Blossoms of change

It's Hard for Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

This is never gonna work

    “Guys I don’t think this is going to work. I mean look at the base, a couple of dusty old books and some duct tape doesn’t really scream support to me,” I watched as the guys started putting their formulated plan into action. This nonsense had started earlier that morning with a less than contained Jiyong gossiping over Nurse Bom’s confiscation pile. From what I had gather through bites of egg, was that Nurse Bom had taken various things from the members since their stay here. She had cleverly hidden the items in a place that had, until recently, been impossible to find. That is until a sneaky Jiyong had managed to find out where she was hiding their items.

    “They’re on top of the old bookshelf in the doctor’s office, the one with the giant blue elephant bookends,” he had relayed his findings to the others erupting immediate chatter over the breakfast table. I hadn’t much to say, I never had anything taken from me by Nurse Bom, not that I brought all that much to be taken anyway. Leaning against the giant doors of the office I watched as Seungri straightened up another pile of books to add support to the pile resting against the bookshelf. Since discovering the hiding place and coming up with a way to keep Nurse Bom distracted, the guys had forgotten to find the ladder, incidentally, Nurse Bom had hidden that too, and as a result they were preparing to use the books as a stepping stool of sorts.

    “I still think it’s gonna fall,” I warned them, earning a grumble from Seungri.

“Well if you’re so worried about it you can come over here and help you know?” He stood up rubbing at his shoulder trying to ease the tension in them.

“I’d rather not be responsible for when it falls and kills someone,” I retorted at him. “Seunghyun can’t you talk some sense into your younger friends?” I waved towards Seunghyun whom was currently munching away on some snack in his elected lounge chair.

“Move it to the right,” was his response.

“Thanks,” I shook my head at him. Seunghyun managed a wink before resuming interest in his snack.

“Alright, it should be ready to go,” Seungri looked over his work with a confident nod.

“But Seungri it’s too short. I’ll never be able to reach,” Daesung complained.

“He’s right V, it’s not gonna be enough. We need more books,” Jiyong rubbed at his chin in concern.

“We don’t have any big enough, you know for a doctor Lacava doesn’t really have all that many textbooks,” Seungri scanned the shelves trying to find anything else they could use.

“Oh well. It can’t be helped, we’re just going to have to put name on Daesung’s shoulders,” Jiyong nodded.

“What? Seunghyun is literally right there,” I motioned aggressively towards Seunghyun’s chair. “He’s taller than all of you, why can’t he climb up there?”

“He’s busy,” Daesung answered.

“No he’s not. He’s just eating,”

“That’s a pretty important task,” Seunghyun agreed.

“I don’t know. Maybe she’s right, we don’t want to destroy Daesung’s back or anything,” Seungri’s deadpan was not amusing in the slightest.

“One more word out of you and I swear I’ll tell them everything you told me last night,” I warned him.

“You said you wouldn’t tell anyone,” Seungri’s eyes grew larger.

“Well don’t make a liar out of me,”

“Wait a minute. Wait a minute...what did he say?” Jiyong asked coming closer to me.

“Nothing that concerns you hyung,” Seungri tried to grab me, but Jiyong’s hand met his face holding the younger man back.

“Come on you can tell me,” Jiyong pried.

“Wah! You’re still not done yet?” Youngbae’s frantic voice barked behind us, his eyes shifting from the room to the hallway several times. “She’s coming so hurry up,” he warned, racing out again trying to buy more time for the group.

“We’ll talk about this later…name hurry up and get on Daesung’s shoulders,”

“Seriously guys it’d be a lot easier if Seunghyun did it,”

“We don’t have time to argue. Hurry up,” Seungri pushed me towards Daesung, who had squatted down to let me on his shoulders. Once I was securely on, Daesung rose carefully to stand walking towards the bookshelves I tried to see what they were looking for on top. Amongst the dust, and cobwebs there was an array of little things scattered about the surface. Grabbing all the things I could reach I lowered them down to the waiting men below. I could feel Jiyong’s hand on my lower back supporting me.

“There that’s everything, “ I said. Wanting to get off Daesung as quickly as I could, the man’s hands started to shake warning me that he wouldn’t be willing to hold me for very much longer.

“No that can’t be everything,” Seungri assured me.

“Well it is,” I argued back.

“He’s right there’s got to be a key up there somewhere,” Jiyong confirmed.

“Guys she’s getting heavy,” Daesung warned.

A key

I searched the shelves long surface and found a few steps down what they were talking about, hung up on a nail was a silver round key. It’s placement careful as though that was the true treasure up here  “I can’t reach it, you’re going to have to move down Dae,” I informed, his face was starting to turn red and the more I moved on top of him the harder it was getting for him to keep me balanced. Daesung inhaled sharply before shifting down towards the other end of the bookcase.

“She’s coming,” Youngbae warned, the sound of his feet shuffling back and forth told me that we didn’t have very much time. “10, 9, 8..”

“We’re not going to reach it in time, “ Seungri whispered.

“A little more,” I urged Daesung.

“5….4, guys,” Seunghyun’s hand reached for the key, using one of his fingers he flicked it off the nail. Grabbing for it among the dust he brought it down and hopped off the books, immediately sitting down and picking one up pretending to read. It was at that moment that Nurse Bom came into the room looking at Daesung and myself standing in the middle of the room.

“What are you doing?” She asked angrily, her foot beginning to tap as she crossed her arms.

“We a…” I fumbled

“Were trying to see how tall the ceiling was?” Seungri jumped in to save me.

“Why?”

“Because next time we have a party we’re going to play this new game I’m inventing, yes there will be drinking and yes we’ll probably get in trouble, but think of it this way Nurse Bom. We’re building friendships,” he gave a sly smile that reminded me of a fox.

He’s such a liar

    “Well I suppose so, but name do get off Daesung. The poor boy looks like he’s about to collapse,”

“Yes ma’am,” Daesung was looking pretty red now, a steady beading of sweat covered his brow and I was sure he had stopped breathing somewhere along the line. Getting off his shoulders I gave him a smile of apology before helping him wipe his sweat away. Nurse Bom then urged us out of the doctor’s office, saying it was no place for us to be if he wasn’t present. The doctor had taken off soon after Youngbae got back to the house, he had other patiences to worry about back home, and he had promised he’d stop in again to see us soon. Not that anyone was really going to miss the man.

When we were sure she had left, I whipped around to give Seunghyun a good smack to the shoulder. “I could of fallen. All because you couldn’t be bothered to stop eating your damn cookies,” I stomped my foot next to his italian leather shoes.

“Watch it!. Besides, you were fine, and I was eating chips not cookies,” he grinned, getting up he ruffled my hair while walking away from me. I tried to go after him, but felt the familiar hands of Youngbae calming me down.

“He’s not worth it,”

“He’s worth a kick in the pants,” I shouted after him. “ I don’t know why I had to go up there in the first place, all that was up there was a couple of dirty magazines, a ball, a C.D. and that key,” I waved towards Seunghyun whom had disappeared into the kitchen.

“That key is why,” Youngbae smiled walking with me towards the kitchen. “It goes to the golf cart outside,”

“Sure does, that baby can get some speed if you push her enough,” Seungri laughed.

“We’ll have to wait a little, make sure Nurse Bom doesn’t suspect anything before we go get the cart though,” Jiyong said, flipping through one of the magazines we’d retrieved.

“Where is it?” I asked.

“We have it hidden in the forest, Nurse Bom never goes back there so she never thought to take it away from us,” Daesung explained, “I guess she thought having the key was enough.”

“Why didn’t you just hotwire it?” I asked earning myself looks of disbelief.

“What kind of people do you think we are? We’re not criminals after all, why would we know how to do that?” Seungri seemed insulted. He wore that face so often that it was more normal for me to see him with it, than without it.

“I don’t know, because it’s easy to look it up. I mean I know how to do it,”

“You do,” they all practically said in unison.

“Well, well, well men it looks like we have a troublemaker on our hands after all,” Seunghyun grinned placing his hand on my head.

“How exciting,” Youngbae laughed.

Please log in to read the full chapter