One

Not So Average

"Yah, Kim Soo Min! Why wouldn't you go to our senior ball? You're in America for this one year, live a little!" Ha Yeon yelled at me. I covered my ears and pushed her over playfully. 

"If you hadn't noticed, I'm not really one to go to those kinds of things Ha Yeon."

"This is why no one knows us! We never do anything besides talk to who we already know. Let's expand our social circle!!"

"What's wrong with that?"

"Look, we're average here and you know it! We're only here for a year so why not make a big impression that'll last when we leave, huh?" 

Everything Ha Yeon is saying, is true. A couple years ago my parents and I decided that coming to America as a foreign exchange student would really benefit me and help me with my English. The same situation happened with Lee Ha Yeon, my bestfriend. So here we were in America a year and a half later, almost done with the school year. 

"What's so special about senior ball? We live without that kind of stuff in Korea, what's the big deal if we miss it here?"

"What's the big deal? Our parents sent us here to experience the American life, not just learn the language! And we're even pretty good at that too! Please, please, please, please, please, please, pleaaaaaaaaa-"

"Okay fine! Just stop begging like that okay?"

"YAY! I love you! And guess what?? I already got our dresses!!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She knew I was going to give in and she already bought dresses for us to wear. 

"You already bought us dresses?..... YAH!" I hit her repeatedly until my arm got tired. "How do you even know that I'll like whatever you got me? And another thing, I don't even have a date, we'll only get the TRUE ball experience if we have dates, which we do not."

"Hey, don't try to get out of this now. And look, this is your dress. I know you'll love it because I'm your best friend, and I know you." Ha Yeon said with a smirk. She unlocked her phone and showed me a picture of the dress. 

My eyes widened. "This is beautiful Ha Yeon! How did you get this for me? It must've been expensive!" I frowned thinking about how much Ha Yeon could've spent just to get me this dress.

"It wasn't expensive. And hey, I owed you anyway for all the times I borrowed money for food, right? So...... we're going to ball?"

"Of course!" I laughed. "I think the dress swayed me. I'm totally thinking HSM3 now! Well, minus the cute ball date aka Zac Efron."

"In your dreams, Soo Min. C'mon, ball is in 3 days, we're so last minute, let's get everything figured out TODAY."

"haha, if you say so." 

 

 


 

I stepped off of the airplane and dragged my luggage along with me as I went through the walkway. 

"WOO! California baby!" Baekhyun yelled.

"Yeah! But what part of California are we in, exactly?" Suho questioned.

"Sacramento, the capitol of California."  Kyungsoo said with confidence.

"Whoa, since when were you so smart D.O?" Kai asked him.

"I'm not," he pointed at the banner hanging overhead as we walked past. "It says 'Welcome to Sacramento! The capitol of California."

"Ohhhhhhh.." the rest of the boys chimed in. I stopped walking when I realized I didn't know where I was going. "Hey guys, where are we supposed to be heading?"

"Our manager said he'd have a driver pick us up in a limo or something." As Sehun said this, I looked over and saw EXO written in big letters on a piece of paper some guy (which I assume was our driver) was holding.

"Hello, are you our driver for the day?" I asked him.

"Yes, sir. Actually for your whole stay here. Welcome to America, and to California. Don't worry I speak Korean so don't be pressured to speak English."

"Hah, that's a relief, I'm not very good at English." I sighed with relief without even realizing it. 

"So you guys must be EXO then, do you have specific names?" He chuckled.

"Kim Jongin, but you can call me Kai, nice to meet you."

" Do Kyungsoo, but you can call me D.O."

"Oh Sehun, you can call me Sehun."

"Byun Baekhyun."

"Suho."

They all shook hands with the driver and I was last to introduce myself. "Park Chanyeol, but just call me Channie." He looked at me surprised. "Haha, just kidding, call me Chanyeol."


 

"So where are we headed exactly? And I never got the chance to ask, but, why are we in Sacramento? I mean, I'm sure it'll be a great experience, it's just kind of.... random." D.O said to break the silence in the van. 

"Yeah that's a good question. Why here?" Suho chimed in.

"Guys, you know we have to start somewhere to even think about doing a whole tour in America. This is just a test run, sort of. We can do this okay?" I sighed. They ask way too many questions. 

We finally pulled up to the hotel we were staying at and we all jumped out of the van.

"Whoa." Baekhyun whistled. This is one nice hotel. 

"Whooaaaaa~" the rest of the boys sighed in awe. I even found myself being impressed by the nice hotel. "Not bad. I could get used to this." I looked up at the hotel name. "Hyatt Regency." I nodded in approval. 

We entered the hotel and expected a mob of fans to come swarm us, but to our surprise there wasn't anyone that noticed us at all. We were just some normal guys here, and it felt nice. 

"At least no one knows who we are in this hotel, right?" Suho said.

"Yeah, it's a good thing for now. But hopefully everyone will know us by the time we're done here. I mean, that is the reason that we're here, to widen our fanbase and open up a global tour." Kai looked at us. 

"Yup. Let's have fun, but we can't get distracted too much." Sehun said as we walked up to the check-in counter. I was about to attempt English to check-in when our driver already started for me.

"Hello. We would like to check EXO in." he said to the receptionist. She looked up and widened her eyes. 

"Oh my gosh, you're EXO!" she giggled. We all scratched the back of our heads and laughed. "Oh, we didn't think anyone knew us here." Kyungsoo said. 

"Of course at least one person would know you! And that's me! This is so cool, I can't believe you guys are standing in front of me, in America! I thought I'd have to go to Korea one day just to see you!" 

"Shhhh." Baekhyun said putting a finger to her lips. She blushed and gave us six key cards, one for each of us. 

She cleared before speaking again. "Well, let me know if you need anything then," she whispered the last part. "EXO!" she giggled again. I nodded and smiled as we walked away. 

"Well, at least we know we have one fan here. That's a start." Kai said. I sighed. "That is really good, actually." We were about to enter the elevator when our driver stopped us. 

"Here's my card, if you guys need a ride anywhere, just give me a call. Also, since your manager isn't here for today, he told me to remind you that you have a mini concert tomorrow night. Just a couple of songs for an event that's happening in the ballroom Saturday night. He will be here tomorrow, but start getting prepared." 

"Ok, thank you." I said. He bowed before walking back to the front entrance. 

"What event is going on on Saturday?" Suho asked after he was gone.

"I don't know for sure, but I'm sure manager will let us know once he gets here tomorrow." D.O said as he walked into the elevator. 


 

"This senior ball better be like HSM3 style or I'm leaving." I yelled at Ha Yeon through the door as I struggled to put on the dress that she bought me.

"Soo Min! How could you think that everything will be like a movie? The real world isn't like that and you know it."

"Yah, can't you just pretend and tell me 'Duh, Soo Min, it'll totally be like HSM3 minus the hunky Zac Efron." I pouted.

I could practically hear Ha Yeon sigh so hard she might've blown my house down. "Duh, Soo Min, it'll totally be like HSM3 minus the hunky Zac Efron!" I could tell she was smiling so hard could fall off if she kept it up. I walked out of the bathroom to show Ha Yeon the dress.

"Thank you for letting me live my small dream." I said dramatically. I spun around and giggled as I showed off the dress. I had to admit, it was a beautiful dress, simple yet elegant, now it was the only reason I wanted to go to ball, to look fancy for one night before returning to my average life. 

"Wow, Soo Min, you look pretty for oncee! I knew that dress would look good on you!" Ha Yeon squealed. I immediately spun around and threw a pillow at her. 

"Yah, are you saying I'm not pretty?"

"I'm just kidding. You're my bestfriend, I have to make you feel bad sometimes, right?" She laughed. We both stood in front of the mirror and I smiled. We both looked like princesses and I couldn't wait for tomorrow. Ha Yeon was right, if we were only going to be in America for a few more months, why not do everything for the teenage girl in America experience?

It's a Friday night and senior ball is tomorrow. The closer we get to tomorrow, the more excited I get. I get butterflies in my stomach thinking about it. I just imagine having an amazing night, well hopefully. We took off our dresses and hung them up after having a mini fashion show.

"So, do you think we'll end up slow dancing with some dreamy guy at our school?"

I scoffed. "Most of the dreamy guys at our school already have dates, and I barely know any of the other guys at our school, I don't think that'll happen."

Ha Yeon sat up and looked at me. " Hey, why can't you play along and tell me, 'Of course we're gonna find a dreamy guy at ball."

I laughed realizing that she was using what I said earlier against me. "Of course we're gonna find a dreamy guy at ball!" I smiled.

"Really?!" she laughed and hit me, pretending to be super excited.

"Really." I hit her back, resulting in a pillow fight.