Fourteen

Not So Average

"Ugh, my stupid phone! It's being so, so...." I couldn't find the word to explain how irritated I was with my phone.

"Stupid?" Ha Yeon laughed at me. 

I slouched down in my seat and looked out the window before returning to my phone and pressing send for the billionth time. I had to send a text to Chanyeol letting him now we were on our way to SM.

-Be there in 5 minutes! (:

After it finally sent, I sighed and turned to Ha Yeon.

"I really need to get a new phone."

"Yeah, you really do." 

"That's not what you were supposed to say!"

"What? Did you write a script for my life or something/ I was just agreeing with you, ya dummy!"

"Oh, true."

After about 20 more minutes, which is way more than what I had anticipated, we arrived at SM Entertainment. I looked at my phone to check if Chanyeol had texted back, but I didn't get a message.

We walked into the building, and I was amazed at the sight. The lobby was simple yet modern and somewhat extravagant. 

"This is so nice." I breathed.

"This is just the lobby. Just wait until we get to all the other floors." Ha Yeon said as we entered the elevator. "It was floor 16, right?"

I checked my messages from Chanyeol this morning. "Yup, 16!"

"Huh, that's weird." Ha Yeon was rapidly pushing a single button. 

"What are you doing? Just press it!" 

"It won't go, see??" She pressed the button for '16' a bunch of times, and it still didn't light up.

"Let me do it." I rapidly started pressing the button, and my finger slipped to the button next to it, which lit up with a single press.

"Well, I guess we're going to floor fifteen then." 

"First my phone, now the elevator. I think everything hates me."

"Probably." Ha Yeon laughed at me.

"Wow, thanks, I love my fans."

"And I'm your number one fan!!" Ha Yeon did a fake cheer but quickly stopped when I hit her on the arm.

The elevator doors opened, revealing a hallway with many doors on each side. 

"What floor is this supposed to be for?"

Ha Yeon walked out of the elevator and walked thorugh the hallway, looking through the doors.

"Soo Min! Look at this!"

"Ha Yeon, get back here right now!"

"No, come look at this, it's amazing."

I sighed and walked over to her, glancing in. "Ha Yeon we really shouldn't be walking around here when-" my mouth dropped open when I saw the inside of the room.

"This is amazing."

"Told you!" Ha Yeon smiled. She ran down the rest of the hallway and looked through every door, finally stopping at the last one to look at me. "They're all the same. Come on, Soo Min!"

"I don't think we should be-" she walked into the last room before I could even finish my sentence. I sighed and followed her, looking behind me to see if anyone was there. I did not want to get caught. I walked into the room and shut the door quietly, and spoke in a hushed whisper.

"We really shouldn't be here, Ha Yeon."

"You don't have to whisper, I'm pretty sure all of these recording booths are sound proof." Ha Yeon spoke normally, and plopped herself down on the spinny chair next to all the expensive equipment.

"Don't get near the soundboard, I don't want you to break anything."

Ha Yeon scoffed. "Than you mom, but I know what a soundboard is too, and I won't break it, don't worry." She looked around before turning back to me, raising an eyebrow. "Go in there."

She pointed at the actual recording booth, a glass window seperated that and the room we were currently standing in. 

"No," I crossed my arms, I'm not here for that, so let's go." I slowly walked towards the door expecting Ha Yeon to follow behind me. I was halfway out the door when a familiar tune started playing. 'Almost is Never Enough' by Ariana Grande started to play, the instrumental version. 

I closed the door without saying another word and mindlessly walked into the recording booth. I was already familiar with recording in a booth like this, so everything just came to me naturally. I started singing when the song began, letting my mind carry me to what felt like another dimension whenever I sang. 

*start at beginning, go until 1:56* 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ReoQuPmHDg

At the end of the song, I slowly opened my eyes and saw Ha Yeon smiling at me. She started clapping and I could see her eyes glistening a little bit. I felt a couple of tears drop from my face too, and I quickly wiped them away.

Why was I tearing up?

1. Singing songs like that really got me emotionally, I put my all into singing whenever I did. 
2. That song....... that song was our song. (Our) song, meaning Danny and I. 

I guess that's why I mindlessly walked into the booth when I heard the song. I wasn't crying because I missed Danny and because it was our song. I was crying because this song meant so much to me in my heart, and the person I shared it with has broken my heart. And.... Danny was also, kind of the person who encouraged me to sing, and I always recieved a lot of support for it since then. After my whole heartbreak, it didn't really matter to me to sing as passionately as I used to when I started. 

I walked out of the recording booth and sat down next to Ha Yeon. 

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think so," I wiped my face once more to make sure there were no more tears. "We should go now. I don't know if the guys are waiting for us or not." I looked at my phone and I still hadn't recieved a message from Chanyeol. 

"We can just take the stairs one level up." 

"Okay." We stood up and Ha Yeon hugged me. "I miss your singing, Soo Min." 

I looked at her and thought for a second. "I've missed it too."

We walked out of the room and headed to the other side of the hall to find the stairs.

 


 

I didn't know what to think. I stared at Soo Min singing so beautifully. I couldn't really process what was happening. I was doing some kind of happy dance mentally. 

Yeah, I am definitely in like with Kim Soo Min. 

Maybe she's not so average like she keeps saying she is. She's not average in anyway, or in any aspect. She's more than average, she's.... perfect.

I didn't even realize that Kai was still crouching next to me until he nudged me in the arm. 

"Whoa, dude. Soo Min is.... whoa."

"I know."

I mindlessly stared at her. She had walked out of the booth and was now talking to Soo Min. 

"We gotta go." Kai pulled my arm and dragged me down the hall.

"What, why?" I looked back and saw Soo Min and Ha Yeon walking out of the room. "I-"

Kai opened another studio booth door and both of us went inside, peering out the glass window on the door as Soo Min and Ha Yeon passed by and eventually disappeared from our view. 

We opened the door and walked out, and I realized I was holding my breath. I exhaled deeply. "Wow."

"I don't even have words for what just happened." Kai said as he walked towards the stairs.

"Uh, same here."

"Let's get back to our rehersal room so they don't wonder where we are when they get there."

"Good idea." 

We walked slowly up the stairs, not wanting to run into Soo Min and Ha Yeon. As we reached our rehearsal room, I peered in through the door and saw that they were sitting on the couch laughing. 

Soo Min looked so carefree. Breathe, Chanyeol.

I opened the door, and Kai walked in behind me. I pretended to be surprised. "Soo Min! Ha Yeon! You guys are here!" 

"Yeah, we got here a few moments ago. But you never texted me back." She said as she held up her phone. 

I was genuinely shocked. "Yeah I did!"

"Ugh it must be my stupid phone again." She looked up to the ceiling and yelled. "Can I not even have the previlege of recieving text messages??" She shook both her arms in the air and let out an exasperated sigh. 

I laughed at her. 

"Do you need a new phone? I can get you one." Baekhyun stood up quickly.

Soo Min's eyes widened at the sudden gesture. "O-oh, no of course not I could never ask for something like that from you."

"It's not a problem though." He pouted.

"No Baekhyun, I'm fin, but thanks for your kind offer." She smiled brightly. 

"Fine, can we at least buy you food then?" Xiumin quickly said. 

"Uh. I'd like that." She giggled along with Ha Yeon. 

"But first, we need to rehearse a little more. Ready to see this, guys?"

"As ready as we'll ever be." Ha Yeon gave a thumbs up.

We got in our positions and played 'Exodus' from our new album, dancing along with the choreo we had made. I was so focused, forgetting that they were there for just a moment. 

When it ended, there was a small moment of silence, and then immense applause coming from 2 pairs of hands. 

"THAT WAS SO GREAT." Ha Yeon cheered.

"I can't believe I just witnessed that. I must be dreaming." Soo Min started to pinch herself and slap her cheeks.

I smiled brightly, along with the others. 

Man, she's so cute. 

 

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey guys! Just a small update for today, if you were dying to know who was in the recording booth, there it is! Sorry it's short, I have homework I have to do. *cries for life* 

Love you all! Don't forget to comment, upvote, and subscribe!

XOXO, 

Mae