Mm hmm

A New Love Can Heal An Old One [REVISING]

Third POV

He hooked an arm under her legs and wrapped the other around her shoulders. She was surprisingly light considering all the food he watched her devour every time they ate together. Her head rested against his bicep and her fingers curled around the ends of his jacket sleeves she still wore. They were just one block away from her apartment and his car.

A cool breeze blew through the two and Shinhye shivered. She turned to the nearest warmth, being Yonghwa and clinged onto his shirt. He could feel her slow breaths on his skin through the material and he stiffened. He didn't want to disturb her peaceful state, it was a rare sight to see her so relaxed. There were times she dozed off in his car before, but this was different. Now she was in his arms. She was the one sleeping but it felt like he was the one who was dreaming. 

Sure it wasn't the actual word yes. But an mmhmm is definitely an agreement. 

He watched where he walked but took several or a whole lot of glances at Shinhye's calm demeanor. Her face was illuminated by the streetlamp they were passing and she glowed in his eyes. Her apartment was visible now and he couldn't help but feel slighty disappointed because he had to go home soon. Disappointment was replaced by jealousy when he looked up at her balcony. An image of Daehyun embracing her from behind flashed through his head and he accidentally tensed his fingers. It didn't bother Shinhye much but she did hold onto him tighter. As she did, he looked down at her listening to her weak voice humming mmhmm in his head. 

Any negative thought or feeling washed away quickly after that. 

He prepared his explanation to Shinhye's mother in his head as he climbed up the steps. But it wasn't necessary. "Just tuck her in. Her room is down the hallway last door on the left," she said with a yawn. He nodded and did as he was told. 

Shinhye slowly smiled once in the comfort of her bed. Yonghwa's lips mimicked hers as he watched her literally have sweet dreams. We're real now. He lowered his lips to her forehead lightly and pulled away quickly not wanting to wake her. He turned off her bedside lamp and left her apartment.

He bowed to her mother at their entrance door before leaving. "Love triangle?" Her mom asked.

His mouth opened slowly not sure if he should agree or not because the idea of being part of a 'love triangle' sounded ridiculous to him. Then again, it's exactly what it was. "Basically," he shrugged then bowed once more. "With your permission I'd like to date your daughter. I know it was overly dramatic when I practically dragged your daughter out of her home earlier but everything is fine between us now. I even have her consent." 

She yawned then nodded her head tiredly resembling her own daughter dozing off. "I do like you more than the other guy who showed up," she admitted. "But ask me again when I'm not close to passing out. And with her father.

"Yes. I'll do just that," he agreed. "Good night Mrs. Park." 

"Drive safely," she waved at him. She closed the door and the second he heard the lock secured he punched the air in front of him switching from hand to hand. He shared a silent celebration with himself over the fact Shinhye agreed to being real. Of course, not everything was official just yet for he still needed to ask her parents for their permission as soon as possible. But Shinhye's consent alone flew him to the moon. So then he danced under it on his way to his car. 

---

Shinhye went through her daily routine. She freshened up, ate breakfast and walked onto campus like she did everyday. But everything was different. The sky looked to be a lighter shade of blue, the sun shined brighter but not too blinding to the eyes and even the slightest breeze made her skin prickle with goosebumps. She was different. Or at least she was behaving differently. 

She stood too long in front of her full body lengthed mirror this morning. Her hands shifted through her closet and normally she would have worn anything. Her appearance wasn't her top priority, what she learned in class was. But this time she actually cared about the way she dressed. Her final result after trying five different outfits was a gold skirt, a white blouse tucked into it and her white flats. 

                                   (I changed her heels to flats to match her character more)

"I love your outfit today," her mother complimented when Shinhye entered the dining room. "I'm pretty sure it's not your birthday or Soo Rim's. So what's the occasion?" 

Shinhye practically wolfed down her waffles as though trying to swallow down her nervousness. "No occasion," she answered in mid swallow. 

Her mother shook her head, "don't talk with your mouth full like that. I can see all the slimy chunks, it's not a pretty picture honey." She shut and swallowed. I gotta stop eating like a pig, if I don't want to gross out- 

"Honey stop murdering your food," her mother pulled her out of her thoughts. Shinhye's fork had twisted through her waffles messily and she gulped. "Do you have a presentation? Is that why you're on the edge?" Her mother acted well. She knew the reason behind her daughter's behavior and it had to do with what happened between her and Yonghwa. But seeing how jumpy Shinhye was now, she didn't want to pry into her life. So she feigned ignorance and smiled peacefully at her daughter. "Whatever it is, you'll be fine." 

Shinhye nodded, "mmhmm." She nearly choked the second she hummed her answer because she relived last night replying to Yonghwa in the same tone. Since she wasn't use to chewing with closed all the time, she covered with her hand and swallowed her last bite. She finished her drink in one go and announced, "I'm going now! S-See you later!" She rushed out the door. 

Mrs.Park chuckled, "that boy better ask us quick." She picked up her cell phone and dialed her husband's office. "Be home on time tonight." 

"Why? Are you cooking my favorite?" He asked. She clicked her tongue while he laughed on the other end. "Are there guests coming over?" 

"There will be one guest and he'll be asking us something. I'm already fine with it and you will also answer yes," she ordered. "And no objections because I said so." 

"Anything for you honey," he replied sarcastically. "Do I at least get to know the details of this?" 

"Just know this will make your daughter happy," she replied with great content.

"Then that's all I need to know then," he accepted whole heartedly. 

---

Heads turned at the school's labeled nerd. It wasn't the first time Shinhye wore a skirt but her usual attire included wearing an oversized shirt over it. Now that she wore a blouse tucked in, her curves were shown. Bluntly speaking, she looked hot. It was high school. Fashion mattered because it was considered a visual of who a student was. Their personality was believed to be expressed through their appearance and Shinhye's was very closed off. Until today. 

It was contradicting because her bright colors made her look approachable however simultaneously her new style could be perceived as intimidating. The nervous look on her face confused a few peers. Someone dressed as confident as her didn't look as confident before her transformation. She made it to her lockers ignoring all the whispers and eyes focused on her. Her nerves were focused on one guy alone. Who just so happened to be nearing as he walked down the hallway. 

Shinhye was organizing the stack of books in her locker when she was met with company of one of her classmates. He leaned on the locker besides hers with his arms crossed. He wore an impressed grin as his eyes scanned her body up and down. "Someone's finally reading the beauty books in the library," he stated. She rolled her eyes and continued to get her needed materials for the day. "You look different Shinhye, a hot different." 

She glanced at him then returned her attention into her locker when replying, "I'm not 'helping out' with another paper or project when obviously I end up doing your whole assignment Jungshin." 

"I'm not here for that," he said. She crossed her arms in disbelief and narrowed her eyes.

"Why else would you be here?" She asked. He took her question as an opening and stepped forward until they were too close for comfort. Her back was pressed against her now closed locker and he rested his arm above her head while leaning his face closer to hers. "What do you think you're doing?" 

"Hopefully you," he admitted shamelessly. "Especially now that I see what you can offer." The entire time he spoke his eyes roamed over her body especially her chest, not once did he look into her eyes. 

"You're a pig and an idiot," she insulted though her voice faltered seeing his other hand reach out to her waist. "You have bad memory too." 

"Does that matter?" He asked itching to taste her lips that were so close.

"Yes because you seem to have forgotten I have a boyfriend who looks really pissed off behind you," she warned. Jungshin turned around only to be greeted by Yonghwa's fist. Instead of falling to her knees in concern for the victim of Yonghwa's jealousy like yesterday, she cheered on this time. "I suggest you leave me alone and while you're at it leave the rest of the female population alone too. At least until you stop acting like a stupid creep." 

"Don't come near my girl again," Yonghwa warned pulling Shinhye to his side. 

Jungshin wiped his lips with the back of his hand finding a dab of blood on his skin. "Fine keep your nerdy , probably boring in bed like her personality," he spat out. Students gathered around the three in anticipation of a fight. They were used to seeing Jungshin in trouble but it was their first time seeing Yonghwa in this situation. The most shocking was Shinhye's change in appearance and how two guys actually seemed to be fighting over her. Though still shocked at the fact she was dating the school's player. 

Yonghwa dug his nails into his palms ready to teach Jungshin a lesson until he felt a tug at his arm. He wasn't thinking about his consequences of getting into a fight. He was kicked out of schools before due to a variety of rebellions. At first he thought it didn't matter, because it wasn't anything new to him until that tug on his arm served as a reminder why he was raging in the first place. He couldn't leave this school, not when she's here. He couldn't leave her. 

So he allowed Shinhye to drag him out of the hallways through the crowds of students and into an open area. They listened to Jungshin's claims of their cowardice silently as they left. Once outside she sat on a bench and watched Yonghwa pace back and forth. He still felt like hitting something so he punched the bench resulting in him holding his fist in pain. "Agh !" He shouted. 

Shinhye let out a soft giggle when Yonghwa accidentally hurt his hand. "What, you think this is funny?! He called you a Shinhye, it's not funny!" His voice was thick with anger. "I'm going to make that bastard pay for pressing himself on you like that. For trying to you in front of me-" 

Shinhye laughed loudly this time and shook her head. "He wasn't trying to me! He was telling me he wanted to me," she clarified. 

"That doesn't make it any better!" He exclaimed. "If I was a murderer without any soul or heart, I'd rip his head off and then cook it and then-" Shinhye interrupted his rant when she stood up from the bench to kiss his cheek. 

"If you didn't have a heart then you wouldn't be with me," she pointed out. He froze and stared at her definitely not expecting her boldness. "You called me your girl back there and I really liked it." She looked down to the ground then back up at his eyes flashing him a sweet smile. 

"Uh... um.. so... you did?" He suddenly had a difficult time forming a clear sentence. 

"Mmhmm," she hummed with a bright tone. Yonghwa's heart rate fastened hearing his new favorite word. He wasn't sure if it was even considered a word but he didn't care. It was also only his favorite whenever Shinhye answered him in this way. In order to hear his favorite word he asked more questions. 

"Do you remember what I asked you last night?" He asked. She continued to smile as he stood closer in front of her. 

She nodded humming, "mmhmm," again. He could swore it was music to his ears. "I was quite nervous today because of it actually. But after having that little event with Jungshin, my nerves are shaken away. I feel happy. No I'm really happy," she locked eyes with him. "You came to my rescue like Inuyasha would have with Kagome. Except you didn't kill the guy." 

Yonghwa chuckled, "well I'm not some half demon with anger issues." 

"That you are not," she agreed. "But jealousy issues for sure." 

"Can I ask you more questions?" He asked. She gladly played along humming the same answer. "Just to be clear, we can be real?" 

"Mmhmm," her smile extended showing off her teeth as he stood incredibly close now. Their proximity matched Jungshin's advance on her but this had no uncomfortable tension. This tension was just right. Their warmth mixed with each others and they felt extremely cozy. "As long as there are no lies between us?" She asked.

"Mmhmm," he answered cupping her face. He lifted her chin and their mouths were a breath apart. "And you will wear your skirts like this more often?" She chuckled softly and slapped his stomach lightly. "Ok I'm joking but I have one more question." 

"This better not be about my outfit," she said. 

"Can I kiss you?" He whispered impatiently seeing her lips close to his. 

Her eyes were coming to a close and he closed the gap barely letting her finish humming, "mmhmm." 


A/N: I hope you guys liked that! ^^ I added in Jungshin as a quick side character lol. It's only for this chapter though, so don't expect him to show up again. I also hope to update sometime soon again but I'll be flying to Korea in like 3 days now so I'm also busy packing! Look forward to the next update because I always love reading kisses in fanfics so I'll try to be detailed in this one~