Youngjae and Tao Hua

Hopeful Daydreams {CLOSED}

Requested by: kimchii

Scenario: Xiao Tao Hua and Yoo Youngjae are long time rivals for valedictorian. They are always arguing but during one of their intense arguements, Tao Hua accidentally confesses his feeling to him (everyone but the two already know of their mutual feelings.)


 

I hold my breath as I approach the long list of names. I exhale as my eyes crawl up to the top left hand corner.

  1. Yoo Youngjae
  2. Xiao Tao Hua

‘Damn—’

“Ha!” Someone yells into my ear, a hand slapping my shoulder. “I beat you!”

I feel my top lip quiver before snapping my head around.

Youngjae sneers and stubbles backwards as my hair whip his face. After recomposing himself he scoffs, “I never knew you were such a sore loser.”

We have been at this ever since we entered high school or maybe even earlier. Every exam is not just a test but a competition—no, it is a battle to see which out of the two of us will get first place. Every other student is not even in the question. Though I hate to admit it, ever since Youngjae moved to Seoul from Uijeongbu my chances of being valedictorian are being threatened. At the top of every results list would either be Youngjae or I, and obviously this time it was not me.

“I was sick during that exam,” I retort, “If I wasn’t I would have definitely won!”

Youngjae rolls his eyes. “You were well enough to act cocky before the exam,” he snickers.

I frown and punch his shoulder, “I was sick out of my mind!” I yell. Other students checking their results flinch, those who were already listening into our conversation lift their brows, expecting this to happen like usual.

I frown, irritation itching my mind. Usually I would not be so bothered but the last few exams I have been losing and that has been hurting my pride, not to mention the reason why is pathetic.

I lift my head and scrunch my nose at my rival. He stares down at me with a lop-sided grin. Our last exam for this year is in this afternoon—it will be the tie breaker and will decide who will be the top student. Last year it was Youngjae.

“I’ll win this time!” I bark at him.

Youngjae laughs and goes to ruffle my hair. I swiftly step aside.

“Bite me!” I growl before spinning around and once again put the extra effort into whip my hair in his face. He dodges this time.

I can feel the odd looks and faintly hear him chuckle as I storm off.

  

“You can turn over your papers, you have three hours.”

I turn the page of my papers and skim through the questions. I swiftly look through the whole exam before attempting any questions. Just in case I run out of time I’ll know where my strong areas are, though it’s unlikely I won’t finish.

Before being ‘rivals,’ Youngjae and I were friends—’ I think as I read a question. ‘It’s not like we aren’t anymore but we did acknowledge each other prior. We argue a lot but it’s not to say we do not get along, maybe we just get along too well?’

I fill in circles of the answer sheet. My hand carefully fills option A—or maybe it’s C? I grumble irritably and erase my answer. I quickly read through the question again and rework it. I think it is C but my last three answers were also C.

I frown and circle the things I’m unsure of before flipping to the next page, reasoning to myself that I can always go back. ‘Pay attention. Don’t let him get to your head!’

I nonchalantly read the next question.

‘Youngjae lives across the street from me and is constantly being praised by my parents. Not only can his grades challenge mine, he can also sing and dance and do various other things I can’t do. So why are my feelings so confused—’

I grimace as my mind blanks. What’s the other log law again?’ I think and flick through the following pages in search of some kind of clue, ‘How can I forget something so basic…’

Why am I so distracted by Youngjae—why is he always bothering my thoughts?’

I shake my head in attempt to throw him out of my mind. I grumble as the thoughts latch on to me and instinctively snap my head to the side. Youngjae leans over his desk, his brows furrowed in concentration. His eyes switch from the test papers to the answers sheet, his hand gliding swiftly between the two.

“Xia Tao Hua!”

I jolt and immediately turn back to the front. ‘Shi—’

“This is an exam!” the teacher barks.

I was then called outside for a good scolding. The teacher said I was ‘not an exception’ and that she was ‘utterly disappointed.’

That was the first time I ever failed.

 

“Tao Hua!” Youngjae calls as I trudge away from class. The class isn't over yet so why is he following me? 

I purse my lips, cursing in my mind. I can’t talk to him right now. I can’t deal with him just yet.

“Tao Hua!” he calls again, his voice clearer, nearer.

“Go back to class!” I yell without looking back.

I speed up my pace, my lips tightening as I squeeze my eyes. I feel his hand grasp my shoulder like it did this morning but this time I instantly shrug it off.

He calls my name again, a harshness to the tip of his tongue. He grasps my forearm, this time I turn around, ready to swing at him, cutting him off before he can say my name again. Of course he has better reaction skills than me—

“Why?!” I shriek as he dodges my first attack.

He scowls as he dodges my following attacks, “C-calm down!”

I don’t stop trying to hit him. After each failed attempt, the pain just wedges deeper into the pit of my stomach. I feel the cries rip through my lungs and yank at my tongue. My tears are shaking behind my eyes, swinging violently with my body. “WHY?!” I yell.

Students from the surrounding classes look out their windows to watch us admist their lessons. “Wait just—” Youngjae looks around us frantically, his line of vision clashing with others in every direction. Hastily he takes my wrist and drags me behind the school building.

I stare at his back. I can see the tenseness. 'It’s not fair. Nothing’s fair when it comes to him.'

 

Youngjae comes to a halt once we’re away from any classrooms. He takes a moment staring dramatically into the distance before turning around to face me. His brows are already knit together and his mouth is scowling yet something else lingers behind his eyes.

“What’s wrong with you?!” he bellows.

I puff out my chest and go to hit him again. “It’s all your fault!” I cry. I’m afraid if I say anything more I’ll let it all out. He doesn’t dodge this time, instead he grabs my wrist.

“Tell me, how is this my fault?” he says gruffly as he throws my closed fists back at me.

I glare at him, trying to read what’s written in his expression. We argue often but this isn’t the same. My anger wavers. He blinks and the look in his eyes changes. Soft. Gentle. Worried.

He goes to reach out for me but I instinctively shift backwards. His eyes are still on mine. They wander around me as if he can find out what's wrong in the air surrounding me. I feel like my words are yanked out from underneath me by his expression and I blurt it all out without a filter.

“It’s all you fault!” I cry out again, “If you weren’t so stupid you—you—!! If it weren’t for you I could have focused on the exam! Why do you always have to be in my head?! I’m supposed to despise you! You’re better at me at everything! So tell me why the only problem I’m stuck on is you?!”

I said it. Raw and straight-forward. There's no turning back.

I’m breathing heavily. He stares at me in shock. I can feel my chest rise and fall. I take a deep breath and swallow. My gaze drifts to the ground like the autumn leaves beneath our feet.

“Tao Hua.”

His voice is soft and tender, said as if my name’s the most beautiful song. By now you think I’d be sick of hearing him call me but no—I get more addicted every time.

I feel his hand on my shoulder as he gently yet firmly pulls me towards his chest. I stumble into him as a crumbling mess. His embrace is warm and comforting and I can hear his muffled voice as I’m securely tucked into the nook of his neck. His chest rises and falls evenly, like the smooth bass to my drumming heart.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbles into my hair.

My gaze flickers around though I can barely see anything above his shoulders. He’s never felt so tall and safe. My arms hesitantly wrap around him.

“N-no,” I stammer. I can hardly hear myself over my heartbeat but I’m afraid the tremble in my voice will become more apparent if I raise it. So I whisper. “I was just—”

He squeezes me tighter and I feel like there’s no need for words.

“You don’t have to explain,” he says.

After a moment I pull away. “I-I failed,” I murmur to the ground.

I hear him chuckle, “Hey, so did I,” he reminds me.

I frown and look up at him. “Why did you walk out of the exam after me?”

Youngjae smiles nervously and rubs the back of his neck. He shrugs but answers anyway. “Because it’d be no fun to win without a fight."

 


A/N: you probably forgot you ever requested this... sorry it took so long. I've been caught up in uni (and still am but I felt like writing.) I hope you enjoy this! by the way... they're coming back soon! ; u ;