Homi; Blonde and Black

PinkFinite

 

Senior year has always been the most fun year whether in high school or university. The feeling for that specific year is different from the rest. The same thing goes to Yoon Bomi and her group of friends. Bomi is always being the loud one but she is actually shy on the inside, while there are Jung Eunji, who is the smartest yet charismatic, Park Chorong, who is the cutest yet she denies it all the time, Kim Namjoo, who is the iest in the group yet she can be clingy sometimes.

This group of friends known as the most attractive and fun senior group in their high school. Many of their juniors look up to them, to their friendship. They always look bright and smiling in front of their juniors and during school time, but little other people know that these friends actually had a few episodes of ups and downs before their friendship strengthen to that stage. These friends become more understanding and considerate towards one another even with just a mere eye contact or simple gesture.

There is another group of friends, boyfriends which the juniors respect the most. They have always been active in sports, excel in their studies, perfect all-rounders. Such versatile students who is in the group are Lee Howon, Kim Sunggyu, Nam Woohyun and Lee Sungyeol. They all have such stunning visuals and their bodies are great too. Ideal body proportions. Many of the juniors write love letters to them, some of the brave ones even confess and give them presents. Not that these boys enjoy it, but they just feel bad for rejecting the 'genuine' attention they have been receiving all these years.

What makes these two groups more interesting to the school is that both of the groups are actually hanging out with one another. They can click whenever the eight or some of them are together. They always been together during recess, after school, study group and all, almost 24/7. The eight of them are the role models to their juniors as they are always giving such positive and friendly images. 

Senior year will always be about friends and love, about separations and break-ups, about reconciles and make-ups. The other important thing during senior year in high school is the prom night. Of course, the seniors are so busy preparing for it, some of the girls are busy shopping to look good on the special night while some of the boys are busy preparing their hearts to ask the girls to be their partners.

But, it is different for these eight friends. They don't have any interest on going to the prom. Firstly is because they don't like being in the center of attention, to be honest. Secondly, they just don't feel like going. They are comfortable with each's company so why would they bother to go there and be among the massive crowd? These friends spend most of the time preparing for the prom even though they're not going. The boys reject all of the invitations from their admirers and the girls do the same as well. None of them thinking about dresses or suits when they can wear casual tee and jeans to their own 'prom' night. 

 

**********

 

The day of the prom night. The eight of them gather up in front of the library to discuss about their own personal meeting at Eunji's house. The boys will buy foods and drinks while they girls will prepare and clean up a few things. They separate their own ways and agree to meet at Eunji's place two to three hours later. The girls, as usual, gossiping among themselves on their way to Eunji's house.

 

"Hey, have you guys heard that Hoya's parents decided to get a divorce?" Eunji starts the gossip.

 

"What?!?" The other three respond together.

 

"How did you know, Eunji?"

 

"Sunggyu told me. Hoya has never been drunk before but last night, he drank too much with Sunggyu, he end up talking gibberish, ranting his frustration out and fall asleep."

 

"This is too sudden..." Chorong pouts a little. It is heartbreaking to hear that kind of story. 

 

"I don't know what's going on either, but as far as I know, his parents keep on arguing over things lately."

 

"Poor Hoya..." Namjoo speaks up her inner thought.

 

"That's true..."

 

"So...Bomi, you have to be by his side and look out for him no matter what." Eunji adverts the topic to make the atmosphere better.

 

"W-What?"

 

"Yeah Bomi, we all know you have such feelings towards him and he's your best friend anyway, it's not wrong for you to take extra care and pay extra attention towards him." Chorong and Namjoo start to squeal next to Bomi. Bomi can't help but blushed at the reaction.

 

"Bomi, your cheeks are so red, oh my goodness!" Eunji points to Bomi's cheeks. Bomi quickly covers her cheeks.

 

"Guys, please. Don't overreact this, there's no way I would stick my nose to nowhere it belongs to."

 

"You never know, Bomi. Maybe Hoya wants your attention from now on, a shoulder to lean on, a support system to help him get through all this and then suddenly, voila, both of you fall in love with each other."

 

"I don't know..." Bomi hugs herself.

 

"You have our support, Bomi."

 

"But I treasure him and our friendship more than my own feelings."

 

"And isn't it the best when two best friends fall in love with each other?"

 

"I don't know..."

 

"Just be with him, Bomi. Maybe with only your company, he feels calm to overcome it."

 

Bomi stops when the other three hugs her tightly. She knows from that moment on, she have the support from her three sisters. 

 

**********

 

The girls arrive at Eunji's house. They start to divide the work. Bomi starts to cook a few light dishes, Eunji is preparing the dessert, Chorong and Namjoo are cleaning the living room, the patio and prepares the barbecue stand for them to grill the meats, vegetables and the side dishes later on. They have been doing their work respectively for almost 2 hours and lastly, they collapse onto a sofa when the work is done. Bomi end up sleeping on the sofa when the boys arrive. Eunji stands up to get the door while Namjoo and Chorong just let Bomi sleep, not wanting to wake her up.

The boys come in with many plastic bags on both of their sides. Sunggyu and Woohyun go straight to the barbecue stand at the patio to start grilling while Sungyeol heads towards a toilet after putting the plastic bags on the coffee table. Hoya sits next to the sleeping Bomi after putting the groceries in the kitchen and the girls leave the two of them alone. Chorong, Namjoo and Eunji can't help but smiling to each other.

Hoya keeps on staring at Bomi's bare face. He can't believe his eyes. Yoon Bomi is definitely beautiful to him, her blonde hair adds the effect to it. She is like the sun to his dark and gloomy world, the flower to his desert-like heart. Hoya's inner thought stops when suddenly, Bomi leans in to rest her head at his shoulder. Hoya just let her be while he smiles to himself, seeing Bomi sleeping cutely besides him. 

Bomi is sleeping and Hoya is enjoying Bomi's company. The moment gets interrupted when Sungyeol calls for them to meal. The girls quickly brings the stuff from the kitchen to the patio and Hoya manage to call Eunji while at it. He ask for her help but she just smile to him before leaving him alone with sleeping Bomi. Hoya turns to Bomi to wake her up when one side of her tee suddenly slides down her shoulder, exposing her bra string, her defined collarbone and her milky white shoulder. Hoya stays frozen for a moment before he gently adjusting her tee to cover them back.

 

"Bomi. Yoon Bomi. Wake up."

 

"U-Uhhh?" Bomi starts to wake up but she can't register the image she's seeing at the moment.

 

"Bomi, wake up. Let's go and grab our dinner."

 

Hoya swiftly grabs Bomi's hand and slowly stands up. Bomi can feel the warmth on her hand and when she finish rubbing her eyes, she can see Hoya clearly. She looks at him, his blonde hair makes him look more attractive and his hand intertwines with her hand, she feels the butterflies in her stomach. She doesn't want for this to end yet so she acts as if she is still sleepy while Hoya drags her outside to the patio. Sunggyu and Woohyun can't help but cooed at the scene in front of them when Hoya and Bomi is heading towards their table with hands intertwine one another. Sungyeol covers his mouth to hold back his laughter by looking at the two boys while the girls look at the two 'lovebirds' proudly.

 

"She is not fully awake so I have to drag her along."

 

Hoya tries to explain the situation even though there is no use explaining to the other six since they've been giving him some kind of lovey dovey expression. Bomi stumbles a little when Hoya let go of her hand. He helps her sitting down on a chair and he takes a seat next to her, since that is the only seat left. 

 

**********

 

The dinner goes smoothly. All of them are full so Sunggyu brings along three bottles of soju to the table. They all end up drinking except for Hoya, since he has been drinking last night and Bomi, since she is not a drinker. They talk about everything, about their future plans, about their next step after graduating. When the other six are drunk enough, Hoya and Bomi help getting them inside the house. Hoya goes to the storeroom to take out the blankets for his friends while Bomi cleans up the mess at the patio.

After done cleaning the patio, Bomi decides to join the rest of her friends, but her intention stops when she sees Hoya outside at the patio.

 

"Hey..."

 

"Hey..."

 

"What are you doing out here?"

 

"Thinking, nothing much. What are you doing here?"

 

"Wondering around..."

 

Bomi shoots him the most innocent smile of hers. Hoya smiles to her genuinely before looking back at the sky. Bomi looks at him, with his blonde hair dancing to the wind and the moonlight shines on his blonde hair, makes him look majestic from her angle. Hoya can feel a pair of eyes looking at him so he turns to it. Next to him, Bomi is looking straight into his eyes, with her blonde hair glowing under the moonlight, making her look like an angel.

Without thinking straight, the two of them leans in closer. They are so close to each other, they can feel each other hot breath when suddenly Hoya realizes what he is doing, he stops. Bomi looks up to him to see why he stops and she can see that he feels sorry for what he did. Bomi bites her lower lips because she feels embarrassed. She can't look at Hoya anymore and her cheeks are slowly turning red.

Bomi knows why Hoya did that. She can understand him, his shattered heart, his broken pieces. Bomi is trying so hard to hold back her tears but Hoya can see it through her. He pulls her in for a hug gently with his one hand rested around Bomi's waist while the other one is holding onto the back of Bomi's head. Bomi cries when she can feel him comforting her, she nuzzles to him closer to remember that scent of his, to appreciate the closest interaction they had, to make this moment last forever in her dreams.

 

"I'm sorry... I'm really really sorry, Bomi." Hoya's voice shakes a little.

 

"Don't say sorry, Hoya. I understand. It's me who's being selfish." Bomi can't stop her tears.

 

"No, you're not. I feel the same way too, but the timing... I think it's not the right time for me since you know, my parents..." Hoya hugs her tighter when he can hear her crying a lot more. 

 

"Hoya..."

 

"Yes, Bomi?"

 

"I like you..."

 

"I know..."

 

"I like you a lot..."

 

"Me too..."

 

"I love you..."

 

"I feel the same way too..."

 

"I will always be with you whenever you need me..."

 

"I know and I really appreciate that..."

 

Both of them cry in each embraces. Bomi nuzzles to his neck closer and cry because she hate herself for being selfish, for not being considerate. Hoya, on the other side, kisses Bomi's right ear and cry because he hate himself for not being strong enough, for not being able to be in love for the time being.

They don't realize their friends are watching them from inside the house. The girls are already crying silently and the boys can't help but feel depressed as well. Too many emotions in one scene, love, friendship, separation, consideration, heartbreak; everything sums up the whole scene, the six of them can't utter a word to describe it.

 

**********

 

Since that night and three years onwards, Hoya has been coming back and forth between Seoul and Busan since her mother lives in Busan with his older brother and his younger brother while his father lives in Seoul with the rest of his fellow colleagues. Hoya and Bomi go to the same university in Seoul but both of them are in different departments, but they still keep in touch and meet for quite a number.

Things are slightly different in their group. Sunggyu and Eunji continue their studies in a very prestigious university together since they both are in a relationship. Woohyun is studying abroad while Chorong is studying local, continue their long-distance relationship. As for Namjoo and Sungyeol, they both are studying at a practical training centre, preparing themselves to be a part of a volunteering community.

Meanwhile, Bomi is still waiting for Hoya endlessly. The feelings she has for him never fades away, she doesn't even know why. She knows that she will helplessly hurting herself while waiting for him, but since he feels the same way towards her, why not wait for the right time to come? That time will come for sure and it will make all the time she spent on waiting worth it. 

Bomi and Hoya know their feelings and realize the other's feelings as well, but they are afraid to admit it. They keep on showing their love towards one another, but none of them are ready to take the first step to the next level. Ever since Hoya's parents divorced and live separately, it is logical for Hoya to not easily trust anyone in this kind of relationship. And Bomi on the other side, she is trying to be considerate and prioritize Hoya more than herself. 

Their conversations are always about studies and random stuff, but never once they touch on a very deep subject or heart-to-heart talk since the last time they confessed towards one another. Skinny love is what people described their relationship.

One night, Bomi had a meeting for her group project so she went back to her apartment late than usual. She searches for her key inside her sling bag when suddenly she spots a manly, suspicious figure, sitting on the floor next to her door. Obviously the person is waiting for her. Bomi hesitates to move when the person can sense her presence and look up to her. 

 

"H-Hoya?"

 

"Why are you late? I'm getting tired of waiting, you know..." Hoya stands up and brushes off the invisible dust.

 

"Now you know how I feel all these time..." mutters Bomi to herself. 

 

"What did you said?"

 

"Nothing!"

 

Hoya eyes her until she looks away.

 

"What brings you here, Hoya?"

 

"Are you tired?"

 

"Not so much, why?"

 

"Do you wanna walk with me?"

 

"S-Sure, let me put my things inside first."

 

It is like a thing for them to walk together at night when one of them feels down. Since they don't touch on sensitive and deep issues, they just spend the time walking with the other's company while recollecting their thoughts until they feel calm again. Well, it is always about Hoya's family. Bomi is a very positive and bright person so she usually don't have such deep problems. Bomi is thankful that Hoya didn't rebel and do dangerous things to himself. 

Bomi locks the door and puts a scarf around her neck to keep herself warm. Hoya smiles looking at her and instinctively offers her a hand. She looks at him for awhile, not sure of his intention, but she reaches for his hand nevertheless. 

They walk side by side with hands intertwined, heading towards the Hangang Park. Since it is pretty late at that time, the park looks empty compared during the daytime where it is usually crowded. There are a few people, cycling, walking, enjoying the night view. The night view is definitely breathtaking. The river is shining under the moon, the bridge connecting to the other side of the city is filled with colorful lights, the city across the river emits white lights beautifully. 

Hoya and Bomi continue to walk along the sideway. Bomi looks at Hoya from time to time to make sure that he is okay. That blonde hair that she falls for is no longer blonde, but the black hair still looks amazing on him. Plus, he wears glasses now, he looks more matured and cuter. Bomi appreciates the guy in front of her, unconsciously stops on her track, making the guy stops as well, and looks back to her, worried.

 

"Bomi, are you okay? You're tired?"

 

"U-Uhhh, a little..." Bomi lied to him. How can she tells him the truth?

 

"Let's sit here for awhile..." Hoya leads her to a bench nearby. 

 

Hoya takes off his jacket and puts it on Bomi's lap. Since Bomi is wearing a short jeans, he wants to keep her legs warm. Bomi looks at him and when she can see his smile, she smiles back to him. She insists him on wearing the jacket back, but when he said that he's okay without it, she places the jacket back on her lap. Both of them are enjoying the view in front of them and the comfortable silent between them.

Bomi then fishes out her phone and an earphone from her pocket. She puts one side of the earphone on her left ear and the other on Hoya's right ear. He just let her be. A few seconds later, a sweet melody takes over the silent. 

 


I know, when things aren't working out your way,

You can't sleep, no matter how you toss and turn.

So many numbers saved on your phone,

But you can't dial a single on up.

 

When you want to be alone, but it gets lonely.

When you don't have the energy to smile.

Things to do piling up endlessly.

Sighs bursting out of your mouth.

 

Lean on me, you can lean on me.

With you, you, always.

Lean on me, you can take a break.

With you, you, I understand.

 

When a day feels extra longer.

When the way home feels further.

When you're full of things to say,

But you swallow them behind a bitter smile.

 

When you feel like you'll burst into tears,

If someone pokes at you.

When you try to believe everything will be okay,

But sighs burst out of your mouth.

 

Am I the only one?

Is everyone else doing fine?

I know, I know, I'm doing alright.

Don't keep it tucked inside.

You know, you know, I'm by your side.

 

Lean on me, you can lean on me.

With you, you, always.

Lean on me, you can take a break.

With you, you, I understand.

I understand.

 

After the song ends, the comfortable silent takes over them again. Suddenly, Bomi can feel a hand moving her fringe to the side. She looks at Hoya and she can see that he is holding back his tears. His hand rubs her cheeks gently and his eyes can't look away from her beautiful dark eyes. The shining blonde hair of hers that he loves the most is long gone, but she still looks beautiful with her black hair.

He leans in closer to place an emotion-filled kiss on her forehead. She closes her eyes and holds onto his hand on her cheeks. His tears flow from his eyes down to her face. She rubs his hand, ensuring him that she is with him until everything is alright, until the end if he wants her to.

 

"Thank you, Bomi. I love you."

 

"I love you too, Hoya..."

 


 

Hello everyone~ It feels good to be able to write again. I'm sorry if this chapter ends up longer than usual. The song that I used here is Lean On Me by Soyou and Kwon Jeongyeol. The song is very nice, I highly recommend it! Lovelyz is already making a comeback. "Ah-choo" is so sweet tbvh and I'm happy that Jisoo is finally joining the girls on stage yesterday. Lovelyz Diary 3 is also ongoing and I can't help myself but cried so hard whenever Jisoo talks about her hard times. 

Thank you for all the readers and subscribers. I really appreciate each and every one of you. I know it's kinda boring for you guys since all of my oneshots are in the same type of genre, but I can't write angst, comedy, rated and the list goes on. I also don't know what type of genre is my writing but one thing for sure, I write it genuinely ^^ I hope you guys like it.