Chapter 4

Refuse To Lose

Yuri had finished practising the dance routine Hyoyeon assigned to her group and was now busily finishing the contents of her water bottle. She saw the small choreographer making her way to her with a wide smile plastered on her face.

Now what?

She put her bottle back in her bag and felt a firm pat on her shoulder. 

"You're a pretty fast learner." Yuri chuckled and thanked the older girl before wiping the sweat off her forehead. Everyone was basically lounging around the place waiting for the bell to ring for lunch. No one had the energy to do anymore dancing. 

"I think you need to go for something more challenging to show off your moves, Yul."

"More challenging? What are you trying to get at?"

"Look, the school's creating their own dance team to compete with other schools around Seoul. The sign-up sheet is on the notice board and I think you'd do pretty well in that area."

Yuri was quick to turn down the offer. She wasn't one to showcase her talent just to get a little more popular. She'd rather give that opportunity to someone else in love with dancing rather than take a little more fame.

"No thanks, Hyo."

"What? Why not? Have you seen how you dance?"

Yuri smiled and sat down on the floor with Hyoyeon following suit. "I've only been here for what? 3 weeks? Maybe even less. I'm not so eager to boost my popularity."

"Who said anything about popularity? Yul, this opportunity can really help you out. You love dancing and this can work you up to becoming a great choreographer. You want to be one, don't you?"

"Well, yeah but-"

Hyoyeon cut her off before she could make up any more excuses. "No 'buts'. I'm trying out for it too so you won't be alone."

That was the last thing Yuri needed to worry about. Having no friends in a dance team made her concentrate a whole lot more. 

She contemplated on the offer for a bit. If she refused, her friend wouldn't be able to forgive her. But this was a good opportunity right? She could improve her skills and learn new techniques from other people. It would help expand her dancing style.

She really didn't know why she was refusing.

"Fine. Only because you won't let it go."

Hyoyeon had a wide grin on her face and turned to the rest of the class. "Guys, she said yes!"

They all laughed and came to wish the two best dancers good luck on the auditions before the bell rang. Yuri waved a bye to her class and told Hyoyeon she'd meet her in the cafeteria.

She took off towards the notice board, knowing exactly where it is now. She was always into dancing so she felt as if this offer could really change her for the better. And make her forget about her family for a while.

She came to a halt as she saw that familiar figure standing in front of the notice board, taking a look at what was on it. Yuri's breath hitched in as she stood there, not wanting the younger girl to see her.

Every time they saw each other, Yoona would attempt to flirt with her. Well, she assumed she was flirting with her. She'd send her winks or give her pickup lines. But that was only if it was just the two of them in the area, like if they coincidently stayed after school on the same day.

If there were other students though, Yoona acted as if Yuri didn't even exist, walking right past her in the hallways and not bothering to acknowledge her at all. She didn't know whether to be hurt or relieved.

Yuri just tried to avoid the girl altogether. If she'd see her walking on the field and their eyes meet, Yuri turns completely and walks the other direction, not waiting for Yoona to give her another one of her lame pick-up lines.

Yuri still couldn't handle being around someone as popular as Yoona. Even if she did seem like a kind person.

Yuri waited for Yoona to finish looking at the notice board, frustrated at how many students kept greeting the girl and making her lose track of what she was reading. 

Out of nowhere, one of Yoona's friends, Jessica she believes, came up beside Yoona to talk to her.

Yuri felt her eye twitch, wanting Yoona to just leave so she can write her name down on the stupid piece of paper. 

"Look at this . Our game's been postponed to next month."

Jessica rolled her eyes at her friend's obsession with soccer and looked at the notice board, roaming her eyes until it landed on a certain sign-up sheet. 

"Are you and the giant going to try out for this? It's new this year."

"I need to ask Soo first. If she's not trying then neither am I." Yoona attempted to fix her bag's annoying strap as it dug into her shoulder.

"Just write her name down. She won't have the chance to choose."

Yoona laughed at the suggestion and did as she was told. Sooyoung and Yoona knew they could dance, but students classified them as average dancers. Nowhere near as good as the master of dance, Kim Hyoyeon. To be frank, nobody could beat Kim Hyoyeon.

Jessica linked her arm with Yoona and smiled. "Can we go to the library? We have to finish our history assignment."

Yoona groaned and tried to pry her arm off Jessica but the older girl's grip was too tight.

"Can't you ask Sooyoung to do my part?"

"I'm not letting her do your work. Besides, she's already helping me with my maths. We really need to ace this subject, Yoong. Please~?" Jessica never used aegyo unless she really needed to and in this situation, aegyo was a must.

Yoona covered Jessica's face with her hand and grimaced. "Gross."

"Yoonaaaa~"

"Okay okay! Just stop doing that..." 

Jessica smiled at her victory and dragged the pouting Yoona along with her, not minding all the eyes on them. "I gotta get my bag off Sooyoung first."

"Why does she have your bag?"

"We made a bet. She's my servant for a month."

"Of course." Yoona shook her head with a smile before both girls made their way to Sooyoung's locker.

Yuri sighed in relief as the two finally left. Although she felt weird when they were together, she was glad they were gone. She dismissed the green monster inside her and stood in front of the notice board.

Are you kidding me?!

She spotted the girl's name written on the sign-up sheet for the dance team followed by Sooyoung's name with a smiley face at the end of it. Now, this was just ridiculous. Yuri wasn't going to write down her name now. How could she when 'Yoona the Great' was going to be auditioning too?

Yuri scowled and walked off towards the cafeteria, not bothering to write down her name on the stupid sign-up sheet. 

Why is she everywhere?

***

Yoona played around with the pencil in her hand as she watched her friend from across the table.​ The library was always this quiet. The only students were ones finishing up on last minute assignments or ones just trying to avoid their social life. 

"I hate libraries so much."

Jessica didn't bother to look up from her textbook but instead, shoved a book to Yoona's side. "I know you do, but sir's gonna be on our asses if we don't complete this."

Yoona scowled and took the book, flipping through the pages and acting like she was studying. But she couldn't concentrate. Her mind kept wandering to her crush's beautiful features.

She wanted to pinch those chubby cheeks she admired so much. She wanted to rest her hands on the older girl's wide hips and feel her skin under her. 

What the hell, Yoona?

Yoona slapped herself in the face, alerting her friend as she looked up from her textbook.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm...trying to get myself to focus..."

Jessica turned back down towards her textbook and smirked. "You're thinking about her, aren't you?"

"Yeah. Soo still owes me 20 bucks."

Jessica glared at the younger girl's cluelessness and closed her textbook. "Not that giant. You know who I'm talking about."

Yoona didn't answer. She just kept fiddling with the pencil between her fingers and stared at the opened book in front of her.

"Has someone already stolen my dongsaeng's heart?"

"Oh please..." Yoona rested her hands behind her head and looked at Jessica. "...it's just a small attraction."

"That's not what Sooyoung told me."

God damnit, Soo.

"It doesn't matter. I doubt she likes me." Yoona wasn't really into talking about these things with her friends but they always managed to force her into a corner and make her spill.

"How do you know? Does she still think you’re a stalker?"

Yoona ran her fingers through her hair and sighed. 

“I don’t think so, but she tries to avoid me…maybe she’s creeped out by my advances…”

Jessica shook her head. Her friend was such an amateur at relationships. She knew how Yoona acted as if Yuri didn't exist in the halls but when it's just the two of them, Yoona's more daring and confident. 

Jessica understood why because Yoona didn't want to get caught flirting with another girl in public. She knew where ever she went, there would be people watching her every move. 

She just hoped Yoona realised the mistakes she was making.

"Maybe if you stopped ignoring her…”

Yoona stopped what she was doing and leaned forward over the table, looking at Jessica in the eyes. "What did you say?"

Jessica scoffed. "I know you’re not that stupid, Yoona. Do you expect her to fall for someone who’s too scared to talk to her in public? Of course she wants nothing to do with you if you’re gonna be like this."

"What if people start up stuff? Im Yoona getting extremely close with the new girl. That’s not going to look good on my résumé!”

“Why would you even put that on your résumé?”

“I…I don’t…know…”

Jessica sighed. “Look Yoona. If you really like her and you’re not planning to play around, you need to realise what’s more important…”

Yoona was slightly confused. What was that supposed to mean? Did Jessica want her to put Yuri first, or her fame?

“Don’t worry. You’re still a newbie. You’ll understand when the time comes.”

Jessica put all her stuff back in her bag, knowing the bell was going to ring in a few minutes.

“I am not a newbie! I know what I’m doing…”

“If you knew what you were doing, you’d be dating her by now.”

Yoona scowled, knowing her friend was right. But how could she when they were both girls? Yoona didn’t know if Yuri swung that way in the first place. Was she supposed to just assume?

Yoona contemplated on an idea and wondered what she was going to do to be closer to the tanned beauty. She was going to try her best to get Yuri to like her, even before either of them ever knew it.

***

"Remember to do questions 5 to 15 for homework. I'll be checking in the morning." Ms Park announced before all the students groaned in unison. They walked out the door, glad the day had finally ended. 

Yoona watched her crush's back as she walked out the door, mesmerised by how her hips swayed. She was about to walk out the door and start walking with Sooyoung but was halted by the teacher.

"Yoona, may I speak to you for a bit?"

Sooyoung shrugged her shoulders and said she'd wait for Yoona outside. The younger girl made her way to the teacher's desk rather nervously.

"Is there something wrong, Miss?"

"Yes, actually." She went off to wipe the equations and formulas off the board as Yoona stood there, anticipating for the teacher's next words. "You're failing class, Yoona." She spoke with a stern voice.

Yoona eyes widened and rubbed the back of her neck. "I was never good at maths though, Miss."

"I know you are not very good at this subject, but Yoona..." Ms Park turned around and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "You can't graduate unless you've passed this subject. It's crucial."

Yoona's doe eyes widened at the new information she was being given. She had to pass Maths just to graduate? She found that to be absurd and unfair for students who just didn't have the capability to do math like herself.

"You're kidding, right?"

"Unfortunately, no. You need to pass this subject if you want to get out of high school."

Yoona ran her fingers through her hair and frowned. How was she supposed to pass in the next semester?

"Even though I love seeing students fail..." Yoona looked up at her teacher, raising an eyebrow at her. "...I know how hard it is to not graduate alongside your friends...so Yoona.."

"Yes, Miss?"

"I suggest you get yourself a tutor.."

Yoona wondered if the day could get any worse. She hadn't spoken to Yuri at all today and to find out she needed a stupid tutor to pass a stupid subject? She was already so done with school.

She was never good with tutors. No matter how many times they explained a problem to her, she wouldn't get it. Her parents just gave up and encouraged her to focus on the things she loved, no matter how crazy they may be.

"Miss, with all due respect, I don't think a tutor will be good for me. I can't co-operate with them, you see."

"Unless, you have a better idea.." Yoona didn't have a better idea. "..Having a tutor is the best option for you. Please, take my suggestion if you're passionate about graduating, Yoona."

Yoona nervously nodded and bowed to her teacher before walking out the classroom. Her mind was clouded with so many things, she didn't know which one to focus on first. Her thoughts came to a halt as she felt a firm hand on her shoulder.

"Hey, bud. Why'd Miss hold you back?"

They walked towards the exit of the empty school as they conversed. "I...I'm failing maths."

Sooyoung's eyes widened the same way Yoona's did when she heard the news. They stopped as the taller of the two grabbed the other by her shoulders.

"Yoong, what the hell?"

"I know...I need a tutor."

"Oh jeez. You with tutors."

Yoona covered her face with her hands in shame.

"Do you want me to start up auditions? Anyone would be willing to be your tutor."

Yoona mumbled in the palm of her hands. "I can't use people like that."

Sooyoung rubbed her fake beard and thought for a bit. All of a sudden, a bright idea had popped into her head as Sooyoung spotted a familiar figure standing outside the school, searching through their bag for something.

A smirk quickly showed up upon her face. "I know...how about someone in the class? That way you both know what's going on AND they'll be young. No old tutors."

"I'm not having you as my tutor, Soo. No offence, but you're really bad at explaining things."

"I wasn't talking about me, ." Sooyoung turned Yoona to face the student she had saw earlier, giving Yoona the hint of who she was talking about. "I meant her."

All her life, Yoona thought her friend gave the stupidest advices known to mankind, but the moment she saw those loving hips Yoona adored, she thought this was the best idea the shikshin had ever thought of.

"Why can't you give good advice like this every day?"

"That's not what I'm about, man." Yoona punched her friend in the arm and continued staring at the lone figure.

"I'll meet you back at the car. You're dropping me home." Yoona waved off her friend and eagerly walked out the door, pretending to bump into the girl in the process.

Yuri almost dropped her things on the ground before Yoona swiftly caught them. She was about to apologize to the random student before she caught that choding smile she was too familiar with.

"Sorry, stranger."

"You again? Seriously?" Yuri took her books out of the girl's slim fingers and stuffed them back in her bag, getting ready to leave as soon as possible.

"Don't you like seeing me?"

Yoona peeked to see Yuri's annoyed face, making her heart drop a little. "What do you want?" Yuri slung her bag over her shoulder and crossed her arms. She really wasn't in the mood for the girl's antics.

"Can't I just say hi?"

"No." Yuri didn't want to remind Yoona about how the younger girl would just completely ignore her in public anyways so she was about to walk off before feeling a hand grasp her wrist. She quickly pulled away and turned to the younger girl. "What did I tell you about touching me?"

"Sorry.." Yoona gave another one of her cheeky smiles, making Yuri turn away to hide her blush. "I actually wanted to ask a favour..."

"No."

"You don't even know what I was going to say."

"I don't care." 

Yoona scowled and walked in front of the girl to talk to her face instead of her back. "I really need this. Otherwise i'll never be happy again."

Yuri didn't want to help her. She didn't want to be anywhere near Yoona, but the sad look on her face was making her rethink her choices. She sighed in annoyance and crossed her arms once again.

"What do you need?"

Yoona smiled and put her hands together, as if she was about to pray. "Can you please please please be my tutor for maths?"

"What the hell? Why?"

"I'm failing and I can't graduate if I don't pass. You don't want to see me not graduate, do you?"

To be honest, Yuri felt sorry for the girl. Of course she didn't want to see her not graduate because how embarrassing would that be? Especially with Yoona's popularity. She'd be the talk of the town. 

But Yuri didn't want to spend time with the choding anymore. To have to be tutoring her, sitting beside her probably in her own room. Just thinking about it made Yuri want to puke. She couldn't stand being next to the girl for more than 3 minutes. How was she supposed to handle being with her for more than 1 hour? 

"Please, Yuri. You're my only hope." Yoona would never beg in front of other people but her life was on the line so she had no reason not to.

Yuri stood there, staring at the girl's glimmering, doe eyes. How could she say no that?

"$30 an hour. And no funny business, you got it?"

Yoona's lips curved into a wide, alligator smile. She mentally fist pumped the air and cheered. "No funny business. Got it! We'll go to my house after school tomorrow!"

"What? Wait Yoon-"

"See you later!" She waved goodbye and happily skipped off to tell Sooyoung the good news.

Yuri stood there, stunned. 

What the hell did I get myself into?

 

 

 

...

_____________________

This one's a bit shorter than my last ones :/ I can’t stuff everything into one chapter right?

I had to redo this a few times :S so I hope you guys enjoyed it anyway. ((i didn't proof-read either lmao))

Thank you for everything v^^