A change of scenery

Orchideous
 
"Wakey wakey, love birds" a soothing, American voice dragged Jonghyun out of his peaceful sleep; he awoke to a face full of Taemin's hair and he greedily inhaled the fresh smell that lingered from the night before however the putrid smell of blood was still present in his nostrils. Jonghyun looked up slightly and saw Tiffany hovering over him, she stood there with two mugs in her hands and a bright smile that almost made Jonghyun wince. "I'll just leave these here" she then left the two alone, still intertwined in their post-morning bliss. 
 
Jonghyun tried to go back to sleep but nothing worked, he sighed and regretfully sat up, wriggling out of Taemin's arms and waking him in the process. He reached for the mugs and passed one to a groggy Taemin. They sat there in perfect silence, awkwardly slurping their tea; neither speaking, not knowing what to say. Jonghyun finally broke the silence "how are you feeling?" It was barely a whisper but Taemin heard. "better" 
Jonghyun rested his head on Taemin's shoulder and nuzzled his neck as he always did. "I'm glad"
 
 
And so began their strenuous day of having to explain to their friends where they were the night before in the most believable way possible.
Krystal and Kai were suspicious and worried, they were very familiar with Taemin's cold exterior and his sudden bursts of anxiety but knowing Jonghyun was with him put them at ease. Taemin didn't even flinch when the two made a grab for his wrists.
Jonghyun on the other hand was interrogated by Kibum and Minho; mostly Kibum.
 
"Where were you?" 
"With Taemin"
"What happened" 
"It's not my story to tell, Bummie" 
Kibum sighed and rubbed his temples while Minho stared at the blonde twin intensely. "Did you sleep with Lee?" The question completely caught Jonghyun off guard as he managed to splutter out "w-what?" 
Minho clenched his teeth before repeating himself "Did. You. Sleep. With. Lee?" 
 
He thought about it for a moment then he answered truthfully "yes, I guess I did" 
The response was an immediate uproar. Kibum clung to his side, screeching in absolute glee "Jjongie! You have to tell me everything! Every last detail!" While Minho was paralyzed in shock and disbelief. Jonghyun shyly laughed at his twin not understanding what all the fuss was about. "Well it's not at all how I imagined it would be" Kibum patted Jonghyun on the back but continued to listen attentively "Jinki-ssi gave us some blankets but the sofa was a bit uncomfortable and now I think I have a strain in my neck" then the confusion set in for both Kibum and Minho. "Never the less we had a good nights sleep!" 
Kibum's face fell in disappointment while Minho was clutching his sides because he was laughing so hard. 
 
Kibum groaned "that's not what that means" he crossed his arms in a huff but Minho never looked happier, he was reminded of why he fell for Jonghyun in the first place; his innocence. and even Taemin who heard the conversation from the crevice of his mind, chuckled in fondness. 
Taemin had since calmed completely, his cool aura returning and resting on his head, his burden and fears not gone but no longer running rampage in their attempts to ruin his life nor were they pushed to the side as they usually were; it was a dilemma he's never faced before but he now knew he could handle it.
 
He finally understood himself; the fear of rejection and abandonment as embarrassing as they, were warranted and he had the right to feel the way he did, Jonghyun made him realize that. Jonghyun made him realize a lot things; at the beginning it was academic (and still was ever other day) but now it was unexplainable in both the magical and muggle sense. His other half; the one that filled the void from years of abuse but never erased their scars; only the physical ones.
 
*
 
Surprisingly; it wasn't hard to explain their predicament to Kibum and even easier for the twin's mother. She gushed through her letters about how selfless her little Key was, offering to take the poor boy in. 
 
It would be hard for Taemin; pretending to be close with Kibum and not being able to glue himself to Jonghyun would be a challenge in itself, they've been practicing for weeks in advance and Kibum had proven himself to be a fine actor, sparking conversation with Taemin as if they were best friends, keeping his petty remarks to himself and even smiling at Taemin. Jonghyun even suggested the absurd idea of it being genuine but he dismissed it.
 
Soon the time came for their plan to be put into action. Jinki hugged him before entering the prefects compartment, Jinki showing affection for his little brother wasn't new but he gripped Taemin and looked almost pained when he pulled away. A dark sense of foreboding hanging over both of their heads while Jonghyun was blissfully unaware.
The train ride itself was otherwise completely uneventful, with Jonghyun explaining in detail his fathers disinterest with anything magical and his mothers doting but Taemin's mind was elsewhere. 
 
He stared out the window fitting into his angsty teenage stereotype, nightmares of childhood abandonment replaced with those of snatchers and the screams of young purebloods but he had to think of something else, anything to not make Jonghyun worry.
After literal hours of painful small talk Jonghyun's warmth left his side, signalling the train stopping. He was pulled onto busses and taxis and for the first time in Taemin's life he had to pull his own luggage but he didn't dare complain, he didn't need Kibum squawking in his ear about being spoilt. 
 
When they finally arrived Taemin was ed into the arms of a woman that looked exactly like Jonghyun. He didn't know what to do or how to respond but twin's pointed looks told him to behave like a normal human being and be polite. He was mothered by someone who wasn't his mother; she was his boyfriend's mother who was completely blind to the fact the two were not only dating but were literally made for each other. None the less she smothered him as if he was her son in-law. 
"I'm going to complain one day about what that school is feeding you all, I swear you're all so skinny" she tutted in a voice just as airy and soft as Jonghyun. 
 
Jonghyun's father however was much more brash, perhaps because of Taemin's pureblood status or simply his disinterest with the boy; he offered a firm handshake similar to his own father.
 
In the rush to prepare food for the now family of five Taemin was left alone in a lounge filled with pictures. He closely examined each one, some from the recent past and others not so. His favourite being one of the twins when they were no older than six, they were dressed in a hideous, burgundy school uniform but Jonghyun's toothy smile couldn't be more adorable, even with missing teeth, his eyes being their mismatched colour and his his hair cut short, in Taemin's eyes he looked no different. He was still Jonghyun. His Jonghyun. 
 
He heard a small scuffle and then a yap. It was Roo. He's heard so many stories about the little dachshund, she was Jonghyun's muse, what inspired his music and she was currently his shoe. He crouched to her level and she wagged her tail in response. That was when he heard another small scuffle, it was Jonghyun; he practically glowed and looking up at his smile would forever become one of his favorite memories. Taemin hated to admit it but he honestly couldn't tell whether his affection was directed at him or the dog. 
 
"She's usually afraid of strangers" Jonghyun crouched as well, rubbing Roo's stomach as she rolled over. "Well so were you" Taemin replied, to anyone else it would seem like a cruel jab but to Jonghyun they were kind words "I suppose you bring the best out of both of us" 
 
Their moment was cut off by another yap from Roo and Taemin joined in the tummy rubbing.
 
The rest of the evening was embarrassing for Taemin. He wanted to cry every other second, not because Jonghyun's family were rude or unwelcoming it was because they were the opposite. It was perhaps the first time in his life he'd seen what a real family was like. Right before his eyes he saw motherly affection; He saw a cliché father complaining about work and ruffling his sons hair, it was all overwhelming and Jonghyun wanted nothing more than to reach out for his hand but at this moment in time Taemin wasn't his boyfriend, he was Kibum's friend and their contact was left to a minimal.
 
"Oh that's a lovely ring! Jjongie has one just like it!" 
 
The teenagers all froze. Kibum played with his food, Taemin awkwardly laughed and Jonghyun gave an award winning performance. He didn't even bother to look up from his plate as he fiddled with his ring, looking completely bored "really? I hadn't noticed" 
Taemin tried his best not to laugh as the twins mother continued to fuss "I'm being serious! They look almost identical. Taemin sweetheart, where did you buy yours?" 
Taemin shrugged "it was a gift"
 
*
 
The family pulled a spare mattress from their attic and placed it in the middle of the twin's room. Taemin sat down, looking from side to side of the room as if he was watching a tennis match. The twins were fighting. All Jonghyun wanted was for Taemin's mattress to be pulled slightly towards his side (at least that's what he told his brother) but Kibum wouldn't stand for it, he was so excited when he misunderstood that the two "slept together" but the mer thought of them sharing any affection for each other in front of him made him gag. 
 
"He staying away from you! He's a teenage boy and you know what they say! They only have one thing on their minds!" Kibum tried to keep his voice as low as possible so their parents wouldn't hear. Jonghyun whined "Kibum! I'm also a boy!" "That's why you two need to be separated!" Kibum jumped up, now standing on his bed and Jonghyun did the same. "So this is how normal siblings fight?" Taemin remembered trying to size up Jinki in a similar way however the way they fought was far more serious. 
 
Jonghyun huffed and sat back down, bouncing a little "fine I'll just wait for you to fall asleep" Kibum stuck his tongue out before flopping down and covering himself with his duvet. "I better not hear a peep from your side or Lee is dead!" 
Jonghyun did a small victory dance before beckoning Taemin to join him. It was completely innocent, similar to how they cuddled in the head's dorm but much more comfortably. Jonghyun rested his head on Taemin's chest and wrapped his arms around his small middle while Taemin placed a unnecessary protective arm around Jonghyun. They felt like they were floating, as if nothing and no one could possibly ever keep them apart and in that moment they were in paradise. 
 
Jonghyun lightly kissed Taemin's exposed collarbone "I love you" Taemin kissed Jonghyun's forehead "I love you too" 
"I hear peeps" Kibum's voice cut in and they both laughed. 
They felt the cool metal from each other's rings on their skin in contrast to the fire whenever they touched. It was always easy to fall asleep in Taemin's arms. Taemin always preferred dreamless nights because of his haunting nightmare but with Jonghyun in his arms he could finally chase them away.