Gyuji; Your Voice

PinkFinite

 

Nell is a very well-known indie band because of their music and the main vocalist unique and captivating voice. The main vocalist is Kim Jongwan. He has been writing all the songs that they have performed, alone and with the other members. The band wants to perform at a very big event but before that happens, them have been performing live performances at NIT Restaurant every single night as their first step heading towards their dream. They even have a group of fans waiting for their every performances. The live performances are slowly turning out to be a mini concert for them and that is what keep the band going. They know they have a very positive future ahead.

This benefits both parties as NIT Restaurant gain more customers and Nell gain more fans. Many of Nell's fanboys started to work there as waiter and many of them fight for the night shift to see the live performances while working. The same goes to Kim Sunggyu. He is a loyal Nell's fanboy among the rest. He is huge of fan of Kim Jongwan. Even the band members know him. Sunggyu always come to their live performances every night and he is working as a waiter at NIT Restaurant for the night shift after graduating college only because of Nell. Sunggyu has been working there for almost six months and the band members see him not just a fanboy, but also a close dongsaeng. Well, all the staffs there are close with the band members.

Jung Eunji is a vocal trainer-to-be, who just starts working at that neighbourhood about a months ago, but never once she goes to NIT Restaurant. All of her students have been telling her to go to the night live performances because of that particular band. Everyone in the neighbourhood loves Nell. Coming from Busan who's culture is a bit conservative, Eunji doesn't spend too much time outside and socialize, especially not at night. One night, she is debating with herself. Her heart tells her to go to that live performances meanwhile her mind tells her to be a good girl and go home. But somehow, that night triggers her to go.

Eunji pushes the door open and she is surprised to see the customers who have been crowding at the front line near the stage. She goes to a table, slightly far to the back and near the counter. Then, come a waiter who greets her with a smile. She replies his smile back and looks at his nametag. Lee Howon. He gives her the menu and after a minute of looking and flipping through the pages, she finally decides what she's going to have for her dinner. He jots it down and recovers back the menu before disappearing behind the kitchen door, not failing to give her a warm smile again. Everyone here seems nice, well, at least that waiter does, thought Eunji.

The crowd starts to cheer and chant for Nell when the clock strikes 8.30 p.m. but then, a waiter goes up the stage instead of the band they have been waiting for. The waiter stands in front of the mic stand and nervously takes the microphone.

 

Hello everyone. I'm Kim Sunggyu. I'm very sorry to say that Nell sunbae-nim won't be performing tonight and we only got the info just now. Some of fans' sigh can be heard through the tense air.

 

You guys may not know me, but I wanna say that I'm a huge fan of Nell, just like you guys. Jongwan-hyung is having a throat inflammation and he is taking a rest now. He said to me that he was very sorry for this unpredictable incident and he will come and perform tomorrow, with the band as well. I hope you guys can understand. 

 

If you guys don't mind, I would like to sing 'Time Spent Walking Through Memories' as we don't want to disappoint you guys for coming. Sunggyu can see some of the crowd starts to nod. He smiles.

 

I'm not much of a singer, but Jongwan-hyung said to me that he loves my voice. The crowd starts to laugh at his joke. The atmosphere starts to brighten up a little. He takes that as a yes

 

The stage lights starts to dim and the spotlight shines over Sunggyu's figure. The crowd claps for Sunggyu when the music starts to radiate the similar melody that they love and Sunggyu sings...

 

Still... I can still hear your voice.

Still... I can still feel your touch.

Even today, I live in your tracks again.

Still... I can still see your image.

Still... I can still feel your warmth.

Even today, I live in your time again.

 

From the image of a stranger walking by,

From the leaf that rides the wind and mournfully dance,

From the air in the evening that brushes my face,

Everything I see, I hear, I feel,

You are there.

 

How about you?

Are you the same as me?

How about you?

 

Even now, I still feel you.

Like this, even while I'm singing,

I still see you.

Tomorrow, I will see you again.

Tomorrow, I will hear you again.

Tomorrow will be just like today.

 

From the image of a stranger walking by,

From the leaf that rides the wind and mournfully dance,

From the air in the evening that brushes my face,

Everything I see, I hear, I feel,

You are there.

 

How about you?

Are you the same as me?

How about you?

 

On top of the hollow sitting chair that lays there,

Inside the glass drinking cup that I unconciously pick up,

Inside the mirror that I look to see myself,

Inside the song that gently sits in my ears,

You are there.

 

What to do now?

You probably have erased everything now.

What to do now, with us...?

What to do now?

What to do now?

 

The door of yearning opens,

Your memories came and found me.

My eyes keep turning red.

What to do now?

 

What to do now?

 

The crowd is awestrucked by how Sunggyu's voice captivated their hearts. Of course Sunggyu's voice and Jongwan's voice are different but both of it are so beautiful in their own ways. Both of it managed to capture their hearts tenderly. The crowd loves so much how Sunggyu's voice fits Nell's music. They give him a very loud applause and some of the girls from the crowd starts to squeal with delight when Sunggyu bows and waves to them. The staffs seems to be relieved when Sunggyu managed to statisfy the crowd's expectation. No, it was beyond their expectation. The crowd loves him. The staff loves him. Everyone loves Sunggyu's voice, including Jung Eunji.

 

Thank you, everyone. Have a great night. 

 

Sunggyu bows once more before going down the stage, being escorted by the clap and cheer from the crowd. Sunggyu opens the kitchen door to see all the staffs with the statisfied look on their faces. Lee Howon, or they call him Hoya, hugs Sunggyu tightly. Being his best friend, he had to admit that this is the proudest moment he had experience. He is always being proud of the talented Sunggyu but never this close to this night. 

 

Sunggyu-hyung, because of you did well tonight, you can go home early. We will handle the rest. said Sungyeol, one of the waiter.

 

Yes, Sunggyu-hyung. I can't wait to show this to Jongwan-hyung. said Sungjong while holding a camera recorder.

 

Did you record the performance, Lee Sungjong?!? Sunggyu definitely feels embarrassed when his favorite band sees his amateur performance.

 

Don't worry, Sunggyu-hyung, I'm sure they will love this. Sungjong winked.

 

Now now, Sunggyu-hyung, go and pack your bag before we change our mind., said Dongwoo. He pats Sunggyu's to rush him.

 

Thanks guys. I'll never forget this. Sunggyu waves at them before going to the staff room to change clothes and takes his stuff.

 

Sunggyu grabs his bag and his coat before shutting the locker. He heads to the counter to takes his motorcycle key when suddenly, a group of girls starts to surround him, blocking his way out. The girls call him "Sunggyu-oppa, Sunggyu-oppa" when they all look older than him. They ask him random questions like, "How did you manage to be close with Jongwan-oppa?", "What is his favorite colour?", "How long have you know Nell?" and the list goes on. Sunggyu doesn't know which one to answer first as he being bombed by more questions.

They keep on pushing one another until a loud crash noise can be heard, followed by a few more after that. They are now avert their attention to the sound. Eunji is on the floor, with a few glass and plates scattered next to her. She is probably being pushed by the crowd, lost her balance and stumbled to the table. Sunggyu makes his way through the crowd softly and rushes to Eunji's side. 

 

Are you okay? 

 

Sunggyu takes his coat to cover Eunji's legs and the obvious stain on her skirt. Eunji can't look up because she feels so embarrassed when everyone is looking at her. Sunggyu catches a broken heel among the scattered pieces and he looks at Eunji heels. It matches. Suddenly, Hoya comes to the scene. He looks at Sunggyu for a second and they exchange nod. Hoya then politely asks the crowd to get to their places or proceed on whatever they're doing before. Sunggyu, on the other hand, is helping Eunji out.

 

It's okay. Everyone has gone back to their places. I'm sorry for that. 

 

Eunji slowly lifts her head up to see Sunggyu. Not only his voice has captured her heart tonight, but also his face. Eunji didn't manage to see Sunggyu clearly on the stage before because she's too far behind. She then looks at her broken heel.

 

Can you walk back home safely? I can send you.

 

That's okay. I can walk by myself. Eunji grabs Sunggyu's coat to give it back to him but he grabs her arm securely.

 

Let me help you because I feel guilty. I will only send you home. Nothing more, I swear.

 

Eunji looks at Sunggyu to find his sincerity when he snakes his arm around her waist to lift her up. Her face is red like a tomato or maybe even redder because of the close proximity. She would have feel her space being invaded but the smell of his cologne increased her pulse. He takes Eunji's arm around his neck to support her walking while the other hand is still at her waist. Eunji grabs her bag with her free hand and they both make their way to the exit in silence.

Sunggyu stops when they reach his motorcycle. He takes out another helmet from the seat and starts the engine. Sunggyu gives the helmet to Eunji and he takes his coat from her. When Eunji finished wearing the helmet, he gently puts his coat around her shoulder and buttons up the first two so that the coat securely wrap Eunji's small body. Eunji is thankful as Sunggyu can't see her blushed cheeks through the helmet. Sunggyu wears his helmet and hops on the motorcycle, followed by Eunji.

Eunji tells Sunggyu the direction to her house as it's only a few hundred meters away from the restaurant and they start their journey. The night breeze brushes Sunggyu's body as his shirt is too thin to withstand it but Sunggyu doesn't feel cold at all as he can feel the heat from Eunji's hands at his waist. It would be awkward for him if Eunji wraps her hand around his waist on their first meeting, but being Jung Eunji who is full of sense, she only grabs his shirt on the side to prevent her from falling.

 

Thank you, Sunggyu-ssi. Eunji gives the helmet and his coat back when they arrive at the front of her house.

 

No, thank you for letting me helping you out. At least, I feel less guilty.

 

That's good to hear. Eunji shows him her genuine smile for the first time.

 

I never see you before at the restaurant, ummm...

 

Eunji. Jung Eunji. she offers a handshake and he quickly returns it.

 

That's the first time I went there. I work at the vocal training center nearby and all of my students ask me to go there, so I went.

 

I see... It's nice to meet you Eunji-ssi. Come again tomorrow and you will be our regular customer like the rest when you see Nell sunbae-nim perform.

 

I will. Thank you again, Sunggyu-ssi. See you tomorrow. Sunggyu smiles back at her before he starts the engine and rides his way back to his home.

 

**********

 

From one night becomes a week and a week after that. No one can escape from Nell's live performances once they heard for the first time and that includes Jung Eunji. The crowd of fans averts their attention back to the original singer, leaving Sunggyu alone like normal. Sunggyu is thankful as the crowd leaves him as he can spend more time with Eunji. Every night, they would always spend some time together, talking about work and random stuff like Eunji's students, the other NIT Restaurant's waiters and how are Nell sunbae-nim as Sunggyu's favorite hyung.

As night passes, they have been sharing lots of laughter and blushed cheeks as they are deepening their friendship. The staff knows that Sunggyu is in love with her even when he is denying it. Hoya knows Sunggyu is the type who is shy to admit his feelings but he is sure that this one is going to succeed. Even the Nell members notice this. They tease Sunggyu so hard one night, he blushed instead of denying like he always do. Jongwan then ask Sunggyu to meet him alone because he is going to discuss something with Sunggyu.

That week passes like usual then come one night where Eunji is told by Hoya that Sunggyu is not coming to work as he have something more important to do. Of course Eunji wouldn't have been told before because they never exchange their phone numbers. That hits Eunji so hard when she finally realized the reason why she keep on coming here. It is not because of Nell, but because of Sunggyu himself. She loves to hear Sunggyu's voice more than Jongwan's. His voice soothes her heart. Even when everybody is crowding over Nell, she will definitely stay by Sunggyu's side.

Eunji decides to stay for the live performance before going back. At least, she can share it with Sunggyu tomorrow. Nell's live performance is always captivating, even to Eunji, but the spark is not the same. Eunji packs her stuff and grabs her bag but she is stopped by Jongwan.

 

Thank you everyone for coming tonight. Thank you for showing your support to us. Thank you for not leaving us when I couldn't come weeks ago. Do you guys still remember the waiter who sang that night? Yes, it's true. He is our loyal fanboy and we are so close to one another. I watched his performance that night, thanks to the one who record it. I'm sure all of you love him, right? As a show of appreciation to his loyalty, I've wrote a song for him. We work very well together; he shares a story of a girl that have his interest lately and I write and compose the song for him.

 

The crowd is amazed by Jongwan's casual talking session.

 

So tonight, he will end this with his solo performance. I hope you guys love it.

 

Jongwan and the rest of the members packs their stuffs, leaving the crowd stunned. They never imagine that they will listen that mesmerizing voice again, especially not when he is going to sing the song that Jongwan writes for him. The members leave the stage and the stage lights start to dim. They can see a figure walking to the mic stand and slowly, the spotlight shines on him for the second time. The new melody captures the moment and his voice captures their heart, once again.

 

My mind is completely filled with the thoughts of you.

My heart is completely filled with longing for you.

 

Right now, I want to run to you.

I want to fill my sight with you.

Right now, I want to run to you.

I want to press my lips to yours.

 

If only I could, I would want to give you my everything.

If only I could, I would want to fill my days with you.

 

Hundreds of times each time, I wonder about what you're doing.

The music we listened to together takes the place of my longing for you.

 

Right now, I want to run to you.

I want to fill my sight with you.

Right now, I want to run to you.

I want to be by your side from,

the time the sun sets until it rises in the morning.

I want to walk down the road in that picture with you.

 

If only I could, I would want to give you my everything.

If only I could, I would want to fill my days with you.

 

If only I could, I would want to fill my days with you.

I'm the type who easily does things that shouldn't be done, but I can't do this.

If only I could,

my two feet would already be carrying me to you,

my two arms would already be around you.

Before I longed for you, you would already be in my sight.

The moment of hesitation would already be me sketching out infinity of you.

My heart is telling me it's easy,

but my body can't handle it.

The easiest thing in this world apparently has always been hard for me.

You're so far away.

 

If only I could (I'd already be heading to you),

I would want to give you my everything (but you're so, so far away),

If only I could (you'd already be in my arms),

I would want to fill my days with you.

 

I want to press my lips to yours.

 

Sunggyu ends the live performance perfectly, leaving the crowd jawdropped by his mesmerizing voice. A few seconds later, Sunggyu gets a standing ovation from all of them, from the crowd, from the staff and from his favorite girl. He heads towards Eunji's table when most of the customer leave the restaurant, feeling content from his voice. Sunggyu is so surprised to see Eunji is crying when he takes a seat next to her.

 

Hey hey Eunji, why are you crying?

 

You're definitely the worst guy I've ever met.

 

What?

 

Hoya told me you were not here before because you had stuff to do so I really thought I wouldn't see you tonight...

 

So, you really don't wanna see me? That is why you're crying?

 

No! I was crying because I was so surprised by how beautiful your voice are. I love your voice so much

 

There's definitely more of me you're going to love from now on. Sunggyu holds her hands softly in between his hands and rubs her knuckles. Eunji hides her eyes beneath her bangs, feeling shy to look at him.

 


 

I hope everyone loves this ^^ just so you know, Sunggyu really did perform those songs. If you're curious, then click the link below, okay? Emotion-filled Voice Gyu is really jjang! Sorry if this chapter is too long because of the lyrics.

Kim Sunggyu - Time Spent Walking Through Memories >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZbModj_xcM 

Kim Sunggyu - Daydream ft Hoya >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3LTSsUm9lA