Expand

MAYday!

expand
verb
become or make larger or more extensive.

{Minho's mom wants to expand his circle of friends.} | 935w

 


 

I groan for the thousandth time when my mom calls me back into her room.

 

“Almost forgot,” she says, straightening her pearl necklace in the mirror. “My friend, the one I told you about, she and her husband are coming over.”

 

I stare at her blankly and lean against the doorframe, maybe messing up my hair and wrinkling the sleeve of my blue dress shirt. I get that they've been friends forever, but I've only seen her a handful of times, so there's not much I can say. “Okay.”

 

“She's bringing her son.” My mom turns to face me and she gives me a smile that I've come to be wary of. “I want you to meet him.”

 

There it is. I roll my eyes, mostly because I should've known there was a reason behind the nonstop chatter about her friend over the past week. “Mom... that's weird.”

 

“You two are close in age, so we think you'll get along.” The playful curl of her lips doesn't disappear when she looks into the mirror again. “I don't think you want to be with us adults all evening, do you?”

 

Well, she's right about that. “No,” I say glumly, running my index finger along the edge of my mom's vanity. “But I don't know who he is. I don't even know his name!”

 

“Minho, that's the point of meeting someone new!” she exclaims, letting out a giggle. “But okay, I'm sure she's told Taemin about you, so it's only fair.”

 

I wonder how long my mom has wanted to make me meet this Taemin, how long they've been talking about us without our knowledge. It's weird, like being set up. I consider that possibility and it makes me want to go to bed early and maybe stay under my blankets for a month.

 

“He's fifteen, in his first year of high school. He goes to the one...” Make-up sponge in hand, she orients herself and points east, I think. “That private school, the catholic one.”

 

I can't help but feel relieved that we have at least one thing in common already, but I won't deny that the catholic bit makes me a little nervous. I've heard a lot about kids from those schools, but for the sake of my mom, I push away all the rumors that come to mind.

 

“He's really smart, straight-As student like you. He does ballet too and oh, you should see him!” My mom doesn't try to hide her delight as she imagines his face. “I wish I had a picture to show you.”

 

“Mom. Please...” Scratch a month, make it two. Or until people forget I exist.

 

“She's so lucky to have a handsome son,” my mom continues, ignoring my discomfort if she even notices it. “But I have a handsome one of my own who's absolutely perfect.” She drops the sponge and comes to fix the hair I dragged out of place, then kisses my cheek, careful not to leave too much of her pink lipstick on me. I wipe the side of my face anyway.

 

Fighting the heat I feel creeping to my face, I ask, “Why do you want me to meet him anyway?” All her gushing is making me think spending time with the adults might not be so bad.

 

“Oh, you know, more friends.” She adjusts my collar and smoothes the fabric over my shoulders. “I know you have a lot, but more won't hurt.”

 

I give her an unamused look because I'm sure she knows 'two' doesn't mean 'a lot', so her words are just a little offensive. “You're funny mom.”

 

She cracks a smile and tilts her head. “Someone around here has to be.” She laughs when I roll my eyes again. “Go downstairs, Taemin will be here in any moment.”

 

I cry out as I turn to leave, thoroughly embarrassed because this dinner party is turning out to be more about me meeting Taemin than anything.

 

 

 

 

When my mom's friend arrives, she and her husband wait for me to go to the door, greet me and then have Taemin walk out from behind them.

 

I don't know what I expected, but he isn't it. My mom had said he was handsome. Yeah, he's good-looking, more than most boys our age, but handsome just isn't right.

 

“Honey, this is Minho. Say hello,” his mom coos.

 

The skinny black-haired boy in khakis and a white dress shirt blinks several times when he meets my stare. He looks away and then makes eye contact again.

 

“Hello Minho,” he says, soft voice revealing how young he still is. “I'm Taemin.” He tries for a smile, but it comes out as a half-pout.

 

I feel sorry for how nervous he seems. And his gestures send something like butterflies to my stomach. They make me forget about how much I didn't want to meet him.

 

“Hi Taemin,” I smile as warmly as I can, hoping he'll see that he can be comfortable around me. I come so close to repeating my name after that. So dumb. I have the idea to get us both out of there before we're taken into the dining area and get surrounded by more adults. “Do you like video games?”

 

He raises his eyebrows in surprise before nodding.

 

“Wanna play?”

 

He looks up at his mom to see if it's okay. She looks at my mom and she must've nodded because his mom smiles down at him and Taemin's face lights up immediately. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen.