Surprises Part 1

A New Love Can Heal An Old One [REVISING]

Third Person POV

"Not only is your date here but he sure is handsome," her mother shook her shoulders. Shinhye sat up on her bed, tired, but shocked to have woken up to Saturday morning already. "Brush your teeth, comb your hair and change! You don't want to keep your friend waiting, your father might scare him away." 

Maybe that's what I want, Shinhye thought. 

Being the obedient daughter she was, she dragged herself to the bathroom and cleaned up. After changing into a plain black T-shirt and dark blue skinny jeans she entered her living room. There she watched Yonghwa and her father shake hands, both with pleased expressions after an exchange of words. "You," she grumbled. 

"Now come on Shinhye this nice boy is here to take you out," her father gestured to said 'nice' boy. 

"I don't know what he told you dad but he's not a nice boy," she glared at Yonghwa while he kept up an innocent smile in the midst of her parents. "In fact, how could you allow him into our home? He's tainting our very floors." 

"Shinhye," her mother spoke. "Do not be rude to our guest, I didn't raise you to behave like that."

"It's fine. I deserve it after the way I've treated your daughter up to now," Yonghwa bowed to the adults. "But I promise to treat her with respect today and onwards. With your permission I'd like to take her out." 

Dream or reality, the surprises didn't end for Shinhye. Was dream Yonghwa becoming a reality? 

"Of course you can. Shinhye did mention this being just a practice date yesterday," her mother nodded. 

"Is that what the youngsters are into nowadays? Why don't you just date her already? She's too cooped up in her room everyday," her father suggested. Shinhye's jaw dropped and continued doing so as her mom agreed.

"She only goes out to the school or library. Please add more excitement to my daughter's life Yonghwa," Mrs. Park pleaded. 

"Laying it a little thick there mom," Shinhye huffed. "I do go out with Soo Rim sometimes." 

"Hardly," her father coughed into his arm. She shot him a look instantly but let it go. 

"Well you two should be on your way now. Make most of the day!" Her mother literally shoved her daughter's back out the door. Yonghwa followed behind not forgetting to shake her father's hand one last time. Just as he was about to loosen his grip, her father tightened it and leaned a bit closer to him. 

"Shinhye is my only daughter and I won't hesitate to make you pay if you ever hurt her," Mr. Park pulled back and flashed a warm smile. "Just a warning young man." 

Yonghwa silently gulped and nodded vigorously. "I won't bring her home late," he promised. 

"Stop scaring him," her mother slapped her husband's arm lightly and waved to Yonghwa. "Have fun." Yonghwa nodded while Shinhye leaned against his car irritated. 

"Not too much fun," Mr. Park added. 

They were on the road now and Shinhye thought back to her dream. It was too sweet to forget a moment and sitting in his car now only made her relive it in her head. "So what's up wifey?" She turned her head to him warily. "Your parents are really cool. I think they might like me." 

She scoffed, "they like everybody they meet. They're too trusting." Yonghwa chuckled at her response noting the trait she didn't get from her folks. "Where are we going?" 

"Anywhere you want," he answered. She stiffened, that's what he said in my dream. "Anywhere but home alright." This isn't happening, she thought. 

So she tested it out, "you choose since you're my 'teacher' here I guess."

"Mall it is then," he grinned. "You can learn a lot about dating there." Thank goodness it's not the park, she let out a relieved sigh. "Someone slept on the right side of the bed last night," he said from her reaction. 

Shinhye became cautious, so far Yonghwa had acted the way he did in her dream. Maybe I've improved my knowledge so much to the point I've become psychic? No Shinhye don't be ridiculous! 

"You don't happen to have a picnic prepared do you?" She asked.

"No way that would take so much effort and I don't even do that for the girls I actually date," he replied. "Did you want a picnic?" 

She shook her head and stayed silent for the rest of the ride. He turned the radio on humming along to Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud. 

You're just overthinking it Shinhye. Calm down, she thought. 

The two sat in a McDonald's inside the mall's food court. "Is this your favorite fast food restaurant?" He asked. "We could be having a real meal like udon." 

"This is the cheapest place here so shut it," she defended. 

"Two double cheeseburgers no ketchup, two extra large sodas and two medium fries!" A worker announced their exact order. Yonghwa was about to stand until Shinhye beated him to it. 

"Sit. I'm getting it," she ordered. She didn't want to be waited on and he didn't mind it. Gestures like pushing in a girl's chair or opening her door were sweet but they weren't her style. If it were simple actions like these that she could do on her own, then she would do it on her own. 

Yonghwa wanted to begin coaching her about dating but was drawn to the amount of fries she stuffed in . Her double cheeseburger was devoured in seven bites or maybe even less. Her soda was already half emptied after her last sip. 

Buuuuuuurrp. After a satisfying meal, Shinhye couldn't help but belch. She dabbed with her napkin in case she ate sloppily, when done she looked as though she didn't even begin her meal. Yonghwa was barely through with his food. "Damn you're a pig," he stated. 

"Like I care what you think of me," she sat back comfortably in her seat. Her eyes were raking his moutain of fries and he pushed it closer to her. "Thanks." She picked at the potato sticks. 

"Well now I see why you're very much available," he finished his burger. 

"," she muttered sipping her drink again. 

He sighed, "alright see that couple over there?" She followed where he pointed and saw a couple sitting beside each other. "That's a good sign when a guy decides to sit next to his girl. He wants to be closer than necessary."

"OR he wants to her leg," she pointed out under the couple's table.

"Even better," Yonghwa said.

"Even ier," Shinhye stated.

"Physical attraction is important," he said.

"So is emotional. You don't want to be with someone you can't talk to," she defended. "What about that couple over there?" She looked over his shoulder to a couple sitting two tables behind theirs.

The couple faced each other and were engaged in a light-hearted conversation. Both were laughing and overall enjoying each other's company. "Honeymoon couple," Yonghwa labeled.

"Excuse me?" Shinhye questioned.

"They're in that honeymoon phase where they're so into each other that I'm sure no one else exists around them right now," he explained. "It can trick people into thinking they're in love when that may not be the case."

"Are you implying they just got together then?"

"Yup," he wiped his hands on a napkin. His scanned for another couple. "Oh and there's the married couple," he pointed. "They're so used to each other that no words need to be exchanged when one needs something from the other." 

"They look like they're mad at each other," Shinhye observed. "I think they're arguing and now they look like they're ignoring each other."

"They love each other," Yonghwa assured. "Watch." The couple got up from their table after clearing out their food and bags. The man's arm wrapped around his woman's shoulders and her arm around his waist. Her head tilted, resting on his shoulder as they walked out of the food court. The man kissed the top of the woman's head. "See."

"I want that," Shinhye thought aloud. "Why don't I have that?"

"You will," Yonghwa said. "That's why I'm here."

Shinhye understood but she didn't catch the possible double meaning of his words. "Oh I know that couple," she found another. "The guy is obviously not into her."

Yonghwa followed her sight and felt his heart skip a beat. It was his first love and his heartbreaker: Leeyoung. "A-And how do you know that?" He asked.

"He's checking his phone way too much as she talks to him," she said. Shinhye continued to watch the couple and although she could only see the back of the boy's head, he was too familiar. Her eyes moved from him and onto the girl. "She's not paying attention when he talks either."

"Yeah," Yonghwa stared at Leeyoung, his emotions conflicted. He never forgave her for wronging him but she was still his first love. Her intense hazel eyes still plucked his heartstrings as she sat a short distance from him. If he were to lose himself in her gaze, his hatred for her may melt away. "Shinhye are you done eating? If you're still hungry, I'll buy you ice cream somewhere else." 

"Why elsewhere? A cone is only a dollar here," she said. 

"Don't think about the damn price and just follow me," he snapped. Yonghwa stood up and grabbed her wrist to force her out of her seat. She nearly stumbled behind due to his rough pull but she managed to keep balance. 

"We didn't even put our tray with the others," she pulled her wrist out of his hand to walk back to their table. When she finished pushing in their chairs properly, Yonghwa stood beside her with his hand around her wrist again. "Why are you in such a rus..?" Her question faltered when Daehyun and his girlfriend stood in front of them. 

"Shinhye," Daehyun smiled at her.  no, she thought.

"Yonghwa," Leeyoung greeted her ex. , Yonghwa thought. 


A/N: I hope I built this well enough! The chapter would have been much longer if it wasn't 4 a.m. I seem to have my creativity stirring when it's hella late or 3 a.m. Idk why... I'm definitely making this revision longer than the original because I know there's more that could happen. ^^ Hope you guys liked this update and comment~