Lunch

Falling For You Again

 

“SEOHYUN, WHAT WAS THE passcode again?” Tiffany poked at the electronic security system beside the door to the roof deck.

“2543,” Seohyun recited perfectly.

“That brain of yours is really something,” Jessica remarked while Tiffany keyed in the passcode.

The door beeped before a click was heard. It slowly began to open and the three girls stared in awe at the scenery revealed before them. The floor was paved with pearl white bricks, making a pathway to sets of tables and chairs under the shade of tall trees. Beside the pathway was a batch of lush green grass, not even a sign of a weed living in it. Tiffany, Jessica and Seohyun were astonished the moment they saw three perfect figures perched on the seats, drinking what seemed to be red cordial.

Yoona rose from her seat and welcomed them with arms outstretched. “Tiffany. Jessica. Seo—” She was interrupted when she felt Yuri pinching her ear.

“Ow! That hurts, Yuri!” Yoona yelped as she peeled Yuri’s hand off. The girl only smirked before she went back to their leader’s side.

Taeyeon was now regarding the three girls with a stone-cold gaze. After a while, she turned her head and shot Yoona a disapproving glare as she said, “Yoona…”

“What? I thought they would want some personal time with us. Besides, it’s not like anyone will know about this except us. It’s only us six who know the passcode now.” Yoona pouted as she went to sit beside Taeyeon. Taeyeon exhaled, long and loud, before returning her attention to the vast landscape of the campus and the city.

Yuri bowed to the three girls politely. “I’m sorry. Our leader isn’t very… social.”

As Yuri lifted her head up, she flipped her hair and ran her hand through it to move the stray strands out of her face.  Seohyun and Jessica were mesmerised by the plain sight of the wind blowing through Yuri’s tresses. She was too beautiful for her own good.

Tiffany, on the other hand, was staring at Taeyeon. She walked up to Taeyeon and slammed her hand on the table, startling the latter.

“Could you at least say hello to us? Don’t ignore others. It is very rude,” scolded Tiffany sternly. She had a huge sense of manners and it was provoked by Taeyeon’s attitude.

Taeyeon looked at the hand which was on the table. She traced the arm up and finally stared at Tiffany’s face blankly. After a few seconds, Taeyeon whipped her head around and lazily propped her chin on the palm of her hand while resting her elbow on the table. She resumed her little leisure as if nothing happened.

“Yah!” Tiffany hit the table again.

Taeyeon slammed both her hands on the table as well before she stood up, heading to the opposite side of the roof deck where another table was set up. Tiffany clenched her teeth as Jessica went beside her and tugged on her arm.

“Tiffany… why are you being like this?” whispered Jessica.

Yoona casually took another sip of her drink before she skipped over to the grassy area and settled down on the floor, staring up at the sky. Yuri sighed heavily and came up to Taeyeon to sit next to her.

“Unnie. We’re here to thank them, remember?” Seohyun reminded Tiffany. Tiffany closed her hands tightly into a fist, took a few deep breaths and gradually relaxed. She approached Taeyeon and Yuri with fists still firmly clenched.

“Thank you for what you did today. Thank you for helping us find the hall and for saving Jessica,” Tiffany muttered, forcing the words out of mouth. She was obviously in no mood to express her thanks to the other party. Nevertheless, she did a ninety degree a bow before she proceeded to the exit.

Jessica quickly grabbed her hand to stop her friend. “Stop being so stubborn!” She pulled Tiffany’s arm hard, making the girl lose her balance. She tripped on the side where the grass met the paved bricks and slowly began falling backwards. Fortunately, before she could hit the floor, a pair of arms held her and put her on her feet.

Tiffany spun around and found Taeyeon standing behind her with her back faced to her.

“Yah Tiffany! Thank her properly.” Jessica grumbled and stepped on Tiffany’s foot.

Seohyun took the matter into her hands and stood in front of them. She bowed graciously at Taeyeon. “Thank you for saving Jessica and Tiffany today. Thank you for this morning too,” said Seohyun sincerely.

Tiffany was still a little mad at Taeyeon’s attitude but regardless, the girl had caught her fall and it sure had earned her some credit. “Sorry about what I said earlier. I just get worked up when I find things improper. Thank you for today,” Tiffany followed, her tone indignant.

“Yes, thank you Taeyeon-shi for helping me with the girls,” added Jessica in a small voice.

Taeyeon finally turned around and looked at the three girls while she answered, “No problem.”

The two Elites were greatly surprised to hear Taeyeon respond to the trio. Yuri’s drink slipped from her hold as she swiftly twisted her neck to get a glimpse of the scene while Yoona immediately halted her sky gazing and focused on them. Taeyeon returned to the benches, her cold mien has resurfaced but the shock still lingered in the air.

Yoona snapped out of her trance and went to hug Yuri. “Yuri! Taeyeon answered them! She hasn’t spoken to anyone aside from us in a hundred ye—” A hand abruptly covered to stop her from divulging any more details.

Both members nervously met their leader’s eyes only to receive a murderous glare.  Tiffany, Jessica and Seohyun observed the three Elites curiously, unaware of the plight the two was in.

Yoona quickly got the message. She grinned and explained, “Taeyeon isn’t much of social butterfly but you have to admit she has a really nice voice, right? It’s very rare hearing it outside of a speech.” She shot a wink to the three. The girls unconsciously nodded in response to her question.

Taeyeon then turned her back and continued drinking her cordial. Yuri didn’t follow her this time. Instead, she studied the trio while thinking deeply with her arms folded over her chest. An idea came to her and she traded glances with Yoona. She received a smile and an approving nod from the other.  Seohyun was starting to get uncomfortable because of the silent conversation the two Elites were having.

“Alright!” Yuri suddenly exclaimed, followed by an energetic clap. This was odd for Tiffany, Jessica and Seohyun as they never imagined that she could be this animated. They perceived Yuri as someone who was always calm and collected. Yoona snorted when she saw Yuri’s expression.

Yuri reverted to her calm nature and asked, “Would you girls mind doing me and Yoona a favour?” Jessica just stared at Tiffany hesitantly, Tiffany turned her head to the side and Seohyun hid behind Tiffany.

“We would like you to hang around us longer. I have a feeling that Taeyeon has a liking to you three. Although it may not show, we have an impression that she wouldn’t mind you three joining us. Hopefully, we can get Taeyeon to open up a little to the public.” Yuri gave a charming smile.

Seohyun stepped out from behind Tiffany and looked at Yoona who was nodding her head. Yoona caught her gaze and Seohyun quickly diverted her eyes. Yoona just smiled at the cute and shy Seohyun.

“Don’t worry. No one will know about this. Besides, being around these two can be such a downer sometimes.” Yoona pouted. Yuri gave a quick small slap across Yoona’s head as Yoona’s expression became overly shocked.

“Unnie. Stop bullying me so much,” Yoona said in an unusually high-pitched voice. Taeyeon from the back then threw a ball of paper towards Yoona and Yuri’s fingers just curled as goose bumps ran up her arm.

“No whining!” Taeyeon yelled from the back with an annoyed voice. Yoona just smiled and ran towards Taeyeon and leaned in towards Taeyeon’s ear.

“Unnie,” Yoona said in her voice again. Taeyeon’s fingers then started to curl as she stood up and ran to the other side of the roof.

Tiffany, Jessica and Seohyun just started laughing silently as they saw the more playful and relaxed side of the Elites. Taeyeon then threw a bottle at Yoona and Yoona quickly caught it before it had the chance to hit her face. Yuri was now behind Yoona as she wrapped her arm around Yoona’s neck, pretending to choke her.

“You know how much we hate that voice.” Yuri growled as she released Yoona. Yoona pouted and ran behind Tiffany.

“Tiffany, they’re bullying me.” Yoona pouted as she pointed her finger towards Taeyeon and Yuri.

The two just looked at each other before they sat down again, tired from all of Yoona’s annoying voice.

Tiffany just smiled and Jessica leaned on Seohyun for support as she held her laughter in. Taeyeon then looked at Tiffany and saw her eyes turn into crescents from her smile. Taeyeon was stunned for a second, but then she cleared and returned to her calm exterior. Yuri now walked up to Jessica and Seohyun, leaving Yoona behind Tiffany.

“So what do you girls say?” Yuri asked as she turned her head to the side. Yoona then mischievously took Tiffany’s arm and waved it in the air.

“We’re in!” Yoona let out a mangled cry as she tried to imitate Tiffany’s voice. Tiffany turned around and looked at Yoona who was now smiling brightly. Yuri was still looking at her expectantly, wanting her real answer. Tiffany looked at Jessica and Seohyun behind her, rubbing their hands together, begging her to accept the proposition that Yuri had brought up. She then looked at Taeyeon who was completely ignoring her. Tiffany then gave out a quick huff of breath and nodded towards Yuri.

“I want to try change Taeyeon’s attitude,” Tiffany mumbled. Yuri, Yoona and Seohyun just giggled.

Jessica, on the other hand, somehow felt uncomfortable. Taeyeon then turned around and saw Jessica’s uneasy expression. She thought that she felt intimidated around the Elites and wanted to help her. Truth was Taeyeon could not stand to see a girl in distress despite her emotionless façade.

She walked over to Jessica. Yuri, Yoona, Tiffany and Seohyun froze, scared that Taeyeon might have heard them. Instead, Taeyeon walked past them and looked at Jessica. Jessica then stopped breathing once Taeyeon was in front of her. Taeyeon lifted her hand up. Jessica flinched, not knowing what was happening. Taeyeon then started patting Jessica’s head.

“Calm down,” Taeyeon muttered as she walked past her and went out through the door. Jessica turned around, watching Taeyeon’s back. She then started breathing again when the door closed behind her. Tiffany and Seohyun sighed with relief.

“I thought she was going to slap you for a second.” Tiffany sighed as she held onto Jessica’s hand.

“Yeah…” Jessica didn’t have much more to say. Yuri and Yoona started giggling.

“Taeyeon would never hit anyone,” they said in unison, finding the statement Tiffany made ridiculous.

The end of lunch bell rang.

“We should get back now. The Elites have training with the every-so-hungry teacher. If you would excuse us,” Yuri said politely. Yoona’s smile faded and she rolled her eyes.

“Meet again tomorrow. Same place, same time,” Yoona said as she quickly gave everyone a hug and ran out the door, following Yuri. Jessica remained still, trying to calm her fast beating heart.

“College is going to be fun.” Tiffany clapped her hands with excitement. Seohyun just nodded awkwardly as she played with her fingers.