Eighteen

Not So Average

I did not want to do this. 

I did not want to be here.

But here we are.

Standing in front of SM Entertainment yet again.... And I definitely didn't want to be here. Especially not in these circumstances. 

I smacked my forehead multiple times. "Please explain to me why we're here again?"

"You know fully well why we're here, Soo Min. You're the one who agreed to come in the first place," Ha Yeon laughed as she dragged me into the building. There were hundreds of girls, and some guys (lol) standing outside of the building, and I assumed they were here to claim they were SM's new voice.

"I know! But I wasn't thinking! Can't I take it back??"

"Nope, we're inside the building already. There's no going back now."

Well, I'm currently crying inside. Please let this day go by quickly. I walked ahead of Ha Yeon, thinking that if I did things faster, including walking, this day would go by faster.

"I just won't open my mouth today and we'll be- oof."

I bumped into a tall figure and quickly apologized, but stopped when I met their eyes.

"Why aren't you gonna open your mouth today? I love your voice."

"C-chanyeol, hey."

"Hey," he smiled. I saw his arms twitch and I think he was going to go in for a hug. 

Oh no, not ready for that. 

"Ahhhhhhh, my arms are so sore and I don't know why!" I started stretching so ridiculously there was no way he could wrap his arms around me.

He started chuckling and I immediately felt embarrassed. "Sure you're okay? I could give you a massage," he smirked.

, plan failed. "Nope! All better now, see?" I started nervously laughing and I felt so awkward. "Well, what are we standing around for? Don't we have this whole 'mysterious artist' thing to get to?"

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow at me. "You seem very jumpy today."

"Pft, me? Jumpy? No. They don't call me stay-on-the-groundy girl for nothing," I croaked.

"Oh god Soo Min, what kind of nonsense is coming out of your mouth now?" 

I glared at Ha Yeon with all my might. "Ahaaaa, what do you mean, dearest Ha Yeon?" I smiled and tapped her nose. What the hell was I doing right now.

"Uh, yeah Soo Min gets a little weird when she's nervous, sorry," she shook her head and explained to Chanyeol.

He lightly laughed before speaking again. 

God, his laugh is perfect. His smile is perfect. Chanyeol is perfect. 

Ok not thoughts I should be having right now. I have bigger things to worry about right now. 

"I can tell, but you have nothing to be nervous about. Unless... you're hiding something from me?"

"No!" Ha Yeon and I spoke simultaneously. 

He narrowed his eyes slightly at us before smiling again. "I'm just kidding. C'mon the guys are waiting for us." He started walking towards the elevator and we followed behind.

Oh please let this day go by quickly with no problems.

 

As soon as the elevator dinged, indicating we were on the designated floor, my heart started beating a million times faster. 

Between the three of us, there was no conversation since we were in the lobby. I don't know why, but I stupidly had to open my mouth and talk. 

"So what's this whole process gonna be like? What if we don't find this 'mysterious artist' that you guys are looking for?"

"No, we'll find her, she's bound to come out. I mean, who can resist the chance for fame?"

Uh, me.

"That's true, I guess," I shrugged.

"Here we are," Chanyeol opened a door and gestured for us to step in first. When we got inside, I gasped at the sight. The room looked like it would be small from the outside, but on the inside, it was huge.

"Okay, uh, wow." 

"Pretty great, huh?"

"IT"S HUGE," Ha Yeon took the words out of my mouth. The inside of the room looked somewhat familiar to the ballroom we had gone to for senior ball a couple of years back. The only difference was the massive amount of seats there, obviously meant for an audience. It all felt like a bit much for just trying to find a voice... Well, my voice.

"There are hundreds of people out there claiming that they are the voice that our president want in SM now. Hopefully one of those girls out there is the true voice." Chanyeol walked past us and sat at a long table in front of the stage. He looked at Ha Yeon and I and gestured for us to come sit down next to him. I was getting more and more nervous by the minute. Now that I thought about it, this was a really bad idea. I would have to sit here and watch all of these people claim that they recorded that song when I was the one who recorded the song, no one else.

But, I wasn't going to let my jealously get the best of me, no matter how bad this day got.

 

Well, at least I thought.

 


 

I stood up from my seat to meet the rest of the guys and the president of SM. Before reaching them, I looked back at Soo Min and saw her fiddling with a pen and messing around, laughing carelessly. I could hear her laugh from all the way over here. 

Her laugh is perfect. Her smile is perfect. Soo Min is perfect.

Alright, don't think about that right now, Chanyeol. Stay on track and today should go fine.

"Hey guys."

"Channie! Is Ha Yeon here yet??"

I raised an eyebrow at Baekhyun. "Yes.... and so is Soo Min."

"Yes, right, both of them are here. Nice." He casually tried to play off his excitement but I could tell what he was feeling. 

"You are a little too excited Baek. Just a little."

"So sorry, so very sorry." 

I laughed at how adorable little Baeky was being. 

"Does someone have a crush?" Suho gasped.

"Boys, stop fooling around and get over here," a sudden voice boomed from a few feet away where Soo Min and Ha Yeon were sittting already.

We all walked over to find that the president didn't need an introduction. In the very short moment that I had gone to greet the guys, our president had already met and talked with Soo Min and Ha Yeon, and they didn't seem to mind either. 

"Chanyeol, I was going to ask you who these girls were, but they seem well off enough to help us find that voice, huh?"

What just happened? They were acting like they knew each other when they just met literally 2 minutes ago. "Mhm.."

He clapped his hands together. "Well then, let's get this started shall we? I want to find this voice." 

We all nodded and I could literally hear Soo Min sigh so loudly it was like she was the Big Bad Wolf. "You okay?"

"Oh, yeah. I just, I'm having trouble breathing, uh, in here." She gestured to the room.

"Are you sure?"

"Uh-huh," she smiled before turning back to Ha Yeon.

I felt a hand grab my shoulder and I turned around to see Kai looking at me. I stood up and followed him to the back of the room, away from anyone being able to hear our conversation. But Kai still spoke in a whisper.

"This is gonna take all day. Why can't we just tell him that the voice belongs to Soo Min?"

"Kai, you know that she would deny everything if we told him and he just told her to come to the company. The only way she's going to do anything is if she willingly wants to herself. I can't force her into anything. I want her to realize that she's a singer, she's talented. But she won't realize any of that if she's put on the spot and forced to do what everyone wants her too."

He huffed out a breath of agreement. "Fine, you're right. But how many girls are out there claiming to be the voice of Soo Min?"

"Hundreds."

"Great. Let's do this." 

We did our little bro handshake before returning to the table, and sitting down next to Soo MIn. She was nervously doodling on a piece of paper and I saw that she seemed like she was talented in drawing too.

What is Soo Min not good at? 

"Alright Jihoon, send in the first 5 girls." 

 

And the day went on over and over like this. Girls were called, they sang, we nodded and smiled. But of course, we never found the voice. Most of the time, the president looked displeased, but sometimes there were girls who sang extremely well, even if they weren't the voice he was looking for. 

I sighed and started to doodle on my paper too, getting bored. Kai nudged my arm and looked at me. I knew what he was trying to say. I had a plan to get Soo Min to start singing unintentionally and then all of this would be over. I turned to Soo Min, whose back was turned to me. I was about to speak when Ha Yeon beat me to it. 

"We're going to go to the bathroom, be right back." She smiled.

Soo Min didn't say a word, but bowed and followed Ha Yeon. I watched them walk away and sighed. I guess our plan was going to have to wait a little bit longer. 

 


 

"You have such a tiny bladder." 

"Wow. Sorry I'm such a horrible person." Ha Yeon gasped sarcastically. 

I laughed before pushing her into a stall. I didn't get why she wanted me to go to the bathroom with her anyways, when she was completely capable of going herself.

"You know that girls always go to the bathroom together," Ha Yeon sighed when she finally came out of the stall. 

"That's when we're little girls! Not grown women." 

"Oh my god, fine. Tell that to me when something bad happens."

I realized she was kind of right. "Okay, fine, you're right. But I swear you've been to the bathroom like 12 times today."

"No rest for people with small bladders."

I laughed at her words. "Okay, okay, I get it. I won't judge you when you need to use the bathroom in another 5 minutes. But let's go, I think we're almost done and they haven't suspected anything from us."

"I know, and they've auditioned almost everyone out there."

We walked out of the bathroom and into the elevator, which I found completely weird. For some reason Ha Yoeon wanted to come to this specific bathroom and claimed she wouldn't pee anywhere else. 

I pressed the level to the floor I wanted to go, but surprise surprise, the button wasn't lighting up. 

"Ugh, these damn elevators need to be fixed!" 

"Seriously? Again? Let me try." Ha Yeon started to press all of the floor levels, trying to see if any of them would light up. Every button except for the floor we wanted to go to was lit up. 

"Okay, something is wrong with this place," I rubbed my temples in frustration. Last time, the stupid elevator mishap is the reason why we ended up on the floor with the recording booths, thus leading to this entire situation. 

Well, sort of. 

The elevator doors opened and we stepped into a hallway lined with rooms with names on the front. Ha Yeon casually walked into the hallway like she owned the place. "Ha Yeon, this is literally deja vu, get back in here before I get myself into more of a mess than I need to!"

"Oh calm down. Look, there's EXO's dressing room! Let's go in, we know they're not there anyways." 

And before I could even speak a word of protest, she walked into their dressing room. I let out a frustrated sigh. " I swear this girl cannot be my bestfriend."

I quickly followed her, looking around to make sure that no one was around or watching us. I didn't need to add on to my pile of stress. 

I ran into the room to find Ha Yeon fiddling with a knob on the wall. "Stop messing with stuff in here, Ha Yeon!"

"It's called exploring, not messing around. Their dressing room is enourmous here! I could run a mile with 3 laps around this room."

"Stop overexaggerating and let's get out. Now." I felt like I was turnign into a parent scolding their small child.

"Noooo, not ye. They won't even notice we're gone."

"Yeah they will! Now let's go!" I pulled Ha Yeon's arm but she wouldn't budge.

"No!" 

"Ha Yeon!!"

"Okay fine, we'll go if you sing."

I was so confused. "Why do I need to sing?"

"Didn't I say it before? I miss your singing, you never sing anymore. The ony time you did was on that recording. I want to hear my bestfriend sing again. Please please please please."

I groaned at her begging and pestering. "Why right now?"

"I'm not leaving if you don't sing," she bluntly said as she puted in her seat. 

I rolled my eyes. I don't know what she was trying to get at, but if she would finally leave with me to go back if I sang, I'll just do it. "Any requests, your majesty?" I spoke sarcastically.

"Hmmmm, another Ariana Grande song!! I love Ariana Grande, and you sing her songs so well."

"Fine. Here I go," I took a deep breath and started singing, acapella style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXfa_IgEXEo *imagine there isn't music in the background*

When I had finished the song, I slowly opened my eyes to see Ha Yeon looking at me in awe, the same face she had everytime I sang in front of her. 

Singing has some kind of weird effect on me, and I feel like I'm transporting to another universe whenever I sing. It's like meditating for me, I always feel very relaxed and free. To be completely honest, a little part of me just wanted to tell Chanyeol and everyone else that didn't know, that I was the one who was singing on that recording. I feel a little rush of excitement just thinking that I could actually be recoginized for my singing when I never actually thought I could make it if I tried. But, another part of me knew that if I did confess, my life could turn into one big mess, possibly. 

After a few moments, I snapped out of my thoughts. "Okay, I sang for you, are you happy? Can we go back now?"

Ha Yeon jumped up from her seat and smiled brightly, while grabbing my hands in hers. "Yes, yes, yes, we can definitely go back now."

"Oh now you decide to be excited about going back. I swear you're bipolar or something," I pulled my hands from her grasp and walked ahead of her out of the room, looking out into the hall to make sure no one had come by. 

"Soo Min! Wait up!" 

 

After some trouble, the elevator finally let us go to the floor we really wanted to go to. I stepped out, walking only a few steps before Ha Yeon quickly ran in front of me. 

"Something is wrong with you today. Why are you so jumpy?"

"I'm not jumpy, I'm just really excited to get back so I want to go in first," she spoke like what she had just said was a normal occurence.

This day was starting to get very weird for me, so I decided to just roll with it. 

But Ha Yeon literally ran back into the auditorium, leaving me behind. "Uh, thanks for waiting?"

Great, now I was even talking to myself.

I sighed and walked to the door and opened it slowly, not wanting to interrupt anything, if there was anyting going on. 

I expected everyone to be staring at the stage, watching yet another girl claim to be 'the voice.' 

But instead, I opened the doors to find all of EXO, Ha Yeon, and the president of SM Entertainment, standing front and center, staring at me.

 

Well this day is getting weirder by the second, isn't it?

 

*****

A/N: Hey guys! I hope you like the update, it took me a while to write because I kind of got stuck. 

So what's up with Soo MIn's weird and crazy day? The world may never know. (J kidding, you will. ((-: Eventually)

XOXO,

Mae