Hang on to me.

And then I met you, (again)

Mino hurriedly grabbed his hoodie on the couch and put it on before heading out of the door with Taehyun.

“Hyung! I’ll be out with him for a while, the PD wants to see us.” Mino shouted to Seunghoon who was in the kitchen, having his usual cup of milk.

“Mm, quickly come back! We have to leave by 9 today” Seunghoon responded back.

As Mino slams the door in a hurry, Taehyun was already waiting outside for the lift. They both knew what was up, but they had to coordinate their story to make it believable to the PDs.

“Okay here’s the thing. I know this was going to happen so I thought of this excuse. Initially I thought we could just tell them we were having a personal talk, but that won’t do. They will keep asking more. Let’s tell them that we’re working on something, that’s why we can’t have it broadcasted. It’s the only feasible reason for now.” Mino explained.

Taehyun nodded his head and they both entered the lift. “But what if he wants to listen to it? Like what if they want to listen to what we have done the entire night?” Taehyun asked.

Mino scratched his head and looked around, as if the answers would come out from the walls of the lift. “Hmm, just tell them we don’t want to reveal anything just yet. Because it’s not finalised and we don’t want to raise any hopes yet.” he answered in an unsure tone.

The lift door opened and the two hurriedly made their way to the parking lot where they walked towards a black tinted van.

“Remember what we planned to say!” Mino reminded Taehyun before knocking gently on the window.

The PD opened the door and invited the two into the van. “Good morning, boys!” he greeted cheerfully.

Mino and Taehyun greeted him back and took a seat in the cramped van which is dark and is full of monitors which shows their movements in the house.

“Daebak!” Mino exclaimed, touching the row of monitors in the van. He was amazed at how their movements and their conversations are being closely monitored by the staffs. “Seungyoon’s running out of the toilet again”

“Fascinating, isn’t it. We can see EVERYTHING you guys are doing.” The PD emphasised.

Although it seemed a little uncomfortable to be watched by the staffs 24/7 and not having their own personal space, they know what is to come when they signed up for the trainee life.

“So let’s get to the point, I know you guys have your vocal training at 9.30 later on. What happened last night?” The PD asked without beating around the bush.

“Last night… You mean when we came back from the training centre?” Mino played dumb.

“Yeah..” the PD paused. “You guys came back… some of you went to shower, you called Seunghoon into your room and switched off the camera, then Taehyun went into your room and came out only at like what- 4am in the morning?” he explained the chain of events that happened last night.

Taehyun played the sluggish character in the situation. “Are we supposed to reveal this yet?” he ‘pretended’ to ask Mino through a whisper which was obviously loud enough for the three of them to hear.

“Shhh, not so loud! You mean the thing we were working on last night?” Mino whispered back to Taehyun, taking note of the PD’s expression.

“Whow whow.. Hold up, what is this ‘thing’ you two are hiding from me, or in fact the viewers and the president?” the PD asked, totally falling for Mino’s and Taehyun’s acting.

Taehyun gulped and Mino cleared his throat. They both looked at the PD and were convinced that their acting had worked.

“Actually….” Mino started. “Aish, I don’t know if we should reveal this or not though.” He scratched his head.

“What is it?  Something inappropriate to be on air? By any chance….” The PD tried to make a rough guess.

Taehyun chuckled loudly. “What would be inappropriate to air? We are just ordinary boys living in the dorm what could possibly happen?”

“Right? I thought so too” the PD laughed, even he finds himself ridiculous for thinking of such things.

Mino cleared his throat again and started off, capturing the PD’s attention. “Actually this was supposed to be our top secret.”

“We’ve been practicing for a while and our vocal teacher kept telling us that our voices would match really well with each other. He even made us record a track once to hear how we’d sound with MR and stuff”

At this point, Mino was still telling the truth. It was true, their vocal teacher had always mentioned how their voices could complement each other’s well and even had them record a short part of one of the preview tracks.

“So last night while we were on our way home, I thought of making the beats, which is why when we reached home, I immediately called Seunghoon hyung in.” Mino explained further.

“Uhuh, I saw the part where Seunghoon came into your room and you guys took out the battery. What did you guys discuss about?”

“I was asking him if I really should make the beats for a possible collaboration with Taehyun to surprise our vocal teacher, so he was giving me advices. This explains why we turned off the camera and stuff.”

The PD went silent for a while, trying to match the recordings he saw last night with Mino’s explanation.

“And then that’s when I was called to come in and we started working on the beats together the whole night.” Taehyun continued.

“Hmmm, okay…” the PD nodded his head after digesting the entire story. “What about the part where Seungyoon wanted to open Mino’s door and was stopped by Seunghoon then?”

Taehyun looked up at Mino, he didn’t know about the part where Seunghoon was watching over them the entire night. Seunghoon is actually on their side? By the looks of it, he definitely is on their side considering the fact that he knew what was going on in the room last night and even stopped the other members from entering.

“Like I said, it is a surprise that both of us are working on right now. Hence, the other two members do not know about this. I confide a lot in Seunghoon hyung, which is why he was the first to know about this surprise collaboration. If you want to have a listen to it, I have it in my laptop.” Mino offered, he wasn’t sure why he blurted that out but he wanted to convince the PD into really believing their story.

“That’s fine, I’ll keep your surprise a secret for now. But if anything suspicious happens, I’ll look for you two again.” The PD explained as he sips his coffee. “I shall not take your time anymore, you two may go.”

“What could possibly happen?” Taehyun chuckled again. “Well, you never know.” The PD replied. With that, Mino and Taehyun thanked the PD and left the van.

“Ah, one more thing Mino!” the PD called out. “If possible, do record yourself occasionally when you’re not working on your beats. We need more footage of you!”

“Yes, I will!” Mino answered and waved his hands.

“Woahhh that was close!” Mino brushed through his hair while waiting for the lift. “Never knew you could act so well?”

“Yang president sent us for acting lessons during my first year here. It finally came in handy huh.” Taehyun smirked. “By the way, Hoon hyung knows about us?” he asked Mino as soon as the lift door closes.

“Hmm, yeah. He’s on our side.”

Taehyun felt protected. For once he finally feels that someone close to them is watching over their relationship and safeguarding it from the eyes of everyone. Of course, he wanted the other members to be on their side too but not for now. Just having Mino’s best friend to stand up for the both of them is enough.

In the past, they had Mino’s grandparents too, but that was when they were still cautious about their relationship and they have never announced that they were officially dating.

They entered the dorm and the members were having their breakfast. “Yah Mino quickly wash up, we need to leave soon!” Seungyoon started nagging as soon as they entered.

“Yes, mum.” Mino playfully replied.

He went into the kitchen to take his towel and poured himself a cup of water. Seunghoon walked into the kitchen just then to take a second serving of cereal. “Did everything go well?” he asked out of concern, after figuring out why they were called down to meet the PD.

“Yup hyung, I’ve got it all covered. As expected, being in the theatre club for half a year back in school hasn’t gone to waste.” Mino whispered before tapping his best friend’s shoulder.

“Psh, what were you thinking when you signed up for theatre club back then? You didn’t even last a year.” Seunghoon teased his best friend, earning a punch from Mino on his shoulder.

Taehyun who was watching the two best friends from behind just smiled at Mino’s playful antics. Mino hurriedly walked to the toilet to wash up after Seungyoon had reminded him again to him to hurry up.

“Hoon hyung…” Taehyun called out. “Thank you,… for protecting us.”

Seunghoon smiled like a proud father. Of course, he was happy that his best friend was finally reunited with his first love and he was even happier that his first love is someone he sees every day. For as long as their friendship lasts, he will always be his best friend’s strongest pillar of support.

“Don’t mention it.” Seunghoon gave Taehyun a light pat on his shoulder. “Go and have breakfast, we’re leaving in 20 minutes.”

~~~

At the training centre, the members waited outside the waiting room to have their attendance checked through the individual video recording. Team A was the first to reach so the members were crowding around the glass door as Seungyoon records his attendance.

“Next” Seungyoon announced as soon as he was done. As usual, he made his way to the training room first while the other members wait for their turn.

Jinwoo raised his hand signalling that he wants to record his next. He opened the door and the other three members waited outside.

“So…. Now that I know your dirty little secret, do I get anything for keeping this secret for you two?” Seunghoon playfully teased the two.

“Ah hyung!” Mino punched Seunghoon lightly on his arm, making Taehyun laugh as well.

“When did you find out though? I mean about us?” Taehyun asked Seunghoon.

“Last night.”

 “So means he has never talked to you about me?”

“Well, occasionally he does. It’s just that recently he started talking more about it, which makes me a little suspicious if this first love he was always talking about has returned in his life. Because it’s been four years you see.” Seunghoon casually answered, rubbing his eyes, probably still sleepy.

“Taehyun ah, are you going to keep asking him everything when your own boyfriend is in front of you?” Mino crossed his arm.

Seunghoon chuckled at this side of Mino which he has never seen before for as long as they have been friends. He could only watch them as Mino kept going on and on like a jealous boyfriend. He admitted that they kind of look good together, with the both of them having completely opposite personalities. Mino has a manly and dark personality while Taehyun seems to be on the softer side, in terms of his facial expressions and his aura. No wonder they fit so well together.

As Mino was busy rambling to his boyfriend, Jinwoo left the waiting room and pointed into the empty room. “I’m going in first!” Seunghoon announced. He wanted to give the lovers some space to have their conversation before they get busy with practice later on.

“Yah Mino” Seunghoon called out as he was entering the waiting room. “Drop your act. Being a jealous boyfriend doesn’t really suit you, you know. Just saying”

Mino looked at Taehyun before bursting into laughter. “Aish this hyung. No sense at all!”

Taehyun looked at his lover whose face was as red as a tomato. “So someone’s jealous? Because I keep asking Hoon hyung questions?”

Mino forrowed his eyebrows. Obviously he wasn’t jealous. Well at least that’s what he thinks. Why would I be jealous of Taehyun asking Seunghoon about me?

“No, I wasn’t.”

“Ayyye you were.”

“I wasn’t.”

“You were.” Taehyun bent a little to look at Mino’s who was looking down out of embarassment. “So you were?” he smiled playfully. “You’re so adorable, when you get jealous. Turning all red and stuff, not like the arrogant hugeboy on the first day.”

“Stop it. I would kiss you senseless if the security ahjusshi isn’t around and if there aren’t any security cameras around.”

“Too bad, you can’t” Taehyun stick out his tongue to tease Mino.

“Good morning, hyung-deul!” the sound of a person greeting could be heard from a few meters away, interrupting the private time the lovers were having that morning. Mino and Taehyun immediately knew who the owner of the voices was and they bowed to greet as they approached them.

“Where’s the rest?” the leader of the other team approached them first.

“Hoon hyung is recording inside, Yoon and Jinwoo hyung went up already. Where’s Yunhyeong though?” Taehyun asked B.I.

Like reflex, Mino immediately look at Taehyun when he mentioned the name of his friend from the other team. Come on, Song Mino. Don’t do this now. They are just friends, like you and Seunghoon.

He didn’t want to doubt himself anymore. He knew he loved Taehyun and Taehyun loves him, there is no need to doubt each other when it comes to these kinds of things, right? As much as he wants to put in his full commitment into this relationship, the image of those two kissing on the rooftop still disturbs him. Is there an explanation for that? When is a good time to ask Taehyun?

“He was walking at the back with June though.” The leader looked behind them. “Oh, there they are!”

“Hyuuuuuuung!” Yunhyeong called out and ran to Taehyun as soon as they see each other. The two embraced in a hug and patted each other’s head like how they always do when they meet. Mino who was watching them broke out a bitter smile.

The door of the waiting room opened and Seunghoon came out. “Mino, your turn.” He called out to Mino who was standing by the door alone. Taehyun was busy talking to Yunhyeong that he forgot he was waiting in line to record.

Mino entered the waiting room, with the feeling of bitterness. He pressed the power button and fiddled with his hat.

“I thought it would be a good day today.” he started out in a mumble.

He continued fiddling with his hat as he sighed and looked at the camera. “I’m probably not awake yet, sorry if I keep rambling like this.” “If I tell myself that today will be good, it will probably be good right?”

Mino looked down again and sighed. Then he suddenly smiled and clapped once. “Today will be a good day. Today will be a good day. I’m sorry, viewers. I’m doing some mind control now. It will probably be a long day today, I don’t know. But anyway attendance checked.”

With that, Mino gave a ‘thumbs up’ sign and switched the power button off. Today will be a good day. He didn’t want to think so much about Taehyun and Yunhyeong and convinced himself that Taehyun loves him, and only him.

He walked out of the door and called out Taehyun’s name. “Taehyun ah! Your turn. Quick we only have 3 minutes left before 9.30!” Mino checked his watch.

Taehyun who heard his name being called out ran in between the Team B members and headed towards the waiting room. He was busy talking to his good friend that he didn’t realise the time. “Hyung, can you wait for me? I won’t take long” Taehyun requested.

Mino nodded his head and waited outside for Taehyun.

“You guys start at 9.30 today?” one of the team B members asked Mino and Mino only nodded.

“Cheer up, chingu! Why do you look so down this morning?”

Mino looked up and fiddled with his hat again. “Well, maybe lack of sleep.” he laughed it off.

“Hyung! I’m done!” Taehyun ran towards Mino as he left the waiting room. “See you later!” he waved at the Team B members and pulled Mino’s hand. Both of them ran down the stairs and headed to their training room in the basement.

Taehyun who was in a hurry stretched his hand out to open the door but Mino stopped him. Instead, Mino gave Taehyun a quick peck on his lips and pulled away before Taehyun could even react.

“You’re mine, you know?” Mino gave him a slight smirk before opening the door. It happened too fast and Taehyun could only smile.

“9.30 on the dot!” Seungyoon announced.

The two lovers took their seats as they catch their breaths. Taehyun’s fingers grazed over his own lips, tasting the sweet taste of Song Mino and he couldn’t help but to smile to himself. Even though it happened too fast, it feels like as if Mino’s lips were sealed onto his forever. The impact was long lasting.

Practice went on as usual and the members had slightly more than 2 weeks left to their final evaluation. This will be their final evaluation before they start to battle head on with Team B on the stage in front of the judges.

About 20 minutes before lunch break, the president suddenly made a surprise visit to Team A’s practice room. “Ready for this month’s evaluation?” he casually asked as he strutted into the room with his iPad in his hands.

The members looked at each other. They are not 100% ready for the evaluation, but at least they were clear of what they were performing.

“Can you perform what you have prepared so far then?”

Al though the team still needed a lot of practice, they were motivated to show their president what they had prepared so far. After all, this is their final evaluation and they had to do their best for it. The president had mentioned during their previous evaluation that the winning team would be given a one night trip to the beach. Of course, both teams were enticed by that offer and were determined to work even harder to win this month’s evaluation.

The members got into their places and started to showcase their dance for the president as soon as the music started. After their performance was over, the members stood in a straight line and were catching their breaths while the president started evaluation their performance and pointed out their flaws.

“Your team work….” The members immediately knew that they were not going to hear something good. For the past few evaluations, their team work seemed to be pointed out a lot by the president and the other YG trainers.

They were always compared against the other team in terms of their teamwork and how they are always not united when it comes to dancing or how they look awkward when interacting with each other whenever they have to do their dance steps together. The team thought that they were close enough to each other, but apparently they don’t look bonded enough in other people’s eyes.

“Taehyun, you.” The president pointed at Taehyun. “How long have you been here?”

“This year is my fourth year, sir!”

“4 years is not a short period of time. Why do you look so awkward? Are you a borrowed member from somewhere?”

That remark was like a bullet shot straight into Taehyun’s heart. It hurt so bad that he felt like he was going to break down at that very moment. The members widened their eyes as they realised how harsh that remark was, considering that Taehyun had been with the team for almost 4 years already.

Mino turned his head slightly to look at his lover, who kept a straight face throughout. Hang in there a little more, love. I’ll lend you my shoulder and you can cry your heart out after this.

“Tell you guys what. I’ll have your training sessions halted for one day. Tonight, go and pack your stuff. You guys are going on a team bonding experience tomorrow. Get me?”

“Yes, sajangnim!” the members answered.

“Come back, and work better as a team okay? Talk more amongst yourselves. Don’t just practice hard.”

The boys bowed to the president as they watched him leave their practice room. Taehyun sat on the bench and took his cap off. Without realising, his tears just fell when he could not control his emotions any longer. The members were all in despair, they knew how much of a blow that had been to their fellow youngest member. Taehyun was their treasured member. He had unique vocals which was a precious asset to the team.

In that situation, Mino could not do anything much. The other members were around them and the camera was recording the entire thing. He felt useless even though he was sitting beside Taehyun because he could not give Taehyun his shoulder or let him cry in his arms. Gently, he his lover’s back and massaged his shoulders, giving him the much needed comfort.

“We’ll give you guys some time to yourselves, see you after the lunch break.” One of the crew members announced and the camera men crew started to pack their equipment busily. The boys stood up and thanked the staffs.

After the staffs had left, the five members huddled each other and comforted their crying maknae. Taehyun was blessed to have the members around whom he could count on, and most importantly, he lover. He had never felt so much loved before, even from his parents.

The members left for lunch after comforting Taehyun. Taehyun told them that he would go out a little later because he needed to be alone in his own private room. After all, that is where he finds his own peace whenever his mind is in a mess. Mino offered to follow him, but his offer was rejected when Taehyun only whispered to him weakly that he needed to be alone for awhile. He respected his boyfriend’s decision and joined the members for lunch.

Mino, as well as the members finished their lunch and headed to the practice room. Worried about his lover, Mino excused himself and decided to look for Taehyun in his private room.

“Hyunnie?” Mino called out as soon as he opened the door of the store room, which Taehyun calls it his private room. He immediately walked over to the spot where he found Taehyun previously, when they had their little fight in front of the members. He smiled when he saw Taehyun sitting on the floor alone.

“You remembered.”

“Mmhmm.” Mino opened the can of drink he took from the cafeteria and handed it over to Taehyun. “Did you cry a lot?”

Taehyun took the drink and nodded his head.

Mino felt really sorry for Taehyun. What sin has this boy done to have suffered so much in his life? His parents, his siblings and now even his own company president. He was thankful that he found Taehyun again and is now by his side.

“Use my shoulder and cry. I’ll be here with you.” Mino offered.

Taehyun looked at his lover. He was calm to know that he had someone by his side now. He never allowed anyone to enter that room when he cries over the president’s straight forward remark. But with Mino, it’s different.

 “Sometimes, things don’t go the way we want it to be, doesn’t it? I thought I had done my best. I thought I was already improving. I thought I…”

“Shh,..” Mino whispered into Taehyun’s ear. He his lover’s hair and Taehyun buried his face into Mino’s chest.

Taehyun started crying again, letting out his suppressed frustrations. As he cried, the mean president’s words played in his head over and over again like a broken tape. He never cried so hard in his life before. With Mino by his side, he felt like it was alright to cry as much as he wanted to. Mino allowed the younger cry as much as he wanted. He missed having Taehyun cry on his shoulders again, like how he used to in the past whenever he talks about his parents.

Mino cupped Taehyun’s face when he realises the younger has stopped sobbing. “Feeling better already?”

Taehyun smiled and nodded. “But I’m hungry.”

Mino laughed at Taehyun’s pouting face. “Aigoo, someone’s crying so hard today he forgot he had to eat.” He tugged Taehyun’s hand and pulled him up.

“Now let’s wipe that tears off your face and eat.” Mino wiped Taehyun’s tears with his thumb and held Taehyun by his shoulders.

“I know I’m not exactly in any position to tell you these, considering you’ve been here for many years now, but things will get harder as we go on. There will be challenges in our way, but as long as you hold on to me, as long as we hold on to our team mates, we will win this battle together. The five of us, okay? Know that if you need a shoulder to cry on, I’ll be here for you.”

Mino kissed Taehyun’s forehead and rested his forehead against Taehyun’s- nose against nose and eyes looking deep into each other’s soul.

“Now let’s eat. I think I heard your stomach grumbling.” Mino teased.

The two lovers went back to practice after lunch and continued their schedule until the end of the day. Taehyun felt better after crying his heart out in the storage room and he was able to focus during practice.

The members finally ended practice at 2am and they walked lazily back home. They still had to pack their bags and get ready for their little bonding session the next day.

~~~

Morning came and the members greeted the camera crew excitedly who were waiting for them with their transportation. Even though they were physically drained, they were really excited for this trip, not knowing what is in store for all of them.

The boys unloaded their bags into the back of the van and excitedly wondered among themselves about what they are going to do during the trip. To be honest, this is the very first time all five of them are travelling together in one van. In the past, it used to be only the three of them, but now they have five members travelling together.

“Taehyun ah, sit with me.” Mino called out as soon as he unloaded the last bag.

“Okay, love!” Taehyun answered.

Seungyoon and Jinwoo who were standing near them turned and look at the two of them with a suspicious look.

Oh crap! What did I just say?

 

 

A/N: First and foremost, I am soooooo sorry for my long hiatus for this fic. I was trying to get my momentum back for this story, because I realised i dragged on for too long and I still want to write more with regards to WIN. (If you realised, this fic is a bit of here and there from WIN, because im such a big fan of Winner, esp namsong, and I really want to write something beyond what we see during their trainee days.) I will try my very very best to keep updating this fic frequently now that I am having my holidays. Till then, big big hearts to all those reading this fic and my other fics too. Let me know what you think, folks! :)