Sunsets (RaKen)

Antique One Shots

            “His birthday, Hakyeon!”

            The elf looked up. It had become normal for him to see the satyr barge into the room without a hello, immediately talking. This time Hakyeon knew what Wonshik was talking about.

            “Yeah, Jaehwan’s birthday is coming up, what about it?” Wonshik collapsed in the chair across from Hakyeon, dropping his head to run his hands through his hair, which Hakyeon still thought was atrocious and too much, ugh, the orange. It didn’t help that Wonshik had started styling it up in a Mohawk-y style, shaving the sides. He was messing it up now though, ruffling through it with his hands. Hakyeon looked at him over the rim of his mug. “You have no idea what to do for him, do you?” Wonshik groaned.

            “Yeah, I have no clue. Should I get him a gift or something? Or like take him out to dinner, or somewhere? You’ve known him longer than I have, help me out here.”

            “I’m not the one who’s dating him.”

            “Ugh, you’re useless.” Hakyeon laughed.

            “So I’ve been told. Anyways, I’ve already gotten him something, so you’re gonna be on your own for this one.” Wonshik glared at him.

            “Well what did you get him?”

            “Not telling.” Wonshik sighed.

            “What if I ask Hongbin?” Hakyeon shrugged.

            “You can ask him if you want to, but I don’t know if he will be any more help than I am.”

 

            “What should I do for Jaehwan for his birthday?”

            “I don’t know, I’m not dating him, you are.”

            “You and Hakyeon are starting to sound eerily similar. But both of you aren’t very helpful.” Hongbin shrugged.

            “Well think about it. What does he like? What do you guys usually do together? I bet you’ll think of something.”

 

            “Why are you asking me?”

            “Because Hakyeon and Hongbin are no help.” Sanghyuk rolled over to face Wonshik on the couch.

            “I just got him an action figure from some show he likes, nothing big. He’s not super huge on the whole birthday thing anyways.”

            “I still want to do something at least sort of special,” Wonshik said, scratching at his neck. Sanghyuk rolled onto his back again.

            “Maybe surprise him or something. Jaehwan loves stuff like that. And cheesy dumb things too. Something mushy. And he’s a fairy, too. They like all kinds of bright sparkly things, and toys. You’ll figure something out.”

 

            “And I just don’t know what to get him.”

            “And?”

            “I dunno, Taekwoon, I thought you could help me or something.”

            “How do you expect me to help you? You’re around him more than any of the rest of us.” Wonshik sighed, and Taekwoon turned back to cleaning dishes. “What do you guys do together? Maybe think of something he’d enjoy doing.”

            “What do you do for Hakyeon’s birthday?” Taekwoon glanced over at him.

            “I don’t know why you would ask, Hakyeon and Jaehwan aren’t the same when it comes to birthdays, but I usually just make a big dinner and dessert and then sometimes a little gift, like a sweater or something, if he had mentioned something he liked. Have you even considered just asking Jaehwan?”

            “No, I can’t do that. I want to surprise him with something, whatever it is.” Taekwoon sighed.

            “Then you having a hard time is your own fault, and none of us will be able to help.”

 

            Wonshik decided to look for something to give to Jaehwan, but nothing felt right. Just something like clothes or a new toy or anything that was easy didn’t feel right to him, so he didn’t think he’d be able to figure out anything to buy him. He decided that he would take the fairy to dinner, but he didn’t know where, or how he should ask. Should he be direct about it? Or surprise him? Jaehwan loved surprises. He finally chose somewhere, the little restaurant that Jaehwan had taken him on their first date out.

            He was sitting in his apartment when the idea hit him. Jaehwan had always talked about wanting to go watch the sun set, since you couldn’t see it very well from the city. He’d probably have to ask Hakyeon if he could help, but Wonshik was pretty sure of this one. It wasn’t anything big or elaborate, but he thought that it would be just perfect.

           

            Wonshik shifted his weight from side to side, standing in front of the bakery, waiting. Jaehwan had said he’d be there soon, and Wonshik started feeling a little bit nervous about it all. He shifted his grip on the little bundle of flowers in his hands. He had decided on flowers, but not anything big, just a little assortment of the ones he knew Jaehwan liked. As he continued to get more nervous, Jaehwan finally turned the corner around the building, smiling at Wonshik.

            “Hey, sorry I’m a little late.”

            “No, it’s fine, I wasn’t waiting for too long.” Jaehwan stood in front of the satyr.

            “So where are we going? Ooh, did you bring me those?” Jaehwan gestured at the flowers, and Wonshik nodded, offering them to him.

            “Yeah, they’re your favorites, the ones that smell really strong. And we’re going to dinner, first.” Jaehwan’s face lit up in a bright grin, and he looped his arm through Wonshik’s.

            “Lead the way, then!”

 

            Jaehwan was just as excited as Wonshik thought he would be when they reached the restaurant, talking excitedly about how he had felt when they first went there, when Jaehwan had first asked. The dinner went smoothly, and Wonshik told him no, they weren’t getting dessert, Taekwoon had something planned for later. Jaehwan laughed.

            “So, are we going back now? It’s still light outside.” Wonshik shook his head.

            “No, we’ve got another place to go. It’s a bit of a walk, though.” Jaehwan hummed in the back of his throat.

            “That’s fine!”

 

            The distance wasn’t really that far, and it was nice outside. There was a little bit of a breeze, and it ruffled through Jaehwan’s hair, as he intertwined his fingers with Wonshik, swinging his arm. They didn’t talk completely, but it wasn’t ever awkward, like Wonshik had been afraid of. Instead it was just comfortable the way it was, with Jaehwan making dumb comments from time to time, and Wonshik replying, sometimes with equally dumb answers. There was plenty of laughter, and sometimes they got weird looks from people they passed by, but Wonshik couldn’t really find it in him to care, not when Jaehwan would look over at him, eyes bright and happy.

            Their path lead them through the city towards the outskirts, and Wonshik led Jaehwan over to a hilly park, with plenty of trees, and benches placed periodically. He guided them over to one that faced the west, settling down just as the edge of the sun hit the horizon.

            “We’re going to watch the sun set?” Wonshik glanced over at Jaehwan.

            “Yeah, you mentioned a while ago that you’ve never been able to see one really well, since you’ve lived in cities for most of your life, so I thought maybe we could come see one where it wasn’t as crowded.” Jaehwan smiled, one that reached up his entire face, eyes crinkling just around the sides, and he leaned into Wonshik’s side.

            As the sun slowly went down, with Jaehwan just resting against him, Wonshik’s chest felt heavy, like his heart was too big and was hitting against his ribcage, and he was pretty sure he would be willing to stay there forever. He shifted, leaning down to kiss Jaehwan softly, one that slowly grew more passionate until Wonshik forgot all about the sun.

 

            When it was finally dark, with the sun having disappeared completely, they both remembered that everyone were probably waiting on them to get back, and Jaehwan stood, pulling Wonshik up with him, grinning and lacing their hands together again.

            “Hakyeon is preparing a surprise for me, I already know. Sanghyuk is really bad about secrets. I’ll have to pretend to be surprised.” Wonshik followed him back down the path they had come from, laughing.

            “I’ll help make it believable, he didn’t tell me about it either. Equal surprises.” Jaehwan snickered.

            “Let’s go then, yeah?”

 

            One good acting scene, a rousing round of happy birthdays and a dessert party later, everyone was just lounging around in Hakyeon’s house. Jaehwan had gotten his figure from Sanghyuk, and Hongbin and Hakyeon had teamed up to get him a set of stones that Hakyeon told him would light up and change colors if he wanted them too, and a pot of plants that he said would keep blooming all year. Taekwoon gave him a sweater, as well as an extra cake for him to take home.

            Wonshik was sitting next to him on the couch, and as everyone around them kept talking, he leaned in and kissed Jaehwan’s cheek.

            “Happy birthday, Jaehwan.” And the smile that the fairy gave him was one that he probably wouldn’t forget for a while.

 


i've discovered i have a pattern of starting all of my chapters and stories with dialogue, but i think it's fun and it just feels like good ways to start things

 

happy birthday jaehwan!!! even though this is late!!!

i didn't know what i wanted to write so i just went with it and this is what came out, here u all go

 

thank you for reading, commenting, voting and subscribing!

 

~Win