Eminent

MAYday!

eminent
adjective
(of a person) famous and respected within a particular sphere or profession.

{Taemin develops a crush on his brother's sports idol.} | 1210w

 


 

As soon as Taemin heard the even pace of his older brother's footsteps in the hallway, he snapped his head to the right, sending his dark hair over his eyes which darted across the room. Quickly flicking his hair back into place, he prepared to deliver the meanest glare he could muster.

 

Taesun appeared around the corner, wearing the same crooked smirk he always had when he knew he'd get his way. "Change the channel," he said, taking his time to enter the living room, clearly unaffected by Taemin's expression. If anything, he found it a cute attempt at a warning.

 

"No." Taemin picked up the remote and slipped it under his t-shirt. He was determined to finish watching the latest episode of his favorite anime, so having a cold piece of plastic pressed to his tummy was no issue.

 

A low chuckle erupted from the back of Taesun's throat. "Really, little brother? If you don't hand it over, I'll have to take it myself." He stepped in between Taemin and the television, completely blocking his view.

 

Taemin leaned to the left, then the right in an attempt to see around his brother, but it was useless. He his teeth after the third time his motion was mirrored. "Hyung, get out of the way," he pleaded. "Let me watch my show for once!"

 

"The game's about to start. Give it." Taesun moved forward and extended his arm, palm up, fingers outstretched.

 

The fifteen year-old boy clutched the remote through his graphic tee and looked at his brother with big dark puppy eyes. "Hyung, please!" he begged.

 

"Oh!" Taesun cried mockingly as he placed his hands over his chest, "you're breaking my heart!" Without warning, he then launched himself at Taemin, who shrieked at the surprise attack.

 

"Let me go!" he yelled, curling into a ball. He was wrapped around the remote like an armadillo and he was going to protect it with his life.

 

Taemin felt his brother give up on trying to pry it from his hands. That meant only one thing and he didn't like it one bit. "Hyung, no!" He shut his eyes and braced himself.

 

Taesun's lips curled as he dug the tips of his fingers along Taemin's ribs and tickled him mercilessly. The younger boy put up a good stand: screaming, kicking, and pressing himself to the couch for as long as he could, but his need to breathe cost him the remote.

 

"Thank you," Taesun said in a sing-song voice as he went over to the reclining sofa and plopped down on it. Within seconds, fight scene sound effects were replaced by the roar of multitudes of soccer fans who filled an impressive stadium on TV.

 

"You ," Taemin spat as he crawled to his spot on the couch and slumped down against a throw pillow.

 

Taesun ignored him, turned up the volume, and called for their dad.

 

A list of players with their respective jersey numbers from one team showed up on the screen and Taesun cheered when an announcer read off one of the names. "Dad, come quick! Choi's back!"

 

Taemin watched their dad excitedly shuffle into the room, barely buckling his belt and missing his socks.

 

"He must be fully recovered now."

 

"Yeah," Taesun replied, "they're definitely gonna win today!"

 

"Like one player makes a difference," Taemin muttered.

 

Taesun sharply turned his head to face Taemin. "You don't know a thing about-"

 

"Both of you calm down," their dad said, waving his hand, cutting an end to their squabble. "Your mom and I can't catch a break! Just watch the game or go do your homework."

 

Neither boy argued, knowing they were better off choosing the first option, but that didn't stop them from making faces at each other before settling down.

 

 

Minutes into the broadcast, Taesun sat up again, kicking his heels on the footrest in excitement as the camera panned along the home team.

 

Taemin stared at all the players, unimpressed, until the camera caught the final member who wore a yellow arm band over his royal blue uniform and stood next to the one who he recognized to be the goalie. The young boy blinked in surprise. He was lean, like everyone else, but taller than most of the team. He also had much softer features than the others, making Taemin wonder about his age. He thought the thin black headband he wore over his wavy brown hair gave him a boyish appearance too.

 

“He looks kinda nervous,” Taesun noted.

 

“Who wouldn't be after being out for so long?” their dad replied. “But if a doctor gave him the 'OK' to play, he must feel great. Bet the coach had to push him to train a lot harder before this though.”

 

Taesun hummed in agreement with furrowed eyebrows and focused back on the TV. Taemin quickly got lost in all the talk between the announcers about both team's strengths, weaknesses, and probable game tactics, and he wondered how his family found any of it interesting when there was such an... interesting player on the field. He wanted to know about him, not the game.

 

“Who are you talking about?” Taemin asked, genuinely clueless.

 

“Choi,” his brother answered straight away without looking at him, “he was injured weeks ago in a nasty collision with this other guy. That reckless...” He trailed off, finding it useless to continue since it was all said and done. Also because he didn't want to curse in front of their dad, lest he get lectured again.

 

“And who is he exactly?”

 

Taesun spun to face his little brother and gave him a long disappointed look. Their dad chuckled, amused, and sat back with his arms crossed to watch both the TV and his sons.

 

Choi Minho is the son of the coach,” he began, counting off each point on his fingers, “team captain, star player among the best in the country, all while being the youngest – he's twenty – to accomplish that. Oh, and he's a model, but that's whatever.” He waved dismissively as he turned back around.

 

A model. Taemin thought the player he'd seen was good-looking enough to be a model.

 

“Does the team captain wear a yellow thing on his arm?” Taemin asked, mostly to confirm his suspicion. He wouldn't have asked if he'd seen 'Choi' written across the player's back over the number 10, but the camera crew was doing a terrible job at following him on the field.

 

His brother sighed for needing to explain such a basic thing. “Yes, Tae, the team captain wears a yellow thing on his arm.”

 

“Him, that's Choi?” he asked, pointing at the screen when he appeared again.

 

“Yes, that's him!” Taesun looked about ready to rip his hair out, and Taemin would've gladly helped him do it if he weren't completely captivated by the fairy-like player whose hands rested upon his narrow waist and awfully debilitating smile adorned his small youthful face.

 

“He seems cool,” Taemin said in a small voice, scared to be heard at all. It was the most he was willing to admit at the moment, and even stating that aloud caused a hint of redness to creep across his cheeks.

 


 

A/N: ffffffffff I didn't mean to focus so much on the brotherly interactions, but I couldn't help myself! And I know some of the details seem far-fetched, but just roll with me. How'd you like this? Please tell me ;u; I hope to put up decent pieces throughout this challenge as well as interact with readers^^