chapter 26

apocalypse II

They just finished their breakfast and all the boys went out to continue their work from yesterday. Mir went on his own way towards a small barn not far from the house. He was thinking of finding some gardening tools. He could made a small vegetable garden so their group won't run out of food supply. It was worth trying since there were seeds of some vegetables and he got knowledge in farming.

His steps halted when he caught a low growling sound from the locked barn. 'Walkers!' His mind shouted. He went around the barn and peeked through a hole on the wooden walls. His eyes widening as he saw lots of walkers pacing around in the barn. He cursed under his breath. They were living next to a barn filled with a herd of walkers?

Mir felt something nudged on his head. "Don't move!" A voice warned. "Who are you?" Mir frowned. It had been a long time since he heard that voice. But, he was pretty sure he knew the owner of the voice.

"Lizzy?" He called. When there was only silence as answer, Mir gathered his courage to slowly turn around. He was right! It was Lizzy! Mir couldn't help the smile that crept on his face. "Lizzy..." He called again the name of the frozen girl in front of him.

The girl with long straight red hair gasped and the gun in her hand fall on the ground. Her eyes widened and tears threatened to fall off the corner of her eyes. She lunged on Mir and wrapped her skinny arms around Mir's waist. "You're alive!" She sobbed.

"You too." Mir hugged back. Lizzy was his childhood friend. Since Mir fled from his home and village, he never once came back here. He never thought there would be anyone from this village who would still live in the ruined farm that was overran by loads of walkers.

Mir pulled away, but his hands still grabbing the girl's shoulder. "Is there anymore survivors here?"

The red head nodded as she wiped her wet cheeks. Mir's eyes softened as he saw how his friend was looking skinnier than the last time he saw her. "Nana is still here. Wooyoung oppa too."

"Junho?" Mir asked and bit his lips when the girl shook her head in despair.

"He turned." Her voice was small and broken, clenching on Mir's heart.

Mir pulled the girl back into a tight hug as he knew that Lizzy was having a crush on Junho since they were teenager. It must had been hard for that girl. If receiving this news was already this hard for Mir, how much harder it is for Lizzy?

"Where have you been?" We thought you were dead." Lizzy mumbled against Mir's chest. Her words were thick with accent. That didn't change and Mir smiled despite the situation. He always like hearing the girl's accent or any of his other friends' accent. 

He and his childhood friends, not just him and Lizzy, were always talking with each other in accent and they were always so loud and making the elderly people in their village sometime had to chase them around and nagged at them. They lived in countryside after all. They were country kids with their sweet childhood memories. 

Lizzy didn't change. And Mir had to say that he felt like he was really home again at that familiar accent. "We went to your house two days after the outbreak. And you weren't there. Only..." 

"I know." Mir said and Lizzy understood right away that she didn't have to continue. "I ran to the city and lots of things happened. But, I'm here again. Why are you still here?" 

"We can't leave. We just can't." Lizzy sighed and her eyes fall on the barn.

"Are you the one keeping them here?" Mir asked skeptically. "Why didn't you just kill them?"

Lizzy frowned. "What are you talking about? In there are our friends! Our neighbours! Our... Family. Junho oppa is in there too..." Lizzy shouted but her voice getting smaller towards the end. Sound of growling, pounding and scratching on the wall of the barn could be heard. The walkers were attracted to Lizzy's voice.

Mir bit his tongue. He knew Lizzy too well. Lizzy won't listen to him. He looked over to the barn again. It looked sturdy. Even the lock was nothing easy to be broken. It probably safe. Probably... But, would he take that risk even when the risk was as small as that.

"Are you alone?" Mir's eyes flickered back to Lizzy. 

"No. I'm with my group. All in all we're eleven people." Mir explained. 

"Mireu!" A voice called and both Mir and Lizzy turned around. Rain was jogging towards the two. He shot Lizzy a look. "Who's this?" He asked out of curiosity. 

"My friend. She lives here too with other two." Mir explained getting a nod and sound of recognition from Rain. Rain bowed back to the red-head when the girl bowed politely to him.

Lizzy turned back to Mir, looking up to her bestfriend with a small smile. "I'll go get Wooyoung oppa and Nana. They'll be pleased to meet you again." Mir nodded and the girl ran towards one of the farmhouses, leaving Rain and Mir.

"I have been wanting to ask." Rain stated his eyes drifted from the running Lizzy to Mir. "Are there...?" He tilted his head towards the barn. The walkers in there still trying to push against the wall that separated them from their preys. 

Mir nodded and sighed. "I think my friends think of those things as people. Living people. Only sick, not dead. They won't kill those things. I think they are still hoping that they can cure those." Mir saw the look in Rain's eyes. He knew the older didn't agree. He too was thinking the same. But, the three were his friends. He couldn't just kill their hope. He couldn't do what they didn't want him to do. He was stuck in the middle. Both sides were his friends. And though he knew the right thing to do, he still felt torn between the two choices. Knowing the right choice didn't make it easier to choose apparently.

 

 

-I'm borrowing 2pm and after school members' name-