Chapter 25

Refuse To Lose

The hit reverberated across the room, echoing out into the hall. It rang through Yoona’s ears as she witnessed the man before her hurt the girl she loved.

Her fingers were trembling against the carpeted floor as her lips quivered along with her shaky breath. The pain in her chest followed itself towards her head and nestled right near her temple. Seeing Yuri’s lifeless body fall onto the mattress was much more painful than anything Yoona could’ve ever imagined.

“Yu…Yul?” She muttered so softly, afraid her voice would break at any moment. It was as if was hanging on a thin piece of wire as each word she says cuts her deeper. “Yuri?”

The broad man only stared on at his daughter, his hands quivering similar to Yoona’s. The look in his eyes showed more than remorse. It was as if he had crushed an innocent flower that had lost its way between his fingers and settled itself into his palm.

It had only wanted protection. But that was something he had failed to give.

“What…what did you do to her?”

He didn’t respond.

“Why isn’t she getting up?”

The shame he had tried to gulp down only crept back up his throat. This wasn’t something he could forget anymore. This was a mistake that should’ve never been made.

Yoona was still finding it hard to come to the realisation that this was no slap. This wasn’t something that happened every day. If worse came to worst, this could’ve been considered –

“You hurt her.” Yoona blatantly said. Her eyes averted to Yuri’s father, her brows furrowing. “You hurt your own daughter!”

He shook at Yoona’s yell, his heart picking up speed at her words.

“The one person who truly loved you and you couldn’t even protect her!”

“You…you don’t know what you’re saying.”

“I know exactly what I’m saying! She came to you with open arms and you came to her with nothing but your fists! You’re a monster!”

“Stop talking…”

“She loved you!”

“Shut up.”

“This is your fault!”

“Shut up! This is your fault! This is your fault!” He swiftly turned and landed a punch against Yoona’s already bruised cheek. The younger’s head spun to the side, coughing up blood onto the already stained floor.

Her jaw hung loose as she waited for another hit. But it never came.

She slowly looked up to the father towering over her, his eyes were fire once again, but a sad, blue flame that could only be put out with tears of his own.

“Hit me again.”

He blew a breath.

“Hit the girl who was there for your daughter when no one else was.” She beckoned him closer into the deep end of the ocean, resting herself against the wall.

She spat, “You’ve already harmed my hero. How can Yuri possibly call you hers?”

And at that moment, everything seemed to dawn on him. It wasn’t the look of her knocked-out-cold daughter laying on the bed but the words from a girl he barely knew. It took a complete stranger to show him the pain he had caused.

He was sicker than the evil entity he hid beneath his skin.

He was a monster.

He landed on his knees with a thud, making Yoona flinch at the sound and shake of the floor. She watched him bury his face into the trembling palms of his hands as short sobs came through.

.” The word repeatedly flew out of his mouth with no grace. He stuttered and yelled over and over again as if it would cover up the mess he’d become.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

Yoona was more than shocked. She had taken down a beast by using his own sadness. She sighed and threw her head back against the wall.

“Turn around and say it properly.”

And he did. He was already on his feet as he made his way to the girl laying on the bed, still no sign of waking up. He pulled her close and rocked her body from side to side. Yoona thought she’d never seen the man any more caring than he was then.

He was a monster. But god, was he human.

She hadn’t realised her tears until it had touched the bruise on her jawline, stinging pain coursing through her face down to her neck. Her hand shot up to harshly wipe away the trail.

She wasn’t crying because of the man’s sudden change or the fact that he didn’t hit her again. It was more the uncertainty of the future. What happens after this? What happens to Yuri? Why the hell isn’t Yuri in her arms?

Yoona’s selfishness always managed to break through every now and again. She admits the bonding was quite cute, but the need to hold her girlfriend was growing and she had no idea what to do. There was one thing she was certain of though.

She wasn’t going to let Yuri’s father get away with anything anymore.

“Yuri…” She whispered albeit breathless. “Please be okay.” Her phone blared into the void of silence moments later as she reached a weak hand to answer.

“Yoona?”

“T-Taecyeon? Is that you?”

“Yoona, are you okay?” Just by the sound of her voice, he knew something was wrong.

Yoona looked at the man sitting on the bed as he cradled his daughter in his arms, paying no attention to the girl sitting on the floor.

She had to admit it. Taecyeon was right. Yuri didn’t need just Yoona to protect her. She didn’t need anyone. She just needed people to know what she was going through and be there for her when things got rough.

Yoona thought she was doing Yuri a favour by keeping everything a secret, but it had only hurt the older girl even more. All of this happened because of her. Taecyeon wanted answers and that’s exactly what he was getting.

“Call the police and send them to Yuri’s house.” She told him the address before hanging up, not wanting to hear another word that begged to leave the boy’s mouth. Soon, her head began lolling back and forth, drifting into her dizziness.

She shut her eyes and took a deep breath, waiting for oblivion to quickly take over. Yoona only hoped everything would fall into place. She hoped what she did was right. She hoped things would go back to the way they were. She hoped Yuri was okay.

She hoped.

***

The sound of silence wasn’t usually something that could wake a person up. In fact, it was more the opposite. No noise meant no disturbance. No disturbance meant peace. It was something people wished for in their nights of slumber.

But it was far more different to Kwon Yuri. No noise meant she was alone without anyone around her and sometimes, being alone was the last thing she’d ever want.

It wasn’t the light peeking through the closed curtains that woke her. It wasn’t the ache in her head or the pain in her chest. It was more the absence of noise. The absence of company. The absence of touch.

Her eyes slowly opened as they adjusted to the dim, familiar room she’d found herself in. Every hazy corner or blurry item lightened and became clear to her. The smell of a nice meal for lunch lingered in the air as it gave away the time of day.

There was no way telling what happened before she’d got here.

Yuri’s fingers travelled along the soft material beneath her as she reached her hand up to run it along her cheek.

Where am I? What happened?

She squinted over at the bedside table, finding various ‘get well soon’ balloons, a bouquet of flowers and about 3 teddy bears waiting for her. One held a giant heart with the words ‘I love you’ in cursive planted onto it.

She turned her head the other way, catching a glimpse of an almost unpacked suitcase with its contents scattered along the floor, leading into the almost full closet.

She hadn’t realised how painful she felt until the throb in her head was starting to get unbearable. She reached up, feeling the bandages around her forehead.

The last thing she remembered seeing was Yoona and her father.

She gently, but quickly, sat up in the bed. She was nowhere near a hospital as she had presumed. She knew exactly where she was the moment she saw the Mickey Mouse plushie sitting in the chair not too far away.

was so dry, she could hear the sound her tongue made every time it touched the top of . She was dehydrated and sore.

Where is everyone?

She wasn’t planning on questioning herself all day. She needed answers. Yuri stood and wobbled her way to the door, not forgetting to put on the Mickey Mouse ring left on the dresser. She guided herself through the hallways, leaning a shoulder against the wall every now and again. She’d only then realised how small her mother’s house was.

Her hand laid flat on her head, nursing it as the throbbing would get worse with each step. She peeked her head around the corner, finding Hyoyeon napping on the floor and Sunny sleeping on the couch. In the kitchen was Seohyun, supposedly making lunch.

What are they doing here? What am I doing here?

They must’ve been waiting for Yuri to wake up this whole time. She still had no idea how long she’d been out of it or how long they’d stayed.

She limped sluggishly, not wanting to wake her friends up. She would’ve succeeded if it wasn’t for Seohyun walking in at that moment.

“Guys, I-”

And everything seemed to stop there for her. She was staring in the eyes of the one girl she hadn’t seen in weeks. How was she supposed to compose herself?

The bowl Seohyun held in her hand immediately fell to the ground the same time as her jaw.

“Y-Yuri?”

Sunny and Hyoyeon woke at the crash, finding themselves in the same state as their younger friend when their eyes laid upon Yuri as well.

“Is…is it morning?” Her voice was hoarse but so precious to listen to again.

“Yuri!”

All at the same time, they ran up to hug the girl. The bowl on the ground forgotten as the group of friends reunited in the embrace.

“Holy ! You’re alive!” They all stood back to inspect her, smiling knowing she was okay. “How do you feel? Does any part of you hurt? You’re limping. You need to sit down.”

They guide Yuri to the couch, all three of them having at least one hand on her. Surprisingly, she didn’t mind at all. They sat her down as Sunny and Seohyun took her side while Hyoyeon took the floor.

“This is so surreal. We were all bawling our eyes out, this close to losing our minds.” Hyoyeon kept a small space between her thumb and index, showing Yuri.

“I’m glad you’re okay, Yul.” Sunny brushed away a strand of hair from the former’s face before resting a hand on her thigh. “What’s the last thing you saw before you out?”

Yuri closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She saw her father and then she saw Yoona. The more she thought, the more the pain in her head began to ache. She nursed it before opening her eyes again.

“Yoona. I saw Yoona…” She furrowed her brows before she had finally realised the younger girl’s absence. She abruptly stood, worry spreading all over her face. “Where’s Yoona?!”

“Woah! Hey, calm down!” They pulled her back to sit down, knowing too much movement would hurt the poor girl.

“I need to see Yoona!”

“You will, Yuri. Just not now. You want to know what happened right?”

“Yeah but-”

Seohyun cut her off. “Then let us tell you. We’re not going to make any progress if you can’t control yourself.”

Yuri attempted to pull out of her friends’ grips but neither would budge. She slowly sat down, steadying her breaths. “What about my father? Tell me they’re okay. And my mum? Does she know? What about the rest of the girls?”

Yuri was bound to find out sooner or later and the girls thought it’d be easier to just let it out now. “Taecyeon told us everything. Yoona called him and told him to direct the police to your dad’s house. She passed out right after.” Yuri didn’t even think twice about that answer. Yoona passed out and her dad was obviously going to go to prison. Her mind snapped quickly and it was suddenly obvious who she cared about more.

“She passed out?! Where is she now?!”

“At the hospital. You’re lucky your dad didn’t hit you as hard as he hit your girlfriend otherwise you’d be sitting there too.”

Yuri blinked twice, huffing out air between her lips. “H-He hit her?”

Hyoyeon scoffed. “Hell yeah he did. When Taecyeon showed up, he told us Yoona was bleeding like crazy. Some dad, huh?” Sunny elbowed her girlfriend in the ribs, begging her to stop talking.

Yuri’s mood was different from how she was minutes ago. She was slightly mad but it was more disappointment than anything. One hit just wasn’t enough for him.

“But Taec also said he saw your father hugging you while he cried…”

Yuri didn’t bother saying anything. She wasn’t awake to experience it. She didn’t know if it’d make a difference even if she was conscious.

“Your mother is taking care of everything, Yul. She was bawling her eyes out when she found out.” Seohyun patted her friend on the back, rubbing circles to try and calm her. There was no easy way to take this.

Yuri thought this wouldn’t even have to happen. She was doing everything in her will to make sure nothing happened. She wasn’t strong enough to stop it.

“Where’s my dad now?”

Sunny sighed. “He was taken to the station. They’re deciding what to do. I’m pretty sure Ms Kwon is there too.”

Yuri balled her hands into tight fists. She was feeling everything and nothing all at the same time. Was she supposed to hate the man or give him all her love? She was caught between problems she had no idea how to solve.

It was amazing. She had never thought of a life without her father beside her. She had never thought of a day without a new scar.

“It’s a lot to take in. C’mon, Yul. I’ll get you something to eat.”

She was hungry. But after everything she’d been told, starving herself didn’t seem like a bad idea.

***

It was a rare sight to everyone. Especially Tiffany and Taeyeon. Walking into Yoona’s hospital room, they’d expected Sooyoung and Jessica to be cracking jokes for the unconscious girl but it was much stranger than that.

As soon as they heard the news, they were already on their way to see Yoona in hopes to catch her if she woke up.

But Yoona wasn’t awake. And Sooyoung and Jessica weren’t cracking jokes.

The tallest of the three was hunched over on the chair beside Yoona’s bed, her elbows resting on her thighs and her face buried into her palms as she heaved out her tears. They fell into her hands as if she was catching memories she didn’t deserve to have.

Jessica stood beside her, tears falling from her eyes as well as she clutched Yoona’s hand in both of hers. It was so painful to witness their least emotional friends crumble before them. But it was expected, wasn’t it?

Right now, it was like their bond was an unkempt house and each of them played the role of a wooden leg that kept the house standing. With one broken, the others follow.

And god, was everyone breaking.

Outside the door, Yoona’s parents spoke to the doctor. Both of them crying at the possibilities of their daughter’s future. Taecyeon sat on one of the chairs outside, his head in his hands as his fingers combed through his hair. He was obviously distressed.

It was like someone died.

Taeyeon and Tiffany made their way to the girls, Tiffany striding to hold Yoona’s other hand while Taeyeon went to rub calming circles against Sooyoung’s back. Everyone was crying different shades of emotions, mixing their hearts in strange colours.

Nothing made sense anymore. Nothing made sense.

***

Taeyeon always found the nights calming. Well, who wouldn’t? They’re absolutely beautiful. Even more when Sooyoung had finally exhausted herself from crying so much, passing out onto the couch beside the hospital bed. Her arm was carelessly draped around her waist as her lips were slightly parted, light snores escaping.

Taeyeon thought they were nice to hear especially in the quietness of the hospital room. But there were cons to staying up by yourself.

There was no one to talk to besides the beeping monitors and sleep talking patients. Every now and again, Sooyoung would give out a random grumble and then go quiet in the next second. Those were quite comforting sounds.

The ones that weren’t were the occasional strange taps on the window or the supposed whispers the older girl hears every now and again. She wasn’t one to get scared very easily but hospitals always spooked her. It was one of the reasons why she’d rather be a fashion designer than a heroic doctor.

Pretty silly but that’s just how Kim Taeyeon works.

Having Sooyoung asleep was good, but having her awake was better.

It was bad enough Taeyeon had to sit there, staring at nothing else but her unconscious friend. She still hadn’t woken up since the incident and the older girl wondered just how badly did Yuri’s father hurt her?

The girls found out that Yuri’s father didn’t just give the doe a blow to her head. Yoona ended up with mild brain injury and a broken collarbone as well as a damaged shoulder. Several stitches had to be done but the younger was lucky she didn’t need surgery to mend the bone. Instead, she wore a sling around her arm, hugging against her body.

It was painful to see her strapped to so many machines. Taeyeon had no idea what their damn functions were. She just wanted to take Yoona home, away from this god forsaken place. Or maybe, she’d rather be in Yoona’s position than have the younger go through so much.

“Ma’am?”

Taeyeon’s head shot up at the nurse standing by the foot of the bed. They shared smiles.

“Visiting hours are over. Only one carer is allowed to stay overnight.”

“Right.” Taeyeon turned towards the sleeping girl on the couch. She would’ve gladly been the one to stay but she knew Sooyoung would’ve wanted to be beside Yoona 24/7. There was really no reason to wake her up.

She stood, squeezing Yoona’s shoulder before leaving the room, willing to come back tomorrow.

***

“The court trial is next week. You can’t see your father until then.” Ms Kwon felt disgusted calling him that but Yuri never took the title away from him. He’d still always be her father whether her mother liked it or not.

Yuri casually poked at her breakfast, letting her mother’s words sink in. She’d been waiting for her mother to come home and when she finally did, neither hesitated to melt in a hug. Her mother planted kisses on her forehead and held her tight, afraid she’d lose her daughter again. Her tears didn’t stop for hours.

She’d been out to settle all the paperwork and she knew she was going against Yuri’s word. She thought she’d get a scolding from the young girl but it never came. Yuri was too calm.

“I want to see Yoona.”

Ms Kwon smiled. “Has that girl been the only one on your mind?”

Yuri didn’t say anything. Her mother knew the answer to that. Occasionally, it would be her dad but she’d find her mind drifting to the doe-eyed girl, failing to stop thinking about her. Now, all she wanted was to see her lover. To make sure she was safe.

At the sound of the knock on the door, Yuri was already out of her chair, grabbing a jacket and almost limping to answer who it was. She knew who it was.

She gave a tight hug to Taeyeon before rushing past her, eager to find her car. Not a single word was given.

“Take care of my daughter!” Ms Kwon yelled from the kitchen.

“Yes ma’am!” and Taeyeon was off trailing behind the overly anxious Yuri. They made their way to Taeyeon’s car and they were on their way to the hospital. Taeyeon took a glance at the now quiet girl staring out the window.

She sighed, leaning back in her seat and keeping her eyes on the road. “You excited?”

“Should I be?”

“You were before you left the house.” Yuri clenched her jaw. The closer they’d gotten to the hospital, the eerier things felt. This whole time Yuri had been expecting Yoona to be awake when she got there, but who was she kidding? There was no way she’d be.

“Do you think…she’d be awake?”

Taeyeon wasn’t going to lie. “Maybe.” But she had no idea what the truth was either.

Yuri gave a slow nod.

“Don’t fret. Yoona’s strong enough to make it through this.” Another nod. Yuri just hoped Taeyeon was right.

They made their way to Yoona’s room, each step heavier than the last for Kwon Yuri. The smell of sterile equipment and disinfectant lingered in the air already making Yuri sick to her stomach. Yoona wasn’t meant to be here.

They were greeted by Yoona’s parents and Sooyoung standing by the door. They’d been there since that morning, none of them refusing to leave Yoona until Yuri came. The latter gave all of them a hug, Yoona’s parents asking if she was okay.

“You’re too nice to be experiencing something as horrible as this, my dear.” Something about those words seemed to remain glued to Yuri’s head. She hugged Sooyoung, noticing the dried tear stains against her red cheeks.

She gave a sad smile. “You’re the strongest woman I know.” Yuri gave a thoughtful grin before leaving the four outside. She ventured into the room, finding two nurses carefully checking Yoona’s progress.

They were done in the next three seconds, walking past Yuri with poor excuses for smiles.

It hadn’t gotten to the older yet. She only stood at the foot of the bed, staring at the girl laying on it. She wasn’t breathing right and her bottom lip couldn’t seem to stop quivering. Her eyes trailed across Yoona’s sling arm, to her bandaged chest and shoulder up until her wrapped up forehead.

She looked so vulnerable and weak but her face seemed at peace. Yoona deserved to take a rest.

Yuri took a deep breath before walking over to sit on the chair. She took another long look and found her hand wandering along the bed sheets, her fingers trembling as they reached over to grasp Yoona’s hand.

The tips of the older girl’s fingers slipped between Yoona’s and they were as soft as they ever were. Their rings knocked against each other as Minnie met Mickey. She tightened against Yoona’s hand, hoping for the younger to respond. But she never moved.

Yuri’s breathing was ragged and her hope was slowly dwindling. She kept squeezing against her hand begging for a sign but Yoona wouldn’t budge. Slowly, she lifted her hand, bringing it up to kiss the back of Yoona’s. Her lips against her lover’s skin was so gentle and sweet. But it wasn’t enough to wake her.

Then the tears fell. And her walls crumbled. Yuri was being picked apart piece by piece as her life laid in front of her with no signs of moving. Her mind was at a haze and she had no idea what to do.

She wouldn’t like to think it, but if her father had never hit Yoona, would the younger not be here? Was she suddenly blaming her father?

No. He’s just being over-protective.

But if he was, why did everyone end up getting hurt? Why was it that he couldn’t even manage protecting his own daughter? Protecting his own marriage?

Why did he end up giving his love so late? Right when everything fell apart? Right when he’d done the most damage?

If he was being protective, Yuri wouldn’t always be questioned by her father’s love. And everything would be okay. And everyone would be happy.

If he was being protective, Yuri wouldn’t be hurting.

Yuri would be okay.

And Yuri would be happy.

Yuri wasn’t okay and Yuri wasn’t happy. Yuri was the worst she’d ever been.

But she had no idea who to blame anymore.

 

 

 

__________

Thank you for waiting for my poor to resurrect from the grave I have dug myself in. You’re all so patient and kind, I don’t deserve any of you!! I have been really stupid and I wish I didn’t neglect this for so long!! The least I could do is update a whole lot faster but I can’t and I punch myself every day for it.

THANK YOU FOR BEING SO PATIENT AND THANK YOU FOR READING THIS CHAPTER!! YOUR SUPPORT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME AND I HOPE YOU LOOK FORWARD TO THE ENDING BECAUSE IT’S COMING REALLY SOON!!! :******

((p.s Yoona’s song came out a few minutes ago so pls listen to it thanks))