Chapter 18

Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The warm rays of sun pierced through the sea grey clouds. The snow had ceased away and the chilling breeze gently grazed the thick layer of snow which had completely buried what remained of the human settlement. The avalanche had come to a halt just a bit past the village due to contact with the raging fire. It was strange that such massive avalanche did no harm any animals nor had it taken down a single tree as it made its way down from the very peak of the mountain. 

 

The sound of gentle footsteps across the snow echoed throughout the quiet valley. The footprints led towards a small hill just out of the avalanche reach. The owner of the footprints - the mysterious white hair man - quietly observed the two wolves before him.

 

One of them with white pelt seemed badly worn out from physical exhaustion whilst the other with chestnut brown fur, collapsed nearby solely from mental exhaustion. The two were in bad shapes from his point of view, yet the man hesitated to help them. They were indeed from a foreign land as he had never seen them before, though in some ways, they looked oddly familiar. He kept asking himself if he should help the wolves or not. He had no reason to trust strangers, yet he also held no grudge against wolves.

 

Maybe it was best to leave them be. Just as he was about to turn his back and leave, the little snow owl landed on his shoulder.

 

"What's the matter?"

 

The owl crooked its head before answering.

 

"I don't think you should leave them here."

 

"Why?"

 

"They seem to be allies of your guest, or shall I say, a dear old friend."

 

Old friend?

 

"What do you mean?"

 

The owl glanced back before looking up at the sky.

 

"Remember the one who came to you with the impossible request, almost a thousand years ago?"

 

The impossible request? A thousand years?

 

"Please... help me retrieve them.... if it can be done then.......... I promise you what you have always want from me most....."

 

Ah! That was right! That wolf who came to him long ago! To think that he was still alive until now. That guy only came to him in times of need. That wolf better had a good reason and price to offer him this time.

 

"So it's him...."

 

The owl looked at the man who now held a smile across his lips. As a snow spirit, it had not been around long enough to know the full story of its master and the wolf. Yet no matter how they seemed to quarrel every time they met, it knew that the two of them shared a greater bond than one could imagine. That made the owl a bit hesitant to tell its master about what it saw from when it was soaring from above.

 

"The wolf who came for you..."

 

The owl really had no courage to tell its master, but the mention of the wolf already caught its master's attention.

 

"What about him?"

 

"He's.... buried beneath the avalanche...."

 

"Oh, that. Don't worry. That avalanche was set to put down the flame. Any living thing weren't harm, don't worry. He'll be push back to the surface soon enough. A little cold won't kill him for the time being."

 

"But he seemed to have a unconscious companion with him."

 

Its master had gone quiet for a bit before turning around.

 

"Alright. Get these two up the mountain. I'll grab the others."

 

The owl hopped off its master's shoulder as he made his way downhill. It turned to look at the unconscious wolves on the ground. It went to each of them and pecked at their ears, yet not one of them woke up. What a pain... 

 

It flew higher above ground

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter