Lapel

MAYday!

lapel
noun 
the part on each side of a coat or jacket immediately below the collar that is folded back on either side of the front opening.

{Taemin and Minho need to keep up appearences.} | 559w

 


 

Evening fell too quickly and Minho found himself a bundle of nerves even as he hurried up the steps to Taemin’s home. He wrung an old handkerchief in his trembling hands and glanced back at the coachman waiting on the carriage at the end of the path before picking up the intricate brass knocker.

 

Minho was relieved to hear footfall approaching so fast and even more when Taemin opened the door and beckoned him inside without the delay of a proper greeting.

 

“Taemin, I– I can’t do this,” Minho stammered, pushing the door shut with his weight. “Mrs. Kim pretends this is nothing more than a friendly outing, but her intentions are clear. They always have been.”

 

Taemin held his hands up as he stepped toward him, doing his best to calm him. “Yes, Minho, I know.”

 

Minho drew a long breath, then released it, only to continue with his panic. “We must go. Yet we shouldn’t.” He lightly thumped his head back against the door and shut his eyes. “Which choice would do less harm to settle on?”

 

“That depends on who you keep in mind when you pose the question,” Taemin responded.

 

“I should say her daughters… But what if the pair I keep in mind was us?” Minho slowly opened one eye to see the other’s reaction.

 

He caught a brief smile before those same lips were pressed into a line.

 

“Tell me what you’re thinking,” Minho pleaded. He lifted his head and came off the door to take one of Taemin’s small hands in both of his, making a twinkle return to his dark eyes.

 

“You still have this,” Taemin noted, feeling the thin embroidered material. “Perhaps I should have refused after all.”

 

Minho didn’t try very hard to hide the pleasure he felt to hear the other’s comment. It wouldn’t have been the best decision to reject the Kim sisters’ idea of going to the theatre that night. After being so enthusiastic and subtly confident they’d get the two to invite them, being the gentlemen they were, they certainly couldn’t object. All Minho could do then was imagine a scenario in which they had said ‘no’ and didn’t have to worry about pleasing the family.

 

He squeezed Taemin’s hand, comforted by the warmth he provided. “If only you could have,” he sighed.

 

“We should make the best of it,” he replied softly. “See to it that miss Gwiboon enjoys herself, but make sure you have fun as well.” Taemin smoothed Minho’s brown hair, gliding his fingertips along the delicate curve of his ear. “I’d like to see you smile at least once this evening.”

 

Minho couldn’t help but grant his wish right away. “Then I shall. Anything for you.”

 

Taemin chuckled at the elder’s eagerness and moved his hand to his black necktie. “We should be on our way.” He brought his other hand up to adjust the bow that sat above the white collar.

 

Minho observed Taemin while he fixed his garment, finding the look of concentration on his young face endearing as ever. “Thank you,” he murmured.

 

“Of course… And if it’s not too late by the time the show ends,” he said, sliding a hand down his chest until it was under the smooth lapel of his coat, “I’ll help you out of it as well.”

 


 

A/N: Well damn, finally. I am so relieved to finish this challenge ;; I know I went a week over, so I'm sorry I've kept you all waiting. I didn't think I'd be as busy as I was... Thank you so much for putting up with my inconsistent and reading/commenting and simply being awesome. I really appreciate it<3

And as for continuations of stories, I'll make another chapter with the details. I just want to publish this already^^;; lol