chapter 34

apocalypse II

-I really want to watch Lee Joon's drama, GAP DONG MEMORIES OF MURDERER, but it's a drama! Too many episodes *sigh*-

They were all gathered in the living room of the already fortified farmhouse. "What could be the difference?" Minho asked as he scanned over Mir as if he could find the answer if he searched enough.

"You feeling okay, kiddo?" Rain asked, patting Mir's back.

Mir looked around his own body. "I-I guess so." He answered hesitantly.

"Could it be because the one biting him was his biological sister?" Lizzy tried though she herself knew that it sounded stupid.

"That's stupid." Minho blurted out but swallowed back his tongue at Lizzy's sharp glare. Lizzy, Nana and Wooyoung still didn't forgive them. The only reason those three still hadn't killed them and tore their limbs apart was because of Mir. And also because of Seungho's caring attitude of wanting to bury all of the deceased.

Mir kept racking his mind. What made him different? Why was he still very much alive? Why didn't he turn? Could it be that his body reaction to the infection was just slower than the others? Would he turn tomorrow? Or after tomorrow?

So many questions but none of them have answer.And he couldn't rest until he was sure he really won't turn and put the others in danger. "What if I turn later than everyone else?" Mir voiced his opinion. "This is a type of infection. Different people have different resistance. What if mine is a bit stronger and it'll take longer than the usual?"

"Or maybe you won't turn at all." Taemin spoke. His eyes were pleading and full with hopes as he looked over Mir. He wanted to believe his own words and he wanted Mir as well believed that.

"We can't take that risk." Mir replied and the younger's locks causing the latter to sigh in disappointment. Mir didn't take his words seriously.

"So, you want to leave us? Again?" Byunghee asked. His eyes stabbed deep into Mir's. The older knew what Mir was thinking. And he would never agree to that.

Mir kept silent. And his silence just confirmed Byunghee's thought. If he stayed, and turned, he really didn't want to cause the others to have to kill him. It was unfair. Even just now when Mir asked them for the gun, none of them agreed. He wasn't asking them to kill him. He was just asking for a gun to kill himself. But still, they wouldn't do as he asked. None of them had the heart too. And then, he realized that they felt the same thing as what he felt when Sanghyuk asked Mir to kill him. He couldn't do that to the others. Not when he knew exactly how it felt. He couldn't put any of them through that. He wouldn't.

"We need to stay together! Why can't you just understand that? Why are you always try to bear everything alone? WHY?" Mir flinched when Byunghee lost his cool and the older shouted at him. It was the first time Byunghee raised his voice at Mir.

But the younger was fast to gather back his composure. "You still don't get it, do you?" Mir voice was void of emotion. His face was stoic. Reminding the older of the first time they met. Making the older lost for words. "I'll just be a burden." Mir stood up and faced the older. "There's no reason for me to stay."

Joon cut in. He stood up and grabbed Mir's arm. "No reason? No reason at all? Why can't it be me as the reason? Why can't it be Byunghee hyung? Why can't it be all of this people whom we have spent the time together?" 

Mir looked away. He didn't want to see disappointment in the eyes of the two older. "And that just give me more reason to leave." He said monotonously, chaining away his own emotion as he turned back to look into the others' eyes one by one. He knew, they might took what he said wrongly.

But then, his eyes met with Sanghyun's. The tall boy smiled a small smile. Not of sadness. Not of disbelief. Not of disappointment. But that of an understanding. "Let him go, Joon hyung." Sanghyun said as he got up and went into Mir's room then to the kitchen before he was back to the living room.

In Sanghyun's hand was a single backpack and a key. "I found this motorbike yesterday. You can have it in case you want to use it." He held out both the backpack and the Key to the younger.

Mir took the bag and looked inside. Food and water supplies. The younger smiled. "I'll travel by foot." He decided. It was safer to do just as that. It was more quiet. It might took some time, but it wasn't like he was chasing after the clock.

"What? Stop this! Why are you agreeing with this?" Joon tried to take the bag away from Mir but Seungho hold onto him. The older nodded at Mir who nodded back. "Hyung? You can't let him go away just like that!" Joon struggled in Seungho's hold.

"Mir, don't!" Byunghee tried to hold onto Mir but Onew and Key had already grabbed his arms, restraining him.

"I'm sorry." Mir said to the struggling boys. He walked to Taemin who was crying a river and took the smaller boy into a tender hug. "Grow stronger and protect them for me." 

A hand on his shoulder. Mir turned to see Minho, Jonghyun and Rain behind him. Their features potrayed their feelings. Guilt. 

"Don't blame yourself. You did what you think you should. And I think it was a brave action." Mir then turned to his three childhood friend. He released a small chuckle. "We just met back not even a day and we need to say goodbye again."

"Mir." Wooyoung called. "Max is still alive. I took care of him. Take him with you. He's yours after all. It's time for me to return him to you."

"I will." Mir replied.

"If..." Lizzy swallowed. "If you survive. Promise you'll find us?" Mir didn't nod nor he had intention to answer that question. He just gave a small smile and left. Left... Again... Alone... The word that kept lingering by his side. Maybe he didn't suit to be in group after all. Maybe he was meant to be alone...

Ignoring the calling of Byunghee and Joon, Mir stepped further away from the farmhouse. From his village. From his friends. From his family. He stopped at a stable at the end of the farm and saw a horse. A white horse. A horse that had been growing up with him. "Max." He called and patted the horse nape. That animal seemingly still recognized its human friend and leaned into Mir's touch. "You lost you family too." Mir said as he saw the empty stable except for Max. "Would you come with me?" As if it understood what Mir said, the horse neighed and snort like he was agreeing with Mir's offer. "Good boy."

Mir opened the stable and let Max out before he fastened the saddle on Max and he swiftly jumped onto the horse's back. His moves were skillful and graceful.

Mir closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. When he opened his eyes, determination glimmered in those dark brown orbs. "We have a job to settle, Max." With that, he softly pat the horse nape and they bolted out of the farm in a direction. To a place Mir hoped he could find the answer.

 

 

-THE END-

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-LOL~ Just kidding. Did I get you? Hehe... I'm going to make another sequel. Like trilogy or something? Just wait for it. Coming soon.... kkkkk~-