Chapter 6

Refuse To Lose

As active as Yuri was, she never enjoyed waking up in the morning. She'd sleep forever if she could, but the actual existence of education and the need for her vitamin D provoked her to get off the bed. The sun's rays greeted her as she opened her curtains, revealing the poor neighbourhood she lived in. 

Yuri admitted it. She wasn't a big city girl and she barely did shopping, but she wanted to at least experience having a bit more than enough money. She didn't want to be rich or anything but she wanted to feel like she could survive.

Before her parents divorced, the whole family was living off her mother's money. Yuri knew it drove the lady insane, so she bothered her mother less and tried harder in school, making her mother proud and less worrisome. She wasn't one of those spoilt children who asked for everything.

And she never interfered when her parents fought. She wasn't allowed to.

Yuri could only pay for so much with the money she earned from her job. She wasn't allowed to do anything else without the man's permission. She was living in hell.

The tanned girl practically dragged her way towards the bathroom, getting ready to wash the gunk off her face from last night. She sighed as she looked into the mirror, observing the dark, purple bruise on her cheekbone reminding her of her daily life.

She pressed a finger against it only to wince in pain, physically and mentally.

Not knowing how to cover up the mark, she got ready for school and made her way towards her bag, checking if everything was in there.

Focused, she unpacked and mentally checked everything off. Her eye caught a glimpse of an unknown, brown covered book hiding between a few others, realising that she’d never own a book that colour.

What is this?

She took it out to reveal a large sketchbook, a picture of a particular brown bear on the front cover.

Oh great. I took the idiot's book by accident. Yuri face palmed herself before putting the book back in her bag, reminding her to give it to the choding when she gets to school.

Yuri walked past the living room, hoping to God her dad wasn't awake. She didn't want to have to deal with another scar.

Softly, she heard the familiar snores in the master bedroom and sighed in relief. It wasn't rare for her father to be asleep anyways.

Yuri would've left the moment she walked past the living room, but she couldn't unless she wanted to be beaten again. Her father always woke up to expect breakfast on the table and Yuri wasn't that stupid to disobey.

She quickly made an American styled breakfast before fast-walking out the door, feeling relieved as she closed it behind her.

She would've left permanently if she wanted to. She could do it right now and go live with her mother, but that's not what her mum would want. She knew he couldn't live without someone there to support him with his financial problems.

You might think Yuri's mum was just sacrificing her daughter to take the beating, but they both agreed to it. Even if her father was abusive, she still cared for him. She knew she wouldn't be here without him.

Yuri sighed and caught the bus to school. The first thing she did was search for a certain doe-eyed girl.

She could feel everyone's eyes on her. More specifically, her cheek. The bruise must've gotten worse and was bringing too much attention to the former new student. 

She quickly made her way through the hall to avoid any curious students, spotting Tiffany, Jessica and Taeyeon conversing near her locker. She walked towards them and tapped Tiffany on the shoulder, stealing the shorter girl's attention from her group.

"Oh! Yuri, hey!"

"Hi Tiffany. Do you know where Yoona is?"

All three girls looked at each other, puzzled. They wondered why Yuri would be looking for their friend.

"I accidentally took her book instead of mine."

"Yeah, accidentally..." Jessica mumbled sarcastically under her breath, making sure Yuri didn't hear her.

"Oh yeah. You're her tutor now, right? She told us about that."

"Yeah I am..." 

"She's practising on the field." Taeyeon pointed her thumb over her shoulder, signalling where the field was.

Yuri thanked them and was about to take her leave before feeling a firm grip on her wrist. She turned around to face a concerned Tiffany.

"Yuri, what's this bruise on your face?"

Yuri pulled away and softly touched her cheek, trying to cover up the mark. "I fell last night..."

"Damn...Looks like a big fall." Taeyeon squinted her eyes at the bruise. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I didn't feel a thing."

"Strong girl. Be careful next time." Tiffany gave a sincere smile, making Yuri return one herself. For a second, she almost felt like the shorter girls cared.

"Will do."

She bid them a goodbye before walking towards the football field, her hand was softly covering her bruise to not worry anymore students.

***

Yuri spotted Yoona running around with the ball at her feet. Her other teammates were around her while her coach watched on the sidelines. Yuri couldn't bring herself to interrupt the athlete so instead, she stood at the bench, observing the team. She was supposed to find Yoona displeasing but right that moment, she didn't know what the word even meant.

She didn't want to admit it, but she was truly mesmerised.

Yuri usually found sweat to be disgusting on other people, but the way Yoona's pony tail swung from side to side, and how she'd slick her loose hair back, she thought of it to be quite...y?

Oh my god, Yuri. What the hell is wrong with you? Compose yourself.

Yuri looked away the moment Yoona spotted her. Yoona gave a confused look and turned to Sooyoung. Her friend only shrugged before nodding towards the coach.

"Uhh coach!"

The old man turned around to face his favourite player. "I gotta do a number one!"

All her teammates burst out laughing while the coach looked at her incredulously. He motioned her to go and so she went. As she was walking off, she looked at Yuri and nodded her head towards the bleachers, wanting her to follow.

Yuri did as told, predicting the younger girl wouldn't want anyone seeing them talking. Yuri still didn't know the reason for this.

Behind the bleachers, Yuri found Yoona giving her a wide smile.

"Miss me?"

The tanned beauty scoffed and glared at the choding in front of her. "Not at all. I just came to give back your maths book. I took it by accident."

"Accident. Right~"

Yoona took back her maths book and was about to tease Yuri even more until she saw her walking away. In an instant, she grabbed a hold of Yuri's arm, preventing her from going anywhere.

"Hey, wait a minute."

Yuri turned around and sent another glare to the younger girl, making her retract her hand. "Right. No touching but just hold on."

Yoona leaned in to get a better look at the other girl's face, getting a little too close for the latter's liking.

"What happened here?" She pointed to Yuri's cheek, curiosity taking over. "That wasn't there yesterday, was it?"

"I fell last night."

Yoona raised an eyebrow at the answer. "No one gets a bruise like that just from falling."

"You can..."

"Oh yeah? How so?" Yoona folded her arms and waited for Yuri's answer.

"I fell down the stairs, okay?" Yuri didn't want to play 21 questions right now.

The younger could tell she was lying because Yuri only had a single storey house, but in fear of chasing her away, Yoona didn't say anything but nodded.

"Are we done talking?" Yuri asked a little annoyed.

"Nope."

"Seriously, Yoona. What do you want?"

"Well for starters, how about your number?" Yoona smirked as she spotted the pink tint in the older girl's cheeks.

"W-what? Why?" Yuri stammered.

"Why not?"

"Yo-you don't even need it..."

Yoona came up with an excuse to get the other girl's number. "I can call you if I need help with something, or if you need to look for me again, you don’t have to come up to the field." 

She gave Yuri one of her charming smiles, hoping she'd fall prey to it just like everyone else. 

Yuri really couldn't resist the smile Yoona was giving her. She wanted to decline, but there was nothing wrong with giving the younger girl her number, right? It was for emergency purposes anyway.

"F-fine. But you better not send me pointless messages."

"I'm not promising that."

Yuri took out her phone and gave it to Yoona. She patiently waited for the choding to put in her number and vice versa before getting her phone back.

Without a goodbye, Yuri walked back towards the main school building, feeling more pleased than annoyed. Once she was out of earshot, Yoona let out a high pitched squeal as she repeatedly kissed her phone.

"Uhm, what the hell are you doing?"

She turned around to be faced with a disgusted Sooyoung, staring at her like she was a creep.

"You'd do this too if you'd gotten your crush's number!"

Sooyoung shook her head before dragging the girl to the field.

"C'mon. Coach needs you back on the field."

***

Everyone sat around the room, resting after the intense dance routine they had to learn. Each student conversed like they'd been friends for years. The community in this club made Yuri feel like she had another family.

"Yeah! Yuri and Hyo are gonna make it in for sure!" One of the boys exclaimed as they talked about the upcoming dance team auditions.

"Keep thinking like that and we just might!" Hyoyeon exclaimed while patting Yuri on the back, earning cheers from the people that filled the room.

The bell for lunch rang, making the students bid their goodbyes and leave the two dancers alone.

"I know you'll make it in."

"Well you're DEFINITELY gonna make it."

"I know, but I'm talking about you." Yuri hit her friend on the arm at her cockiness and continued packing her bag.

"Yul..."

"Yep?" She stopped, hearing the concern in her friend's voice.

Hyoyeon hesitated to speak, but she felt like she needed to know. "...Is someone hurting you?"

"Uhm, no? Why?" Yuri lied even though the proof was marked right on her cheek. She would've told the other girl, but she didn't want to worry anyone, because she knew she could take care of herself. She didn't need anyone prying into her personal life.

"No reason...uhm...if anything ever bothers you...you know you can tell me, right? We're friends after all..." Yuri smiled at how caring Hyoyeon was. No one has ever told her something like that before.

It made her miss loving people she used to trust.

"Of course, Hyo. You don't have to worry." I should be the only one worrying.

Yuri was about to continue packing when she heard those loud, familiar voices making their way towards the dance room.

"I can't believe you signed me up without my consent. I could sue you!"

"Oh please. Like the police are going to help someone like you."

Sooyoung grabbed her best friend in a headlock before giving her a noogie, feeling superior over the younger girl.

Yuri and Hyoyeon turned around to be faced with the school's Beautiful Princes, Hyoyeon scowled while Yuri raised a brow. They both wondered why they'd be in the dance room.

Sooyoung and Yoona's jaws dropped to the ground at the sight of y and exhausted Kwon Yuri. Her attire was hugging her in all the right places, showing off the goddess' curves.

"You...d-dance Yuri?"

"A little. I assume you do too seeing as you're here."

"A-a little..." Yoona couldn't talk properly with the amount of saliva forming inside .

While their little conversation was going on, Sooyoung had gained her composure and glared straight at Hyoyeon while the latter did the same thing. They could burn holes through both their heads if they had laser eyes.

Hyoyeon scoffed and grabbed Yuri by the arm. "Let's go, Yul. We can't waste our time HERE."

Yuri politely obliged, staring at Yoona longer than she was supposed to before leaving the room with her friend.

"Can you believe that chick? She just can’t help but hold grudges. I'll shove my foot up her one day, you watch."

"..."

"Yoong, are you even listening?" Sooyoung turned to find her friend still in a daze, completely ignoring her rants. "Yoona!"

"W-what? Where? Who?"

Sooyoung should've known the girl was too hypnotized to hear what she was saying. She flicked her friend on the ear before putting her bag down.

"Why did you have to like someone who's friends with an ?"

"Well..." Yoona copied Sooyoung's actions and relieved her of the weight on her shoulder. "...why'd you have to hate someone who's friends with an angel?"

***

Yuri was busily taking her books out of her locker, ready to head off to find the choding for their daily study session.

She felt different towards Yoona today. She didn't know why but she didn't despise her as much as yesterday. Yuri felt like she could bear this lesson better than the last one if she tried hard enough.

She felt a vibration in her pocket and quickly checked her phone. She found that she'd received a new text message from none other than Yoona herself.

 

From: Yoona

I parked my car behind the school :)) come find meee~ ;)

 

Well that didn't sound creepy at all. Yuri closed her locker and calmly made her way to the parking lot at the back of the school. Barely any students hung out there which was probably the reason why Yoona wanted to meet around that area.

There, she saw the familiar, white Volkswagen scirocco with a giddy Yoona leaning against the hood. The moment Yoona saw the black pearl, she instantly covered up her happiness and replaced it with a 'cool' vibe.

"Hey."

Yuri only returned a glare.

The disguise instantly faded at Yuri's action, causing the younger to frown. "Oh come ooon. Why won't you be nice to me?"

"Why should I?" Yuri retorted, making her way to the passenger's door.

"Cos I'm a fun and cute person who you should try and get to know."

"But you're also a , and you brag way too much for my liking..." Yuri stood there with her hands on her hips as she watched Yoona make her way to the driver's side. She really didn't know why she had the urge to have a conversation with her.

"I am actually a very humble person."

"Are you really? You're bragging right now."

"Nooo. I'm trying to impress you. They're two totally different things."

Yoona crossed her arms and acted like she knew what she was saying.

"I don't think they're that far off from each other..." The tanned girl opened the door and hopped in the car, not waiting for the younger's response.

When she first got into Yoona's car, she always found it to be luxurious. Because she takes the bus to school every day, she wasn't used to being in cars. The only time she's ever in one is when she goes out to places with her mother. And even then, it was never as pretty as Yoona's car.

When Yoona had got into the car, the driver turned to Yuri with an idea.

"Do you want a smoothie?"

Yuri sighed. "Yoona, we don't have enough time. Besides, I can't use my money for my own pleasure."

Yoona buckled her seatbelt and started the engine. She wanted to ask why she couldn't but kept that at the back of her head. "Everyone has time for smoothies. I'll buy them!"

"Yoona.."

"We'll be back before you know it!"

Yoona dismissed the rest of Yuri's protests and made her way to SM Juice Bar. It was her group's favourite place and she always went there with her friends just to chat. It had a fun atmosphere and there were always cheerful employees to greet them.

Not much students knew about the place, so it was where Yoona could be silly without other people from school noticing and judging her. It was one of the places she could be herself.

As soon as they arrived, Yoona ran in and sat in the booth her group always sat at. She motioned Yuri to sit across from her and she hesitantly did so.

She's a kid.

"What do you like to drink?"

Yuri didn't want to drink anything. If anyone ever paid for her, she'd have to come up with the money to pay them back and for her, that was always a struggle. "I don't think i'll drink any-"

"I already told you I'm paying. Who even turns down free drinks?!"

"But..." Yuri's eyes wandered to the table. She wringed her fingers as she thought for a while. She was worried her father would find out about the extra money she'd have to give to Yoona and if he did, well, you know what happens.

"Yuri? Are you okay?"

She mumbled something under her breath. It was so quiet, Yoona didn't catch it at all. It was just wind passing her ears.

"Pardon?"

Yuri sighed and looked at Yoona, worry in her eyes. "I...I don't have the money...to pay you back..."

Yoona stared at her unbelievably for two reasons. One, because of what she said and two, because of how shy she was acting. She found it to be extremely cute. "Pay me back?"

The once confident Yuri shyly nodded her head. The only person she was thinking about was her dad.

"Yuri...I never said anything about paying me back." The tanned girl gulped and looked up at Yoona, finding her giving a sincere smile. "I just want to hang out with you."

Was this the same cocky Yoona from before? Yuri wanted to know who the girl in front of her was and where did the narcissistic one go. She was looking at a completely different person.

"What do you like to drink? I'll order for you."

Yuri looked down at the menu in front of her, hesitant in choosing a smoothie. Throughout her life, every time she'd take something from someone, she'd always have to pay them back. So hearing something like this from someone she partly despised, it was completely new to her.

She didn't know whether to accept the offer or not. But one look at Yoona's reassuring smile, Yuri felt rude to even deny.

Unconsciously, she smiled.

"Can I...just get a watermelon smoothie?"

"Of course, you can." Yoona grinned before calling over a waiter and telling him the order, then sending him off again to make them.

Yoona turned to find Yuri staring at her and for once, it wasn't disgust in her eyes. It was wonder.

"You like strawberry?"

"And you like watermelon."

Yoona only smirked at Yuri while the latter squinted her eyes. They stayed like that for a while before a different waiter came to give their drinks.

"Okay, here's your strawberry wild smoothie and here's your waterme- Yuri?"

Yuri looked up to the sound of her name to be met with a confused expression from a familiar face.

"Sunny?" Yuri returned a shocked look before turning to Yoona. "You didn't tell me she worked here."

Yoona only shrugged. "I thought you knew."

Yuri averted her eyes back to Sunny and smiled.

The shorter girl only folded her arms and looked from Yuri to Yoona. There was so many questions running through her head, she didn't know which one to ask first. Sunny leaned in to whisper into Yuri's ear, making sure the other girl didn't hear them.

"What are you doing here? And more importantly...why are you with Im Yoona?"

Yuri chuckled before averting her eyes to Yoona, attempting to eavesdrop on the conversation.

"She wanted smoothies before we started with the tutor session."

"Tutor?"

"I already told you, remember?"

Sunny racked through her brain to find the memory and instantly, it was like a light bulb switched on. "Oh yeah! She failed maths!"

Yoona's eyes widened and scowled at Yuri. "I did not! I'm barely passing. Stop giving your friend the wrong information." 

"You still at it."

Yoona grumbled in annoyance before sipping her drink, not wanting to pay attention to the other two girls. This made the tanned girl smirk for a second before sipping her own watermelon smoothie.

All the while, Sunny was watching in amusement. She found the small exchange to be...interesting...

"You guys seem pretty close..."

Yoona abruptly turned her head and gave an uneasy stare to the waiter, gulping in the next second. Yuri only sat there, thinking nothing of it.

"We're not close. I'm just her tutor." Sunny merely nodded, not believing a single emotion being shown on the younger girl's face.

"Okay...I gotta get back to work. See you tomorrow!" She gave a wide smile and cheery wave before leaving to attend to other customers. Yuri chuckled at how quickly her mood changed, probably just to get paid more for being happy.

She then looked towards the girl sitting across her, finding her to be deep in thought.

"She was joking, you know?"

This took Yoona out of her trance to face Yuri, confusion in her eyes. "About what?"

"When she was implying we were dating."

"Oh...pfft I didn't think that at all. We're both girls anyway...ha.ha." Yoona chuckled awkwardly, trying to cover up her nervousness.

"What's wrong with two girls dating?"

Yoona froze. "Uhhhh...." She didn't know what to say. Because the majority of her school was against stuff like this, she assumed Yuri was against it as well. She didn't expect her to be okay with such a controversial topic.

Even though she was quite shocked, Yoona was also relieved Yuri was okay with it.

"Is it bad for people to love each other, Yoona?"

"N-no of course not!"

"Then what did you mean when you said "we're both girls anyway..."? What were you trying to imply?" Yuri was ticked off with the fact that the girl in front of her was possibly against something so normal in the year they were living in.

"Because...y'know...you're straight and stuff. And-"

"I never said I was straight."

"W-what?" If Yoona wasn't in public, she'd be jumping for joy. Her crush wasn't straight. That's like a once in a life time opportunity. 

"Do you always jump to conclusions like this?"

Yoona nervously nodded, taking a sip from her drink to loosen herself up with the fruity flavour. She tried to act composed, but in her head, she could hear church bells ringing in the distance.

"I'm surprised." Yuri folded her arms as she leaned back, smirking at the younger girl. "Seeing as you have the title as a 'player', I thought you would've tried all genders by now."

Yoona scrunched up her eyebrows. The tanned beauty was taunting her.

To be fairly honest, Yoona has been with girls before. Not dating them, but just to "get some". Of course, she had to make sure they didn't go to her school and they didn't associate themselves with anyone from there.

Yoona also needed to lose contact with them soon after, making it almost impossible to bump into them again. She didn't think it was that bad, because she was definitely fond of the girls. Otherwise, if she weren't, she wouldn't have slept with them in the first place.

But the only reason Yoona received the nickname 'PlayerYoong' was because students at her school lived off juicy rumours. Even if they were fake. She's only ever dated one person at her school and that was Ok Taecyeon, captain of the male football team. That was only for a month.

Now that Yoona thought of it, she had the charms to get anyone she wanted, but instead here she was, wasting it on one night stands and big ears.

Honestly, what the hell was she doing?

"I'm not a player..."

Yuri nodded, believing the younger girl, because she wasn't that stupid to believe the rumours instead. 

"I've only dated the captain of the men's soccer team."

"The one with the big ears?"

Yoona faced Yuri, a smirk plastered on the older girl’s face. "Yeah. That one."

"Do you regret it?"

"I'd rather be reborn as a broccoli than relive our relationship."

Yuri burst out laughing, making Yoona follow afterwards. They didn't know how long they laughed, but it was enough to catch the attention of passers-by.

It's been years since Yuri had been this happy. She'd never met someone as open as Yoona and she didn't know whether that trait was a good thing or a bad thing. She couldn't believe it, but she actually enjoyed talking to the star football player.

Their laughs died down before they took another sip of their drinks. "Okay, so you've never been with a girl?"

"Uhh..."

Yuri smiled, seeing the hesitation in Yoona's eyes. "I'm not going to judge you, Yoona. Did the fact that I'm not completely straight get through your head or what?"

Yoona chuckled. "Yeah, it did. It definitely did..."

"Okay then. Tell me..."

"Well..." Yoona started. She'd never told anyone but her friends that she wasn't straight, but why was she finding it easy to tell Yuri? 

Maybe because I know she's not like everyone else.

"...I've never DATED a girl. I-"

"You sleep with them?!"

Yoona nodded confidently, feeling like it was something she was supposed to be proud of.

"You're not a ?!"

This question caused Yoona to shake her head, showing off her alligator grin.

"Oh wow..." Yuri finished the contents in her cup, trying to understand the fact that Yoona has actually had before. "So you are a player?"

"I don't want to be known as one, really but judging by the definition on Urban Dictionary, I guess I’d be classified." 

Yuri laughed at the choding, finding her own seriousness to be completely non-existent.

“Guys?”

“I tried with Taecyeon but didn’t like it at all. He finished too quickly.”

This made Yuri laugh once again.

"Don't let that stop you from liking me though."

"Excuse me?" Yuri scoffed and raised an eyebrow. She wanted to wipe that smirk off her pretty face. "What makes you think I like you, you little ?"

"I never said you do, but it's not bad if you want to." 

Yoona was trying to be a little more daring and she felt like it was working when she saw Yuri lean her body on the table, squinting her eyes at Yoona.

"You're such a choding, aren't you?"

"If that's what you want me to be, then I shall be it!"

Yoona sat there, giving the older girl a cheeky smile as Yuri stood up, chuckling. "C'mon. We've been here long enough."

The star soccer player hastily stood up as well, watching as her tutor waved a goodbye to the short girl behind the counter. They both left the juice bar and made their way to Yoona's house.

Yuri didn't know what happened, but she felt like she was much more comfortable with Yoona now than a few hours ago.

She felt different. She felt happy.

***

"And that's the end of tutoring."

Yoona pouted at the girl standing in front of her. She didn't want to send Yuri home so soon. They were starting to lighten up with each other. And she was scared that by tomorrow, Yuri would be her old self again.

She'd be distant with Yoona and ignore her. Yoona didn't want tomorrow to come.

"Don't give me that face."

"You still have a little time. My parents would like to get to know their daughter's tutor."

Yuri checked the time on her watch, and found it was only a little past 8. If it were any other day before, she would've wanted to get away from Yoona as soon as possible. But right then, the idea of getting to know Yoona's family wasn't that bad.

"Fine. Only for a bit though."

"Yes!" Yoona fist pumped the air whilst jumping out of her seat. She cleaned up her desk and put Yuri's books back in her bag. All the while, Yuri stood there, finding Yoona to look similar to an energized bunny. Or an energized deer.

When she finished, Yoona turned to the older girl with a smile.

When Yuri was about to open the door, she stopped as she heard the energized deer call out to her. "Yuri?"

She turned around to be met with a shy deer this time. 

"What is it?"

"Could I...touch your cheek?"

Yuri tilted her head in confusion. Why would she ask such a weird question?

"Uhh...why?"

"Please?"

Yuri didn't think Yoona was going to stop begging, so she gave in. "Okay." 

Yoona smiled before ushering the girl to sit on her bed. She ran into the bathroom, taking out a few supplies before rushing back to Yuri.

In her hands, Yoona held a green coloured first aid kit, ready to treat Yuri's wound. 

"Yoona...you don't have to…"

"It's bothering me. I must!"

She sat beside Yuri and took out ointment. Slowly, Yoona placed it on Yuri's cheek. Yuri would've moved back at the close proximity, but right then, she didn't mind at all.

The only thing she was focusing on was Yoona, and only now did she realise how gorgeous the younger girl was. She had the cutest pair of doe eyes and finest lips. She even found her nose to be adorable. 

Yuri was liking the way the deer’s eyebrows scrunched in concentration, and how her little tongue poked out between her lips.

Before she even knew it, Yoona had finally placed a small Band-Aid on Yuri's cheek, smoothing her thumb over it before pulling away completely.

Brown orbs met doe eyes, neither of them saying a thing.

The ticking of the clock and their breathing were the only things that could be heard.

Yoona could feel her heart pounding within her chest, gradually picking up speed at each glance she took towards Yuri’s lips.

Slowly, Yoona leaned in, surprised Yuri wasn’t moving away. She tried to gulp down the knot in and swiped her tongue along her own lips. The closer she got, the more excited she became.

Yoona thought this could’ve really been it. This could’ve been the start of something good, but the moment her forehead touched Yuri’s, she felt a small hand upon her chest, halting her actions. Another piece of her heart broke.

“Yoona…”

They were so very close, but too quickly, Yoona pulled away, realising how uncomfortable she had made the black pearl.

“Ah…s-sorry…” Yoona apologised as she scratched the back of her neck.

Yuri turned away with a blush apparent on her cheeks. “It’s…okay.”

An awkward silence emitted through the air before they both stood up simultaneously.

“Let’s…go downstairs…”

They found the choding's parents in the living room, watching a game of football.

"Umma. Appa. Yuri's staying for a bit."

Both adults averted their eyes with a bright smile on their faces. "Come watch the football game with us, girls!" Yoona's father called out with excitement.

"She can't stay long, dad." 

"There's always time for football!" Yuri chuckled at how similar Yoona was to her father.

"Honey, turn it off. Won't you like to talk to Yuri?"

Mr Im paused for a bit before turning off the TV, signalling the girls to come sit with them. They both sat down beside each other, Yoona a little too close. Her mother and father smiled before Mrs Im caught the band aid on Yuri's cheek.

"Dear, what happened to your cheek?"

Yoona was quick to answer the question. "She fell down the stairs!" She said a little too happily.

Yuri awkwardly smiled at Yoona's parents, hoping they'd believe the lie.

Her mum only gave an apologetic smile while her father nodded. "So I’ve heard from Yoona that you're really good at swimming!"

"Oh, she said that, did she?" Yuri's cheeks turned pink at the fact that Yoona thought she was good at swimming. Everyone thought she was good at swimming, but why was it different when Yoona said it?

The reaction did not go unnoticed by the parents and soon, they smiled, liking Yoona's new tutor instantly. 

"How long have you been swimming?"

"Since she was 7!"

"Yoong...I think the girl can answer on her own now."

Yoona gave a sheepish smile to the tanned beauty beside her before apologizing. Instead, she sat there and played with her fingers as Yuri and her parents conversed. It was a nice sight to see her telling more about her life, but she was still being a little discreet.

"So what do your parents work as?"

In less than a second, Yoona saw the change in her tutor's eyes. She saw the worry in them and how her eyebrows scrunched up the moment 'parents' left Mr Im's mouth. 

Yoona wasn't one to pry into people's personal lives unless granted the permission and neither were her parents, but it seemed like they had gotten too lost in the conversation to know when they have stepped on a sensitive topic.

To save the trouble, Yoona looked at the clock, finding it to be a quarter to 10.

"Uhm...Yuri?"

Yuri turned to Yoona in a flash. Anything to avoid that question.

"We better go."

"Already?" Inquired Mrs Im.

"Yeah. Her dad wants her back by 10."

Her parents nodded in understanding before bidding their goodbye to the girls.

Yuri and Yoona sat in silence. The only thing that could be heard was the music on the radio and the cars driving by. Just when Yoona thought she wouldn't see open Yuri for a while, she heard the girl speak.

"Thank you..."

Yoona smiled, not taking her eyes off the road. "Sorry about my parents. They can get lost sometimes. They're not bad people."

"I know...they're amazing..."

Yuri didn't say anything else. There was nothing that needed to be said. She sat in the car with a small smile plastered on her face.

Before either of them knew it, they were in front of Yuri's house. Yoona watched Yuri sit there, thinking. 

"You okay?"

Yuri snapped out of it and turned to Yoona, quickly bringing up a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Unconsciously, Yoona reached out her thumb and ran it over the Band-Aid, smoothing its creases. "Better hope your dad doesn't see this."

For some reason, Yuri didn't pull away from the touch. She'd rather have Yoona touch her like this than have her father touch her like anything else. She didn't want to leave the car, but she only had 10 minutes before she was considered late.

Yoona pulled away her arm and smiled at Yuri. "I'll see you tomorrow..."

Yuri finally stepped out of the car. She turned to Yoona with a smile before leaving.

The younger girl waited for her to venture inside the house, before reluctantly driving away, questions about the bruise and Yuri’s parents lingering in her head.

Unfortunately for Yuri, even if she did get home before 10, her father would always find an excuse to punish her. So she waited by the door for her dad to come in and hit her like he always did.

It's been a few seconds and he was still nowhere in sight. Relieved, she hurried her way past the living room, hearing faint snores in her father's room.

Slowly to not wake her dad, she closed the door and threw herself on the bed. A buzz from her phone signalled a text message from none other than...

 

From: Yoona

Goodniiiight~ :)

 

Yuri smiled.

 

To: Yoona

Stop using your phone while driving.

 

From: Yoona

Say goodnight back first :P

 

Yuri didn't want to have to make Yoona use her phone longer so she complied.

 

To: Yoona

Goodnight Yoona.

 

From: Yoona

;)))

 

Yuri laughed and put her phone away. Hugging her pillow, she fell asleep faster than usual. And this time, she was smiling rather than having tears spill from her eyes.

This time, she was happy.

 

 

 

__________

How was that? :)))

Thanks to everyone who’s still keeping up with this fic! You don’t know how happy you make me T.T

Seriously, thank you~ c:

Just asking, do you guys still want me to do the replies, or is it annoying? xD Let me know coz I don’t want to take too much of your time~~

Anyways, have a nice day/night! :)))