Supplement

MAYday!

supplement
noun
something that completes or enhances something else when added to it.

{Minho gives a toast to the bride.} | 1197w

A/N: Yeah, this one's for yesterday. Sorry for my timing again orz. And sorry for this..

 


 

Jonghyun had finished his short – and somewhat embarrassing – speech with a near-accident. It was clear that he’d already had a bit to drink when he’d let his champagne flute tip over so far Kibum had to straighten his wrist to save the alabaster table linen.

 

Kibum didn’t hide his minor irritation when he tugged the bottom of his best friend’s gray suit jacket to make him sit down. “Okay, Jonghyun, you’re done,” he whispered firmly. “You’re not gonna ruin anything tonight.”

 

Jonghyun simply beamed at the main couple who sat underneath the wide wisteria-covered arch at the front of the floral-themed reception hall. They sent him appreciative smiles as all the guests applauded his words, a hint of relief on the groom’s part, obvious to anyone who was watching closely enough.

 

“You hear me?”

 

The elder nodded as he carefully set his glass on the table. “I promise this will be the last,” he said in a low voice.

 

Eunsook and Minho exchanged a look, eyebrows revealing their slight uncertainty.

 

“Nice job, sweetie,” the eldest whispered, head just hovering over the tabletop. “Probably should’ve stuck to the script, but it was short and sweet.”

 

“Yeah, like Mr. Kim himself,” Kibum muttered. “Who’s next?”

 

The couple verbally expressed their thanks using a microphone and were looking for anyone who might want to supplement the last toast. The groom was trying to coax some of his friends to speak up, garnering some laughs here and there, but the bride was casting her sight across the room at her childhood friends.

 

Minho shifted in his seat. He wedged his index finger between the collar of his shirt and pulled it, trying to alleviate his discomfort from the rising temperature in the room. His palms were beginning to sweat, so he wiped them on the tablecloth that hung beside his legs, hoping no one would notice.

 

“Hey..” Eunsook placed a hand on his knee. “You okay?” Her eyebrows were knit with concern and she looked into Minho’s eyes as if the truth were written on them and all she had to do was read it.

 

Taking a deep steady breath, he nodded and assured her that he was fine.

 

She didn’t buy it. “You don’t have to.”

 

“Let him,” Jonghyun cut in. “He’ll beat himself up for the rest of his life if he doesn’t.”

 

Kibum gave Minho a small smile, his eyes sympathetic. He sighed. “What are you going to do?”

 

“He’s right.”

 

“That’s the spirit!” Jonghyun exclaimed under his alcohol-scented breath. He slapped the table several times, sending ripples across their sparkling wine and getting the attention of guests who sat nearby.

 

“I’m up,” he announced quietly.

 

“Minho..” Eunsook said, a warning laced in her worried tone.

 

Minho rose as calmly as he could manage, gripping the edge of the table, his heart in his throat and mind running a hundred miles per hour trying to sort the countless things he wanted to say. The confidence he’d built in the weeks of preparation – not anticipation – crumbled to nothing as he stood before hundreds of hopeful guests.

 

He finally looked up and met Taeyeon’s warm eyes, her eager expression softening instantly. He didn’t understand why she looked so relieved, but it gave him the courage to find his voice.

 

“I’d like to give a toast.”

 

“Minho.” Eunsook whispered so softly he was the only one to hear it.

 

He placed his hand flat on the table in front of her, communicating that she should stop.

 

Eunsook sat back in her chair, pursed her lips, and nervously played with her silver charm bracelet.

 

Jongin turned in their direction. “Oh, look. See guys, it’s not so hard.” People chuckled at the group of groomsmen who’d been called out.

 

He lifted his hand as he presented him as the next speaker. “A toast from a friend of the bride, Minho.” Jongin smiled curtly and sat down and Taeyeon inched toward the table in front of her, fingers fidgeting with a napkin as she often did when she was antsy.

 

“Thank you, Jongin,” Minho started, bowing slightly with his head.

 

His eyes flitted around the room. He had everyone’s undivided attention.

 

“I… I can’t say enough how much of a surprise this still is to me, first of all. I know some people feel the same.” He chuckled, peering at his friends. “Taeyeon’s always been someone we watch over, you know? And now that she’s married… well, the gig is over.”

 

A collective laugh bubbled up throughout the hall.

 

"Since we won’t be around like we’re used to, I thought you,” he nodded towards the groom, “might need to know a few things.”

 

Minho cleared his throat and readjusted his grip on the table, stealing a glance at Taeyeon who was still busy with the napkin.

 

“You probably learned a lot about Taeyeon over the past two years, but there are some things I'll emphasize. To the untrained eye, she seems pretty serious, sometimes like she's too busy wrapped up in her own thoughts to take part in what's in front of her. And sure, she can be a bit guarded, but don't be afraid to be silly. Fool around, dance around carelessly with her and watch her laugh. Don't miss it; that's one of the times she looks best.

 

“Listen to her when she's merely mentioning something, saying something important, and singing. Especially singing. She'll wave you off if she catches you staring, but she really likes the attention.

 

“She often won't tell you if something's wrong. You'll have to pry it out of her sometimes, and it could be difficult, but don't give up.

 

“Make sure she knows you love her. Check up on her even when you know she's fine. Return her things to where they belong before she thinks they're lost. Try new crazy things with her, but make sure she doesn't run into trouble.

 

“And this might seem pretty obvious, but just be there for her. You've chosen the most wonderful person to spend the rest of your life with, so keep her close.

 

“I wish nothing but happiness for you and Taeyeon.”

 

As soon as he'd finished speaking, clapping and aww-ing filled the room. It was almost loud enough to drown Minho's deafening drumming heart.

 

He hadn't realized just how much his hands were shaking at the edge of the table. The linen was wrinkled between his fingers and Kibum had been throwing glances at the tall glasses that were being pulled along with it.

 

Jonghyun was wide-eyed and speechless for once.

 

Eunsook's cheeks and chest were flushed at the atmosphere that her friend had created. She knew the speech had seemed perfect and harmless to most, but they knew better. She reached over to Minho's cuff and pulled him onto his seat. She clenched her teeth when she saw his misty eyes, focused on something a million miles away.

 

“Keep it together,” Eunsook ordered under her breath.

 

Minho swallowed the knot in his throat. “Just tell me she's stopped picking at the napkin.”