A Sensational Korean

It's Hard for Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

"This is stupid," I grumbled, turning over another seemingly leading stone to discover the wet dirt beneath it's smooth surface.

"Just keep looking, we only need to find one more piece and than we're done, " Daesung smiled, lifting a particularly odd shaped branch to see if anything was beneath it. The worn wood creaked under the pressure of gravity before falling to piece about Daesung's hand.

"Nice one Dae," I chuckled earning a scowl from the older man, his usually clean combed hair matted with sweat. It had been a couple of weeks since I'd first arrived at the Facility, and although the time seemed to pass slowly within its walls it was already the mid of summer and the sun was at its hottest in the sky. Giving my hair a fanning I proceeded forward along the leaf ridden dirt path, Dr.Lacava had given Daesung and I a group assignment to complete before the end of the week. We had done nothing but slack off for the better part of the week, laying in the sun, Kayoing with each other when we found ourselves with a spare moment, all the while pushing our task off for another day. Now here we were desperately trying to complete a list of items that Dr.Lacava asked us to find. We weren't sure why he needed these things or even how this was worth the effort in helping us, but we had managed to find three of the four items on our list. "Dae what about over here?" I asked, slipping through low hanging branches to find a small over turned bucket laying upon a moss patch in the center of the forest bed.

This is weird. What is this doing out here?

Daesung dropped the rocks he had been holding and came to examine the bucket, his eyes squinting in disbelief at what he was seeing. "Why would he hide it somewhere so easy name ? That doesn't make any sense," he disagreed turning to stare into my eyes. Since the bet had started Daesung had grown more and more confident around me as time went on. His once shy, tentative style had changed into a relaxed and confident front that he used to the best of his abilities to win. Shaking my head at him I went to the bucket giving the end a knocking. Listening carefully I waited to hear the bucket ring back when no sound returned I decided that it was probably empty lifting the lid I jolted from my spot, the swift movements of a garden snake causing me to run towards Daesung gripping the man desperately in an attempt to escape. Daesung did his best to see what I was so scared over and when he managed to see the retreating snake he joined in my fear. We hugged each other tightly jumping up and down in what I assumed was an attempt to fend off the creature that had already made its way far from us. By the time we realized how ridiculous we would look to anyone that came along we had already fallen to the forest floor, the moss staining our jeans while the leaves broke pieces of themselves off to cling to our clothes. Looking to Daesung I gave him a smile of understanding before bursting into laughter. "What happened you were suppose to protect me?" I joked giving him a push with my hand.

"Says who? You're the one that picked up the barrel," he laughed, pointing with his chin in the direction of the over turned bucket now lying on its side rocking back and forth.

"I didn't know death would be waiting for me," I defended myself, getting up to examine the bucket. To my surprise their was something lying in the spot that the bucket had once stood, its white surface seeming out of place on the moss bed. Picking up the sign I turned it over in my hands examining the red cross on the center of the square sign. Turning to look at Daesung he gave me a look of confusion reaching for the sign to examine the metal closer.

"Doesn't seem to be anything but a medical sign," he said gliding his fingers along the smooth cool metal. "I don't get it," he said moving to stand up and tuck the sign away in the backpack we'd been given by Nurse Bom.

"That doesn't make sense, the note from Dr.Lacava said that the last item would explain the reasoning for the rest of the items," looking to the sky I tried to think about what we had collected thus far that day. First it had been two masks, each one made of light polished wood, the likes of which resembled dramatic smiling faces with painted ruby cheeks and dark lined eyes. Each mask had one of our initials on it and according to the note that was strung with them the mask were for us to keep. Dr.Lacava also explained that this hunt was for reasons of discovery and encouraged us to figure out what the meaning of each item was. On the inside of the mask the word HIDE was etched along the brow and to Daesung's observation it seemed to seemed to be scratched deep enough so that light could be seen through it. The item that followed was an opal backed hand mirror shaped to resemble a heart with a long elegant handle, on the sides of the mirror were the carvings of our initials followed by the word REVEAL. The note stuck to the mirror had informed us of the location of the last and final item which we now held in our possession.

"It said RECOVER," Daesung informed, thinking about the meaning as he fanned himself with his shirt. I watched the fabric bounce along his solid chest the beads of sweat running down the length of his neck to disappear behind the pink fabric. Daesung noticed me looking and gave me a side smile that caused me to blush a little, clearing my throat I pointed towards the path we'd been traveling on.

"We should probably get back now. The others might think we got lost out here," I stated walking past him feeling his hand grab my arm I turned to look into his tender eyes his face moving closer to my own.

"name I...your probably right," he sighed looking disappointed with himself. I knew that he wanted to say something, what it was I wasn't sure of, but I knew that he had been trying to tell me since the beginning of this scavenger hunt. Since the start of this stupid bet Daesung had become my go to guy, he had been there whenever I felt overwhelmed by the members constant suggestive jokes or actions; the one that I could rely on to just act like a friend rather than a love interest. It meant a lot to me. Moving to grip Daesung's arm I gave him a head hug letting him know that I appreciated his company while we walked, Daesung gave me a confident smile lighting the path with his brilliant smile. By the time the Facility came into view we had been so lost in deep conversation that we didn't even notice the others coming towards us.

"Awe, how come you never walk with me like that,' Jiyong pretended to whine, putting on a pouty face that quickly turned to a laugh.

"Looks like Daesung is smarter than we thought," Youngbae joked jabbing at Daesung's side playfully, "have you been keeping secrets from us?"

"I can't tell you, it would ruin everything," he smiled earning a slap from me and a quick retreat of my hand on his arm. "Wah, what did I do?" Daesung looked shocked his mouth wide in playful confusion.

"You know," I said stepping from him fe

Please log in to read the full chapter