Woorong; Flower Language

PinkFinite

 

Park Chorong. She is the only daughter in the Park Family but unfortunately, she is the only left since her parents died in a car accident when she was 6 years old. After that, her aunt takes care of her and Chorong gets to know a boy who lives next door, Nam Woohyun. They grow up together and they have been close since then. Woohyun, being two years older than Chorong, he feels that Chorong is his responsibilty. Instead of taking care of her for the sake of pity, he is really sincere. 

Woohyun have a huge interest in flowers, and as far as Chorong remember, they both spend time together at the garden between their houses. Woohyun's mother is a florist, she owns the garden and she have her own shop. Woohyun does very well in his studies and he is the model student in his school but he runs the shop before entering college since his mother has been promoted to work abroad with a group of professional florists. The pay is really great. Woohyun have his own apartment and most of the things have been taken care of. But this somehow upsets Chorong because she wants to go to college with Woohyun.

Ever since Woohyun starts working, Chorong will always drop by to visit him. The shop is well-known around the neighbourhood and it's been doing great. They also have more workers than before.

 

Morning Chorong.

 

Morning oppa. You're alone today?

 

The other will be here at noon. Today is your first day in college right?

 

Yes, and I really wish we can go there together.

 

Chorong-ah, don't say something like that. I love what I do and I want you to support me. It's not like I'm being forced to do so. That is why I want you to study hard so that you can do what you really love after that.

 

Yes oppa~ I'm just sad you're not furthering your studies.

 

Don't be because I'm not. Here, Chorong-ah. Happy birthday. Woohyun takes out a simple yet very beautiful bouquet of violet roses and gives it to her.

 

Wow oppa! This is so beautiful! And it smells great.

 

There, right there. The feelings that you're experiencing right now is my pleasure. I love when people appreciate what I've done with flowers.

 

I know oppa, I know. I hope I can feel this way as long as I have this. Chorong breathes deeply inside the bouquet.

 

I hope so too. Woohyun wishes her the best of luck and Chorong sets off to college brightly.

 

**********

 

Months later, Chorong texts Woohyun, saying that she wants to introduce a friend of her to Woohyun. Woohyun, currently, waiting for them at the meeting place, which is Chorong's favorite sushi place. Woohyun takes out his dictionary; flower dictionary to be exact and scan through the pages. He is too engrossed in reading it, he does not realize the two of them have arrived. Chorong sits in front of Woohyun and her friend sits next to her.

 

Oppa, please focus on me right now.

 

O-Ohhh Chorong-ah, sorry. Didn't see you there. Woohyun puts his dictionary away.

 

Oppa, this is the friend of mine I've been telling you before. Suho, this is my one and only brother, Woohyun. Woohyun shakes hand with Suho, smiling to him. 

 

Later than, Chorong tells Woohyun how college day went and they both casually talk about random things; like how the worker at the flower shop get stung by a bee, or how Chorong meets new people along the way to her college. Mostly, Chorong and Woohyun will tell story to each other while Suho just listen to every single conversation. After they have their lunch, Woohyun excuse himself, returning to the flower shop because he's been away quite long enough. He gets up and heads to the counter to pay. He waves at Chorong and Suho before going to the exit.

 

Chorong, what is your relationship with Woohyun? said Suho after Woohyun is nowhere to be seen. Chorong can hear a slight different tone from Suho.

 

What's with the question, Suho? He's my brother. We've been together since I was 6. I've told you everything, right?

 

But looking by the way he treats you, he looks at you, it does not look like just a brother to me.

 

You're being ridiculous, Suho. Maybe because you guys don't know each other yet, he is always like that. 

 

I'm a guy, Chorong. I know, I'm not blind. Suho stands up, leaving Chorong behind, chasing after him.

 

After that first meeting, Chorong and Suho are not in a good terms. Chorong tells Woohyun how she finds it ridiculous for Suho to act like that. Woohyun feels guilty because he can feel that he's the reason for this. While Chorong sits behind the counter, Woohyun prepares a bouquet of white tulips and wraps it with a grey paper, ties it with a pink ribbon. Then, Woohyun gives it to Chorong, advises her to pass it to Suho, asking for forgiveness about the misunderstanding.

 

Chorong-ah, give this to Suho. This bouquet represents what Suho feels at the moment.

 

What do you mean, oppa? How can you be sure about that?

 

Well, let's say from experience. Hurry up Chorong-ah, before the flowers wilt.

 

**********

 

Chorong is dumbfounded when Suho suddenly saying that things will not work the way he wanted between them. He does not even take the bouquet when Chorong gives it to him.

 

I don't know what Woohyun is trying to do but if he says that this bouquet represents what I feel right now then you better keep it. says Suho, before he slowly kisses Chorong's cheek. Chorong stays there, suprised at what just happen.

 

I like you Chorong, but you will understand this when the time comes. Suho waves at her before he turns around and walks away.

 

That night, Chorong cries her heart out without telling Woohyun about earlier.

Chorong would be lying to herself if she is okay with what happen. Days passes but Chorong still can't accept it. If Suho likes me then why can't we be together? I like you Chorong, but you will understand this when the time comes. what is that supposed to mean? Chorong has been trying to understand what Suho said the last day they met but she still can't find the answer.

Woohyun sees Chorong sitting at the bench outside the flower shop, spacing out. Woohyun knows that maybe Suho said something to her since he didn't see that boy anymore. Maybe something happen between those two. Knowing Chorong for years, he leaves her like that. She will tell him when she's ready.

Chorong continue living her life, finally focusing on what she wants to do. She brings books and studies at the flower shop while Woohyun is working. They will have a dinner together and Woohyun will walk her to her house after that. That's a part of their rountine from now. Chorong finally starts to become herself again, being bright and bubbly. Woohyun realizes that too when he unconciously smiling, seeing her like that. 

 

Oppa, do you hear what I just said just now?

 

Huh? Yes yes.

 

Oppa, your face shows it otherwise. And why are you smiling at me like that?

 

No, I was just happy that you're finally back. Chorong looks away, avoiding the topic.

 

Chorong-ah, I've been working on something special for the valentine's day. Would you like to have a look?

 

Sure oppa. she looks at Woohyun as he going to the back room, bringing a hand full of gardenia.

 

Chorong-ah, how is this for valentine's day special bouquet?

 

Oppa, aren't people would be after roses on valentine's day?

 

Yes, but I've decided to make something different. he gives her the gardenia.

 

Oppa, this is so beautiful. Look at the colour. It is so pure. her hands carefully examine the structure.

 

Yes Chorong-ah, white represents pure, joy and sweetness, but for gardenia, it have it's own secret message.

 

What is it oppa?

 

Only those people who are in love will understand.

 

That's not fair, I'm not in love. Oppa, can I take this?

 

Why would you Chorong-ah?

 

So that I can have the motivation to fall in love? Woohyun smiles to her.

 

Okay, take it, hoping you will find the meaning of it. Chorong continue examining the structure and playing the petals, being obliviously to what Woohyun said to her.

 

**********

 

Tomorrow is Valentine's day. Woohyun is busy preparing the special valentine bouquet. The shop is filled with gardenia's stems and petals, small-cut sized of brown paper and strands of tangled dark brown ribbons. Chorong, on the other side is currently at the library, spending time with her friend, Eunji. 

 

Chorong-ie, do you have plans for tomorrow?

 

I don't know Ji. Maybe spend time alone in my room, watching movies.

 

Seriously?

 

Well, what can I do? I don't even have a boyfriend?

 

Chorong-ie, please, what about that Woohyun oppa?

 

Uhhh Ji, he's my brother if you might forgotten.

 

But the way I look how he treats you, I don't think it just a brotherly feeling.

 

You're kidding me right? Why Suho said the same thing too?

 

See, he's not the only one who sees it that way, I mean, come on Rong-ie, I think you're too naive or too oblivious to realize it.

 

Nehhh I don't think so.

 

Does he ever tell you anything about his love life?

 

No...

 

See! Maybe, just maybe, you're the one---

 

Don't be ridiculous Ji. I don't think he is.

 

Okay Chorong-ie, since he's a florists, he must have given you flowers right?

 

Yeah but that doesn't prove anything.

 

You know, you're quite slow for this kind of thing. What flowers did he give you all this while?

 

Haaa let's see, He gave me a bouquet of violet roses on my birthday, a bouquet of white tulips but that one he asked me to gave to Suho but since he didn't want it, I took it and the other day, he gave me a gardenia but that's because I want it.

 

Okay, stay here. Eunji stands up, heading towards a bookshelf, far from where they sit. Few minutes later, Eunji brings a big, thick, some sort of dictionary.

 

Okay Rong-ie. Let's see...

 

What are you doing Ji?

 

Helping you realize something before it's too late. Chorong watches Eunji silently, still figuring out what she said just now. Eunji flips the pages until 'R' section.

 

It stated here, violet roses represents love at the first sight; the flower you would give to the person you fall in love with at the first sight. Chorong watches Eunji as she flips the pages to the 'T' section.

 

White tulips represents one-sided love; the flower you would give to someone when you're having a one sided-love or you're hoping that the one you give this flower would understand your feelings. Eunji knows Chorong is in a shocked state but she keep on flipping the pages to the 'G' section.

 

White gardenia represents pure, joy, good luck but for some cases, it can be secret love. For lovers who have a crush on someone, they usually use this flower. Eunji closes the dictionary, putting it aside and continue observing Chorong's expression.

 

So what do you think, Rong-ie? Still confused? Still denying?

 

Where are those meanings come from?

 

Long time ago, all these meanings are some sort of like the language during Victorian era. They used flowers to express what they are feeling. Creative isn't it? But not most of the meanings are accurate. It depends. Most of it is contradicting. Chorong just stares at Eunji, trying to solve the puzzle.

 

I'm sure all those flowers he gave you have some sort of meanings he wants to convey. Since he's a florists, I'm sure he knows, Rong-ie.

 

Violet roses represents love at the first sight.

 

Here, Chorong-ah. Happy birthday.

Wow oppa! This is so beautiful. And it smells great. I hope I can feel this way as long as I have this.

I hope so too.

 

White tulips represents one-sided love.

 

Chorong-ah, give this to Suho. This bouquet represents what Suho feels at this moment.

What do you mean oppa? How can you be sure about that?

Well, let's say from experience.

 

White gardenia represents pure, joy but for some cases, it can be secret love.

 

White represents pure, joy, sweetness but for gardenia, it have it's own secret message.

What is it oppa?

Only those people who are in love will understand.

Ji, is it true?

 

Rong-ie, why don't you reply to him tomorrow?

 

But what if I mistakenly interpret his messages, Ji?

 

And what if you're not? Give it a try, Rong-ie. You wouldn't know unless you try.

 

**********

 

Woohyun has been running the shop since early in the morning. He is glad his special valentine bouquet is getting a lot of attention, more than he expected. There is only one left and he decides to give to Chorong until a grandpa come in and buy the last bouquet. There goes my last chance, thought Woohyun. Then, Chorong enters the shop. She goes straight to the red roses, picking a few stems and heads towards the counter. Woohyun looks at her, puzzled. He wraps it nicely without saying anything.

 

Oppa, you can keep it. I bought for you anyway.

 

Chorong-ah...? he looks confused, she chuckles.

 

That's my reply to you, oppa. she stares at her shoes, her hands playing the thread from her bag, her cheeks burning. Woohyun smiles sheepishly, happy with her reply.