The Calm Before The Storm

Falling For You Again

 

“Jessica… Jess… Say something…” Tiffany whispered calmly, trying to get a response from Jessica. Jessica was still cuddled up in the corner, staring at nothing but a hole in the floor. Yuri on the other side of the cell was drawing on the floor, trying to find a way to get back to Taeyeon and warn her. She looked up to check on Jessica, giving a heavy sigh when Jessica winced at her gaze.

“Watch where you put your hands! Don’t touch my SeoHyunnie like that! Hey! I said don’t touch there!” a loud voice resounded through the basement as the loud bang of the door was heard. Yuri quickly stood up beside the cell and peered outside the bars to see what was happening.

“Untie me this instant. Coward! Why don’t you try knocking me out? Preying on the weaker human! You’re the lowest of the low!” the voice screamed again. Yuri narrowed her eyes to see Sooyeon appear with a body slumped over her shoulder again. Then from the hand Yuri could see a chain in her grasp. Attached to the end of the chain were wrists in cuffs.

“Quiet down. Allow me to put down this god forsaken body and then I’ll grant your wish and knock you out” the sarcastic voice snapped back. Yuri’s grip on the metal bars tightened, recognising the voice of the sarcastic one.

“Sooyeon…” Yuri growled under her breath. Tiffany looked up from Jessica and up at the metal bars curiously. Jessica just stared blankly at the metal bars, not having any opinion or thoughts on anything during that moment.

“Whose body are you calling god forsaken?! You’re the one that is god forsaken!” the voice screamed again. Yuri’s eyes opened wide once the person in the chain stepped into one of the light spots, revealing Yoona trapped on the chains.

“Yoona!” Yuri yelled, pulling on the metal bars hastily.

“Yuri?!” Yoona called back with surprise. Before any of them could say anything else Sooyeon had appeared in front of Yuri and yanked hard on Yoona’s chain, silencing them both. Sooyeon’s dark hollow eyes met with Yuri’s.

“Nice to see you again Yuri” Sooyeon smiled sarcastically. Yuri let a low growl in as her hands twitched, itching to wring it around Sooyeon’s neck. She then averted her gaze slightly to the side to take a glimpse at the body over Sooyeon’s shoulder.

“SeoHyun!?” Tiffany exclaimed from inside the cell. Jessica snapped her head up at Tiffany’s yell and looked at Sooyeon standing before the cell. SeoHyun’s body was slumped over her shoulder, her arms falling limply above her.

“SeoHyun…” Jessica’s voice croaked. Sooyeon smirked at the shocked expressions inside the cell, rather amused with the expressions.

“It’s like a family reunion.” Sooyeon mused. Yoona gritted her teeth behind Sooyeon.

“Come, come” Sooyeon suddenly sang, pulling hard against Yoona’s chains again. She then stood in front of the lock of the cell, taking the keys out of her pocket and opening the lock. Yuri was about to lunge at Sooyeon again but was stopped when Sooyeon pulled Yoona to block the attack quickly. Yuri immediately stopped, not wanting to attack Yoona. Sooyeon then used this chance to close the exit again and lock it back again, putting the key safely down her shirt.

“Coward” Yoona spat again. Sooyeon just gave a shrug and dropped SeoHyun’s body next to the floor space next to her. Tiffany and Jessica gasped at the harshness, wincing slightly at the pain that SeoHyun might’ve experienced. Yoona let out a loud sound of disapproval, pulling on the chain with all her might, hoping to pull Sooyeon along with her. It was no use as Sooyeon countered by wrapping her hand around the chain and pulling Yoona towards the metal bars. Yoona started to fall forwards but quickly turned around to avoid hitting the metal pole into her face.

Tiffany held her hand over with a distinct cracking noise was heard. She was pretty sure that it was Yoona’s back snapping in half. Jessica just blankly watched Yoona writhing in pain on the side. She really couldn’t feel any sympathy for anyone during that moment. Nothing was snapping her back to reality. Sooyeon looked over at Jessica with disgust.

“What a waste of a soul. Pathetic.” Sooyeon scoffed, giving a quick turn and making for the door again. Two hands gripped around her collar and stopped her in mid-turn. Yuri’s eyes met once again with Sooyeon’s, her gaze being fiercer than ever.

“What are you doing during this time? You were never converted… You died long after Taeyeon went missing… What are you and how are you here?” Yuri growled darkly. Sooyeon was unaffected by Yuri’s expression. Instead she just seemed rather bored.

“What am I? I do not know… How am I here? Well that’s a little secret of the afterlife… As for what I am doing here… I am here for Taeyeon… MY sister” Sooyeon answered back bluntly. Yuri’s grip on Sooyeon’s collar tightened. Yoona on the side was sliding up the metal bars and trying to move over to help Yuri, however her back was still not fully healed, meaning her legs were not fully functional again. Jessica stared blankly at Yoona who fell forward again.

“Why Taeyeon?” Yuri continued. There was a silent pause throughout the cell. Tiffany watched the conversation between Yuri and Sooyeon, Yoona trying to get back up again and SeoHyun unconscious right beside Jessica who still hasn’t moved.

“Because… She doesn’t belong here…” Sooyeon answered vaguely, gripping onto Yuri’s hands and pulling it off her collar.

“You shouldn’t be here” Sooyeon continued, pointing her finger at Tiffany. Tiffany took a small step back away from Sooyeon’s accusing point.

“Nor should you.” Sooyeon then turned her finger and pointed at Jessica. Jessica stared at the finger pointed towards her. Not giving any reaction at all. Sooyeon felt disgusted with Jessica’s mourning act. She lunged forward and pulled Jessica up by the collar. The two faced each other, eye to eye. It was quite a sight for everyone who was conscious inside the cell. Two exact replicas at each other’s throat, well one of them anyway.

“Why are you acting like the dead?! Stop moping around already. You… you are wasting your life… wasting your life on the trivial things. Life is too short to be wasted on sitting around and sulking.” Sooyeon spat towards Jessica. Jessica gained some of the consciousness back and glared at Sooyeon.

“What are you? A mirror image? Do you the souls out of people? Or do you have burning red eyes?” Jessica let out a small sarcastic laugh. Sooyeon smirked at Jessica’s comment and rammed her into the wall. Yuri went up to stop her but her hand was in mid-air as Sooyeon started talking again.

“I myself do not know what I am… But I do know what you are… You are me… My mirror… the remains of what was left of me … It’s a disgrace” Sooyeon snapped. Yuri noticed that Sooyeon’s hand started to move and quickly intercepted before Sooyeon could land her slap across Jessica.

“You…” Yuri’s voice darkened, towering over Sooyeon.

“You are not Sooyeon… You are not Taeyeon’s beloved younger sister… You are just an image of the past. You were Sooyeon, but now, you’re nothing but a nuisance. You were her sister, but now you are nothing.” Yuri continued, taking a few steps towards Sooyeon, forcing her to move back. Tiffany quickly grabbed onto Jessica and pulled her back to the corner. Yoona by then had now managed to make her way to the unconscious SeoHyun and was trying to wake her up now.

“Why don’t you return back to your time Sooyeon? Jessica is not you. She is Jessica… An average girl whom means a lot more to everyone than you.” Yuri pushed Sooyeon’s shoulders and forced her towards the lock of the metal bar door. Sooyeon had a smirk plastered over her face.

“Oh I’m not staying here. I will return when it is time. As for your beloved Jessica, I highly doubt that she, or any of the other humans, will mean that much to you in the near future. The future has been decided Yuri-shi. Enjoy your so called friendship or whatever it is. It won’t last that much longer. Once Taeyeon comes here, it will all be over.” Sooyeon said indifferently before unlocking the door and walking out. She then purposely let the door open and stood to the side of it.

“But I’m feeling generous. I’m willing to spare you your freedom. However, you will have to leave the rest behind. Four is more than enough.” Sooyeon mocked, motioning towards the exit. Yuri looked towards her side towards those behind her. All three looked back at her with worried eyes. She turned back towards the wide opened doors, biting her lower lip in confusion.

“Yuri…” Yoona called out silently. Her back was almost healed fully as she got up and reached for Yuri. Yoona held onto the edge of her shirt to steady herself.

“Isn’t that sweet?” Sooyeon chuckled. Yoona and Yuri both ignored her as they exchanged glances.

“Go Yuri… You might have a chance to warn Taeyeon before she gets into this mess too…” Yoona said worriedly. Yuri then glanced back to SeoHyun who was now laid onto the bed. She then looked over to Tiffany and Jessica. Jessica avoided the eye contact whilst Tiffany just gave Yuri a nod of assurance.

“I’m not leaving you guys like this…” Yuri said slowly. Sooyeon on the outside raised her eyebrow curiously. Yoona shook her head sternly, going against Yuri’s will.

“Yuri… Taeyeon looked after us for almost a century now… No matter how many times we annoyed her, got into trouble or went against her will, she’s still the one who took us in. Yuri, we promised each other didn’t we? We promised that we would do what’s best for Taeyeon whenever we had the chance. A century is a long time Yuri. Who knows where we would be now without her.” Yoona spilled wholeheartedly.

“But I can’t just leave you four here. What if by the time I come back…” Yuri was silenced by a pillow thrown to her head. The pillow dropped slowly from Yuri’s head, allowing her to see the aimer. Jessica had her arm outstretched in a throwing position, indicating that she was the one who threw the pillow. Tiffany and Yoona looked at Jessica with surprise.

“Just leave already… It’s not like you can do much here.” Jessica said hatefully. Tiffany tugged on Jessica’s hand urgently, telling her to stop. Yoona narrowed her gaze at Jessica while Yuri’s expression turned into a stiff and hurt smile.

“She saw my eyes Yoona…” Yuri explained. Yoona whipped her head back urgently to Yuri.

“Yuri. This will be your last chance. Either take the offer or suffer the same fate as them.” Sooyeon interrupted again impatiently. Jessica glared at Yuri intensely.

“Go. We don’t need you here.” Jessica said spitefully before turning her body around and ignoring Yuri again. Yuri just smiled sadly to herself and sighed. Yoona’s eyes were now piercing daggers into the back of Jessica’s head, sending silent curses.

“Listen Yuri… I don’t care what Jessica is saying, but don’t stay here. I’ll figure out a way to get us out of here. You can warn Taeyeon out there too. Please Yuri, don’t let Taeyeon fall.” Yoona pleaded.

“Yuri, please help Taeyeon” Tiffany whispered quietly from the back. Yuri slowly turned towards Sooyeon and the opened doors again.

“Okay Sooyeon. I accept your offer.” Yuri said quietly. Jessica turned her head to the side and watched her from the side of her eyes as Yuri slowly walked out of the metal bars. Sooyeon just smirked at Jessica before relocking the door again.

“I’ll be back soon, I promise” Yuri whispered to the three inside the cell. Yoona gave one short reassuring nod, giving a small wave and smile at her. Tiffany bit her lower lip sadly as her eyes pleaded with Yuri’s. Yuri started proceeding down the hallway towards the door with Sooyeon walking behind her.

Jessica then let out a long sigh as soon as Yuri was gone. Yoona and Tiffany stared at her curiously, wondering the reason behind her sigh. Jessica had a satisfied on her face as she hugged her legs.

“Yoona, what are the Elites?” Jessica whispered softly. Yoona ignored Jessica and walked towards SeoHyun again, seeing if there were any signs of her waking up again.

“Why would you care?” Yoona answered back spitefully. Jessica just gave a small chuckle.

“Because… I want to know… I heard your back snap Yoona, I saw Yuri’s bright red eyes. There’s no point in hiding it anymore. I heard it all… Sooyeon, is Taeyeon’s sister. Me? From my knowledge, I’m just a reimage.” Jessica just stated blatantly. Yoona and Tiffany both opened their eyes in surprise towards Jessica’s prediction.

“How did you get all that?” Tiffany said slowly. Jessica smirked.

“I’m not as dense as you think I am Tiffany. I catch onto some things faster than others.” Jessica answered.

“So Yoona, what are the Elites? Tiffany, I’m sure you should know. You’re close with Taeyeon after that period of total lifelessness.” Jessica raised her eyebrow at Tiffany. Tiffany bit her lower lip and stared at Yoona.

“I see you’ve caught on quite well Jessica. I guess there really is no point in hiding it” Yoona smirked. She then walked over to Jessica and held her wrist up.

“Watch carefully” Yoona said intensely. Jessica kept her eyes fixed on Yoona’s wrist whilst Tiffany looked away, knowing what Yoona was planning to do. Yoona brought her other hand up to her wrist and started digging her nails into her own skin, breaking the skin and causing bright red blood to ooze out. Jessica watched as the skin quickly started healing again. She didn’t seem at all surprised.

“You don’t have to prove you’re not human. I just want to know what you are” Jessica said bluntly. Yoona just smiled.

“Well, we are what we are. You humans are mortal… whilst we… are immortal” Yoona just shrugged and stood back up again. Jessica had a small smile on her face as she leaned her head against her knees again.

“So I fell for an immortal…” she said slowly. Tiffany’s jaw dropped at Jessica’s sudden confession.

“I just hope she manages to get out of here safely… I don’t know why… But it just mattered to me.” Jessica continued as if she was in her own world.

“I’m probably really strange huh? I just hope that Yuri is safe…” Jessica sighed. Tiffany and Yoona exchanged glances at each other before smiles grew on both their faces. They then looked over at SeoHyun who seemed to be sleeping soundly on the bed. They knew that SeoHyun would be the hardest to crack, but it was going to be easier.

Meanwhile, Yuri was still being followed towards the door. As she was at the bottom of the stairs she felt her arms being forced behind her back and her wrists being cuffed.

“But first off, we must allow the plan to finish. Once we have Taeyeon safely in our hands, you can walk free” Sooyeon hushed into Yuri’s ear. Yuri tried to pull her arms away from the cuffs around her wrists but it was sealed tight.

“Don’t worry, I keep my promises.” Sooyeon cooed.

“Yuri!” Yoona called back from the cell. Yuri looked back to see Yoona with a worried expression on her face. Yuri was then taken away by Sooyeon as the door closed again.

“What happened, Yoona?” Tiffany asked worriedly as she stood up again. Yoona turned around and faced Tiffany. Tiffany walked over to Yoona, her eyes never leaving Yoona’s.

“Where’s Yuri?” Tiffany continued.

“She… was taken by Sooyeon… She won’t be released until Taeyeon is in their hands…” Yoona explained slowly. Tiffany’s hands clenched into fists in rage. She knew that they had been played, played right into the trap.

“Taeyeon… Please be alright” Tiffany whispered solemnly as she looked through the only window in the cell where she could see that the sun was rising again.

 

~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~”~

 

Taeyeon gave a long stretch on her chair. She looked around the classroom to see that it was still empty. Checking her watch, she noticed that it was almost 11:30am but Yoona and Yuri were not in the classroom yet. SeoHyun, Jessica and Tiffany were supposed to meet up with them for the tutoring classes within thirty minutes soon too.

“Those two are seriously getting on my nerves these days. I told them to be careful” Taeyeon said impatiently, tapping her fingers against the table. She took out her phone and dialled Yuri’s number. No ring. Taeyeon then dialled Yoona’s phone. It rang this time, only there was no answer. Taeyeon was about to redial the numbers again but the door opened. She quickly turned towards the door, expecting the other two Elites to be there.

“Morning Taeyeon” Tiffany beamed whilst skipping into the classroom. Taeyeon stared at the door where there was supposed to be two others coming in. Only one came in after Tiffany.

“SeoHyun is sick today. Yoona decided to stay with her today.” Tiffany explained as she took her seat in front of Taeyeon. The other person behind Tiffany walked in with a dead expression on their face.

“Is Jessica still not feeling well?” Taeyeon said slowly. Jessica turned around and just gave a small nod as if to answer Taeyeon’s question. Taeyeon gave a sigh as she checked the time again and Yuri and Yoona were showing no signs of showing up soon.

“Something wrong Taeyeon?” Tiffany asked innocently once she took out all her books. Taeyeon turned around back to Tiffany and looked at the pile of stuff on the table, noticing that the iPad was missing again.

“Where’s your iPad?” Taeyeon asked bluntly, pointing towards Tiffany’s belongings on the table. Tiffany gave a loud gasp and hit her forehead slightly.

“Aish… I forgot it again… Sorry” Tiffany said dejectedly. Taeyeon’s eyes narrowed at Tiffany’s confession.

“Where’s SeoHyun? Is she coming? If she is tell her to bring the iPad along. I have a few points I want to take off.” Taeyeon grumbled. Tiffany looked over to Jessica innocently who was now sitting alone at the table.

“SeoHyun has fallen sick. Yoona decided to stay and look after her” Jessica waved her hand carelessly and answered two of Taeyeon’s questions. Taeyeon nodded slowly, having some relief as to where Yoona was. She then cocked her head to the side wondering what Yuri was doing, since Jessica was there with her.

“Do you know where Yuri is then?” Taeyeon turned to Tiffany. Tiffany just gave a slight pout and shrugged.

“I don’t know. Wasn’t she supposed to be with you?” Tiffany asked back. Taeyeon nodded slowly. She then took out her phone again to call Yuri, her phone still not ringing.

“Yesterday Yuri said that she was going downtown to check out a few documents regarding something, I don’t know. She said it was Yoona’s, yours and her business alone.” Jessica answered again.

“Something that involves the Elites?” Taeyeon whispered to herself curiously. Tiffany lowered her head to face Taeyeon directly with an innocent smile on her face.

“How about we go visit her? I’m sure if we took one day off it wouldn’t affect anything.” Tiffany suggested eagerly. Taeyeon raised her eyebrow at Tiffany’s sudden eagerness. Jessica stood up and passed Taeyeon a piece of paper with an address written on it with Yuri’s hand writing.

“Yuri said she’d be here. I think I’m going to go home and sleep. You and Tiffany have fun.” Jessica gave one quick smile before returning to her dull expression and walking out of the classroom. Tiffany and Taeyeon stared down at the piece of paper on the table curiously. Taeyeon picked it up and read the address. It seemed to be quite far off from any major cities and if she remembered properly, was mostly just a farmland.

*Then again… If it involved immortals I highly doubt it will be in the city* Taeyeon reasoned with herself.

“Well? Are we going? It seems fun” Tiffany was literally bouncing from her seat when she was asking Taeyeon. Taeyeon scrunched up the address in her hand and put it into her pocket and stood up with her blazer in her arm.

“Yuri’s alone right now right? We should see what’s so important that she needs to go alone for.” Taeyeon explained briefly before walking out the door again. Tiffany left all her stuff behind and skipped right beside Taeyeon. The two walked out of the college campus and towards the parking lot where Taeyeon’s car was waiting. Taeyeon opened the door quickly and hopped in while Tiffany scurried over to the passenger seat.

“Road trip!” Tiffany squealed excitedly and clapped her hands together once Taeyeon started the engine. Taeyeon rolled her eyes at Tiffany and started moving the car out of the parking lot. As they were driving towards their destination, Taeyeon noticed that Tiffany was rather fidgety and couldn’t keep her body still. Tiffany then caught Taeyeon’s glance and just smiled reassuringly, stopping her body from moving and sat still again. Taeyeon just shook her head slightly and returned her attention back onto the road in front of her.

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany then decided to start up a conversation.

“Hm?” Taeyeon answered back tiredly.

“Did you have anyone you liked before? You know… past lovers?” Tiffany asked curiously. Taeyeon pursed her lips together and remained silent. Tiffany kept her gaze on to the hesitating latter and waited. Finally Taeyeon just gave one small and stern nod.

“Once…” Taeyeon whispered slightly.

“Do you still have feelings for them?” Tiffany continued with a serious expression. Taeyeon’s grip onto the wheel tightened, not answering Tiffany’s question. Tiffany let out a disappointed sigh and sat back in her seat, staring straight ahead again.

“Well… I’m sure she was a very special someone then.” Tiffany added dejectedly. Taeyeon rested her elbow onto the window and leaned her head against her hand, her eyes slightly turning blue from remembering her old lover.
It wasn’t long before they finally reached their destination. It was a wide open field with nothing but grassland and a cliff side. Taeyeon got out of her car and started walking towards the gate that surrounded the grassland. It was the same area in which she had caught Sunny with Gi Kwang. She leaned against the gate and looked out onto the vast area in front of her. Tiffany soon joined her and stood beside her, giving a long sigh again.

“I wonder where Yuri is” Tiffany pouted. Taeyeon turned to look at Tiffany and scoffed. She then swiftly jumped over the gate and landed on the other side perfectly. The latter behind her burst into an applause at Taeyeon’s small show before clumsily climbing the gate and falling over, flat on her stomach. Taeyeon let out a long sigh and held her hand out towards Tiffany.

“Haha. Kinda clumsy” Tiffany giggled as she grabbed onto Taeyeon’s arm. When the both of them were on their feet, Taeyeon quickly let go of Tiffany’s hand and stared at her hand.

“Something wrong Tae?” Tiffany asked curiously. Taeyeon flexed her hand a few times as she pondered to herself. She then gave Tiffany a shake of the head and turned around to walk around the grassland with Tiffany skipping behind her happily. As they were walking, Taeyeon noticed that there was an opening in front of the cliff with footsteps leading into it. She stopped and stared at the floor sceptically. They were definitely Yuri’s shoes.

“Yuri’s probably in there” Tiffany said innocently. Taeyeon just gave a nod and stood up again, not moving anywhere.

“I still have feelings for them, but I haven’t forgiven them.” Taeyeon suddenly said bluntly. Tiffany blinked a few times wondering what Taeyeon was talking about.

“Could you repeat that?” Tiffany raised her eyebrow at Taeyeon.

“Your question from before, about my past lover. I still have lingering feelings, but I don’t think I can ever forgive them for what they did.” Taeyeon let a sad smile grow on the side of her face. Tiffany’s expression dropped to a sad frown, staring straight into Taeyeon’s eyes.

“I’m sure whatever she did; she did it for the better good. I mean, she’d have to be stupid to leave an incredible person like you. But I understand that you would still have lingering feelings. You are human after all.” Tiffany gave a reassuring nod. Taeyeon smirked as she dug into her shirt to pull out the key necklace again. She then ripped it off her neck and gripped it hard against the palm of her hand.

“Yeah… I guess” Taeyeon said slowly. She then lowered her hand and began walking into the opening of the cliff. It was a long tunnel in the opening, but slowly it started to reach an opening. The opening was lit up with a few holes in the rocks above them, allowing the sunlight to pass through.
As they progressed further the floor began to smooth out, the walls began to open wider and there were now torches lighting the way.

“Wow” Tiffany said in awe. Taeyeon just scoffed at her surroundings and started walking faster. Finally there was a bright light coming from the end of the wide tunnel coming from the torches in the opening. As Taeyeon stepped out of the long tunnel her surroundings were changed. It no longer seemed to be inside a cliff, but rather a large mansion. The floor was cemented and lined with tiles. The walls had paintings that had the flickering lights of the candles revealing their identities. Above the surrounding was a hollow dome that had obviously been man carved.
Towards the end of the opening there was a large open fire, towards the left was a closed door, and finally to the right was an open door.

Taeyeon narrowed her gaze down at the open door to see something stand out from the black background. It seemed to be moving slightly as Taeyeon took a step closer.

“Wooahh.” Tiffany exclaimed once she reached the open area. Taeyeon ignored Tiffany and continued to the right end of the opening. With each step she took she started to see that there really was something down the hall of the door.

Taeyeon reached the door and opened it wider to reveal a figure chained up a chain in the wall. The figure had raven black hair and a white uniform that was now dirty from the dirt around them. Taeyeon stood there, not taking a step closer inside the door. The chains shifted slightly as the figure looked up, revealing the identity of the prisoner and the cloth around their mouth.

“Yuri…” Taeyeon let out slowly after seeing the familiar features of Yuri. Yuri looked up at her with worried eyes. She then started shaking her head furiously towards Taeyeon, trying to scream but coming out as a mangled muffle under the cloth.

“Oh my god. Yuri” Tiffany suddenly came and gasped. Yuri stopped moving as she caught sight of Tiffany beside Taeyeon, confusion washing over her like a tsunami.

“Tiffany… Do you remember how you said I would get over my feelings for my past lover?” Taeyeon suddenly asked calmly. Tiffany pouted slightly trying to remember the recent conversation.

“Yeah… It’s only normal for humans to have lingering feelings. Why?” Tiffany tilted her head to the side as she answered. Taeyeon gripped onto the necklace that was still in her hand and smiled slightly.

“You couldn’t be more wrong.” Taeyeon said quietly. Yuri from the chains was watching with confused eyes as the two were conversing. Tiffany just raised her eyebrows high, wondering what Taeyeon was saying again.

Then, within a blink of an eye, Taeyeon had Tiffany pinned down against the floor with her hands around the latter’s neck.

“Who are you?!” Taeyeon growled loudly.