely blew into Jonghyun's ear. Jonghyun immediately squeaked again and pushed Taemin away "Lee Taemin!" Taemin held his hands up in defense but he didn't feel the least bit guilty "I'm sorry, I love you" Jonghyun couldn't help but smile and he pecked Taemin's lips "I love you too, but you're still crude" Taemin leaned in for more than a peck "I'm an innocent boy" Jonghyun couldn't contain his laughter

. Jonghyun was right about the view. Taemin looked on, taking in the tranquility of everything, winter fading into spring. The snow was indeed melting and although it left a slippery mush around the castle it looked stunning from his position; peaks of green were shooting out of the white and small buds were everywhere. The rustling of newly formed leaves and the creaking of the shaking shake were soothing. They shared each other's warmth and exchanged kisses ever so often, completely in love and immersed in each other, as young lovers are.

"Taemin, will you be my valentine?"

"Only if you'll be mine"