Vanquisher

MAYday!

vanquisher
noun
one that thoroughly defeats an enemy or opponent

{Humans invade the planet and Minho has a special assignment.} | 1136w

 

A/N: I need to learn to write shorter things lmao

*Martenian – I didn't want to go with 'Martian', so I made the name based off the name for Mars in Spanish, which is Marte

*Deimos – name of one of Mars' moons

 


 

Humans had been on to their existence for over a century, collecting and piecing together what little they found to try to make sense of alien races they were sure existed. Most of what they came up with was simply speculation, crazy theories based on unimportant details. But at one point they had been dangerously close to discovering technological secrets that would allow them to travel how they did. Luckily for them, every government had been too greedy to share information. That had kept Earth beings away from other planets in the solar system, but times were different now. Nations had common goals and became allies. It was clear that their insatiable hunger for knowledge and exploration – reckless invasion – would not stop at one planet.

 

“How close are they?” the Martenian Leader asked Kibum, head of Military and Intelligence, who was in charge of the operation keeping track on all Human advances.

 

The official remained still beside the Leader’s chair, staring hard at the thick file he’d set on the oblong table. It was full of data, predictions and conclusions that their best scientists had put together.

 

The dozen or so members who were gathered in the room were waiting to learn what was in it, but none of it mattered anymore.

 

“Leader… we can see them from our bases above ground.”

 

A collective gasp erupted from the council. Heads of other committees and organizations began to ask what questions they needed answered to best carry out their duties, but all the voices were just noise to Onew.

 

“Silence, please!” he ordered, slamming a hand on the smooth rust-colored metal. “We need to keep our heads.” He took a few breaths to calm himself before continuing. As Leader of their planet, he couldn’t show any sign of panic, or chaos would break out. It was the last thing they needed, but it wasn’t an easy thing to do. For decades, their forces did all they could to delay Human expeditions, but now they were within sight and they were closing in.

 

“How many have been detected?” he asked in an even voice.

 

Kibum glanced at the others briefly before meeting his Leader’s black eyes. “More than we thought, sir.”

 

“Be clear, Officer. We need to know.”

 

He swallowed and his perfect posture became even stiffer. “We’ve spotted twenty ships in the past hour. Based on their size, each one may transport anywhere from thirty to forty Humans.” He paused to see if there’d be a reaction, but Onew’s face remained blank. The others turned pale, looking like average underground-dwelling citizens again. “Because of their formation, their appearance through the atmosphere, more are expected to come.”

 

Onew dismissed the council members with orders to evacuate the cities and send every Martenian to the bunkers that lied deeper still. He asked Kibum to stay behind for further questioning and what he learned was everything they’d feared.

 

“We tried hacking into their systems with no success. Their technology.. it’s not the same anymore. We don’t know what we’re up against.”

 

If Humans wanted to explore in the name of science as they’d always claimed, there’d be no need to secrecy. Onew was certain the Humans meant to invade. And he was right.

 

Not two hours after he’d given Kibum special orders to mobilize the Vanquishers, those who remained near and on the surface began to lose contact with other bases. The Humans were disabling their communication networks.


 

 

 

“Father? Father! Where are you?!” Taemin shrieked into the mirror. “What’s happening?!”

Only Onew’s voice came through the device.

 

“Son, I need you to stay calm. The Humans are here. I cannot go to you; I ha–” Shrill static interrupted him.

 

“Father!”

 

“–ght to keep our populations safe. Promise me you'll follow proc–”

 

Taemin slammed a fist against the glass, gaining an image of his father for a moment before it was replaced with multicolored pixels. “Damn it!”

 

“–ent one of them to protect you. I'll see you soon.”

 

He fought back tears and hoped that his voice wouldn't break. “Yes, father.”

 

“I love you.”

 

And then the mirror went dead, reflecting Taemin's wide, dark, glassy eyes. He pounded it again, not expecting anything, just angry that it'd stopped working, upset because he hadn't said it back, and scared because an invasion was really taking place.

 

Taemin jumped when he heard a boom in the distance and then when he saw things in the dimly lit room rattle due to an invisible wave. He was really scared then, and he almost collapsed when the door to his bedroom was forced open by a young male clad in black armor from head to toe.

 

“Forgive me,” he said when he saw how frightened Taemin was. “But I have orders to you below as soon as possible.”

 

Taemin gasped when recognized him. He'd grown taller, gotten more tan from his time above ground, but his face was the same. “Minho?”

 

The Vanquisher hesitated by the door, wondering if it would be alright to drop the formalities.

 

“It's you.”

 

"Yes." He decided that under the circumstances, it wouldn't hurt. “It's so good to see you, Taemin.”

 

“Oh Deimos, I've missed you.” He ran across the room and threw his arms around his neck. Minho caught the younger male and lifted him off the ground, overjoyed to have him in his embrace again.

 

“I've missed you too,” he said into the other's ear.

 

Another boom shook the room and they were forced to separate.

 

“How on Mars did you get assigned to... well, me?!” Taemin asked.

 

“Your father sent for me and personally told me to keep you safe; to protect you. And I'll do so with my life if need be.”

 

Taemin looked up at Minho with admiration, but also with a sadness he couldn't suppress. “I thought you weren't supposed to do that.”

 

“Do what?”

 

“You're a Vanquisher, Minho. You're all trained to take down, kill, to do anything and everything to come out victorious, yet you're willing to die from the start.”

 

Minho frowned at the dark stone floor. “You have that effect on me... or I am simply flawed beyond help.”

 

“You're just different,” Taemin cooed, cupping the side of his face with his small pale hand. “Otherwise my father wouldn't have trusted you to come here.”

 

What light had illuminated the room and corridors suddenly flickered out and the roughest quake yet knocked them off their feet.

 

Taemin yelped when he felt a sharp pain shoot to his wrist after he hit the ground.

 

Minho was over him in an instant, finding his hand to help him stand. “I need to get you out of here now.”