Is He For Real?

A New Love Can Heal An Old One [REVISING]

A/N: I feel like towards the end of this chapter I changed the tone to a more serious one. But I think it's better, it gives it a more realistic and dramatic feeling to it. Comment to tell me how you guys like it! When I receive no comments I feel like it's bad, so I want to know how I can improve. 고마워요~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hello?” Soo Rim answered her cell.

 

“Dude where are you?” Shinhye asked frantically. She just made it back to her apartment but decided not to go in until she knew her friend was home safe.

 

“I’m home,” Soo Rim answered casually. “How about you? You with your new boyfriend?” Her friend giggled over the phone.

 

Shinhye restrained herself from yelling like a madwoman so early in public. “What exactly happened last night?”

 

“You lived Shinhye, that’s what happened. And really that’s all that mattered,” she laughed expecting her to explode.

 

Soo Rim calmed her down. She told her that from what she saw, Yonghwa was a good guy. She left the party early with Dae Jung, the friend she made and trusted Shinhye would be fine on her own. Although, Soo Rim really hoped Shinhye had found something.

 

Shinhye braced herself for any type of punishment about to come her way. She turned her key in the apartment’s door and opened it carefully avoiding any loud creaks to sound. But that did nothing.

"You're home late," her mom drank her morning coffee then put her newspaper down. She sat in the living room with her legs crossed emitting authority. “Really late.”

"MOM I’M SO SORRY! I shouldn't have gone to that party!" ShinHye took her disappearance incredibly seriously that she fell on her knees with her nose touching the floor. She never startled her mother this much before.

"Honey don't be like that," her mom lifted her up by her arms.

"You're not mad?" Shinhye asked tearing up. It was probably from the possibility that she lost her ity last night. No way. That couldn’t have happened, she thought.

"Of course not! I'm glad my daughter had fun for once in her life! I was afraid you'll grow old as a single teacher who still lived with her parents!" Her mom actually laughed wiping away her daughter’s tears. "Stop crying now, you're not in trouble. Unless you had too much fun." She pulled away giving a threatening look to her.

"It wasn’t fun at all mom,” she frowned. “I just sat down all night talking to some weirdo.”

"Who was it? Was he cute, nice, smart?" She questioned excitedly. There she goes again, expecting the weirdo was automatically a guy. Shinhye refrained from rolling her eyes.

"I’m going to bed mom. I’m tired," she yawned.

"Okay honey. Rest off your hangover," she caressed the top of her daughter’s head.

"You know I drank?" Shinhye asked then bit her lip in guilt.

"Honey I could smell your breath before you came in!" Her mom smiled as she walked Shinhye over to her bedroom. Her mother served her soup in bed a few hours later.

"Thank you mom," she smiled grateful.

"Now you want to tell me all about that guy you met?" Her tone held much anxiousness. She pushed her daughter’s hair back for her to drink her soup more comfortably.

"Mom it’s not a big deal," ShinHye lifted the bowl to her lips.

"Come on! Just tell me his name, his looks and his personality! What did you guys talk about?” She didn't seem to budge.

Shinhye groaned in annoyance and gave in, “fine but I’m only telling you what I remember.” Her mom nodded in agreement. “He had short black hair and he’s the one who offered me the drink but I guess it was my fault for not expecting alcohol at this party." Bits of last night were returning to her, enough for her to recall what they talked about. But she didn’t mention it to her mom, because she herself didn’t want to talk about the past in the moment. "He has muscles," she blurted out imagining his shirtless torso from early morning.

"Oh?" Her mom smiled then asked teasingly, “did you feel them?”

"MOM!" Shinhye blushed.

"Sorry! Go on," her mom laughed.

“There’s nothing more. It’s not like I’m going to see him again,” Shinhye finished her bowl of soup.

"Well you never know,” her mom took her bowl and was about to leave her room. “The world can be pretty funny.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday Lunch Break :)

"Shinhye!" Soo Rim greeted her by their lockers.

Shinhye punched her friend’s arm still not forgiving her for Friday. “That’s for basically ditching me at that party,” she scolded.

"Ow,” she groaned. “But I told you that Dae Jung and I went somewhere else. It was too loud there. And besides you were doing fine with his friend,” she smirked.

So she knows exactly what happened?

"Why? What did we do?" She tugged on her friend’s arm.

"Calm down, you didn't have or anything!" Her friend yells. ShinHye covers her big mouth waving to classmates nervously. Soo Rim ripped her hand off. "All you did was talk," she assured her. "And MAKEOUT!" Shinhye’s eyes grew the size of saucers. Her lips felt the familiar touch thinking it was a mere kiss. She didn’t expect it to be a full blown makeout. In that moment she felt it were right to just faint and let her head crack on the hallway’s floor there and then. It’s on school grounds. They’d have to compensate me or something right? Her body swayed to hit her back against the lockers, she wouldn’t actually allow herself to faint in front of her judging classmates.

But a certain someone took it as if she was fainting. He held onto her shoulders from behind before they’d touch the lockers. She turned her head and looked up.

"Hey there," he smiled.

She backed away from him in shock. The world can be pretty funny indeed. "You again!" She points at him. "What are you doing here?"

"I go here now," he continued with a devilish smile.

Soo Rim smiled at the reunion and waved at them, “I’ll let you two catch up then.”

"No! Stay here with me!" ShinHye begged holding onto her arm.

Soo Rim took her hand off and said, “no way! If your guy’s here then so’s mine." She skipped away merrily wishing her friend good luck.

“He’s not my guy,” Shinhye pouted watching her friend disappear.

Not yet, Yonghwa thought. “I’m really hungry. Where’s the cafeteria?” Shinhye being the pushover she was, sighed and led the way. They both got their plates filled with today’s special: yuck, yuck and chocolate or white milk.

They sat opposite of each other. Shinhye quietly ate her meal and felt Yonghwa staring her down. “So do you remember what happened that night?” She asked hoping to clear the tension between them.

"Yup,” he answered quickly. “Don’t you? I mean it’s something I’d never want to forget.” Like a tiger, he played with his food. His food being another girl’s heart.

She gulped, “I remember us talking and uh.. the rest is blurry.”

“That’s too bad, because you were really good,” he kicked back in his seat resting his arms behind his head. “It couldn’t have been your first time right?” Shinhye nearly spit out the milk she was drinking.

We couldn’t have. I was clothed. “Talking is my speciality,” she stuffed with more food.

“Oh I’m not talking about talking,” he smirked watching her reaction. “The way you angled yourself was so-”

“WHAT?!” She stood up abruptly. Some students glanced at her, surprised to see the school’s nerd was sitting with a guy. She cleared and sat back down in her seat. Her eyes were on her food in embarrassment. Yonghwa’s laughter snapped her out of her thoughts.

“You’re so innocent,” he wiped the tears at the corner of his eyes. “But you really don’t remember other than us talking?”

“Hey I remember your name! Jung Yonghwa,” she defended.

“Yeah you’ll definitely won’t forget it either because I’ll be the most popular guy in this school,” he promised.

“You’re pretty confident about yourself,” she poked at her food a bit envious. “I don’t know what you’d do to achieve that.”

He leaned in much closer as though sharing a secret. She stayed still doing her best to remain unfazed. “I may not be popular with the guys but guaranteed the girls,” he whispered. Shinhye raised an eyebrow at his statement. “Including you.”

She thought about it and scoffed at him. “Are you for real? You’re out of your mind,” she crossed her arms.

“Don’t believe me? Back at that party, you could have asked any girl there about me and they’d know who I was,” he bragged.

“Hot, charismatic, a good guy,” he listed. She thought back to when she called him that at the party, now regretting her sincerity. “I am often described like this by every girl that crosses me.”

“I don’t suppose you’re used to big-headed player?” She snapped.

“Nah I am,” he shrugged. “Probably because I break all of their hearts after I’m through with them.”

Shinhye no longer liked the lingering touch she felt on her lips whenever she thought back to that night. She wasn’t able to admit it before, even to herself, but most certainly now. “You know, we’re not toys. We’re not objects you play with and get easily thrown away once you’re bored.”

He raised his hands in defense, “it’s not like I love hurting people. Look if you saw it my way, you’d do it too.”

“Please enlighten me,” she deadpanned.

“You said it yourself, that love is a waste of time. I agree with you,” he held her attention. “We’re young so we might as well have some fun right? This way, no one gets hurt.”

“Someone always falls Yonghwa. No matter what kind of relationship you’re playing around with, someone will get hurt.” She stated.

“Not you since you understand,” he started. “Why don’t you give it a try?” He reached for her hand but she pulled it back in disgust.

No girl resisted his charms before. Maybe he underestimated the innocent nerd.

“Don’t talk to me again,” she stood up ready to leave.

Before she took her first step, he spoke, “we both had our hearts broken. Don’t think you’re better than me because I’m healing differently than you.”

“No Yonghwa,” she sighed. “None of us are healing at all.”