Chapter 12

Refuse To Lose

“Happy birthday, Yul!”

Yuri smiled with each gift she was given. It wasn’t much, but it was more than she’d usually receive. Her heart swelled with how many people came to greet her a happy birthday and presents were just a bonus.

She hasn’t opened any yet, though. She felt it would ruin the surprise. Yuri had to store some in her locker and there were still presents left over, so she carried the rest. Her friends had offered to help, but she didn’t want them to go through the trouble.

“How many have you gotten so far?”

“I lost count.” Yuri giggled.

The girls grinned at how happy their friend was today. It was different from how she was feeling the past couple of days. All the tanned beauty needed was to feel loved by the people around her.

“So Yul. We decided on something.”

Yuri stopped eating her lunch and turned with raised brows, not expecting her friends to go overboard with the occasion. “What might that be?”

“We want to take you out on the weekend. How does that sound?”

“W-weekend?”

Yuri didn’t think that was really a good idea. After explaining most of her backstory to the group, mentioning her abuser and her past, she thought they’d be a little more considerate with everything.

But then again, she’s done it before with Yoona. And her dad didn’t suspect a thing. He was probably asleep the whole day anyway.

How could she possibly refuse?

“What are we going to do?”

“Just take you out. Wherever you want to go. You earned it.”

They all smiled at Yuri with such tenderness, it made her feel whole again. “You guys really don’t have to.”

“We want to, unnie. After finding out about you’ve been through, you’re the one who deserves to smile the most.”

And that’s exactly what Yuri was doing. She hasn’t stopped since she got to school. And all day, her eyes never spotted a certain deer, but she didn’t know how to feel about that.

“Your jerk of a dad has put you through enough. It hurts seeing you go home.”

Obviously ‘home’ wasn’t where Yuri was safest. People around her have told her it was, but it never applied to her. She still hadn’t found her safe haven. Or maybe she has, but she couldn’t admit it.

Not when that safe haven enjoyed ignoring her.

But that wasn’t what Yuri was supposed to be thinking about. An instant thought of her birthday, and she was happy again.

She wondered how she’d feel once this was all over. She’d have to wait till next year for another burst of happiness, and even that wasn’t enough to stop her from having fun.

Across the cafeteria, Yoona sat playing with her food. She couldn’t find the courage to go up and say ‘happy birthday’ to Yuri yet, and that only pissed off her friends.

“Dude, watching you makes me feel bad.”

“All you have to do is say two words. It’ll make her feel a whole lot better knowing you knew it was her birthday.”

Yoona didn’t respond. She only continued poking at her lunch.

“You’re going to do something for her though, right?” Jessica asked with a raised brow.

“Of course I am.” She placed her utensil down, already losing her appetite. “I just haven’t figured out what. I stayed up all night making a list of things to do and none of them seemed good enough.”

“Oh c’mon.” Everyone looked at Taeyeon, ready to hear what she had to say. “You are good enough, Yoona.”

“Me?”

“Yes. What do you think she wants more? A grand surprise of you popping out of a giant birthday cake with a billion balloons in your hand and a hundred people supporting behind you, or just you, coming up to her and telling her the truth?”

And it was true. Yuri wasn’t one to expect big things. She could survive on just a walk in the park, which made things a little easier for Yoona.

“That’s well and all, but…” Sooyoung seemed to have more to add, “…you should still get her a present.”

“Yeah. Presents are cool.” Jessica added as Tiffany agreed. Taeyeon couldn’t stop herself from rolling her eyes.

Yoona chuckled “I got her a present. I just don’t know when to give it to her.”

“Give it to her now!”

“No! Th-there’s people here…”

They all groaned in unison, pissed Yoona still thought about her reputation. It was expected though.

“You’re so hard to understand, man.” Shaking her head, Sooyoung continued eating her food, occasionally stealing Jessica’s when she wasn’t looking.

The deer smiled and just like that, her appetite was back again.

***

“What do you have planned?”

Hyoyeon leaned against the school building as Yoona sat on the ground, her head resting on the wall. They had decided to talk after finishing their lunch to catch up on everything Yoona was planning. Unfortunately…

“I…haven’t planned anything.”

Hyoyeon closed her eyes and sighed, rubbing her face in annoyance. “Are you kidding me?”

“But!” Yoona stood up, her finger in the air signalling an idea. “I have a present for her. I don’t know if she’ll like it, but I had to get her something.”

“Oh she’ll come running into your arms after that, huh?” Hyoyeon bitterly spat.

“C’mon. I’m trying here.”

Yoona pouted, still sad the older girl treated her badly. Hyoyeon wouldn’t admit it, but the expression the younger was making almost made her want to hug the clueless deer. Her voice softened.

“You have to do more than that. You can’t expect her to kiss you after a present.”

“I don’t expect her to do that at all. Taeyeon told me that the best present is to just explain myself to her.”

“Well, she’s not wrong.”

Yoona stuffed her hands in her pockets, worry written all over her face. “I’m nervous though. What if she doesn’t accept it? What if I’ve hurt her so badly, she’s chosen not to trust me anymore?” She let her forehead fall against the wall, her eyes closed in guilt.

She started slowly banging her head against the wall, getting harder each hit. Hyoyeon looked at her with the weirdest expression.

“What are you doing?”

Yoona halted. “Oh-I was…it’s a habit.”

“Yoona, if I were you, I’d go for it. No matter what happens, Yuri will know you care for her and she’ll never forget that.”

Of course Yoona was going to do something for Yuri. She didn’t know why she even thought about avoiding her today. She had to make it up to the girl, and talking was the least she could to get closer to her.

She sighed, nodding her head in agreement.

“Okay. I’ll talk to her.”

***

Maths was starting to get hard to bear for Yoona. For the past couple of days, she had to sit there and endure the sight of Yuri’s back, wishing she had the courage to just tap her on the shoulder and apologise for everything she’d done.

And throughout the lesson, she’d never see the angel’s face, not knowing whether she was smiling or frowning.

But today was different. Yoona could see her face now and so could everyone else. Yuri stood at the front of the classroom with the biggest smile, conversing with Ms Park about something.

The next thing Yoona knew, the maths teacher was giving her a small bag. A gift from the devil, herself.

“Man. She never gave me a present for my birthday…” Sooyoung complained with her feet propped up on the desk as she on her lollipop. “That’s the last time I’m telling people she’s my favourite teacher.”

“You used to tell people she’s your favourite teacher?”

Sooyoung shrugged. “She was the only one I could stand.”

Yoona turned her attention back to the tanned beauty, absentmindedly fiddling with the small box in her pocket.

When’s the right time?

She frowned and looked at her notebook, little drawings covered the page rather than simultaneous equations and quadratic formulas. If there was one thing she’d noticed, Ever since tutoring had stopped, Yoona lost the motivation to focus in class.

No matter how hard she tried, her mind would drift off to Yuri, as if she had never learnt anything else besides the older girl’s name and habits.

She wanted to pay attention to anything but Yuri. She was desperate. As an attempt to think of anything else just for a little while, Yoona eavesdropped on the conversation going on behind her.

“Why would she? They don’t even talk.” One girl had stated.

“Don’t they?”

“I’ve never seen them utter one word to each other, except for that time when they were grouped for maths.”

Yoona’s eyebrows knitted together. Who are these two talking about?

“Oh c’mon. I’m sure they’ve talked more than once. I heard she was tutoring Yoona.”

Oh…OH! CRAP!

“When?”

“Now? I don’t know.”

“And why would Yoona choose her as a tutor when she could’ve chosen me?”

The other girl laughed. “Get over yourself.”

Yoona gulped and turned to Sooyoung, knowing she overheard the conversation too. Her friend only frowned before sticking her hand inside her pocket and offering the younger girl a lollipop of her own.

Seeing as there was no reason to decline, Yoona took it, her anxiety out of it.

Yoona was too absorbed in her own problems to realise Yuri had gone back to her seat, quietly studying as usual.

And then, Yoona had returned to staring at that familiar back.

After class, Yoona had pulled Sooyoung aside to talk to her before heading off to their next period. She was still worked up about the whole tutoring thing.

“How did they find out?”

“People are sneaky here, bud. You’ll never know when someone’s watching you.”

Yoona sighed in frustration and ran her hands through her hair, gripping it midway. “What do I do?”

“What you have been planning to do since this morning. This isn’t going to stop you from talking to her, okay?”

The younger of the two kept quiet.

“Yoona.” Sooyoung wrapped an arm around her friend’s shoulder. “Think for once. Right now, you shouldn’t be worrying about your reputation. You should be worrying about Yuri. This isn’t the time to be getting all selfish.”

“I’m not selfish.”

Sooyoung chuckled. “You’re a little selfish, dude. You’re a selfish shell fish.”

“What the hell?”

“Remember what I said. If you screw this up, I’m coming back to kick you in the .” She ruffled her friend’s hair before walking off to her next class, tired with Yoona’s complaints.

The deer only stood there, a little confused. Nevertheless, Sooyoung was right to an extent. She couldn’t let anything get in the way now. It would be bad timing.

But then again, having more people get suspicious would harm her in the future. She needed to think of a way to be a little more discreet. Fortunately, before she could walk off to her next class, she spotted the perfect person.

“Taeyeon!”

The short high schooler turned in a spilt second with a raised brow, looking for the perpetrator who called out her name.

“Yoona?”

Yoona came striding towards the older girl, quite eager to give her a request. “Is something wrong?”

“I need you to do something for me.” She pulled Taeyeon closer to whisper in her ear. “I need you to give Yuri her present.”

In an instant, Taeyeon pulled away. “No way.”

“What? Why not?”

“Do you know how devastated she’d be? You can’t be this stupid, Yoong.”

“Of course I’m going to talk to her but I feel like I’ll be giving her present a little too late.”

Taeyeon rubbed her temples. “That’s the stupidest reason you could give me.”

“I’m planning on talking to her after school. At least the present will let her know that I’ve been thinking about her all day.”

Taeyeon didn’t think those words were meant to pull at her heart strings, but they did. And she didn’t think Yoona even noticed what she just said. Although it was a small revelation, it surely made the older girl think twice about the request.

“Fine. I’ll go along with your little errand.”

“Really?”

“Only because I like seeing you melt over Yuri.”

“Oh, shut up.”

Taeyeon chuckled as Yoona handed her the small box. “Is this your present?”

“Yeah. Don’t open it.”

“I wouldn’t dare.” The designer patted Yoona on the shoulder before they both parted ways.

I don’t know what you’re planning Yoona, but you better not screw this up.

***

“Thanks umma. I love you too.” Yuri hung up with a smile. Her mother had called her to wish her a happy birthday, and to stay safe. She always called at the same time so Yuri would have her phone in her hand, ready to pick up the call.

She smiled at the thought, going back to fixing up her art project.

“Knock knock.”

Yuri swiftly turned around to see who could have possibly needed to interrupt her during art mode. And it was none other than the kid who was stuck in that mode since birth, Kim Taeyeon.

“Oh! Hey!” Yuri said, a little too enthusiastically. “How’d you know I was in here?”

“Aren’t you always? You still haven’t finished that project.”

Yuri chuckled. “Yeah. Almost done though.”

Taeyeon closed the door behind her and made her way to Yuri’s side. She took a good look at the small replica and couldn’t find the words to describe the masterpiece.

“Oh my god.” Was all she could say.

“Do you like it? I don’t think I put enough detail.”

“You put in more than enough. It looks amazing.” Yuri smiled at the sweet compliment.

“Thank you. So what brings you to the bat cave?”

Taeyeon chuckled and leaned against the table. “Well, I came with a gift.”

“A gift? Taeyeon, you shouldn’t have.”

“I never said it was from me.”

Yuri tilted her head in confusion. Taeyeon could clearly see why people thought the younger girl was cute. She looked like a clueless puppy. The former reached into her jacket pocket and took out a small box. It was wrapped in a blue ribbon and fit snuggly in her hand.

“Who’s this from?”

Taeyeon playfully shrugged. “I don’t know…”

Yuri turned the box around multiple times, liking the velvet covering. She assumed the person was someone who knew her favourite colour as she stared at the ribbon.

But she’d never told anyone except…

“Taeyeon, is this all you came for?”

“Pretty much. I had nothing better to do anyways.”

Yuri chuckled and turned her attention back to the box. It was funny how she found it to be the most amusing thing in the room.

“I better head off.”

“Tell the sender…I said thank you.”

“Will do.”

Taeyeon waved a goodbye before leaving the building, glad she had accomplished her mission. She walked off with a smile and a hop in her step.

Inside the room, Yuri was still staring at the box, asking herself why she hadn’t opened it yet. It looked so delicate and felt so soft. She’d be okay if the box was the actual present.

Grabbing the ribbon, she untied it in one tug, letting it fall carelessly in her palm. After wrapping it around her wrist, Yuri proceeded to open the box, already knowing what the present was by the glimmer it gave off.

Inside laid a small ring. Now usually, people would’ve thought it to be typical for a piece of jewellery to be a present. And it was. Just not to Yuri.

Not when the ring had a small Mickey Mouse head on it. And that told the girl everything. Because she’d never stated to anyone her love for Mickey Mouse, except to a certain doe-eyed football player.

It was such a childish thing to give her, but Yuri liked that. She liked Yoona. She still likes Yoona. And she hated herself for even admitting it.

She didn’t want to like Yoona anymore. But the younger always did spontaneous things that reeled Yuri back in. It was like Yoona had hooked her heart, preventing her from liking anyone else.

But, then a thought popped into mind, causing Yuri to frown.

Why didn’t she give this to me herself?

Because she was still scared. What other reason could there be? Yoona was still afraid to be seen with Yuri in public, or maybe, to be seen with Yuri in front of Taecyeon, and it hurt the older as she had no idea why she did it.

She had to watch as Yoona ignored her for completely no reason. Accepting the gift would only tell Yoona she was allowed to hurt her again.

Twirling the ring with her index finger and thumb, Yuri contemplated on whether or not to throw the gift in the bin.

She sighed. How could she possibly think about that? There was no way she would. But it would only remind her of how pathetic her stupid crush was. Again, Yuri examined the small box. If she hadn’t picked up the small cushion, she wouldn’t have found the note hidden inside.

A little shocked, she read it.

I have the Minnie Mouse one. Unless you don’t want me to wear it, I’ll take it off if you want. - Yoong

Yuri groaned and ruffled her hair.

“What the hell are you trying to do to me?!”

“Nothing?”

The tanned girl’s head snapped up in time to see Taecyeon by the door with the weirdest expression on his face.

Yuri sighed in relief before putting the ring back in its case and placing it into her jacket. She wiped the invisible sweat off her forehead and turned back to the boy, who was already standing beside her.

“You okay?”

She tried to give her most convincing smile. “I’m fine. Sorry.”

“Who were you talking to?”

“No one. I was just…practising a script.”

“Practising a script?”

Yuri hoped Taecyeon couldn’t see passed her façade. If he did, he’d talk nonstop about his ex again, and she couldn’t stand it the first time.

He chuckled as he shook his head. “You’re a weird one, Kwon.”

She breathed a sigh of relief before walking over with the boy to their unfinished project. They both inspected it silently, marvelling at their teamwork.

“It’s coming out good. We’ll ace this for sure. I still find it amazing how fast you finished painting this thing.”

“I had help.” Yuri wished she hadn’t said that.

“Oh yeah. From Yoona, right?”

Yuri ignored the question and grabbed a paint brush, flicking her wrist to offer it to the older boy. “We need to get this finished. You can’t ditch me anymore.”

“Yes ma’am!”

Before he reached for the brush, Taecyeon’s eyes had caught the blue ribbon tied beautifully around Yuri’s wrist.

“What’s that?”

“A ribbon I found…”

“So you just decided to randomly tie it on your wrist?”

“Are you judging me?”

Taecyeon laughed while waving his hands in protest. “No, of course. I just find it odd why you’d tie a ribbon on your wrist. What if there’s diseases on that thing?”

“Diseases? The only disease I’m getting is your constant judging now hurry up and paint.”

And as instructed, Taecyeon finished off painting the project, chucking at how cute Yuri was. He didn’t have to do much. Just the doors and windows. But the older felt the need to make small talk instead of succumbing to the silence that was bound to happen.

“How’s your birthday been?”

Yuri shrugged. “Better than the past few days, I guess.”

“What’d you get? Anything cool?”

A Mickey Mouse ring.

“Jewellery.”

“Oh isn’t that what girls are into these days?”

Yuri had to stop herself from sharing her knowledge of gender equality to the boy in front of her. She didn’t want to seem annoying and go on about the discrimination of es and genders because she knew Taecyeon wouldn’t be able to process that information. His head was probably too full of soccer balls to really understand.

“Crap. I’m sorry.” But yet, here he was. Apologising. “I didn’t mean to sound so ist.”

Yuri squinted her eyes in confusion.

“I support all genders, I swear.”

And then, Yuri chuckled. If anything, she was the one judging. “It’s okay, Taec.”

Because truthfully, it was.

***

Umbrellas flooded the outdoors of the school as students were eager to get home. Umbrellas bumping and couples walking, it was like watching a drama.

Yoona threw on her hoodie as she waited by the entrance of the school. This was the only time she regretted not bringing an umbrella.

“Yoona!” She turned at the call of her name, having to look down to meet eyes with the short blonde.

“Did you get to talk to her?”

“Actually, I’m going to now. I’m waiting for her to walk out.”

“You’re what?” Hyoyeon’s eyes widened.

“I’m waiting for-”

“Yoona, she’s already left!”

The deer’s bag almost slipped off her shoulders at the sudden realisation. “She what?!”

“She caught the bus 10 minutes ago!”

Yoona groaned and ruffled her hair in frustration. This wasn’t how she planned to meet with Yuri. She was going to watch her walk out the door, offer to take her home and confess during the ride.

Although, she doubted Yuri would even accept the ride, Yoona thought she could catch her before she left.

What was she supposed to do now?

“Get the hell in your car and chase after her, you !”

“But it’s raining!”

“Yoona, I swear to God I’m going to-”

“Okayokayokay! I’ll go!”

And that was the last thing Yoona said before she dashed off towards her car, getting soaked on the way. The rain was heavy so the roads were going to be quite difficult to ride on.

That wasn’t going to stop her from seeing Yuri though.

In her car, drenched, Yoona drove all the way to Yuri’s house, her brows scrunched together in anxiousness. She knew she wasn’t supposed to be there and she knew it would only piss Yuri off more, but those rules won’t apply today.

Not when Yoona had a heart to fix.

Parking right outside the house, the deer knew she couldn’t just walk up to the front door. It’d be kind of stupid and rude. Plus, boring and not spontaneous at all.

Yoona knew Yuri’s window was on the side of the house, but she had to pass through shaggy bushes to get there.

Oh what the hell.

Jumping out of the car after putting on her hood, Yoona locked her car doors and ran towards Yuri’s window, tripping over branches and twigs as she attempted to jump over the bushes.

She only hoped the neighbours didn’t see her, otherwise police sirens would be the next thing she’d be hearing.

Untangling herself from the mess, mud all over her pants and shoes, Yoona grumbled in discomfort. Rain had soaked her socks so they’d squish every time she walked. She hated when that happened. And yet, Yoona still didn’t feel cold with the breeze and icy water flooding her hoodie.

She stood up and peeked through the window, only realising a few seconds later that she looked like a complete .

Nevertheless, the sky was grey and the air was foggy, so it’d be a little difficult to spot a girl in a grey hoodie.

It had been a few minutes before she heard the bedroom door open, and in came Kwon Yuri. She walked in with a drenched, yellow umbrella and two handfuls of gifts. Yoona thought she looked adorable trying to carry all of it.

She watched as Yuri carefully placed the bags and presents near her desk before plopping down onto the edge of her bed. Yoona supposed she should’ve given away her position, but this was too amusing to not witness.

Slowly, Yuri reached into her pocket, fidgeting with something. After a while, she had taken it out, revealing a familiar, small box.

Yoona gasped.

It was her present.

Yuri opened the box and took out the small ring, spinning it in her fingers. Unknowingly, Yoona reached down to play with the ring on her finger.

Please put it on.

Yuri chuckled bitterly.

“You’re such an idiot, Im Yoona.”

And that’s exactly what Yoona thought as well. She was a complete idiot. Oblivious to her own crush’s feelings, Yoona didn’t even think she ever understood them.

“Why do I like you so much?” The younger girl’s eyebrows scrunched up.

I wanna know too…

And then, Yuri had slipped on the ring. On her left, middle finger. With her palm facing out, Yuri examined it, turning her hand every which way.

And when she smiled, so did Yoona. Because Yuri’s smile was contagious and the thought of that smile being caused by Yoona boosted her confidence.

Temporarily forgetting there was a window blocking her way, Yoona had attempted to take a step closer, only to have her forehead bang against the glass.

Yuri’s head took a sharp turn as her eyes grew 3 times larger. Outside the window, she saw a hooded figure, groaning as they covered their forehead.

She was going to scream. That was her first instinct. That was probably anyone’s first instinct. But one look at the ring on the mysterious stranger’s finger, Yuri knew exactly who it was.

“Argh…my head…”

And she knew exactly who that voice belonged to.

Looking up with the goofiest grin, Yoona gave a shy wave as she rubbed the back of her neck, embarrassed that was the way she would be caught.

God, she’s so cute. Yuri thought. She wished she didn’t.

Yoona assumed the older girl wasn’t going to let her in. She knew Yuri wasn’t going to let her in. Why would she? All Yoona had ever done was hurt her and trick her. There was no reason for Yoona to come inside.

But Yoona should’ve known. Yuri had a kind soul. If you were nice to her, she’d be nice to you, depending on the situation. And the next thing Yoona realised, she was being dragged into the room, a firm hand on her wrist.

Once she had gotten past the window, she sat on the floor in exhaustion. Her damp self was drenching the carpet beneath her as she threw her head back, heavy breathing.

She looked up as her eyes met Yuri’s, worry written all over them. Yoona smiled.

“Crazy weather out there.” She casually stated as she ran her fingers through her wet hair.

Yuri sighed and left the room, leaving Yoona to wonder where she had went. A few seconds later, the older came back with a towel in hand. She threw it over Yoona’s head.

“Go take a shower.” And then she left the room again.

Yuri looked down at her lap in guilt before standing up to obey the orders given to her. When she came out, she found Yuri sitting on her bed, deep in thought.

The towel was hanging loosely around Yoona’s shoulders as her hair dripped with water. She sat down beside Yuri, thigh touching thigh. Neither said a thing.

What was there to say? Where should Yoona start? So many things were going through their minds but both were too scared to speak.

Until Yuri had noticed something.

“The water from your hair is soaking my bed…”

“Wha-oh! S-sorry…” Yoona was about to stand up to prevent it from getting anymore drenched, but Yuri was full of surprises.

She pushed the younger girl back down. Instead, Yuri had grabbed the towel around the latter’s shoulders and without hesitation, dried the deer’s hair for her.

She stood between Yoona’s parted knees, her breath hot on the younger’s cheek. Yoona couldn’t keep her eyes off the tanned beauty’s face, it was illegal to look that beautiful.

Innocently, her hands wandered to Yuri’s hips, pulling her in closer. It was just a small action, but it made the black pearl feel uncomfortable. She stopped drying Yoona’s hair, and looked straight into the deer’s eyes.

She searched them for any sign of distrust. She needed to know why Yoona had come here. She needed to know if Yoona even understood what she was doing here.

Sighing, Yuri carelessly threw the towel on a nearby chair and parted from Yoona. She leaned back against her desk and crossed her arms, not wanting to stare into those doe eyes anymore.

“What are you doing here, Yoona?”

The mentioned gulped. She looked down at her feet. What exactly was she doing there? There were so many things she needed to tell Yuri.

She wanted to apologise for breaking her and she wanted to confess how she felt. But which one was she supposed to say first?

Growing impatient, Yuri was contemplating on chasing Yoona out. She was about to show the latter the door, but that thought left her mind the moment Yoona spoke.

“I can’t completely answer that question.” She was fiddling with her ring. “Because I always have to have options. There’s never a definite answer for me.”

Rubbing her eyes, she stood up slowly and faced Yuri, unsure of where she was headed with this speech.

“I’d tell you that the reason I’m here is to apologise. I’ll repeat the phrase ‘I’m the biggest ’ a thousand times and yet, it will still never amount to how big of an I truly am.”

Yuri took a deep breath, listening to every word Yoona was saying.

“In a different universe, I’d say I came here to tell you about the new pizza restaurant that opened up down the road from my place.”

She was trying to be funny and fortunately for the younger girl, it was working. But Yuri didn’t want to laugh. She vigorously shook her head as her eyebrows scrunched up, trying to prevent herself from chuckling.

“And then I’d kiss you on the lips because in that universe, we’d already be dating…” She lifted her head and even though she said she wouldn’t, she looked into those doe eyes.

It was oddly refreshing.

“But then, somewhere else, the reason why I came here would be to do just that.” Yoona took slow steps, hoping Yuri wouldn’t move “To kiss you. And to do it right this time.”

She stopped right in front of Yuri, determination in her eyes.

“Because I know now that the feelings I hold for you are real. That I’m not playing with you. I want to hold your hand and buy you things. I want to spoil you and be the reason behind your sweet dreams.”

Yoona reached out and held Yuri’s hands. They were both shaking. One in fear and the other in nervousness.

“I don’t want you to be the girl I found at 1am and took home just to have fun with. In an alternate universe, that would probably be true.” Her breath was shaky and so was Yuri’s.

Slowly, hopefully, the former leaned her forehead against Yuri’s, closing her eyes as she tested the waters. Luckily, she hadn’t been eaten by any sharks yet.

“But that’s not the universe we are in. In this universe, you think I’m a jerk. In this universe, I screwed up. In this universe, I hurt you so badly, I can’t even forgive myself.”

Yuri’s hands left Yoona’s as they laid softly on the latter’s cheeks, her thumb was rubbing soothing circles on the soft skin beneath.

“Actions speak louder than words, Yuri, but I never knew mine were shouting. They were screaming and harming you without me realising before it was too late…” Yoona couldn’t see it, but tears were b Yuri’s eyes. If she’d known, she wouldn’t hesitate to wipe them away.

“I don’t want to directly tell you I like you because I’m just that complicated. I want you to listen to the words I say instead. I want you to realise that all this time, right from the start, I have told you that I like you. Just not in the way you thought it would be.”

Yoona’s arms were wrapped tightly around Yuri’s waist, afraid that if she let go, she’d lose the older girl completely.

“So Yuri, I’ll tell you I like you again. But I will not use those specific words.” Tears now fell from Yuri’s eyes. “The reason I am here, Yuri, is because I needed to see you.”

The realness in the confession felt so strong to Yuri. For once, Yoona was saying the right words. She speaks as though she were truly honest and firm on her feelings. And Yuri knew that was the truth.

Just by Yoona’s tone, she knew these feelings were real.

Yuri pulled the younger girl into the tightest hug she could muster, her face buried in her neck. Yoona only did the same.

“You came all this way just to say that?”

She nodded as she muttered against the tanned beauty’s head. “I want to make it up to you, but I honestly don’t know how I can get back up after I have fallen so far. Tell me what you need and I promise I’ll give it to you.”

“You promise?” Yoona slowly nodded, sure of everything that left .

“Then Im Yoona…”

As quiet as a mouse, Yuri whispered with her angelic voice, requesting for one gesture. The same one they had both been anticipating for.

“…kiss me.”

It was such a simple thing to say but it made Yoona’s hear soar. The words were enticing, melting her down to her knees. With the voice that spoke it, it killed Yoona.

And without wasting another moment, she smiled and leaned her head, catching Yuri’s lips with her own.

It was one of the best feelings in the world.

It wasn’t the feeling Yoona felt when she saw a cute dog on the sidewalk or when she listened to the latest music. It wasn’t the feeling Yoona felt when she tasted something new or when she won a game of football.

Yuri and her lips gave more emotions than Yoona could handle. It was as if it was all those combined together and more. Her feelings were in her fingertips, her ears, her toes, her stomach, her heart. They gave off this adrenaline that made Yoona want more.

And that’s exactly what she wanted. More.

Because when Yuri wanted to pull back, Yoona only pulled her in closer, refusing to part from her lips. They tasted of strawberries and passion and felt so wonderfully soft, filling Yoona to the core. And the melodious giggle that followed after only fuelled the deer’s heart.

The soft pitter patter of the rain against the window soothed their souls and touches as they continued caressing each other. Yuri’s hands running through Yoona’s hair and Yoona’s hands exploring the small of Yuri’s back.

They pulled apart for a second before Yoona dived in again with a quick peck, both giggling as their noses bumped each other.

Yuri opened her eyes as well as Yoona. They stared, speaking through the sensations they saw in each other.

It was the realest thing they both had ever felt.

“Are you staying?” Yuri asked, breathless.

“Will your dad let me?”

“He won’t have to know.”

She was getting much more daring, and Yoona loved it.

Then I’ll stay.

After a few or a hundred more pecks, Yuri led Yoona to the bed, only to have the younger girl pull off to search in her bag.

“What are you doing?”

Yoona stood straight and showed off what she was looking for. “I bought this yesterday to watch it with you.”

Yuri couldn’t help it. She burst out laughing.

“A Mickey Mouse movie?”

Yoona shyly nodded. “Well, we never really talked about movies so I didn’t know which your favourites were…”

“No no.” Yuri pulled Yoona onto the bed, and again, gave her another kiss. Her lips were just so addicting. “This is perfect.”

After grabbing Yoona’s laptop, they sat on the bed, watching the movie. Every so often, Yoona would glance at Yuri and Yuri would glance at Yoona. The younger girl’s fingers would twitch and Yuri knew exactly why.

Shaking her head, Yuri grabbed onto Yoona’s hand, startling her.

“I don’t mind holding your hand.”

Yoona smiled. Yeah. I like you too.

“Hey Yul…”

Yuri smiled at the nickname. “Yeah?”

She hadn’t said it today, and Yoona felt like a complete idiot for not doing so.

“Happy birthday.”

Yuri scrunched up her nose as she turned to the younger girl. She reached over and pinched one of her cheeks.

“If you keep acting this cute…” She gave Yoona a peck on the lips. “…I don’t think I can ever stop kissing you.”

 

 

 

__________

ARE YOU GUYS HAPPY NOW???? YOU BETTER BE

BTW

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY ULTIMATE BIAS KWON YURI, THE KWONIEST OF THE KWONS, A GIFT FROM ABOVE, YOONA’S GF AND WIFE ((she better wish her a happy birthday on ig I’ll do a flip if she does))

PLEASE BE SURE TO WISH HER A HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECAUSE SHE DESERVES THE WORLD AND MUCH MORE <3333

THANK YOU FOR READING!! :)))))