Twenty

Not So Average

"Soo Min! Wait!" 

I kept on walking, not looking back at the voice calling my name. "I want to be alone!"

"Stop being a drama queen!"

At those words, I stopped in my tracks and turned around to face Ha Yeon. "Excuse me?"

Her face was immediately filled regret, but she continued to talk anyways.

"Please, just stop walking away. Let Chanyeol and Kai explain," she pleaded.

"Hah, yeah sure, I'll let them explain once you start explaining yourself. You did all of this behind my back," I shook my head at her. "I told you yesterday that I wanted to keep this a secret and I didn't want them to find out. Were you a part of this the whole time? Is that why you got me to sing in that recording booth?"

"No! I just got involved yesterday! I wasn't in it with anyone, I just.... once I saw that you had the chance to sign with SM Entertainment and you refused to let anyone know, I had to step in. How could you pass an opportunity like this up?"

"That's not your decision to make! Of course I would've taken given this whole thing a chance if I really wanted to, but I don't! I don't belong here, I'm just... me. And that fact alone is a huge reason as to why I can't do this. I can't believe you would deliberately do this to me," tears started streaming down my face but my tone was still angry.

"What'd you do to get all of them to realize it was me anyways?" I scoffed. But mid-sentence, I realized that they must've been listening somehow when I was in the dressing room. Now a lot more makes sense. "Oh my god."

"I-I'm sorry it was the only way to get them to hear your voice since you wouldn't voluntarily do it yourself in front of them."

"Why do you want this so bad for me, Ha Yeon. Even if I did take up the offer, it would be me coming into SM, not you. Did you think you could get in to just because I would?"

She looked at me with hurt eyes and took a couple moments before speaking. "Oh, I'm so sorry that all I want is the best for my bestfriend," she spoke with a sarcastic tone which made my heart cringe and I wanted to bawl right then and there. "I just wanted to give you the opportunity to move on and start a new chapter in your life. I wanted you to find sooner or later that just because Danny was the one who got you to start singing, you don't need him to continue doing so."

I didn't have a comeback for her words. Ha Yeon was only trying to look out for me, but I was just frustrated because everything happened so fast and she was caught up in all of it, and I blamed her.

"I-"

"Fine. Forget it. If you think I just went behind your back, I didn't. I was just trying to help you realize what you couldn't realize yourself. Don't call me if you need help figuring things out, because apparently all I can do is lie." She spat out her last words at me and walked back into the auditorium. I stared at the figure walking away from me, and felt my knees becoming weak. Did I just lose my best friend? Over what? 

I realized how stupid and irrational I was being once she was out of sight. I slumped down on the wall and slid down to the floor, putting my head in my knees, crying to no end. I didn't know what to do now. Would Ha Yeon ever talk to me again? 

I don't know how long I was sitting there bawling my eyes out, but it seemed like a while. I must've been extremely numb at this point, because I didn't even realize another figure crouch down to sit next to me.

"Soo Min, c'mon get up please. I'm sorry." The voice obviously didn't belong to Ha Yeon, but I didn't know exactly who it did belong to. I looked up slightly, to find a mess of brown hair next to me. His arm rubbed my back and stared at me. 

"Kai." 

"Hey," he smiled.

I sniffled. "What are you sorry for? You didn't do anything."

"I sort of did contribute to this whole 'mess.'" He used air quotes to emphasize the fact that he didn't think the situation was a mess at all.

"You don't have to rub it in, I know I was a drama queen back there," I puffed out a sigh and stared at the wall. "I just, didn't know what to think. This past day has gone by so fast, with so many things happening every second. I guess what just happened made me so confused and frustrated that I took it out on everyone, especially my bestfriend." I frowned. "Or I guess, my ex bestfriend."

Kai chuckled at my words. "No, I get it. But we did push you into something when you didn't even know about it, so I'm sorry. Chanyeol felt terrible too."

There was silence before he spoke again. "And just between you and me, I talked to Ha Yeon after you and her fought."

My face immediately drooped thinking about the fight I had with Ha Yeon. "What did she say? That she hated me and never wanted to talk to me again?"

"Mmm, maybe.. maybe not?" 

I looked at him with confused eyes before dropping my head again. "So I assume she said she hated me.. Awesome." I stood up slowly and gave Kai a slight smile. "Thanks Kai, you really made me feel a lot better."

As I walked away, I felt his hand grab my wrist. What now? I whipped around to see Kai slowly trying to get onto his own two feet. 

"Soo Min, I was just kidding. Can't I joke around with you for once? Isn't that what friends do?"

"I think you and Chanyeol have 'joked' around with me enough. I'm not going to sign any contract to be with SM what made you guys think I would?"

"If you haven't noticed, you are an amazing singer. I've never heard someone sing with that kind of passion. You give me chills, even when you're not singing. Your voice is just angelic."

I blushed at his compliment but quickly shook it off. "Thank you, Kai, but I'm not cut out for that kind of life. If you haven't noticed, I'm kind of..... average."

He laughed as soon as I trailed off. "W-what? Why are you laughing at me?"

"You're anything but average, Soo Min. I don't think you would've sparked Chanyeol's curiosity if you were just 'average.' There was something he felt from just looking at you. You're not average." 

"I sparked his curiosity..?" I was confused by what Kai was telling me, but I wanted to hear more. "I-"

"And Soo Min," He walked closer to me, giving us no more than 3 inches between our bodies. "You've sparked my curiosity too."

I saw him slightly blush as he said those words. My heart was beating a million times per minute. I didn't know if I was just dreaming, or if this was really happening. 

"What?"

He blinked at me before stepping back a little. "S-sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you like that."

I looked at him for a while longer, now words being exchanged. But I soon broke the gaze and shook my head. "I should go talk to Ha Yeon, I can't believe how stupid I was just being. I yelled at her for no reason."

"Does that mean that you forgive us too?" Kai asked with puppy eyes. I chuckled lightly and looked at him. "I'll have to think about it. I really don't want to sign with SM though. I know you guys were only looking out for the best opportunity for me, and I'm thankful, but I'm not cut out for the life of an idol. I'm barely cut out for a normal and average life." 

"Chanyeol will really be heartbroken if you don't forgive him. So will I." Kai laughed. "You don't sound like you'll be heartbroken! You're laughing right now!" I punched him on the arm. He didn't say anything else but gestured towards the stage door. We walked together until we got to the door, and before he opened it, I grabbed his wrist. "I'm sorry, again. I'm a drama queen."

"That's okay. It's our fault anyways. I hope you can talk to Ha Yeon and work things out."

"I hope so too," I whispered, not even knowing if she would look at me again. When we opened the doors, I saw Ha Yeon sitting in the chair right by the door, hugging her knees.

I looked her way and frowned, tears b at the corners of my eyes. WIth strangled breathing I managed to utter her name. "H-Ha Yeon-ah...."

Ha Yeon immediately looked up, her eyes were glazed over from crying so much. Before I could get a single word out, she ran up to me and hugged me like she hadn't seen me in 5 years. "Soo Min, I'm so so sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you like that. I just want you to be noticed for your talent. You're not average in anyway and this is your chance to shine."

I didn't say anything except this, "Ha Yeon, thank you for being my best friend. I couldn't ask for anyone better to be next to me like the sister I never had." 

She gasped as she let out more tears, which led me to cry. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kai smile and walk back over to the rest of EXO. Speaking of..... I let go of Ha Yeon and wiped my tears, turning back to EXO, who still looked very stunned, and SM's CEO. 

I took a deep breath and walked back over to them, thinking my words through. "Sir, thank you so much for recognizing my talent.... but, I don't think I'm up to living the life of an idol. It's just not who I am, I'm really sorry."

He shook his head but still smiled at me. "It's a shame you won't be able to join the SM family, you're really very talented for a solo voice." I bowed and gave him a smile as well, feeling bad, yet surprised, that he was actually disappointed I wouldn't be going through becoming a trainee. I turned to the rest of EXO, and instantly met eyes with Chanyeol. When I spoke to them, I kept eye contact with him. "I'm sorry for causing a scene, please forgive me. I'm a little irrational at times, but I hope you guys won't think of me differently."

They all smiled at me and came to hug me. "We don't care if you aren't a part of SM, we just thought that if you were here we'd be able to see you more." I wanted to laugh at Baekhyun's statement, but I lived in their warm embrace before they all pulled away. 

Ha Yeon stood next to me. "Well it's been an eventful couple of hours, huh? I think we should head home." I nodded and waved goodbye to all the boys. I looked at Chanyeol and waved, as he mouthed, 'I'm sorry.' I mouthed 'it's ok' before turning around for the final time to go back home. 

 

 

When we arrived at our house, it was already dark outside. Ha Yeon and I had spent the rest of the day bonding more after we left the SM building. We'd never yelled at each other that much before, and we both felt bad. A girl's day out was definitely needed. 

As we stepped onto the porch, I noticed a big bouquet of flowers and a card on our porch swing. "Wow, that's a lot of flowers."

Ha Yeon ran over and picked them up. "I bet they're from Chanyeol! He felt really bad about everything," she frowned. I chuckled, but secretly hoped it was from Chanyeol. 

I picked up the card. It read,

'Soo Min, thank you for giving us the chance to start over. I know this doesn't hold the same meaning for you right now, but I hope it will soon. I love you.' - Danny 

I read the card over and over again, kind of not believing my own eyes. I didn't know why reading the card over again and understanding what it really meant, gave me the urge to smile. Ha Yeon saw my lips curving up slightly and she snatched the card from my hands. "SO IT IS FROM CHAN- oh," 

"It's from Danny," she breathed out.

"I know.. Ha Yeon?"

"Yeah?" She didn't look up from the card as she answered me. "I think that, I want to start talking to Danny again. After what he told me about what really happened, I knew he wasn't lying."

"You're gonna have to explain everything to me. Seriously I'm so lost as to why you would give him a second chance." I nodded as I took the bouquet and card and went inside the house. 

The rest of the night was spent explaining what Danny had told me, and why I was starting to feel the way I was feeling. 

Surprisingly, Ha Yeon was practically squealing about how cute we would be if we were a couple again, and for those hours we talked, I completely forgot about a certain someone. 

In the back of my mind, Chanyeol's face lingered, but I told myself it was nothing. Just like I've been telling myself my whole life, I'm average. 

Chanyeol deserved someone who was amazing and just as wonderful as he was. Someone who could be seen in public with him, or stand by his side when he needed it. I wasn't going to be that person. 

Not once that night was any member of EXO mentioned, and I found myself thinking that meeting EXO was like the streak of luck someone gets once in their lives. But now that it's over, it's time to move on. 

Right?


A/N: OMG IT'S BEEN LIKE 7 MONTHS SINCE I UPDATED!!!!!
Hi guys! Since this update is so late, it might be best to read back a couple of chapters to remember the plot, if not the whole story haha. 

I thought I should at least try to finish this since it was my first actually worked on fic, haha. 

WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL BECOME OF SOO MIN AND CHANYEOL?
Soo Min is thinking about giving Danny another chance after starting over... what do you think?? hmmmm

I'll update soon! Comments are always appreciated!