Nine

Not So Average

"What did you just say?" Sehun blinked. All the guys looked at me like I was crazy.

"She's here." I gestured to the vicinity of the resturant. 

"How do you know?" Kai asked. 

"Look. Ha Yeon posted a picture 17 minutes ago."

"So? What does that have to do with anything?" Tao asked. They were all looking at me like I was crazy. 

I lifted my phone to show them the picture. "Does this look familiar to you?" I pointed at the menu in the picture. All of the guys immediately grabbed their menus and flipped to the exact same page as the one in Ha Yeon's picture. 

"Holy crap. But how do you know she's with Soo Min?" Suho said as he grabbed my phone to take a closer look at the image. 

"I wasn't sure at first either, but Ha Yeon uploaded that MV reaction video before we left, and she filmed it with Soo Min. I'm just hoping that she's with her." 

To tell you the truth, I don't know why I wanted to see Kim Soo Min so badly again. Although I did forget about her in the past 2 years that have gone by in a flash, the minute I saw her face again, everything flooded back. That same feeling of wanting to protect her rushed back to me. My heart started beating faster whenever I think back to the time I first saw her. Yeah, I didn't really know her that well, and it's not like I liked her, but something about her is always peaking my curiosity.

"Yah, if she's here, why don't we go find her?" Xiumin looked at me. 

Lay patted me on the back. "We'll search around down here, D.O, Kai, Sehun, go upstairs with Chanyeol to see if you could spot her."

"What if she doesn't recognize me?" I realized this could be a very real possibility.

"Dude, she's sitting in a resturant filled with our faces. That would be pretty ridiculous." Kai laughed. I guess he was right. Soo Min would want to see me just as much as I did, right?

We slowly stood from our table and split up to search both upstairs and downstairs. Adrenaline was rushing through me, and I honestly didn't know what to expect. I didn't want to get my hopes up so high and then be disappointed if she wasn't really here. 

I walked upstairs swiftly. We didn't run so we wouldn't look like idiots or draw attention. The upper level of the resturant was pretty full at this point too. I glanced around to see if I could spot either Ha Yeon or Soo Min, but mostly Ha Yeon, since she was the one who had posted the picture. Even if Soo Min wasn't here, Ha Yeon would definitely give me a way to contact her. It was kind of hard to see anyone's faces, because I could only see a person sitting on the left side of the booths. 

As I glanced around one last time, I spotted the waitress that had been serving us. She was coming out of a little area that had big glass windows. I told the guys to look around while I went to go talk to the waitress. It would be a long shot, but maybe there was a possibility she was serving Ha Yeon and Soo Min's table too. 

 

"Excuse me." I tapped her on the shoulder. She whirled around and looked surprised. 

"Oh, hi. Do you need something?" she smiled.

"I was just wondering if you have seen a girl today with ombre pink hair, about yey tall?" I gestured approximately Ha Yeon's height.

She looked confused but then thought about it for a minute. "Uhhhhhhhhhhhh..... let's see." She looked around at the tables and then her eyes widened. "Oh! Yeah, I have! Her hair is actually really cute, I like it. Why are you looking for her?"

"Uh, she's a friend of mine I just want to say hi real quick before I head back downstairs."

"Oh, that's coolio with me then." She pointed over to the area she had just walked out of. "She's in that room with the big glass windows." She pointed with her finger. I said thank you and bowed before swiftly walking over. 

I walked through the opening, and scanned for familiar faces, finally landing on soft gentle eyes.

I almost had a heart attack. There she was. I didn't even know what I was going to say to her, I didn't know how to approach her. But my mind and body took over. It was time for my few seconds of fun. I casually walked over to their table and sat down next to Ha Yeon, so I could directly face Soo Min.

They both look surprised and Ha Yeon nearly pushed me out of my seat. 

"Excuse me, why are you just sitting down with us? Do we know you?"

Soo Min was furrowing her brows at me and I found it to be hilariously cute.

"I don't know, do you know me?" I chuckled. I still had my mask and sunglasses on, so that's why they hadn't been able to recognize me just yet. 

Soo Min raised her eyebrows at me. I didn't think she'd be so direct or agressive, but she surprised me by reaching over and pulling down my mask and ripping the sunglasses off of my face. 

"Park Chanyeol, I'd recognize that voice anywhere, who are you fooling?" Soo Min smirked. My jaw dropped and I stared into her eyes. How did she recognize my voice? That's impossible.

Ha Yeon looked at me and then back at Soo Min several times. "What the heck? Soo Min, did you know he was here or something? Is there something I'm missing? Wait, if you're here, is the rest of EXO here too?!" she screamed.

I covered quickly before she could say anymore. I didn't want anyone else to see that I was here or we would get mobbed and I wouldn't even have the chance to talk to Soo Min.

"Yeah, how did you know it was me?" I was still genuinely surprised. 

"I told you. I'd recognize that deep, husky voice anywhere. No one has a voice like that." she pointed at me and smiled. I honestly didn't expect Soo Min to be so calm about all of this. I mean it's been 2 years since I've seen her. 

"How have you been?" I just wanted to have a casual conversation with her now. The rest of the guys finally walked in through the opening, and saw us sitting at the table. 

"Soo Min!" D.O smiled. He sat down next to her. "We've been looking for you everywhere." We filled up the seats in the booth, the 12 of us looking like we planned to hang out. 

"There was a search party for me? Awesome." She sipped her lemonade. She was acting like this had been our millionth time hanging out together. She wasn't freaking out or anything, but Ha Yeon definitely was. 

"We never thought we'd see you guys again!" she jumped up and down in her seat. 

Chen looked at Soo Min. "We didn't think we'd see you guys again either."

"But, to be fair we kind of forgot about you-" Kai started. I kicked his shin under the table and gave him a face. He then continued to say, "I mean, hey it's great to see you guys again." He made a face back at me.

We spent another 2 hours at the resturant, just talking. It was filled with laughter, scoffs, and weird conversations. I didn't expect it to turn out this way, I thought Soo Min would've been more surprised, but she seemed pretty relaxed about the whole thing. Eventually we were all done eating, so we paid for our food and walked out of the resturant. 

"Do you guys want to come see where we live??" Baekhyun asked them.

"Uh, isn't that a little private?" Ha Yeon asked. 

"As long as you don't tell anyone." Tao put a finger to his lips with a 'shhh' and a wink, making Ha Yeon swoon. Soo Min laughed and hit Ha Yeon in the arm.

"Guys, it's okay. You're celebrities, we wouldn't want any scandals forming would we? Especially with average people like us." 

I frowned and walked up to her and put my hand on her shoulder. "You guys are not average. We're all friends here, right?" 

"That has nothing to do with the fact that we don't live the same kind of life." She gently took my hand and removed it from her shoulder. 

"We'll be heading home now. It was really funny and great to see you guys again. Maybe this is the last time, huh?" 

I walked closer to her and grabbed her phone out of her hand. "Hey!" 

"Oh no, I have been looking for you for a long time, there's no way I'm going on that wild goose chase again." I punched my number into her phone before returning it to her. 

She took her phone back and laughed. "You looked for me?"

I felt my cheeks turning slightly red. "B-because you got yourself into trouble back then, how do I know you're going to even take care of yourself?"

"That was one time, and I'm all better now, as you can see." She wiggled her arms and moved her head, dancing funny, to show that her previous injuries were all gone. "See? Give me your phone." She held out her hand. I pulled it out of my pocket and gave it to her. 

"If you're gonna put your number into my phone, I get to put mine into your phone." She quickly typed before speaking again. "Besides, I don't usually text people first." She handed my phone back to me and I smirked at her witty comment. "There. No more going on a wild goose chase to find me, okay? I'm right here now." 

She grabbed Ha Yeon's arm and dragged her along before turning to wave at us again. "Bye, EXO!"

"OOOOOOOOOOOOO." All the guys said in unison. "You got Soo Min's number!" Suho patted my back. "I'm so proud."

"Shut up." I smiled at my phone and we headed back to our dorm to end our day off. 

 


 

I hadn't talked to Ha Yeon the whole walk back to our house. I only listened to her babble on and on about EXO.

Once we got back to the house, I swiftly walked upstairs and into Ha Yeon's room, falling back first on her bed, and letting out a huge sigh. Ha Yeon finally noticed my not so talkative mood. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

I laid there for a few more moments before sitting up, grabbing Ha Yeon's hand and looking her straight in the eyes. "A-am I okay?"

"Soo Min, what's wrong?!" She was immediately fully focused on what I had to say. 

"It's just that.... I....."

"What, what, what?" Ha Yeon pouted.

I took a deep breath and finally said what I had to say. "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP." I jumped up and twirled around the room, bringing Ha Yeon along with me. 

"Ow! Is that what you had to say?!" She started to hit me repeatedly on my arm. 

"YES! Ha Yeon, you had no idea how much I wanted to fangirl back there. I mean, when we first met them back in California, I was kind of restricted so it was hard to really communicate. And before you ask, no, I didn't instantly know it was Chanyeol hiding under the mask and sunglasses." I took a deep breath before continuing. "I just got scared, like he sat down with us because he had been stalking us, so I decided to take a chance and rip off his disguise, and let me tell you, my heart was racing so fast when I saw that it was Chanyeol. Out of all things, who knew that we would ever see them again." 

"Wow. So that whole time you were playing hard to get?"

"Hard to get? I just wanted to keep myself calm. I mean, we met EXO again, how could someone not freak out?"

"You know what'll make the ending to this day a lot better?" Ha Yeon raised an eyebrow at me.

"Nothing can make this day better, but you can go ahead and try me." I sat back down and faced her. "

"You, my friend," she poked me before finishing her sentence. "have the Park Chanyeol's phone number." 

I smiled at that fact. Yes, I now had Park Chanyeol's number. Why he gave it to me when he barely even knew me, was beyond me. I sighed and held my phone to my chest. 

"As much as I'm a fan of EXO, I can't talk to or text him. Or any of the others for that matter." 

"What? Why not?"

"I know I have his number, but.... If I texted him, all that would happen is simple conversation. And.. this is never going to happen, but if it did get any further than that, I can't even think about having any kind of relationship, let alone with a celebrity."

"Don't overthink things. Just do what your gut is telling you. Plus, he gave you his number first, he obviously wants to talk to you."

"It's just because he wants to protect me, like he said. I'm a damsel in distress, didn't you know?" I laughed as I flipped my hair.

"Soo Min, we've seriously met EXO, Park Chanyeol gave you his number, what's the harm in trying?"

"I told you. He's a celebrity. I'm just...... me. And, you know I don't want to get hurt again...." I said the last part quietly, feeling my heart shatter a little bit just thinking of the memory.

"No you-"

"Just because he gave me his number, doesn't mean anything, and you know it." I stood up and walked to the door. "I'm going to bed now, I'll see you tomorrow morning, goodnight Ha Yeon." I waved and smiled slightly. 

Ha Yeon sighed before waving back at me. "Goodnight Soo Min."

I exited her room and closed the door behind me, walking a few steps before leaning on the hallway wall and sliding down. Now I couldn't stop thinking about the memory that never left my mind. The memory that shatters my heart again and again everytime I think about.

 

The memory that has broken my ability to love again. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

DUN DUN DUN. So it's revealed that the bubbly and cute Soo Min has a wall up when it comes to love. If you want to know the details, I'm sure I'll write about the backstory at some point. I hope you guys enjoyed today's update! Love you!

XOXO, 

Mae