Sixteen

Not So Average

The cab drove up to the curb of my house, and when I looked out of the window, I saw Danny sitting there, patiently waiting. 

I sighed and turned to Ha Yeon. She grabbed my hands and looked me in the eyes. "Do you want me to stand outside just in case he tries something?"

The suggestion sounded like a good idea to me, but I felt like Danny wouldn't say what he really wanted to say if Ha Yeon was standing there watching him. He was always very intimidated by her. 

"No, it'll be okay. Just wait inside, I'll yell for you if I really need it," I laughed.

Ha Yeon frowned. "Fine. But the second I hear yelling, I'm running outside and beating Daniel to a pulp."

"I-"

"Nope. I'm going to beat him up if he tries anything again. I don't care what you think about it."

I nodded at her persistence. "Fine with me I guess. But only if he tries something okay?"

"Soo Min, do you still trust this guy? He broke your heart."

"I know."

"So what's wrong with you? Why would you care if anything happened to him anyway? Like, in general."

I didn't have a real answer for her question. I don't like Danny anymore, that's for sure, but, I couldn't ignore that we have a past together. A past that still makes me smile, even if it's just a little, whenever I think about it. That's why I haven't fully been able to let go, I guess.

"He's a big part of my past, Ha Yeon."

"So? The past is the past, and the present is now. Besides, I think you might have someone new to make memories with."

"I haven't talked to a boy like that since Danny, I don't think I will anytime soon."

"Uh, hello? Are you forgetting that we've met EXO, and Chanyeol seems like he's basically in love with you."

"That's a huge overexaggeration, he is not in love with me," I scoffed.

"Think what you want!"

"I will! And I know for a fact that that is not the case! Knowing and being 'friends' with EXO has been cool and all, but c'mon, there has to be some sort of catch. How did we, out of all people, get so lucky?" 

"Hmmmm... I actually have a theory about that," Ha Yeon said as she tapped her chin. "But you better get out of the cab now, Danny has been staring into this car for the past couple of minutes." 

I turned my head to see that it was true. He was standing up on our porch, looking pretty nervous, I might add.

"I'm just going to get this over with. I have to go grocery shopping for dinner after this."

"Yah! What about the guys? We were supposed to be hanging out with them today and we left SO early," Ha Yeon frowned.

"I'll text Chanyeol later and tell him something came up, okay? It's not like we'll never be able to hang out with them again!"

"Ugh just go. I can't believe we missed out on EXO's dance rehearsal just so you could talk to Daniel," she scoffed.

"I'm sorry, ok? I just felt compelled to come here."

"Just go and get it done. Let him talk and don't even give him a chance."

"That's the plan." I nodded in agreement. 

Yeah this whole thing seemed a little harsh, but I had to stay away from Danny like I had been to stop my past memories from flowing back to my mind whenever. I looked at Ha Yeon one last time and opened the car door before stepping out and walking towards him. Ha Yeon followed behind me, since she was just going to wait inside our house anyways. 

My heart was beating faster and faster as I got closer to him. In a blink of an eye, the memories I always try to surpress came flowing back to me. I started to panic. But before I could change my mind and turn back, I was already 3 feet away from him. He looked at me with his puppy eyes that I fell in love with back.....

No, Soo Min. No. Stop thinking about that. 

Ha Yeon passed by me and glared at Danny before walking into the house and closing the door behind her. 

I took a deep breath. Since there was silence between us for a couple moments, I decided to speak up first. 

"Look, Danny, you're wasting your time. Please just leave." I bluntly spat out.

"Soo Min," He lightly grabbed my wrist and led me to the swinging chair on the porch. "Like I've said a million times before, please give me the chance to explain."

I took my wrist out of his grip, but sat down. The wind lightly pushed the chair we were sitting on back and forth. There was more silence.

"Okay you want to talk, so talk." I was getting tired of this. At this point I'm pretty sure he was just making up some dumb story in his head as a sick excuse to try and get me to forgive him.

For another 30 seconds or so, he still didn't speak, he only looked down at the ground. 

I scoffed. "Ooookay you're definitely wasting my time now," I stood up and started to walk away when he grabbed my wrist yet again. 

"Soo Min," he pulled me back down to sit next to him. I gulped. The way he said my name was the way he called my name so lovingly back then. "Did you love me?"

I was surprised by his question. When we were dating, it took 8 months of us dating before I could tell him 'I love you' without choking. I did love him back then, but why was he asking me this question now?

"What does that have to do with anything?" 

"Just answer the question."

"Why should I?"

"Soo Min, please.

My stomach suddenly started to churn at the tone of his voice, he seemed so desperate, but he also sounded so... loving. I didn't want to give in and just answer him and give him what he wanted, but if I was going to get him to go away fast, I had to answer. And the thing was... I did have an answer. 

"Danny, of course I loved you. When we were dating I told you I loved you everyday, and that came from the bottom of my heart everytime. Why do you need to know this now when you know fully well that I loved you?" I put an emphasis on 'loved.'

"I know. I know how much you loved me. And you know how much I loved you, right?"

I slightly smiled. "Yeah," I shook my head and looked up to avoid his gaze. "Yeah I knew how much you loved me until you broke my heart into a million pieces."

I felt his hands cup my cheeks and turned me to face him. "Stop talking about that, please."

I widened my eyes at his touch, but didn't pull away. It was all to familiar to me. 

"Well what the hell else do you expect me to talk about? That's how we ended, Danny. You cheated on me, when all I ever gave you was..... I gave you everything." I was beginning to feel extremely flustered.

"You don't understand, okay? Stop talking for a second and just listen."

I finally pulled away from his hands, but I still made eye contact. "I'm giving you 5 minutes, nothing more, nothing less."

"Look, I'm going to explain everything to you, just don't roll your eyes or think this is an excuse, please I'm begging you. You of all people should know that I wouldn't go this far to talk to you again if I didn't want to fix things."

"Fine. I'm listening."

"I didn't cheat on you with Seojun. Please, please believe me. That day after school, I was talking to Seojun because an hour or so before, I heard her planning with those evil minions of hers. She.... was planning to get us to break up. I coudn't stand the thought of her planning anything to try and get us to break up or fight over nothing, so I started to get extremely angry. Of course, I stupidly jumped out from my hiding spot and fell right into her trap, which I didn't realize at the time. I pulled her away from her friends to the parking lot. All I was telling her was to please leave you alone, and to not try and get in the way of our relationship. All of a sudden she started talking about you. I don't know how she knew you would be there, but you showed up right when she kissed me. Please, Soo Min, you have to believe me. The look on you face killed me when you saw me with Seojun. I wanted to run after you right then... but I was too frozen to even think. To think that I had lost you, broke my heart. The following days and weeks, you know that I tried to contact you but you never answered me, and ignored me the one week I saw you at school. And after that, I guess you went to finish your senior year in America, and I never got the chance to talk to you again." 

I stared into Danny's eyes. 

"Soo Min, say something. Please, I know it sounds cliche and made up, but I promise you, I'm telling the truth. I love you. I still love you."

I was frozen in place. He just told me that he loved me, even now. I didn't know what to think about anything anymore. 

"I don't..... know," was all that I managed to get out of my mouth. 

"You don't believe me do you?"

For some reason, I did believe him. I may not be dating Danny now, but we did date for a year and a half. During that time, I had learned everything about him, including when he was lying or telling the truth. And just by listening to him, 

 

he wasn't lying.

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi lovelies! Okay sorry for this super short update, and sorry for the cliffhanger but I just had too! My updates are a little here and there time wise because I was at Disneyland this weekend for our senior field trip which was super fun!!! But I'll be updating almost everyday now! (hopefully, lol)

Love you guys! Don't kill me, the next few chapters will lay everything out. 

XOXO,

Mae