Cinnamon Rolls (Chabean)

Antique One Shots

            “Hongbin-ah!” Hongbin looked up from his task of organizing the box of rings on the table. He had successfully managed to untangle most of them, and now his fingers smelled slightly of metal and he had a pile of old rings in front of him. The owner of the voice was a regular customer, although she never really bought anything and Hongbin was pretty sure he knew the reason why.

            “Hey, Giyeong.” The fairy came in often, and sometimes would make a round through the store before inevitably showing up right in front of Hongbin.

            “How are you? How’s work? I hope you’re not too bored!” Hongbin smiled at her.

            “No, I always find ways to busy myself.” He turned his attention back to his pile, not seeing the pink tinge on her cheeks. He had already figured that she doesn’t really come to the store because of the merchandise, but instead to just come chat with Hongbin as he worked. There were a couple of people who did that, he had noticed.

            It was usually ladies, but sometimes there were a couple of men who would come over and hover around Hongbin. Hongbin usually didn’t put too much thought into it, just having a basic polite conversation with them. He would guess that the reason they stuck around was just because of how he looked, and not the talk about the weather.

            Hakyeon told him all the time how beautiful and handsome he was, but Hongbin usually just laughed it off, not that he didn’t think he was attractive or anything, but he didn’t think he was anything that special (and besides, he thought Hakyeon was a lot more beautiful than he was). But apparently others thought so too, and so he was a popular target. Hyuna always laughed at him about it, telling him that maybe he should just tell them to leave him alone, he’s dating someone anyways, but Hongbin didn’t want to be rude or anything. So instead he just put up with it, trying his best not to lead anyone on at all, just being professional.

            “So what have you been up to lately?” Hongbin turned back to Giyeong.

            “Nothing really, just hanging out with my friends a lot. Since I moved in with Hakyeon, I’ve been seeing them a lot.” It was moments like this where Hongbin wonders if he should just tell her that he’s already dating someone, but before he can say anything else she starts talking, telling him about her day. He goes back to organizing the rings, by color and size, nodding occasionally at her. She eventually excused herself, saying that she had to go meet up with some of her own friends, winking at Hongbin before flouncing away and the bell above the door signaled her exit.

            “Why don’t you just tell them all you’re taken? It would make everything sooo much easier.” Hongbin sighed.

            “Yeah, I know, Hyuna.”

            “I could tell them for you!”

            “Absolutely not.” Hyuna laughed.

 

            It didn’t stop once he left work though. He went over to the bakery most days after, if Hakyeon didn’t come and meet him beforehand. He had stopped visiting everyday just before closing, but Hongbin was fine with that since he would just go over and see him as soon as he got off, and it was nice to be able to focus on actually cleaning up during the last ten minutes, instead of being distracted. The girl working at the register in the bakery, Hongbin learned her name was Eungi, would wave at him when he came in, and Hakyeon usually wasn’t far behind greeting him. Some days he would take a bit longer, helping Taekwoon or organizing things, so Hongbin would take a seat by the window in the back and wait.

            Sometimes he would order a coffee or something, and he’d never tell Hakyeon that he would pay for it. He always tipped Eungi too, she was pretty much the other employee that Hongbin had seen at the bakery anyways. She tried to refuse for a while, but eventually she and Hongbin came to an understanding that neither of them would tell Hakyeon or Taekwoon. Hongbin didn’t know if Eungi knew about Taekwoon being a cat shifter, but she didn’t seem to have a problem with a cat hanging out around the tables. She chatted with Hongbin sometimes, but usually just briefly and simple.

            The guests of the bakery were a mix of types. There were fairies and the occasional elf, sometimes nymphs and pixies. Once Hongbin was pretty sure he saw a woman with four arms. And then there were humans that visited as well. Most of them were people who were there often, the bakery wasn’t a big place nor was it advertised, it wasn’t big-scale or anything. But those who went there loved it, so Hongbin guessed that it got popularity by word of mouth. The interior of the building was pretty big, and Hongbin sometimes had his suspicious of Hakyeon helping with that one. The counter was at the back, with a long glass display case full of the pastries and goodies of the day. Then of course there was the back kitchen, which was where Taekwoon obviously stayed most of the time. The back was always warm, and smelled delicious. Hakyeon had made his own little spot in the corner, with a little table and two chairs, one that he had added as soon as Hongbin started hanging out back there with him.

            While Hongbin would wait, occasionally different customers would come over and talk to him, some out of curiosity just because of him being there all the time, but then there were also the ones who came over and sat down, chattering with Hongbin. The nymphs were the ones who did it the most, but fairies and pixies had a tendency to look over at him and stare for a while, which always made Hongbin kind of uncomfortable, so he just ignored it most of the time. Every once in a while someone would approach him.

            The weirdest times where someone would tell Hongbin that he should go out with them, and often asking or giving a phone number or address, which Hongbin always awkwardly declined. Even with saying no, there were still sometimes ones who still stuck around, pretty blatantly flirting, and Hongbin had to continue to turn them down until they would either give up or had some other reason to leave.

            Today when he sat down, he immediately noticed a pretty air nymph blinking her eyelashes over at him. He sighed and turned back to his drink, waiting for Hakyeon. Hakyeon had told him that he could come back whenever he wanted, but Hongbin still preferred to spend a little bit of down time sitting down and enjoying his tea. Hakyeon would usually bring out a treat with him, sometimes a reject from a batch that Taekwoon had made. Hongbin liked relaxing for a while off of his feet after work, and the atmosphere of the bakery was perfect for just hanging out.

            “Hello? Hi!” Hongbin looked up, seeing the aforementioned nymph standing in front of him, and he internally sighed.

            “Hello,” he responded simply, not really interested in starting a conversation. But she pulled out the chair across from him and gracefully sat down.

            “I’ve seen you here before, do you come often?”

            “Yeah, I’m here most days. I come over after work.” She laughed.

            “Wow, you must really like it here!”

            “I mean, I’m usually here to see-“

            “Binnie!” As if on cue, the door to the back opened and Hakyeon came out with a smile, holding a little plate with rolls on it. He approached Hongbin’s table, and eyed the nymph.

            “Hello, who’s this?” Hongbin looked up at him.

            “I came over to say hi! What does Binnie stand for? It’s a cute nickname for a cute boy.” Hongbin rubbed at the back of his neck. “Is that what I should call you? I mean, if you’re here all the time, I come pretty often too.” She looked up at Hakyeon as well. “Oh, did you come to bring him something? Looks delicious.” Hakyeon pursed his lips, smiling.

            “Ah, well actually I came over to give my boyfriend his favorite cinnamon roll, since he came to visit me.” The nymph stiffened slightly, and looked between the elf and Hongbin, who awkwardly smiled. Her eyes fell back onto Hongbin.

            “Boyfriend?” Hakyeon smiled again, leaning on Hongbin’s shoulder and briefly kissing his cheek.

            “Yep!” Hakyeon put the plate down on the table and maneuvered around Hongbin, sliding onto his lap, and Hongbin’s hands instinctively went to hold onto his hips. The nymph let out a little huff.

            “Well, that’s a shame.” She stood smoothly, smiling at Hongbin again. “But I’ll be here again sometime, in case you ever want a,” she paused. “A change of pace.” Hakyeon rolled his eyes, and she waved at Hongbin and walked away from his table, hips swaying. Hongbin sighed, and Hakyeon laughed.

            “What, I wasn’t going to just let someone come and snatch you away.” Hongbin looked up at him.

            “Thanks, I guess. It was getting a little weird.” Hakyeon broke off a part of the cinnamon roll on the plate and offered it to Hongbin.

            “You don’t seem very put off by it.”

            “Yeah, I mean I’m kind of used to it by now.” Hakyeon side-eyed him.

            “Does this kind of thing happen a lot?” Hongbin shrugged.

            “Here and at the store, yeah. It’s nothing really new though, it happened back home too.” Hakyeon made a face.

            “Hmm.” He fed Hongbin another bite. “What do you say to them?” Hongbin chewed for a moment before responding.

            “Nothing much, really. They do most of the talking. I just keep working.”

            “Do you tell them you’re taken?”

            “That’s such a weird way to put it, but no. It never really comes up.” Hakyeon frowned slightly.

            “It seemed like it was about to come up just now with that girl.” Hongbin shrugged again.

            “Then I just have to say no.” Hakyeon hummed.

            “Well I guess I’ll have to keep closer tabs, won’t I?” Hongbin laughed.

            “You sound like you’re going to follow me everywhere.” Hakyeon grinned, and took a bite of the roll for himself.

            “Maybe I will, if you keep getting these offers from people. Unless you plan on leaving,” he said, pretending to start wiggling his way away from Hongbin, who just grinned and pulled him back.

            “Nah, it’s not on my list of priorities. Besides, most of them aren’t really my type.”

            “What, and I am? What’s your type? So I can make sure to watch out for those ones.”

            “Usually loud, kind of annoying sometimes, likes to bother people while they are working. Oh, and they have to be kinda weird, the kind of weird where you might have to-“ Hakyeon laughed, and grabbed the plate, standing and walking back to the kitchen. Hongbin got up to follow him. The elf turned to face him, one of his hands on his hips.

            “I guess you’ve found the wrong person then, I’m definitely never annoying or weird.” Hongbin pushed him back through the door.

            “Oh, shut up.”

           

            The next day, Hyuna started laughing as soon as she saw Hongbin, stealing and hiding the scarf that he had brought to wear, which left him embarrassed just about all day, but whenever someone saw the little bite marks on his jawline and neck, they definitely didn’t ask him as many questions, nor did any of the fairies linger for very long, most of them making a face at him.

            Hakyeon came over to his work early, and when Hongbin told him to leave Hyuna told him that he was free to stay, he could use an extra chair, and Hongbin rolled his eyes.

            “Definitely annoying and weird, Hakyeon.” The elf laughed.

            “Good thing I’m just your type then, eh?”

 


poor hongbin

jk he's just a naive and innocent soul who isn't good at flirting

and hakyeon doesn't want anyone flirting with him ANYWAYS

 

idk why but i keep bringing up neck marks

idk maybe it subconcious oh well it's effective for the purposes i need it for so

is it a little weird? i dunno

ummm yes but here is this! sorry i've slowed down updates ~.~ school is wrapping up pretty soon so everything is kinda crazy plus im very lazy :P

 

thanks for reading and subscribing!

 

~Win