Paying off Persistence

It's Hard for Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

I've got to be too old for this.

The thought crossed my mind as I strained against the metal box frame of the mattress, I had managed to find a pretty good hiding spot. Out of sight, difficult to manage, and a complete nightmare to obtain the longer I waited to be found. I wasn't entirely sure how the decision to play hide and seek came about, whenever we decided something it always seemed to be a unanimous yes without much thought of should we? I don't know who suggested the time killer, we had a couple of hours before the next set of test and Dr. Lacava was busy at a medical conference so sessions were canceled for the day. I felt my arms starting to grow weak, I wasn't anywhere near strong enough to hold my body weight for this long. As my luck would have it, because no one in the entirety of the world had as much bad luck as I did, the shuffling of footsteps approached. I started to hold my breath, willing my arms to last a little longer as a pair of dark shoes stopped besides the mattress. I could tell by the designer label and black and yellow checkered pattern that the shoes belonged to the seeker. When picking Seunghyun to be it, I had mistakenly assumed that the task of keeping hidden from the man would be simple. He didn't seem like the type to run around on all fours checking every nook and cranny for the hiding players, how wrong I was.

Seunghyun had found Jiyong within a minute of the games start, next was Daesung, and soon after Youngbae. If Dae hadn't taken the bait I'd placed it would have been me that had gotten caught rather than him.

Poor innocent, stupid Dae.

 Seunghyun's shoes began tapping against the grass starting a slow dance around the bed I watched in horror as they disappeared above me. The springs gave a creak and I felt my body jostled as the mattress pressed against my back, dropping from the frame I tried not to make a sound. Seunghyun began whistling a rather eerie tune above me, the frame shaking with his bodies movements. He stopped only to laugh and say, "cutie I'll give you five seconds to run home." My heart dropped, he knew. Scrambling out from under the bed I looked at him, the sign of amusement painted along his features. Seunghyun winked and I took off running. I had to make it to the safe base, the front mat of the back porch, if I could make it there I wouldn't have to he seeker. I hate playing seeker. 

I saw a flash of blond appear somewhere from within the trees, Seungri was making a mad dash towards the porch and I only had a slight lead on him. Glancing back for a moment I was jolted with adrenaline, Seunghyun was on the move. Running faster than I would have thought possible for him, he looked deranged as he came toward us. Slipping on a patch of grass I crashed into the side of the porch, desperately crawling my way onto the hard wood leaping towards the mat. 

"I made it!" I coughed out, my lungs slurping in air as I watched Seungri hit the stairs in a sprint. I hadn't seen Seunghyun behind him, hadn't even heard the man as he slammed his body into Seungri's knocking the both of them into the grass. "It's like a lion killing a gazelle," I felt my face scrunch in disbelief. 

"Yeah, only Seungri has no chance of escape," Jiyong picked at the thread of his ripped jeans.

"Alright Hyung! Get off me," Seungri tried to free himself as Seunghyun sat on him playfully rubbing at his shoulders. 

"Ah Seungri, little V.I tried to run from me huh?" Seunghyun smiled, jostling the blondes hair.

"Since when did you get so fast?" I stepped tentatively off base.

"I run on the treadmill at least three times a week," Seunghyun dismounted Seungri hopping up the stairs to wrap his arm around my shoulders. "This body don't come easy."

"I guess so. Do you all work out like that?" I thought about my own condition and doubted that I did nearly as much as they did.

"Pretty much," Youngbae curled his fingers around his dreads, "some of us work harder than others."

"Whose the strongest?"

"Me," Youngbae and Daesung gave each other a look that I could only describe as trouble.

Why do I always cause a problem?

"Yay, like you're stronger than me," Daesung voice was starting to get higher, telling me that he was slowly becoming competitive.

"You know forget I asked."

"I know I'm stronger than you," Youngbae stood to look up at Daesung, " no doubts about it."

"Or don't listen that's fine," Jiyong laughed at me, patting a place beside him I sat down and watched the two men in front of me.

"Fine arm wrestle right now!" Daesung rolled up his sleeves.

"Okay, but don't cry when you lose," Youngbae rubbed at the pad of his hand warming up the skin for the impending battle.

"Are we going to play this game or what? I'm not going to keep counting if no one is going to hide," Seungri chimed in from behind the porch.

"Who even told you to start?" Jiyong questioned.

"That's how the game is played right?"

"I think I'm getting a headache," I started rubbing at my temples.

"Here let me," Jiyong went for my temples, Seunghyun stepping up to interfere with his own strong fingertips.

"How does that feel?"

"Hey, I was going to do that."

"You were," Seunghyun laughed, running soothing circles into my head.

"Let me do it Hyung!" Jiyong stood up in frustration.

Is it just me or is my headache getting worse?

"I'll do it myself, thanks," moving away from the two men I went over to the now red faced Youngbae and Daesung, whom had played nearly three times by this point.

"Best two out of three," Daesung barked.

"Why so you can lose again?" Youngbae spat out as he leaned heavily into his own arm. Daesung took the weight in stride and began pressing back against his older friends hand.

"That's it! I'm done with this stupid game, you can find yourself another seeker!" Seungri marched up the stairs.

"You can't just quit," Seunghyun stopped Seungri at the door.

"Why? No ones playing anyway," Seungri brushed Seunghyun off his shoulders.

"Hey Seungri you lost. You're it," Jiyong reasoned with the youngest member.

"I'm going to go hide now. See Seungri I'm going," he was ignoring me. In fact, they all were ignoring me and I suddenly felt very at easy. "I'm gonna go skinny dip in the lake now, anyone want to join?...No, it's probably to cold for it. How about wrestling? Tongue hockey? I jerked Dr. L in his study the other day, had to get that one off my chest."

"You did what?" Jiyong turned to look at me, the others not far behind him as they stared in rage at what I'd said.

"Oh that one you heard. I was only joking..come on lets play before I have to take my test," I motioned for them to come.

"You better be joking username " Jiyong warn

Please log in to read the full chapter