chapter 33

apocalypse II

Mir watched over the grave where all of his family members now lied. He closed his eyes. He would be lying there too. Soon. Whispering to his family to wait for him. He would be there with them. Joining them. "Byunghee hyung." He called.

The two boys locked eyes when Mir's wide orbs blinked open. Byunghee had to clench his teeth so he wouldn't break down in heavy sobs. Wave of emotions hit him when the thought of losing Mir striked him hard. Too hard that he felt pain all over his body. His mental pain was morphing into physical. It was... Unbearable.

"I want to be buried here too." Mir said with a smile. A smile that said he was ready for this. He was always ready. And his eyes showed nothing but peace and calmness like the middle of the ocean. Quiet and peaceful.

Byunghee stepped back from Mir, shaking his head. He couldn't comprehend why Mir was so calm when he, himself already felt like his heart had been ripped out of his chest? Their gazes broke as his eyes fall on to the ground. "I can't do it." He croaked out almost choking. His hand was gripping the two guns on his waist, his and Mir's guns, not willing to hand away that gun to Mir, knowing what would Mir use it for.

Mir sighed and he looked around for his other members. None of them dare to meet his eyes. "I have to do it myself." Mir muttered. He reached for his own gun which was in Byunghee's hand even when Byunghee tried to step back from Mir. But Mir was faster as he took away the gun from Byunghee's hold and tried to walk away. He didn't want his friends to see him killing himself especially Taemin who was still too pure. But a hand shot out and grabbed his arm.

"Please don't." Joon said. No. Joon was pleading. His hold on Mir's wrist was shaky. His eyes were red and glassy. He would have kneeled down and begged the younger, but he knew it wouldn't work.

"You know I have too." Mir shook Joon's hand away easily and took another step when Sanghyun suddenly called out.

"Wait!" Every pair of eyes turned to the timid boy, even Mir. The boy's features potrayed genuine confusion. "How long has it been since Mir got bitten?" That one question took the others into different type of confusion than the one in Sanghyun's mind. 

"Does it matter?" Minho spat. Almost losing his cool. Especially at the thought of his friend who was at the edge of the death.

"I-It does." Lizzy voiced. Her voice sounded hoarse from all the crying. It was as if Sanghyun's question had lighten up a lightbulb in her mind. "All of our friends got fever after ten minutes of being exposed to infection." 

"She's right. Ten minutes after the fever spiked, then it would be the death before turning. That's if you didn't die first due to the wound of course." Nana agreed thoughtfully.

"It's been over one hour if I'm not mistaken." Seungho revealed. They had been spending so much time on digging a grave to properly bury Hyojin's body and took much more time to clean up the other dead bodies in front of the barn though they still didn't finish. They didn't really realise time was flying by as they were too shell-shock by what had happened. Too much had happened in one day. Too much.

Key ran to Mir and put his palm on Mir's forehead, cheeks and neck. "He doesn't have any fever." Key informed, totally shocked. So did the others.

"He won't turn?" Taemin asked in small voice. There were no answer though. They too didn't have any clues of what was going on. And Taemin didn't need one as the small boy already ran to Mir and hugged the older tightly. 

More than all, Mir was the one who had the biggest shock of his life. Hugging back the crying younger while blinking with a dumbstruck blank expression on his face. What was happening?