Woorong; Until the day...

PinkFinite

 

Where am I?

 

The ceiling is pale white. The walls are in light colours too. Chorong continues to observe her surrounding with only the motion of her eyes.

 

Why I can't seem to remember where I am?

 

"...she is experiencing a temporary memory loss..."

 

Temporary memory loss?

 

"...I can't guarantee you if she's going to remember them all back..."

 

What are they talking about?

 

"...it seems like she's having the post-traumatic effect from the accident..."

 

Why I can hear the conversation but I can't see who's talking?

 

"...even though she can't remember you yet, I hope you would still help her..."

 

Are they talking about me?

 

"...she's going to discharge tomorrow morning. I hope you can assist her..."

 

Discharge? Am I at a hospital?

 

"...it's okay, I'll be with her till tonight, then, I want her to be under your care..."

 

Under whose care?

 

"...but please, Hyun-ah, can't you look from her side of view? I want her to be with you, and I'm saying it not just as a doctor, but also as your best friend..."

 

Hyun-ah?

 

"...what's the use of helping her when she doesn't even remember me?"

 

Why are they keep on talking like this?

 

"...you never know, Hyun-ah..."

 

Can someone please explain to me what's going on?

 

"...I will help her, but in my own ways. I'm not pushing her to remember me, so I have to put a distance between us..."

 

Us?

 

"...and I pray the best for both of you..."

 

The sound of a door opening can be heard and someone comes into the room. Chorong tries to sit up when her head suddenly hurts so bad, she falls back to her bed. She can hear the beeping sound from a machine besides her and she can also hear the guy's voice.

 

"Chorong-ie!"

 

Then, all goes black. Chorong wants to open her eyes because she can senses a presence besides her but her eyes don't want to cooperate. Sooner, she falls asleep.

 

**********

 

Chorong is finally awake from her sleep. She wants to move her body a little since it feels aching from staying at one spot for too long, but she stops her intention when she can feel a familiar warmth at her right hand. Someone is holding her hand at the moment. She opens her eyes slightly, not to surprise the person but enough for her to see the figure. The guy is rubbing her knuckles with his thumb. He looks worried while thinking of something but his eyes are wondering only at her hand.

Chorong opes her eyes fully, to appreciate the guy besides her but she can't see him clearly as the room is dark and the moonlight behind the guy is shining brightly, she only can see his silhoutte. Chorong doesn't want to speak up as she might frightened the guy and she is afraid to lose him from her sight. Chorong looks at him, something tells her that this guy is a part of her life but she can't seem to remember who. Thus, she stays like that to memorize his figure so that she can try to remember him back as time goes by.

 

"Chorong-ie?" 

 

The guy looks up to her and his thumb stops rubbing her knuckles. Chorong is so surprised because she doesn't want him to leave her. She still can't see his face because of the moonlight, but seeing him looking back at her, giving her such loving warmth. She can't see his smile but she instinctively knows he is smiling at her. She can feel his gaze and she is somehow blushed because of it. Chorong feels scared because she doesn't know or remember this guy, but her heart longs for him. They stay like that for a few minutes before he breaks the silence. 

 

"Chorong-ie, I know you can't remember me, but I want you to remember what I'm going to say."

 

Chorong waits for him to continue.

 

"I don't want to scare you, but I just want you to know that you are special to me. So special to me, I can't bring myself to force you to remember me because it will hurt you."

 

He looks down to her hand again.

 

"I will wait for you no matter how long it takes. I will wait for you until the day you remember me, Chorong-ie."

 

He puts her right hand carefully to her side and he stands up. He looks hesitating for a moment before he leans closer to Chorong. Chorong is so surprised by the sudden closeness, she feels like screaming. But then, his words calm her down.

 

"I'm going to miss you, Chorong-ie."

 

Chorong can feel her own tears rolling down her cheeks by hearing those words, but strangely she doesn't even know why she feels that way. She doesn't even know why she is crying. 

 

"I love you, Park Chorong."

 

That is when she stops feeling everything. Her heart seems to be broken by those words. Even though he said that he loves her, but somehow she feels that he's leaving her for good. Then, she can feel a pair of hands swiftly holding her both cheeks and a warm kiss on her forehead. She quickly closes her eyes to feel the emotion transferred from the guy's heart to the kiss. She holds onto his hand at her cheek, indicating him to stay a little bit longer when she can feel him getting further from her. 

He looks straight into her eyes and for a second, Chorong can see his face, his eyes, his smile briefly. It's like a flash of second before she could register the images to her brain before he turns away, heading to the door. She can't help but crying when his steps look so heavy to leave her. He stops in front of the door, taking a last look at Chorong.

 

"I will wait for you."

 

Then, he turns away and disappears behind the closed hospital door. She can't help but clenches her heart tightly because she can't endure the pain.

The pain of being left behind.

The pain of longing for him.

The pain of seeing him hurting himself for her sake.

Chorong doesn't even know who he is but she screams her heart out. She clenches to her heart tighter to make the pain go away. Then, suddenly comes in two nurses to her room. Opening the light, Chorong can see everything clearly but not the figure that she wanted. The nurses try to calm her down but she keep on screaming and crying her heart out. Little that she knows the guy she longs for is witnessing the whole incident before he pulls his hoodie over his head, starts to walk away while wiping off his tears.

Leaving her is painful, but looking at her suffer is more painful. Everything is just heartbreaking at the moment.

 

**********

 

Two months later, Chorong finally starts to live her life normally. She learns that she and her father had an accident and her father passed away on the spot, while she is experiencing the post-traumatic effect. She can't remember anything related to the accident or a few hours before the accident happened. She can't remember anything at all. She also learns that the doctor who has been treating her is Kim Sunggyu, and her best friend, Jung Eunji. The two of them are together and they both have been helping Chorong so much. She keeps on being reminded by them about Nam Woohyun.

 

Nam Woohyun.

 

Somehow that name rings a bell. They said he is her boyfriend, her other half, but she can't remember him. She can't remember how they are in their relationship. She can't remember those butterfly and fluttery feelings she had when she's with him. She can't remember their days together. She tried so hard to remember, but nothing. She got nothing. The only thing she remember is his last words and their last moment that night.

Chorong is in a great condition, minus her memories of Nam Woohyun. She starts working as the financial manager at a very famous handbag outlet at a mall in the middle of the Seoul city. It is very convenient to her as she can ride the train to her workplace and back to her shared apartment with Eunji. Eunji will always drop her off and pick her up at the train station. That is how their life for now. And on weekends, they both will get together with Sunggyu to catch up with her memories that she've gained throughout the week.

One day, on her way back home, suddenly the city is filled with sudden falling snowflakes. Chorong reaches out for a snowflake as she always enjoys these little things. She forgets that she doesn't bring her coat or scarf to warm herself up. While everyone else is rushing to the nearest cafe to grab something hot, Chorong heads towards the train station. When she arrives there, there are only a few of people at the station unlike the usual nights where they would fight with one another to ride the earliest train. Chorong smiles. Something feels unusual to her that night but it's warming, despite the cold weather.

Chorong takes a seat next to a window in the train and everyone else scattered around since there are so many free seats. Chorong rubs her hands together to warm them up and she hugs herself. There are two stations before her stop and it takes around fifteen minutes to reach there. The train starts to move and she can see the snow is falling like a rainstorm. It is indeed a beautiful sight but it's frustrating as people can't ride their vehicles at this condition.

Chorong can't help to warm herself up during the short ride back home. When she finally steps out of the train and swipes her train card at a counter, she can feel the cold breeze hits her whole body. She immediately hugs herself again and stops by at a bench nearby. Suddenly, a guy comes to her.

 

"Here."

 

Chorong looks up to see a very handsome guy in front of her. He gives her his scarf.

 

"B-But, what about you?"

 

"I'm fine. My house is not far from here so I think you need this better than I do."

 

"T-Thank you." 

 

Chorong receives the scarf shyly and bows to him for his genuine consideration. The guy smiles to her then heads off. Chorong stops for awhile and look at the backview of the guy. It looks familiar to her. His smile and his backview. She wraps the scarf around her neck while her eyes are still at the guy's back. A familiar scent hits her nose. She brings the scarf closer to her nose to smell the familiar scent again, then everything seems to be in places. From the familiar smile to the familiar backview and the familiar scent, she remembers that night.

 

Nam Woohyun.

 

That's Nam Woohyun.

 

Chorong grabs her bag and she starts to run after him. She lose him at a corner but that doesn't stop her from running after him. She's been waiting for him for two months and now, she is not going to lose him again. The heavy snow blurs her view but she can see a familiar figure far in front of her. She takes off her boots and runs to him even faster. Her feets are experincing some cold pain because of the snow but that doesn't stops her. Her view is suddenly getting hazy and she falls down to the soft ground because her legs can't support her anymore.

 

"Nam Woohyun!"

 

"Nam Woohyun-ssi!"

 

The guy stops at his track before he turns around to see Chorong on the ground. He runs to her side quickly with a worried look on his face.

 

"Woohyun?"

 

"C-Chorong-ie?"

 

"Are you Nam Woohyun? Please tell me that you are..."

 

Woohyun can see the tears she's holding in. He takes her into a bridal style and heads under a nearby bus stop. Woohyun puts her down gently at the seat and he sits not so far from her. His eyes are focusing on her cold feet. 

 

"Why are you not wearing your boots?!?"

 

Woohyun slightly raises his voice accidentally because he is worried.

 

"Why are you being considerate to me without telling me who you are?"

 

Woohyun looks surprised. He doesn't expect that. They stay silent for awhile, looking at the snowflakes piling up at the ground before he starts a conversation.

 

"Do you remember, Chorong-ie?"

 

Chorong can feel the pain by hearing his question. She doesn't want to lie to him, but at the same time she doesn't want to lose him.

 

"I guess you don't, huh?"

 

There it is, the pain. Chorong can feel it again.

 

"Sunggyu-hyung told me everything about you every single day and I'm hoping that you could remember me, but the chance of it seems so small."

 

Chorong stays silent as she keeps on holding back her tears.

 

"I'm not going to introduce myself to you as the stranger Nam Woohyun, but as the Nam Woohyun that you love..."

 

Chorong holds onto her bag tighter.

 

"...but well, I guess things don't always work the way you wanted..."

 

Chorong can hear his voice shaking a little. They stay silent again before Woohyun stands up and turns his back towards her. Chorong panics.

 

"Woohyun-ie!"

 

Woohyun stands still, he is so surprised to hear that name coming from , again. 

 

"I used to call you Woohyun-ie, right?"

 

Silence. Woohyun doesn't know what to expect because she still doesn't remember him.

 

"Woohyun-ie, I know it's hard for you right now because I don't remember a thing about you, about us, but please, I'm begging you not to leave me again..."

 

Chorong moves closer to his back. She grabs onto his jacket and rest her head at his back. Woohyun is still remain static.

 

"Please accept me as I am right now. I don't know why but I'm longing for you. I missed your loving gaze, your smile, your comfortable warmth..."

 

Chorong snuggles closer.

 

"They feel so familiar to me even though I can't remember our days and time together. I'm not asking you to accept me to start a new life together, but I want you to accept me to continue loving each other like we used to. The memories may not be coming back to me, but I will always love you until the day I remember you back, Woohyun-ie."

 

Woohyun turns slowly to see the face that he missed so much. He holds her chin and gently brings it up so they can see each other. They both are searching for the sincerity that they wanted to see and they both smile when they suddenly feel shy doing that. Chorong snakes her arms around his waist to bring him closer to her. Woohyun touches the scarf around her neck.

 

"I will make sure that you remember me until the day we first met." 

 

Chorong nods and her tears flowing down. Woohyun wipes off the tears and leans in to kiss her. The snowy night goes heavier as their longing for one another is going deeper. 

 

"I love you, Chorong-ie."

 

"I will always love you, Woohyun-ie."