The Facility

It's Hard for Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

This has got to be some cruel joke.

I mean really one torched shed and suddenly I'm enemy #1. It's not like I meant to cause a fire, well, at least one that resulted in arson. I was just bored; doing all I could to keep from going insane at my grandparents quiet farm house in the countryside. I'd been sent there with the hopes of, what my mother liked to call, spirit taming. Most in my family would call me a wild soul, kin only to the wind and everlasting freedom. I had been a handful since I could walk, and once I started talking I became unstoppable, free to do as I pleased. My therapist had warned my mother that such unwieldy energy would lead to troublesome adulthood, and if she didn't get it in check now, while I was still manageable, both she and I would be sorry for it.

And without so much as a consultation my mother began project correction. She started off reasonably controlled using the typical reward and punishment method of parenting. When she realized I couldn't care less what she gave or took away she enhanced her efforts taking everything she could think until she was left with food being the only thing I had privilege to, and since its illegal to starve your children she had no choice but to ship me off to my grandparents. Her hopes, as I assume them to be, were to keep me as far away from possible trouble as she could manage; though part of me believed that maybe she had done so in order to get a break, take a mini vacation from her hell raising daughter. Shame it didn't last for very long, I'd only been with my grandparents for a week before I found myself desperately trying to extinguish my grandmother's garden shed. The likes of which resembled that of a decorative birthday candle a top a farm themed cake. I used that very line to try and defuse my grandmothers mounting anger but it had only earned me a one-way ticket home to my infuriated mother who seemed to be at her wits end.

"That's it. I wasn't going to resort to this because it seemed to extreme, but Dr. Lacava assures me this place does wonders for misguided young adults, and frankly ___ you've given me no choice," my mother wiped at her wrinkled brow. "You're twenty-two years old now and show little signs of maturing. You have no ambition and your behavior boarders on childish fanatics. I love you darling, can't you see that?"

What a load of .

  In all the years I'd grown with this woman she had spent more time attacking like a child than I did. She had fallen madly in puppy sick love with over five different men since my Bio-Dad (biological father) up and left us; all of which had bad attitudes and an ego complex that made them abusive s. There hadn't been one good quality to any of them, not one saving grace for any of the men that barged into our lives. The last one, Henry, had been so disgusting that he had actually tried to bribe me into having with him. As if I'd ever lower my standards to such depths. To my mothers credit she did kick him out when I told her, at least my honesty was a valued commodity to her.  A lot of good it did me now. Now that I was miles away from anything or anyone I'd ever known.

I tried rubbing my eyes, as if the sudden blurring of my vision would make the old Victorian looking house would disappear right before my eyes. Sadly, I was mistaken and the rather large structure still loomed over me like an obvious omen of suffering to come.

This had to be a joke.

"Ouch!" I grumbled.

Alright. So pinching myself wasn't going to work either.

This hell was real and by the looks of it the beautiful deceptive outside was hiding something far more gruesome inside. Taking a studied look at the home I noted the white panels and matching white pillared wrap around porch. The shutters of the four windows visible were painted a sky blue and the lawn was so properly kept that it made me want to take a shovel to every strip of bare lawn I could find.

This place is a D

Please log in to read the full chapter