- Cherry's Downtown Coffee Shop -

Summer Days

Flashback

Indeed, their first date was a total mess in words of nervousness, awkwardness and spilled coffee.

In fact this wasn’t quite of a date. One time, at school, during lunch time Ravi sat next to Hakyeon, just to humbly hand him a purple sticky note on which was written ‘if you’d like, come tomorrow after hours at the Cherry’s downtown coffee shop. I’ll wait for you’. He quickly gave it to him then he ran and sat at another table.

Ravi didn’t sleep that night. He was more than worried. He scolded himself for doing such thing, but he felt like the quiet boy who always sits in front of him in the class room mesmerized him. It was so bad that Ravi would always end up by staring at him and day dreaming during classes. He thought the boy wouldn’t come in the morning, he feared that he’d end up sitting alone at the table drinking sadly his sweet coffee… He even joked around according to his situation. ‘Really, Wonshik? A note? At least you didn’t gave him a rose and a ring, why not?!’

At last, the morning came. He barely got two hours of sleep, he washed up and dressed nicely, adding to his uniform a little badge with the shape of a little red heart.

‘Thanks God it looks like a dot from the distance.’ Said Jaehwan to him when they met in the class. Ravi managed to stay awake during all of his classes, being more and more excited as the time was approaching. The boy in front of him, Hakyeon didn’t say a word, except from the usual ‘Good morning’ and their little chatty talk before their teacher entered in the class room. They were in their first year of highschool.

      ‘Good luck, dude!’ whispered Ken as their classes were over and they were leaving.

Hakyeon left the class firstly and Ravi begun to worry again. He took a deep breath in and arranged his bag and ruffled his hair. Back then he didn’t have short hair in front and shaved on both sides. He had a medium hair length, not too long but it went over his ears just a little. He gave off an innocent feeling, yet he was also really handsome for his age. With steps full of emotions, Ravi walked towards the meeting place. When he was closer, he felt how his heart was going crazy, he started to breathe heavily, feeling his bag heavier than when he left the school. ‘He won’t come…’ thought the nervous boy. He arrived in front of the coffee shop and he entered looking down, as if he was completely sure that Hakyeon isn’t there or he won’t come and he’ll stop talking to him in the mornings at school. He was afraid. His hands were shaking and for a tough boy like Ravi, these things were rare.

He looked at the tall woman who was waiting for clients to pay their orders and she smiled seeing his favorite customer. This was Ravi’s perfect place. There wasn’t a day when he wouldn’t come here. The woman that also owns the coffee shop took the boy in the back so many times and showed him how to prepare the coffee and she revealed to him some tricks for a more than perfect cappuccino.

This woman, Cherry loves Ravi and she considers him as her child. Usually she’s a frowny and stiff woman, who barely smiles but Ravi always makes her laugh.

- Hello, Cherry. Your hairstyle is really nice today. Saluted Ravi, putting his elbows onto the cashier’s table.

- Stop it, boy. What happened? Her voice was sweet, yet powerful.

- Why do you ask?

- You never enter my coffee shop looking down. You’re like this boy who came in earlier.

- What boy?! Ravi almost yelled as he began to look around.

- Calm down, boy! He went and sat on your favourite place. I told him that table is taken but he… just smiled and he still sat down there…

- Thanks, Cherry, you’re the best! Ravi pointed out and he ran towards his table. He liked that one because of the place where it was set up; right next to the window, far away from the cashier and from the door, this table was almost hidden from the other tables too. It was the perfect place and Ravi wanted so much to show this to Hakyeon.

Though he rushed when he heard what Cherry said, Ravi had a heavy heart. He didn’t expect anything in that moment.

‘He can’t be…’ he thought. The boy who now is sitting on Ravi’s seat is looking out the window, having his back at Ravi who now is analyzing every inch of that specific silhouette he knows so well. Ravi’s face changed completely back then, he started to smile widely, not knowing what to do or what to say to him. He was the happiest in that moment.

- Hakyeon… you came. Ravi’s voice was shaky as he almost fell down trying to have a seat in front of his friend.

- Wonshik, you’re late. Hakyeon murmured, avoiding his gaze. You always do that. Continued the embarrassed boy after a few seconds of awkward silence.

- Oh, sorry… I’m really sorry. What I always do? Stumbling? Yeah, I know I’m such a…

- Wonshik. Slow down a little, hahaha… Hakyeon felt the need to stop his friend because he clearly was overwhelmed by the fact that he actually came to Cherry’s Downtown Coffee Shop. I was talking about the staring. Said Hakyeon, smiling.

- Aaah! About that… Ravi scratched the back of his head, being really cute.

- So you called me here to keep me without a sweet coffee? Hakyeon asked playfully as he was observing Wonshik’s gestures.

It was pretty hard in their first year and the first semester of the second one of high school, because Hakyeon wasn’t able almost never to look properly at Wonshik, the only time he could do this was when the unsettled boy was called out in front of the whole class by their home teacher whether for scolding him or just making him to tell the lesson they had to prepare as homework, and of course after hours.

- Right! Can I choose something for you? I want to see if you’ll enjoy it. Ravi asked being really excited.

- Okay, I’ll let you surprise me. Smiled Hakyeon as Ravi left to get the coffees.

 

- Cherry, I need you. Ravi whispered, leaning towards the tall woman, making her to lean in too.

- That’s a cheesy way of approaching a woman. Cherry joked, but she became serious again seeing Ravi’s concerned face. Fine, what happened this time?

- I want coffee. Ravi simply said.

- Oh no! Where do you think you are, in a coffee shop? No no… Ravi’s concerned look transformed in a frowned one. You know, I have two nice waiters that are paid to take your orders.

- I know, I know… but I want my special coffee… the one I learned to prepare with you.

- Mhm…I get it. You want to impress that boy? You know him? Asked Cherry, arranging her curly hair.

- Yes, he’s my classmate.

- Let’s go. We should hurry.

Ravi nodded and he went into the kitchen, following Cherry. They prepared the coffee, two mugs fastly and after thanking to the woman, Ravi rushed back to Hakyeon who was looking again outside the window.

- I’m back! Ravi faced his friend who now is looking at him, smiling.

- And you brought coffee. Hakyeon said cutely, making Ravi to feel more than nervous.

- You’re so… beautiful…. Almost whispered Ravi.

- What?! Hakyeon said surprised, being embarrassed about the way his friend is looking at him.

- Nothing! Nothing! Here’s your… coffee! Ravi, trembling, put down the mugs and, without wanting, he hit with his hand the mug and Hakyeon’s coffee went all over the table.

- Oh my God, Wonshik! Hakyeon jumped a little, being startled, not wanting the coffee to drip onto his uniform.

- I’m so so so sorry! Ravi apologized as he got scared and took some tissues and begun to wipe the table, being really terrified.

- I’ve ruined everything… Ravi murmured then sat down pouting.

- Hey, it’s okay, it’s just a coffee mug…. Hakyeon smiled.

- Take mine! Ravi proposed, pushing his mug in front of his friend.

- I can’t do that. I’m just going to order another one. Hakyeon was about to call the waiter, but Wonshik interrupted him.

- Please, it’s special… Ravi begged, being serious and looking into Hakyeon’s eyes.

 At that time, Hakyeon was surprised by Ravi and couldn’t say no so he just took his coffee. Wonshik followed every move of the boy who was sitting in front of him.

- Mmm! What’s this?? Hakyeon was mesmerized by the sweet taste of the coffee. Ravi smiled widely.

- Do you like it?

- I think I would drink it every morning if I could. So good! He said happily then took another sip from the mug of coffee.

- I can make it for you… every morning. Ravi confessed as he crossed his arms and put them on the table and then he leaned, resting his chin onto them, looking at Hakyeon.

- What? What are you talking about? Hakyeon’s attention was captured by Ravi’s words.

- You see, I made it… Ravi chuckled.

- Really?! I don’t believe you. The boy said teasingly then he drank from the mug once again.

- Then let me demonstrate it. Every morning I’ll bring the coffee to you at school. Can I?

- Let’s say yes, but… How do I know that you actually made it?

Ravi took out something from his uniform’s pocket and gave it to Hakyeon.

- You really like these notes…

It was another purple sticky note. Hakyeon unfolded it and as he was reading it, Ravi could observe how the boy’s cheeks turned a little red.

- Uhm… sure, why not? Hakyeon said flustered and nervous after reading the note. On the purple piece of paper was written nicely the following:

‘’Would you like to come to my house on Saturday?

Only for Coffee’s secrets purpose.’'

The End of Flashback