Embody

MAYday!

embody
verb
be an expression of or give a tangible or visible form to (an idea, quality, feeling, or spirit).

{There's no place like home.} | 1006w

 


 

If he was annoying anyone with his incessant movement, he wouldn’t care. Minho was too wired and the only thing he could do to ease his nerves was bounce his knee like a jackhammer. He’d gone for walks, picked up magazines and newspapers to read, checked his phone almost enough to kill the battery, and even had a conversation with a kid who was also waiting for family to arrive.

 

Two hours had crawled by and any minute now he’d be getting a message from Taemin telling him that the plane had touched down on the tarmac.

 

That’s why Minho shot up from his seat when his phone vibrated in his hand. He frantically slid a thumb across the screen and read his latest message.

 

I’m here!! Look for me!

 

It’s all Minho needed to speed his way through the bustling terminal. With adrenaline taking over, he weaved through crowds effortlessly and got to the correct arrival gate in no time.

 

Dozens of people were already gathered a short distance from the double doors under the monitor that showed arrival times. Minho checked the list of city names painted in white against black for the flight from Los Angeles. ‘ON TIME.’ He shifted his weight from one foot to another and bit his bottom lip as he eyed the airport personnel who were in charge of opening those doors.

 

Seconds ticked away too slowly and every time the men in navy blue vests stepped toward the opening, Minho would get another surge of adrenaline that shot from his stomach to the tips of his toes, making him want to step forward. It was torturous to go through so many false alarms.

 

He sighed deeply in an attempt to relax and reminded himself to be patient. He’d endured nearly five weeks without Taemin, then the two hours, and now he just needed to wait a few more minutes.

 

But as it turned out, those additional minutes of waiting didn’t exist.

 

One of the men moved to finally open the entrance, making Minho’s heart leap to his throat. Moments later, the first of maybe hundreds of passengers came through the doors. Many marched straight to customs, while others scanned the welcoming crowd for familiar faces, but all seemed equally as tired. He couldn’t blame them; it was a long flight.

 

Minho wondered how Taemin might look. Would his dark hair be neat or messily hidden under one of his beanies? Perhaps he would be dressed in his comfiest clothes and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes? But maybe his eyes would be puffy and he’d be grumpy from the lack of sleep… If that were the case, he hoped Taemin would forget about his state and just be glad to be back so that he could welcome him warmly.

 

People continued to flow through the doorway and Minho was on overdrive trying to spot the only person who mattered to him.

 

It wasn’t long before a small hand in above the crowd caught his attention. Taemin had found him first and he was just glowing in comparison to everyone else, flashing that brilliant smile of his as he hurried forward.

 

The sight of him took Minho's breath away. He waved back excitedly, bouncing on the balls of his feet and not fully believing that he was right there. He started walking to the end of the rope that separated the welcoming parties from the passengers, thinking that Taemin had somehow gotten more stunning while he was away.

 

The two glanced at each other as much as they could while they stepped around the people in their way, feeling the smiles on their faces stretch wider and wider and their excitement bubbling up in their chests the closer they got to each other.

 

The black rope came to an end and Minho rounded the last pole. He ran to Taemin and embraced him the moment he was within reach, not bothering to say a word, for the gesture said it all. Taemin squeaked when he felt himself get lifted from the ground and then he hugged Minho back just as tightly.

 

They felt each other's chests expanding with every breath, laugh, and sigh of relief to be together once again. Their fast-beating hearts didn't go amiss either.

 

Minho lowered the younger to the floor but continued to hug him, not wanting to let go any time soon. Five weeks had been too long and having the love of his life back in his arms was all he wanted. It was all he needed in that moment to make up for every night he'd slept alone with his only comfort being Taemin's pillow and the promise of a quick return.

 

“I missed you,” Taemin said softly. His arms were wrapped around the elder's neck and his lips were just brushing his ear.

 

Minho's throat tightened at the sweetness of his tone. He had so much he wanted to say, but he couldn't trust himself to speak without his voice cracking. Instead, he held him closer and turned his head to plant a gentle kiss on his forehead.

 

“I love you.” Taemin loosened his hold to take the elder's face in his hands. “I love you so much.”

 

Minho was surprised to find that his pretty almond-shaped eyes were glassy as he said it. He blinked back his own tears and said, “I love you too.”

 

Taemin breathed out a laugh, making a tear trickle down over the apple of his cheek. He pulled Minho's face in for a kiss and they remained there, lips locked, minds at ease, and hearts content, with total disregard for the ongoing activity in the airport.

 

Finally, they pulled apart, satisfied with the affectionate greeting.

 

“Okay,” Taemin started, wiping his cheek with his sleeve and sniffling. “Let's go home.”

 

Minho dropped his hand to slide his fingers between the other's and nodded in agreement. He wanted nothing more than that, though with Taemin by his side, anywhere felt like home.