Chapter 26

Refuse To Lose

She’d been sitting in the godforsaken room for so long, she didn’t know what time it was. The only sound she’d heard for the past couple hours was the slow beeping of the heart monitor and the sound of the curtains hitting against the glass window. Just thinking of Yoona flat lining made Yuri fear the worst.

A knock on the door dragged Yuri back to her senses as she looked up to see the visitor.

“Hey.” He gave a wide smile, two bouquets in his hands as he made his way beside the bed.

“Taec.” Yuri returned the smile and took the flowers off the taller boy. She placed them on the table before giving him a hug. “I missed you.”

“You have no idea how much I’ve missed you. I’m so glad you two are okay. If I hadn’t called…”

“It’s fine, Taec. Sit down.”

He nodded before sitting on the chair. He took a good look at Yoona, her face as angelic as he’d always remembered. He pursed his lips before giving the younger girl’s arm a squeeze. Turning back to Yuri, he smiled.

“How do you feel?”

“Could be worse. How do you feel?”

He scoffed. “A little dizzy. I feel like I should punch myself for not doing anything sooner.”

Yuri shook her head. “I didn’t want you to do anything at all. I told you not to do anything and you listened. It’s okay.”

They sat in silence, both staring at Yoona. It wasn’t long before Sooyoung made her way in, a couple packets of chips cradled in her arms as she munched on its contents. She sat beside Yuri, offering her two and chucking one to Taecyeon.

“The vending machines here have the best snacks. Don’t tell mum I wasted her money.” She took off her bag and ped it, revealing more chips and a couple chocolate bars. “Heaven looks beautiful.”

Yuri chuckled. “Yoong would be proud.” It almost sounded like Yoona had passed away or something.

They quietly ate their food. Well, Taecyeon and Yuri quietly ate their food. Sooyoung was the only one making the loudest noise. It was nice to have her being herself again rather than having her spend hours crying for Yoona. Yuri would take this Sooyoung any day.

“How are you coping with everything?”

Yuri sighed. “I guess I’m okay now. Mum’s been taking care of all the law stuff dealing with dad and I’m just here, waiting for Yoong to wake up. Because I’ve cried so many times, I feel like I can’t cry anymore. Is that weird? I’m on the verge of not caring about anything. I don’t even know what’s happening in school. What’s happening in school?”

“School isn’t as important right now, Yul.” Taecyeon said while throwing away his chip packet. He dusted his hands before leaning into the chair. “You gotta worry about Yoona and your dad. If she wakes up-”

“When.” Both Sooyoung and Yuri corrected him.

“Right. When she wakes up, school will be the last thing you’ll ever think of. To hell with it. You know what everyone is doing? Worrying about you and Yoona. I mean, not the homophobes but everyone else, yeah. They’re all worried sick about you guys.”

His arm stretched out to the countless gifts on Yoona’s table, overflowing as some had to be placed on the ground.

Yuri thought most of them were from her.

She smiled and gave a slow nod. “Okay. No worrying about school.”

Yuri’s abuse hadn’t gotten around the whole school and her friends made sure it wouldn’t. Sooyoung had made it clear they got into a car accident in case anyone questioned. It was thoughtful of them to do something like that.

The taller girl left out the part where she and Jessica beat up every homophobe who talked crap about the two. Yuri didn’t like it when they did that so there was really no point telling her they did it anyway.

Yuri stared intently at her lover, watching her chest raised and fell at each breath. It was probably the calmest Yoona had ever been and it was nice to see. The older girl couldn’t help but swap seats with Taecyeon, wanting to sit close to Yoona.

She ran her fingers through the younger’s hair, wonderfully soft to the touch. Yuri never seemed to get tired of it.

“The trial’s next week, right?”

“Yes. They’ll need Yoona but…she’s unfit to be interrogated.” Yuri replied without a glance, her eyes fixated on the sleeping girl. “Can you stay here during it? I don’t want her left alone.”

Sooyoung was quick to jump at the offer. “Yeah! Of course I’ll stay with her. I’m her best friend.”

“Thank Soo. I don’t know what I’ll do when I see my dad again.”

Taecyeon ruffled his hair and thought. “He’ll probably be too ashamed to even look at you. I don’t know what happened before I showed up at your house but he looked like a mess.”

Yuri didn’t know what to feel for her father anymore. She would always love him but for this, love was blinding and she was caught in between it. She wondered if he’d ever even loved her to begin with. Since his midnight drinks, did he ever think about his daughter?

Yuri didn’t want to think about him right now. She was in a hospital room. Her ­girlfriend was laying in the hospital bed beside her. She was the only person Yuri needed to worry for.

Yoona’s doctor and one of his nurses came into the room the next minute, walking in with his equipment and a kidney dish. It held a small needle.

Yoong hates injections…

“Hello ladies…and gentleman?” He smiled at his patient’s friends before placing his equipment on one of the tables. “I’ll be taking care of Yoona while she rests here. This will be her first cortisone shot so-”

“What does it do? Will it hurt? How many more will she have to take? Did you know she hates needles? Doctor, did you know she hates needles?” Sooyoung almost spat out her chips at how quick Yuri was to stop the doctor. As amusing as it was, Yuri actually looked a little concerned.

She grabbed a hold of the other girl’s arm. “Hey, calm down. He’s a doctor so I’m pretty sure he knows what he’s doing.”

“I do.” He said matter-of-factly. “The shot will only relieve the pain in her shoulder. She’s asleep so it may just be a sting but we’ll wait a few weeks to check how far the pain’s decreased. If it hasn’t, we’ll give her another.” He smiled. “Don’t worry, Ms Kwon. The injection only helps, never kills.”

It was quite a lot to take in. Yuri knew Yoona was in safe hands but she wanted the younger to feel as comfortable as possible. She didn’t want her to wake up and find holes all over her body. It was like another case of trypophobia and trypanophobia mixed together. That wasn’t the most pleasant thing to wake up to for Im Yoona.

Yuri watched as the doctor and nurse got comfortable, rolling the table over to Yoona’s bedside. He pushed the younger onto her side as he disinfected her exposed shoulder. Grabbing the needle, he eased it into her milky skin before pushing the substance into her. Yoona’s eyebrows twitched and her breathing quickened for a moment.

“You’re hurting her.” Yuri said.

“Another second.” He took out the needle in an instant and placed it back into the kidney dish, passing it to the nurse before she left the room. “Too easy. We’ll check up on her tonight. Hopefully the injection relieves the pain to help Yoona rest. Have a nice day, you three.” And with that, he walked off in the same direction as the nurse.

Extremely easy.

“See, Yul? Everything’s okay. Yoona’s okay.” Yuri sighed and grabbed a hold of her girlfriend’s hand. She kissed the back of it before softly rubbing the skin with her thumb. “God, you worry too much.” Sooyoung was then hit in the head with one of the pillows.

“I wasn’t the one who cried for 6 hours yesterday.”

Sooyoung smirked. “Touché.”

After a talk and more snacks, Sooyoung and Taecyeon left reluctantly to get some rest. Throughout the day, Yoona had different visitors coming in to see how she was and to send her wishes. All throughout, Yuri had never left her side. At one point, Yoona’s parents came in for a few hours to chat and after they’d left, Hyoyeon and the others came in to say hi. Yuri’s mother also visited as well.

If Yoona was awake, the attention would’ve overwhelmed her but instead, the feeling was passed to Yuri as she had to make conversation with everyone who came to see the young girl.

Luckily enough, visiting hours had ended and Yuri was finally left alone with Im Yoona. Unconscious, unresponsive Im Yoona. Yuri was just glad she could have the younger to herself now.

“Would it be bad for me to join you on the bed?” Yuri asked, not really expecting an answer back. “I miss sleeping next to you.”

No response.

“I’ll take that as a no.” Yuri smirked before climbing up onto the bed. Now, hospital beds weren’t designed for two people but somehow, Yuri made it work. She squeezed herself between the side rails and snuggled up against Yoona’s uninjured arm. God, it felt wonderful. It felt like home.

She rubbed her nose along Yoona’s neck and felt the warm skin pressed up against her body. The younger girl’s heat comforting Yuri. The latter’s hand wandered up to caress Yoona’s cheek, everything was so warm and it felt so nice. Yuri felt safe again.

She blew a sigh and attempted to get closer, even though it wasn’t possible to. “I need you to wake up, Yoong.” Her voice was quiet and low. “They’ll take you to ICU if you’re not up by tomorrow.” Her grip on Yoona tightened but not enough to hurt the girl. Yuri cared.

“I don’t want them to take you there. You’re safe here with me. I can take care of you, okay? I just need you to be awake.” The tears weren’t sudden but they fell ever so slowly. She wet the pillow her head laid on as her deepest fears were becoming a reality. She wanted this to be a dream but her pinches weren’t working. Neither was her head.

Yuri heaved as she sobbed into Yoona’s shoulder, wetting the bandages. “Please, wake up.” She turned Yoona’s face to look at her. “I love you.” And she stared at the serene face in front of her. Yoona’s closed eyes and sealed lips. Her brows relaxed with her breathing steady. Yuri placed a soft kiss on the younger’s mouth, lingering longer than necessary.

She pulled away and gave a sad smile. This was no fairytale. Yuri couldn’t wake her with a kiss. She needed a whole lot of cortisone shots and money. And maybe that couldn’t even save her.

She wept silently as she laid next to Yoona, tears starting again.

“I’ll wait forever if I have to.”

***

First it was the pain in her neck the morning Yuri woke up. It was unbearable. It felt like she was lying on a very thin, hard log as it crushed her neck bone. The sunlight shining through the window was the next thing, blinding her of her whereabouts.

She had completely forgotten where she was and the shimmering light wasn’t helping. It was the next thing that made her come to the realisation. The familiar fingertips caressing itself against Yuri’s scalp. The way it brushed Yuri’s hair back before going back to the crown and starting all over again. The way it simply stopped at the nape of her neck and remained there, tickling the skin beneath.

It was those fingers that gave Yuri memory. It was those fingers that made her open her eyes against the shining light. Her eyes averted up to the figure beside her as she caught a glimpse of the wide smile she’d been missing. Up to her flaring nose, towards those eyes. Those brown doe eyes that seemed to speak with no words and captivate every emotion. Oh god, how she’d missed all of those.

And then,

“Good morning, beautiful.”

It was the voice.

Yuri’s eyes widened and breathing quickened and the next minute, she crashed her lips onto Yoona’s without another moment passing by. Cheek against cheek, nose beside nose, lips tasting lips. They were heavenly. Everything Yuri had been missing. Her upper body was literally crushing Yoona’s but for some reason, the younger didn’t feel the pain. She only relished in her girlfriend’s overdue kisses. All too worth it.

When she felt her cheeks wetting, not from her tears but Yuri’s, it was then did she learn to part away but Yuri wasn’t letting up. Her lips followed Yoona’s wishing to taste a little longer. Yoona grunted as Yuri pushed further into her chest, hurting her.

“Yul, I ca-”

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry!” Yuri sat up with the most worried expression. She’d gone a little too far, hurting her own girlfriend. “I didn’t mean to!”

Yoona caught her breath and closed her eyes, giving a small smile. She was awake. She looked up at Yuri, finding the older still anxious on how Yoona was feeling after almost having her ribs crushed. She chuckled before rubbing Yuri’s back reassuringly. “I’m okay.”

“No you’re not. I almost killed you. You just woke up and I almost killed you.”

“Nice to see you too.”

Yuri bent down and laid a soft kiss on Yoona’s temple. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m fine. Care to explain why you’re lying in my bed? I don’t think you’re as beaten up as me.” Yoona smirked waiting for a response.

“I missed you. I thought you were dead.”

Yoona grabbed her by the collar and pulled her down for another kiss, much gentler this time. “But I’m not.”

The footsteps coming towards their area made Yuri quickly pull back into a sitting position. The curtains were drawn back and the nurse almost dropped her kit at the sight of a conscious Yoona. “Ms Im! You’re awake!”

“Yes I am, lady I do not know.” Yoona smiled a cheeky smile to the older woman. She was quite bubbly for a girl who’d been asleep for more than a day. Expectedly, she would’ve been a little drowsy but just at the sight of Yuri peaked her happiness.

The nurse didn’t even address the fact that Yuri was sitting on Yoona’s hospital bed. Her smile went right across her face and it looked like she was too excited to even mention it. “This is wonderful! I’ll go get your breakfast and inform the doctor! Welcome back!” She walked off with a skip in her step. Maybe that lady was a little bit bubblier than Yoona.

She turned her attention back to Yuri, the latter having been staring at her this whole time. They gave each other smiles before they gradually ended up laughing. Things were a little hard to take in but this wasn’t bad news at all.

“This must be a fairytale.”

Yoona raised a brow. “Why would you think that?”

“I kissed you last night hoping you’d wake up in the morning. They would’ve taken you to ICU if you hadn’t.”

Yoona chuckled and shook her head in disbelief. “Baby, this is reality. And you are no princess.”

Yuri frowned, hurt by her girlfriend’s words. The girl just woke up and she was already insulting Yuri. She’d rather have her asleep right now. “Why would you say that?”

“Because,” Yoona ran her hand up Yuri’s arm, leaving Goosebumps. “You’ve already stolen my heart as the queen.”

Yuri’s eyes were wide at first before the younger’s words had finally hit her. Her expression changed. “That was disgustingly cheesy. Please go back to sleep.”

Yoona burst out into laughter at her girlfriend’s reaction. She smirked. “You love it.” She wiggled herself to sit up right, almost similar to Yuri’s position. “What did I miss?”

Yuri put her finger to her chin in thought. She dug through her brain, trying to remember what had happened since Yoona’s been asleep. She averted her eyes to the countless gifts on top Yoona’s table.

“A whole heap of people came to visit you. Everyone’s devastated. You know how happy they’re going to be when they find out you’re awake? Your parents won’t stop kissing you. Sooyoung won’t stop kissing you!” Yuri’s eyes glimmered.

Just the thought of Sooyoung crying made Yoona crack up. She wouldn’t have missed that for the world. “Where’s your dad?” She asked out of nowhere, a bit curious.

“He’s being taken care of by my mum and the police.” Yuri played with her own fingers, nervous. “The court trial’s next week…”

“To decide your dad’s fate?” Yuri answered the question with a nod.

“I’m glad you’re not going to be there. I feel like if you were, something bad might happen. Sooyoung’s going to be staying with you.” Yuri didn’t need to say anything else. Yoona understood her completely.

“Got it. Be careful though, okay? I feel like you’re stressing this way too much. Come here.” Yoona groggily pulled her girlfriend by her waist before Yuri laid her head on the younger’s shoulder. The uninjured one. “Why the hell am I wearing a sling?”

Yuri giggled. “You broke your collarbone and damaged your shoulder. You’re a little messed up in the head too which was why you weren’t waking up, I suppose.” She tried to be as brief as possible, not wanting to recount every detail. It hurt her when she did.

“Is that all? Piece of cake. I didn’t even feel a thing.”

“They’re also giving you cortisone shots to relieve the pain.”

“Y’know what? I take everything back. I want to get out of here.” Yoona gulped in fear as she watched her girlfriend laugh beside her. She felt warm at the sight for some reason. Seeing Yuri laugh made her feel whole.

“I really missed you.” Yuri lifted the younger girl’s chin with her finger before kissing her full on the lips. Perfect timing as the doctor came striding inside in the next second, excited to see his patient fully awake.

“O-Oh!” Yuri and Yoona parted in an instant. “I’m sorry for disturbing but I just really needed to see Yoona awake.”

“Here I am…” She sounded pissed.

“This is miraculous and truly beautiful. We’ve whipped up your breakfast and need to take a few test after you’re done. Is that okay?”

“Of course.” Still pissed.

“Great!” He left with the nurse after she placed down the breakfast. “Enjoy.”

Yoona groaned as she stared longingly at the plate of food. She missed that. “I’m so hungry.” It was like her stomach was communicating with her. Yuri smiled at the younger beating around the bush.

“What do you want me to do about it?”

“Feed me?”

And Yuri was more than willing to grab the plate, already two steps ahead ready to feed her adorable patient.

***

Yoona’s parents were the first to visit their finally alert daughter. Yuri thought the moment they got the call, they’d already be on the way to their car and she was more than likely right. They cried and hugged Yoona and told her they loved her. Yuri sat outside during it. All she could hear were Yoona’s parents sobbing while Yoona tried to speak over them.

Yoona’s group of friends and Taecyeon came next with Sooyoung bursting through the door in tears. She literally jumped onto the bed, crushing the younger girl’s arm and hugging her. They stayed for a few hours talking about everything and nothing at all. It was nice to see Yoona up again. It was even better she didn’t attempt to kill Taec.

Then it was Yuri’s group of friends and her mum who were the last visitors of the day. It wasn’t as awkward as Yuri had thought it would be. It was kind of nice to see Hyoyeon messing with Yoona again and Seohyun gushing every time Yuri and Yoona kissed. Her mother and Sunny had prepared food for her because God knows what their feeding her in the hospital.

Yoona was more than grateful, finishing everything in one bite.

When night came around, it was Yuri who stayed overnight again. It was always Yuri. She hadn’t gone home and she wasn’t planning to until Yoona was out of the hospital.

“Hey. I got my mum to bring something for you.” Yuri dug through her bag and took out a book. The one Yoona hadn’t finished reading. “You have to finish this.”

“I was just thinking about this.” Yoona took the book with a smile and flipped to the page she left. She was so absorbed into reading the book, her facial expressions were the cutest thing Yuri had ever seen.

The nurse came in checking on Yoona’s progress before saying goodnight. Yuri managed to squeeze herself between Yoona again, drifting off to sleep as the younger continued reading. She was probably going to finish the book by tomorrow.

***

“The court trial’s today…” Yuri absentmindedly played with Yoona’s fingers as she said it. She didn’t know why she was so nervous. The thought of seeing her dad again made her excited yet, scared at the same time.

Yoona only sat in silence, watching Yuri grip her ring and twist it. She gave a sad smile and looked up to the girl beside her. “You know he’s going to prison, right? He has to.”

“Do you have to say it like that? He’s my dad.” Yuri stopped her fiddling and brought her hands into her lap, refusing to touch Yoona now. “No one would want their father in prison.”

“I know. I’m sorry.” She leaned over and kissed Yuri on the forehead, hoping it would suffice and make up for her stupid words.

It didn’t.

“Don’t be mad at me. I was only trying to help ease you. You’re tense for no reason.”

“No reason? My dad’s going to prison, Yoona. The man I looked up to is going to prison. Thanks for the help.” Yuri attempted to slide off the bed, only having her arm caught in Yoona’s grip.

“Where are you going?”

“For a walk.” She tried to pry but Yoona wouldn’t budge. There was no way she was just going to let Yuri leave the room.

“And leave me? I said I was sorry, okay? You have a few minutes before Soo gets here. Spend them with me.” This time, Yuri didn’t attempt to do anything. She only sat there staring at the white bed sheets. Yoona was stubborn when it came to making Yuri stay. Somehow, Yoona always won.

Yuri sat beside Yoona again but she didn’t bother to touch her. She stared at the door hoping for Sooyoung to come in at any moment. Now that she thought about it, her father was actually going to be gone for a long time. She couldn’t see him for a while. How was she supposed to feel?

“Did you hit him?” She blurted without sparing a glance to Yoona.

“No, I wouldn’t. I told you I wouldn’t. I love you.”

“Words are cheap.”

Yoona smiled before wrapping an arm around Yuri’s waist. She pulled her close and kissed her on the neck, nipping the tanned skin. “My knuckles aren’t bruised and I made sure it was me who ended up in the hospital instead of you. I love you.”

Yuri couldn’t help but giggle. She kissed Yoona on the lips, their tongues mingling together as one.

“Guys, this is a hospital…” They parted breathless before glaring at the intruder. Sooyoung only held her hands up in surrender, wondering why she was the one being punished rather than the other way around.

“What? I’m just looking out for you.”

Yoona turned back with an apologetic smile. It was time for Yuri to go. “I’m sorry about what I said. I know you love your father and it hurts seeing him go to prison. I know he loves you too.”

Yuri wrapped her arms around Yoona’s shoulders, giving her a gentle hug. It was what she needed to hear. To know her father still loved her, it was nice to know. But she needed to hear it from her dad. Or at least see it from him to believe him.

“I’ll come right back after it’s done, okay?”

“I’ll be waiting then.”

Yuri kissed her lips several times before sliding off the bed. She kissed another and left with a smile. Yoona only watched her back as they walked out the room.

She then turned to her friend, sitting there with a grin.

“Cute.”

“Oh shut up. It’s just gonna be us for a while so make yourself bearable, got it?”

Sooyoung scoffed. “Come on, dude. I’m the coolest person you know. We’ll have the best time. When you get out of here, I gotta show you this burger joint Jess and I found. Best burgers in town, no doubt.”

Yoona shook her head with a smile. She missed her so much.

“You can bring Yul too. And we’ll get Tiff and Taeyeon. Oh! And Sunny with her vicious dog, Hyoyeon and her little pup Seo. It’ll be great. I mean, it can’t replace SM Juice Bar but it can be where they serve our favourite burgers. Also! This amazing thing happened at school the other day.”

It hadn’t even passed an hour and Sooyoung was already talking at the speed of light. There was no way Yoona could get sleep after this.

 

 

 

__________

I’m not gonna make it a huge court scene because I have 0 ideas on it haha :))))))

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!! :*****