Heritage

MAYday!

heritage
noun
property that is or may be inherited; an inheritance.

{Minho comes of age.} | 796w

A/N: I am just too freakin' pleased with myself. Enjoy uwu

 


 

Minho lost track of how many young ladies in extravagant dresses and elaborate hairdos rushed to him, curtsied, and congratulated him on his coming of age. After maybe the 30th, he had mastered an artificial smile and thank you that sent the girls swooning back into the colorful sea of guests that filled the grand hall of the Choi estate.

 

He was already having trouble telling which girls belonged to which family; the intricate masks they hid behind didn’t help. But of course, they could all tell who he was.

 

Dressed in a tailored black suit with a deep crimson waistcoat underneath the jacket, a gold pendant embellished with a ruby and diamonds at his collar, and an even more flamboyant mask, there was no mistaking him for anything less than the son of the earl.

 

Elegant melodies from the orchestra floated from the front of the hall to where Minho stood by the main entrance. As guests became acquainted with one another and indulged in the food and drink served on seemingly endless tables, he remained in the same area, trying not to draw more attention to himself than the never ending flocks of girls who wanted a chance to speak with him were doing.

 

Not one to disappoint his parents, he laid on his charm thick and even left the adults – other nobles and families of status – delighted. Much to his surprise, he was beginning to enjoy his celebration.

Nothing, however, made Minho happier than spotting that red dress he had chosen on the person he’d been thinking about all evening.

 

“You’ll have to excuse me, ladies,” he said with a slight bow. “I have many more fine people to greet. Please enjoy yourselves tonight.” He flashed another empty smile and left them to giggle among themselves.

 

Minho made his way to the pillars along the side of the room, not once losing sight of the intense rose-colored fabric that clung and fell in the most perfect manner from the slight frame of his beloved.

 

He maintained formal posture, fighting the urge to smile, as he approached the figure hiding in the shadow of a heavy golden curtain. He understood why this was difficult, so he slipped behind the pillar as well.

 

Once out of sight, he bowed as deeply as he would that night, then gently took a small gloved hand and kissed it. Lifting his eyes to meet the other’s darker ones, he said, “I am honored that you could make it, Taemin.”

 

“Minho…” His voice faltered and he lowered his head despite having half his face hidden already.

 

“Yes?” Concern set on his features and he lifted Taemin’s head by his quivering chin. “What’s the matter?”

 

They both knew that question was as ridiculous as they came. Taemin, an adolescent boy employed by the family, was dressed as a lady from headpiece to slipper. And not only was he pretending to be a girl of high society, but he was to act as if he hadn’t already won the affection of the earl-to-be. Aside from initiating Minho into adulthood, the ball was meant to gather every suitable girl who hoped to one day be his wife. Simply being as in love as they were was enough to have Taemin sent very far away, and for good.

 

Drawing a shaky breath, Taemin grasped Minho’s hands and confessed what was weighing on his heart more than the obvious facts. “I can’t. Minho, I can’t… Look at them.”

 

“Look at who?”

 

“Every beautiful lady out there, Minho. Any one of them. I can’t compare.” He fought back tears and his cheeks burned with shame.

 

Minho couldn’t bear to see him think so lowly of himself. “Taemin...” He tenderly brushed his thumb across his parted pulvinated lips. “You’re the most beautiful person I will ever see. With or without all this, I love you and you should know that.”

 

The rosiness didn’t leave his face, but his anguish was replaced by a surge of sheer elation. A timid smile spread below his delicate golden mask. “I love you.”

 

Minho straightened up and dropped his hand, inviting Taemin to take it. “Now... May I have this dance?”

 

“It would be my pleasure.”

 

Hand in hand, the two stepped from behind the curtain and made their way to the center of the black-and-white checkered floor, catching the attention of all who were invited. The orchestra stopped mid-song and began a to play a waltz. Immediately, couples formed, and the hall became filled with synchronized dancers and twirling bursts of color.

 

“Don’t be nervous,” Minho whispered to Taemin. He could feel him trembling under his hold. “One day, all this will be mine. And it will be yours too.”