Special Chapter: The Memory of Park Chanlie

Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Baekhyun. The name that would forever haunt his memories. His smile that chased the shadow of the bad days away from Chanlie's mind. His tiny silhouette in the gentle sunset. Everything about him brought the feeling of serenity to Chanlie whose life was always out in the bloody battle field.

 

He could say it was a fateful encounter. Yes, Chanlie would alway remember that day. He was fatally wounded and Baekhyun - who was a human priest - helped him despite Chanlie having a vicious half-beast appearance. He remembered gripping Baekhyun by the neck and asking why he was not afraid.

 

"Human or not, you're hurt. That's what matters now."

 

Never in his wildest dream did Chanlie pictured himself beside a human. He had to keep his human appearance and hid his ears and tail in order to avoid suspicion from the villagers. He spent the few days recovering his broken leg while also observing the little town. Baekhyun would often told him stories about how humans believed that werewolves and vampire exist only in myths and fables. The human priest would laughed it off in the end, saying that he did not need any myths or fables about them anymore because a grumpy werewolf was already here right before his eyes. The comment always left Chanlie sulking and Baekhyun would always apologize with his irresistible puppy eyes. The werewolf could not stay mad at the human for long.

 

However, these moments only lasted for a short while. Exactly four days later, a messenger came for him. Tao, a very dear friend of his, sent his fateful crow to fetch Chanlie, saying that it was an urgent matter. Although his legs have yet to heal, Chanlie complied to his friend's request and headed off to the north, leaving only a little note for Baekhyun.

 

"Thanks for the hospitality. I'll come visit soon."

 

He remembered those words clearly as that was the first time he had ever thanked anyone. There was a tiny bit of bitterness in his heart as he left the town. Chanlie was worried about how the priest would react to his sudden leave. He could not take his mind off Baekhyun until he had arrived at his destination.

 

It was past midnight, yet Tao was still up to greet him. They exchanged greetings and for the first time since they had known each other, Tao looked extremely anxious and somehow..... threatening. The wolf asked him to watch over the fox which Chanlie had rescued from before while he attend to an important matter.

 

Chanlie could not believe that Tao called him out here just for this and demanded a reason for why he should spend his time babysitting a fox. Finally, Tao decided to tell him something that had left Chanlie mentally shocked and speechless.

 

Tao's partner, Yifan, who had gone missing for almost ten years was rumored to be under the curse of the black dragon - a dangerous black magic curse which has a will on its own. In order to revive his partner's sanity, Tao would have to venture and search for a particular spell in the domain of their arch enemy - the vampires. Even with his natural silver hair, he could not completely disguise himself as a vampire yet with his deep blue eyes. He would have to go to the elder wolves for their guidance.

 

Chanlie could not refuse this request as Yifan was just like an older brother to him and losing him was unimaginable. Tao promised him that he would return before ten years and bring back a cure for Yifan. Thus, Chanlie was temporarily left with the duty as the fox's guardian.

 

A year past by in the blink of an eye and Chanlie watched from within the shadows as the fox grew in depression. He hated to admit it, but he felt a slight pity towards the fox for having to lose his only friend. Another year flew by and he was beginning to grow tired of waiting. Occasionally, the vague memories of the time he had spent in the human town floated into his mind. He really felt like seeing Baekhyun again. By the time another year had past, he had already decided to take his leave, yet he needed a substitute in his place.

 

It took him a while to finally recall a useful trick to help him solve the problem. Gathering the spirits of the mountain, he shaped them into small shards of ice while at the same time, placing a unique fire of his own in the very core of the ice. Those ice would act as his substitute and a medium to transmit the energy from the mountain to the fox in order to extend his life force. It was a big farewell gift which Chanlie decided to left to the fox.

 

His first thought when he had left the mountain was to go back to his territory and rid it of unnecessary pests. Even though he was an Alpha, he did not have a pack. The title was given to him by the elders to prove that he was one of the Prime Alphas who participated in the second war against the vampires.

 

However, his mind ended up thinking about Baekhyun and that was where his paws took him. He was amazed when Baekhyun immediately recognized who he was despite that the human had never seen him in his wolf form before. He was happily welcomed with a heart warming dinner and Chanlie could not help but felt delighted. They talked and talked all night long, even though Baekhyun was the one doing most of the talk. Not once did the priest asked of why he had left a few years ago.

 

They spent a couple of days together and one evening, Baekhyun brought up an unexpected question.

 

"Are you going to leave again?"

 

Silent hung in the air. Although he was planning to leave after a week or so, those puppy eyes and sad voice had him completely at mercy. He was surprised that he actually had a soft spot for adorable things. He was even more surprised at what he had said afterward.

 

"No... well, not anytime soon..... if that's okay with you."

 

Baekhyun had him off guard with a sudden hug and Chanlie recalled that his heart was practically pounding inside his chest. Back then, he just pushed the unfamiliar feeling aside and they ended the day with a feast.

 

The days flew by and Chanlie unknowingly became attached to the human. He would unconsciously note every little details about Baekhyun, from his slightly untamed bed hair to his slowly growing height. He remembered asking about the unique silver cross pendant which the priest had always worn and Baekhyun told him that it was a gift from the previous priest who was also the father of his foster parent.

 

By the time Chanlie was able to adjust himself properly to the new environment, the two of them would spent most of the evening together watching the sunset over the forest. It was a mesmerizing sight and seeing Baekhyun smiling underneath the sunset had awaken something inside of him. Something he should have never felt for a human.

 

Baekhyun became the center of his life - his own little light to help him forget about his darker days. And the human had also seemed to open up his heart to Chanlie. The two of them would happily spent their days with Baekhyun on his duty at the church and Chanlie working on the small farm at the back. They would go for their daily walk along the river in the evening and chatted all night long after dinner.

 

Those experiences changed his perspective on humans. Not all of them were as bad as what he had been told. The children in the town would often come and play on his farm while also helping him tend to the chickens. The elders would offered him breads and milk during their occasional visits to the church. The neighbors would lent their hands when he had to b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter