First glance

Orchideous
 

"Taemin" Jinki sighed "Jinki" Taemin repeated in the same exasperated tone, "you know why we're having this conversation, right?" Jinki said as he looked up at the younger from his love seat in the heads dormitory, his honey colored locks falling into his eyes as he pushed his glasses further up the bridge of his nose with his index finger. 

 
Lee Jinki, head boy, model student, Ravenclaw's pride and joy, the quote on quote "golden child" of the Lee family.
Taemin scoffs "because it's your duty as a self righteous to reprimand me?" "Because it is my duty as your brother to make sure you're doing well in school!" Jinki rose, his eyes level with his brother "your older brother as a matter of fact and you will address me as such" "sorry, hyung" Taemin said, failing to make his words seem the tiniest bit sincere. 
 
Lee Taemin, fifth year, Slytherin's fastest seeker in almost a century, self proclaimed "plant boy" and currently the proud owner of his years lowest marks, being mediocre in every possible subject except, of course; herbology. 
 
"You're doing O.W.Ls this year" the eldest said in much softer voice "I am well aware" "you need to get your act together" Taemin's lips spread into a "genuine" smile (as genuine as he could muster) "I will hyung, just trust me, by the way where's Tiffany? You weren't with her on the train so I was just curious"
Jinki raised an eyebrow at his obvious attempt to detour his attention "as head girl Tiffany is busy with head duties" "then shouldn't you be as well?" Taemin asked, a smug expression plastered on his face. "Enough Tae, since you refuse to listen to me I have no other option, you will have a tutor" 
Taemin's smug face was soon replaced by one of hilarity "HA! Just the way you said it made it sound so serious, Jinki you really crack me up" 
"This is serious, if you fail to find yourself a tutor then I will provide one for you, if you don't pass your O.W.L.S then I'm afraid I won't be the one who will punish you, you will have to face the reality of your own failure yourself" both brothers were now in a fight for dominance as they stared each other down.
 
 "you're so formal Jinki, maybe this head boy position is getting to your head" Jinki softened once more, placing his hand on the others shoulder "I'm doing this because I care, don't give up yet. You still have time to turn this around, it's a new year, a new start" 
Taemin shook the hand off his shoulder; promptly turned his back on his brother and left, leaving a disgruntled Jinki behind.
 
The Lee's were a pureblood family and very wealthy, the day their first son was born they were pleased that they had an heir but were not overjoyed and were extremely underwhelmed by the birth of their second son.
Due to their parents utter disinterest in them, the boys were raised by nannies until they were able to feed, dress and wash themselves, Jinki as the oldest was forced to grow up very quickly for the sake of his brother, being the stern fatherly figure and the gentle motherly one despite Jinki being only two years older than Taemin. 
 
Taemin soon began to act out in hopes of catching his parents attention.
He wanted them to praise him, scold him, anything, but they were indifferent with whatever Taemin did. He excelled in school, they didn't care, he purposely caused trouble with other students and developed a reputation as a bully, they didn't care. They only "cared" that Jinki did well but even then he only received a pat on the back. 
 
While Jinki learned to move past it and get the love and attention from others Taemin became resentful and stopped trying all together. 
 
 
*
 
Jonghyun was seated at the Gryffindor table; Minho on his right in red and his twin, Kibum, on his left in green. Since the fall of voldemort thirty years prior there was a rise in interhouse relationships and now it was common to see those of different houses eat together. 
 
 Sooman had already given his headmasters address and thus the feast began. As Jonghyun loaded his plate with food he noticed a late arrival "Lee Taemin" he thought as he recognized the wavy bleached mop atop his head and his cherub face void of any emotion. Jonghyun was so distracted by him that he didn't notice his plate would be more suitable for someone twice his size.
 
"You're really going to eat all that, 
Jjong?" Asked an amused Minho, "leave him alone, Choi! Jongie has been so skinny lately, if he wants to eat let him eat!" Sneered Kibum.
Embarrassed but pleased with the attention Jonghyun quickly hushed his brother "it's fine, I just wasn't paying attention and who are you calling skinny?!" The trio laughed even though they all knew it was true that Jonghyun was below average in both weight and height. 
 
Kim Kibum and Choi Minho, Jonghyun's twin brother and his best friend. Two opposing forces with similarities only Jonghyun could see. Both were kind, competitive, popular and strikingly handsome. 
Kibum with his elegant cat-like features, perfect skin, slim physique and perfectly styled hair that changed colour every month, this month was lime green.
 
Minho had doe eyes, pouty lips, and high cheekbones, his long brown hair was often tied back as to keep it in order, he was also very tall and towered over Jonghyun whenever the two were together.
Jonghyun often thought the two resembled models and felt self conscious about his plain appearance. Although his eyes were big they lacked the certain 'sparkle' he saw in others, although his hair was the very unique color of white, to him it lacked shine, although he was slim, people would often say it was unhealthy and that he resembled a skeleton. 
 
To add to his dissatisfaction Jonghyun  also had dark bags under his eyes due to his insomnia on the other hand  because of his insomnia Jonghyun was able to study late at night with little to no distractions from others and study he did. Surpassing all of his classmates he is currently ranked the top of his year. 
Jonghyun often wondered why he was placed in Gryffindor instead of Ravenclaw or even Hufflepuff but he knew better than to question the sorting hat. 
 
The kim twins are half bloods, born from a muggle father and magical mother, Jonghyun was often bullied as child and this only doubled his torment as both muggle and wizard children were cruel to him. Kibum, the more confident twin acted as his protecter. 
 
The two were connected by the hip and when they were sent to hogwarts and sorted into different houses they were devastated, although they knew it would happen, the reality of being separated after being side by side even before they were born still affected them. Jonghyun needing to depend on someone clung to the most intimidating (tall) Gryffindor of his year, Minho. 
 
Minho being the kind heart he is, never minded Jonghyun and the two quickly developed a close bond. Kibum on the other hand wanted Jonghyun to continue to depend on him and was jealous that he had been replaced so quickly "and by Choi of all people" he thought bitterly. None the less the three would always eat dinner together with Jonghyun in the middle as to avoid any conflict.
 
They ate and then went their separate ways, Jonghyun and Minho to the Gryfinndor tower and Kibum to the dungeons.
Jonghyun's thoughts still lingering on a particular blonde Slytherin.