Chapter 7

The Name I Loved

Onew POV

While walking home again with his buddies, many thoughts raced through Onew’s head. That girl—Ary? Yeah; she was nice, sweet, a very fast learner. He wanted to know more about her. But his friends—all they did was have questions. All they did was question.

“Who’s she?”

“Is she sitting HERE!?”

“Who is she, hyung!”

“Why did you invite her here!?”

“Is she supposed to be Korean?”

Onew thought it was quite rude that the guys were asking offensive questions around her, but he thought it was even more rude that they were asking him in Korean, so that she couldn’t understand.

“Shut up and be nice,” Onew remebered telling them, hoping that the girl wasn’t already too uncomfortable. He glanced at her a few times and could see the supposed xenophobia basically radiating from her skin. She sat still, bit her lip….looked down most of the time. He felt sorry for whatever reason, though he blamed her for not expecting what she should have.

 

The guys turned a corner and began to walk in sync, side by side, hands in their pockets and minds wandering over the streets. A zephyr whisped over them, tossing silk strands of hair across faces and over shoulders. The sun was sinking and just like the night before, the sky took on it’s nightly indigo color. Silence dominated the majority of the walk back to their homes, until a few words were spoken by the youngest.

“Who was that girl, hyung? You never did tell us.”

The rest of the guys pretended not to listen; it was awkward to remember an awkward moment. They hadn’t spoken of her for the remainder of the school day.

Onew sighed. “Just a friend.” He responded back in his native language, feeling that somehow it would make their conversation more secretive. It didn’t, considering that the rest of his friends were as fluent as he.

“Oh, a friend. Was she the girl you were talking about yesterday? Was she your girlfriend?”

Onew sighed once again. “No.”

“Oh. Okay.”

 

They began to break off from their cluster, one by one going into their homes after giving hugs to one another and promising to see them tomorrow. After Jonghyun went into his house, Onew was roaming the streets by himself, enjoying the quiet.

 

“Onew oppa!”

 

Onew jumped and turned around when he heard his name being called. He saw a young, petite girl running to him.

MinYong.

She jogged over to him, her long black hair following behing her like the vail of a wedding gown. Her sheer light pink dress complimeted her pure white skin well. Her lips were small, but cherry-colored, and her eyes were the shapes of crescent moons because of her smile.

She slowed her running when she caught up with him and when she stopped, Onew could smell her perfume.

Amber Moon, Onew thought. Nice.

MinYong waved to Onew. “Hi oppa. You’re alone...” She bit her lip cutely.

“Yeah, so are you.”

They stood in silence for a moment.

“Do you…” MinYong began, “want to go to the ice cream parlor? Tomorrow maybe? After school? We havent talked in a while and I….just miss talking to you.” she looked down, then back up at him, purity burning throughout her.

Who could say no?

“Uhm, sure. Yeah. Directly after school, right?” Onew asked. She nodded. He smiled. “Ok. See you then.”

She squealed. “Thank you, Onew oppaaaaaa….” She used her high voice, hoping to charm him.

“No problem,” Onew responded, indiscreetly blushing. His heart pinged seeing her act so cute with him, using her aegyo.

MinYong nodded off at Onew, then went her separate way, disappearing into the night. Onew found himself at his house earlier than he thought, and the only thing on his mind was MinYong.

 

The next day after school, Onew was at his locker putting his things away, readying himself for a day with MinYong, and the weekend to come. Though he had no particular feelings for the girl, he had an excited feeling in his chest. Maybe it was because he was spending time with a girl? No; he knew her too well. Maybe he did have feelings for her?

He held the small bouquet of Dahlia’s to his chest and sighed. They were for her, of course.

“Hey.”

Onew looked up from the floor and saw Ary standing infront of him. “Hey.” Onew answered back and faced her.

She pointed to his hand. “Nice bouquet. Who’s it for?”

Onew flushed. “Uh…just…no one.” He put the flowers in his locker.

Ary laughed. “Um ok. Anyway, listen, about those lessons…I don’t think I want to keep doing them…not that I don’t like your language and all but, because I…guess I don’t want to be a translator, like I said.”

Onew knew the girl was lying. He could pratically hear the fakeness in her voice.

“I’m sorry about my friends. I know they’re the real reason.”

Ary looked at him and the atmosphere rapidly went awkward. She didn’t say anything.

“Do you still want to learn?” Onew asked her.

Ary hesitated, shrugged, then nodded. “Sure.”

Onew reached into his pocket and took out his cellphone. He handed it to her. “It’ll be more private this way. Just you and me.” He flashed a quick smile.

After exchanging numbers, they began walking to the school entrance side by side, until something caught Onew’s eye.

“We have a piano room now?” he walked towards the door.

“Oh yeah. My friend, Aleah, has that class as her 7th hour.”

He looked towards her. “Can we go in?”

Ary searched the inside of the class for any sort of life. “I guess so. It’s empty in there.”

 

They both entered the room cautiously, keeping an eye out for any teachers or admins walking the halls after school. Once fully inside, they shut the door and Ary followed Onew to a piano

Onew sat at the piano at the front of the class. He looked like he was in deep thought; his fingers grazed over the black and white keys as if they were some sort of cherished memory. His eyes were focused and following the movements of his hands.

Out of no where, Onew played a chord.  There was a loud ring at first, but then slowly it began to fade away. One finger at a time, Onew pressed each key, soon another finger following, then another, until a full blown melodic tune was coming from the gorgeous, shiny black instrument. The tone of the song gave a strong vibe of rememberance. Ary thought of an old man walking on a sidewalk during a crisp autumn day, leaves passing by his face and wind whisping past his hair as he remebered an old flame or a loved one. During the soft, light and suttle parts of the song, where Onew had moved his hands lightly over the treble clef side of the piano, Ary felt emotion. She quickly whisped one hand up to her eye for sign of any leakage, and when she found none, she continued to let the soothing music massage her eardrums.

When Onew struck the least key, he let his fingers drop from the paino and onto his lap while slouching into his seat. He sat like that for a while, then spoke to her.

“I used to love playing piano.”

Ary smiled softly. “You sound really good.”

Onew looked towards her. “Thanks. It got tiring when high school came along, and soon I had no time for practice. I sure do miss it. I would start again, but having AP Government is like I’m studying to become a lawyer or something.”

Ary laughed aloud. “I know! Mr. McCall is so serious about his class!” she sat in a chair next to him and pushed stray hair behind her ear.

Without any type of hesitation, Onew and Ary began talking for what seemed like forever. They talked about past lives, old schools, old friends, teachers and embarrassing stories. As Onew laughed alongside his new friend, he began to feel something in his chest. His cheeks burned, his heart raced, and he felt like he wanted to be closer to the girl sitting next to him. What was this?

After a well worth-while long laugh about some middle school story Onew was telling, Ary checked the clock.

“We should probably get going,” Ary mentioned while starting towards the door.

“You’re right.” Onew got up and followed her out the door.

 

They walked side by side until they hit the parking lot. Ary began to slowly walk toward the right, away from Onew. “See you tomorrow. Or should I say, annyeong!” She smiled and stopped to wait for him to reply.

Onew laughed and clapped.“Great job! And it was nice talking to you.”

Ary smiled back and they went their separate ways.

If only I had something to give her… Onew thought while walking to who-knows-where, like candy, or buttons, or flowers…wait a second…Onew’s eyes nearly popped out of his head when he remebered MinYong! How long had she been waiting in the ice cream parlor by herself!? How could he be so forgetful and insensitive!?

Onew immediety dashed down the block, made a few turns and slowed when he saw the parlor. To his surprise, there was a lone petite girl staring out the window, tracing the tip of her index finger over the top of an empty ice cream glass.

She’s still here!

Onew hesistated to go in, but soon realized that the more time he wasted, the lonelier

MinYong would be. He walked in, still panting and sweaty from the long run.

Immeadiately, MinYong’s eyes went from her cup to Onew and she gasped in shock. “Oppa! What took you so long!?” She ran to him and cupped his face in her hands, her eyes clouded with worry. She ran a finger down his flushed cheeks and sweaty face, never looking away from him.

“Are you hurt? What happened? Where were you?” she questioned in a soft voice.

Onew was too tired to respond, which resulted in MinYong leading him to the table she was sitting at and letting him relax on the comfy, red, cushiony booth while she bought him a smoothie.

 

While he rested, Onew thought of Ary and got that familiar feeling in his stomach. Butterflies? Gas? He didn’t exactly know what it was, and for the time being, ignored it.

He remembered the smile she gave him when he told her he used to be a piano player. That beautiful smile…he had never seen lips so smoothe and rose colored like hers against brown skin. It made her look lips look delactable, like cherries and chocolate. He then thought about her hair. It was shoulder length, sort of cut into a bob, but too long in the back to be considered one. He remebered staring at it one time when they were in line for student coding. He wondered how girls of her ethnicity managed to have such versatile styles for their hair.

MinYong returned moments later with a strawberry-banana smoothie in her clutches. She smiled and gently placed the drink infront of Onew. “There you go.” She placed a hand on his cheek and Onew slightly flinched from her cold touch due to the drink she had previously held. “Your cheeks aren’t red and hot anymore. But drink this, it should help cool your blood.” She took the straw and faced it towards him, giving him no choice but to take a sip.

The refreshing, sweet, ice-cold liquid slipped down his throat quicker than he expected, and within seconds, he removed himself from his drink and pinched his nose in pain. MinYong giggled, knowing exactly what happened to him. “You shouldn’t drink so fast, oppa!” she rubbed his shoulder. Onew sighed.

 

After just Onew had completely drank his smoothie, MinYong and Onew called it a night. Onew hugged her and thanked her properly for the drink she bought him.

“Oh, you’re welcome oppa! No need to thank me. It was my pleasure.” She gave him a side-eyed smirk.

Onew rubbed the back of his neck. “No, I have to repay you, for being late and then having you buy me something. I had flowers, but I left them in my locker. I doubt they’ll be alive tomorrow.”

 

MinYong looked puzzled, but kept the smile on her face. “Why would flowers be in your locker? You forgot them?”

Onew shook his head. “No…well, yes, but you see, I was talking to Ary and—”

 

“…who’s Ary?” MinYong’s tone of voice changed immeadietly and the slight jealousy could be detected. To keep from potential conflict, Onew brushed it off. “Ah, just a girl in a few of my classes.” He placed his hand on her shoulder. “Thanks for the drink, and for having me here. It was nice. Goodnight.” He gently smiled and walked out of the door, leaving MinYong to stand in the parlor wondering who and what this Ary girl is to him.

And how she was going to make it known that Onew was hers. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who doesn't know: 

aegyo: "cuteness"

annyeong: It means hello, but I read somewhere that it can also mean goodbye, and in this case, it means so.

Another chapter!!!!! Agh sory, I know I was supposed to update yesterday >.< My laptop was acting funny (windows 8 is on some bull.....)

Suscribe, Upvote Comment!!!