Chapter 16

The Name I Loved

Ary POV

 

“So…you two know eachother?” Onew asked Ary in confusion.

“We’ve talked some time ago.”

“About what? When did that happen?”

“Last month. After our first date, I think.”

“Really? What did she say to you!? Why didn’t you tell me about her!?”

 

Ary sighed and looked out into the horizon. Christmas break had finally come and the couple decided to spend their Friday afternoon on the field they got to know eachother on. The bitter winter cold was surprsingly non-existant; only a few windchills, other than that everything was fine.

 

“She just told me some stupid things. I shouldn’t have believed them. I don’t believe them.”

 

“What did she tell you?”

 

“Just…lies. Lies about you.”

“Lies about me? What did she say? C’mon, you can trust me.”

Ary hesitated. “Uh…just that you were xenophobic. And that you were only dating me because I am different.”

 

Onew scrunched his eyebrows. Ary couldn’t tell if he was perplexed or angry.

“I can’t believe she said that…I don’t even know what xenophobic means.”

“It means you have a fear of other cultures.”

 

Onew bit his lip. “Well…there’s some truth to that…”

Ary’s ears perked. Oh no. “What do you mean?”

 

“Eh, to be quite honest, I do have a fear of other cultures. Well, did. You see, I came from a school that is strictly Korean. I’ve been going there for 9 years. I live in a neighborhood that is strictly Korean. So, you know. Coming to this high school came as a shock.”

 

“I see. So have you and MinYong always been friends, like she says?”

 

“Yeah, we were good friends for a while. We stopped talking as much in 9th-11th grade, mainly because we didn’t see eachother around. She’s been a pretty cool person, she even helped me with my “xenophobia”. Which is why I don’t know undestand why she would say such things about me to you.”

 

Ary huffed. “It’s obvious that she wants us to break up. I think she likes you.”

“I’m starting to think that myself. But you don’t have to worry. I’m not leaving you.”  He pulled her in close, as he always did.

“I know. I’m just worried that she won’t be able to accept that we are dating. Speaking of which…when should we break it to our friends?”

 

“I made implications to my friends already. They seemed cool with it. You?”

 

“Great! I haven’t even mentioned it to mine…but I’m sure she’ll support me. She is my friend, afterall.”
 

“Right. And friends always support one another.” Onew chimed.

“Yeah. They should, at least.”

After minutes of enjoying eachother’s company, Onew and Ary decided it was time to split.

Ary walked with Onew back to his house and once he was at his door, he asked her, “do you want company for your birthday next week?”

 

“Nah, my mom is already expecting me and Aleah to hang out.”

“Aleah? Your friend, right?”

“Yeah, the tall girl with the super cute clothing. That’s her.”

“Oh okay then. In that case…” Onew opened the door and reached beside it, pullling out what looked like a present. “Here’s your gift now.”

 

Ary’s mouth went agape. “Onew, you really didn’t have to—”


“Hey,” he cut her off. “I wanted to.” He moved it towards her as if to say “take it.”

 

Ary sighed while smiling and gently took the box from his hands, getting a pleased smile from Onew.

“Thanks, Onew.”

“You’re welcome. So, you plan on breaking it to Aleah?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay. I will tell my friends as well. See you later.”

They hugged goodbye and swiftly departed just incase Onew’s mother decided to get home early.

As Ary made her way home, she thought about she and Onew. Was it weird that she and him were going out as a secret? What were they so afraid of anyway…there’s nothing wrong with a girl and a guy dating…

 

Then again, they were a social taboo just like most if not all relationships. And she just so happened to be the misfit…the one that is seen as the least desirable mate. And because of that, things were a lot more difficult.

 

****************************************************************

 

“Happy birthday!!!!” Aleah screamed at the top of her lungs.

“Ow! I still need my ear drums…”

“Oh, shut up and blow out the candles!”

Ary smiled and did as she was told.

“YAAAAAAAAAYY!!! Did you make a wish?”

“What? No…”

“Why not!?” Aleah thumped her forehead.

“Ow! Because wishes are for children. I’m legally an adult now!”

“Don’t grow up too fast, missy.” Aleah pat her friend’s shoulder then gave her a stern shake. Ary rolled her eyes and smirked while getting a knife to cut into the cake.

 

“Here. This is your piece.” She planted a large slice on Aleah’s plate.

“Oh, you know me so well…..”

“You know I do…”

 

Without answering, Aleah took her fork and dove right into the cake Ary had given her. Ary smiled. Aleah looked she was at her happiest right about now. Maybe she wouldn’t freak out so much if she broke the news about Onew to her…

 

Ary opened but a pang of nervousness shot through her chest and she choked.

Come one Ary, she thought, you’re just telling her about a boyfriend. Aleah’s not a judemental person.

 

“Aleah?”

 

Aleah looked up, frosting smudged across her cheek. was obviously bloated with cake. “Mmm?”

 

Ary bit her tongue. “I…I won’t talk until you swallow…”

 

Aleah huffed and chewed her cake before swallowing it and blurting, “What’s wrong? You look more serious than usual…”

 

“Aleah...before I say this I just wanna apologize for lying to you.”

 

Aleah gave her a puzzled look.“Okay Ary. You’re starting to scare me now.”

 

Ary didn’t say anything. She just sat there and tried to figure out how the hell she was going to word this confession.

 

“Remember that guy whose bag you tripped over?”

 

“Um…..no…..”

 

“Really? It was a while ago.”

 

“Oh you mean on the first day of school?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Oh, yeah I do! That guy was fine as hell. Wow, how did I even forget that?”

 

Out of habit, Ary rolled her eyes. “He wasn’t that cute, Aleah.”

 

“Girl! He’s better looking than those other Asians he hangs around!”

 

“Better looking than all of them?”

 

“Hell yeah!” she laughed.

 

“Well, I guess I have bad taste since I’m dating one of them.”

 

Aleah stopped laughing and looked at Ary. Her mood change was remarkable.

 

“What?”

 

“I’m dating one of them. His friends call him Onew. He’s the tall guy with the thick brown hair. We’ve been dating for three months.”

 

“Omigosh……”

 

“I know. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier…”

 

“You aren’t serious…”

 

Now, Ary was the one getting scared. She had never seen a more serious look on Aleah’s face. EVER. Aleah hated liars more than anything else and Ary thought that since they were friends, she’d maybe take the lie a lot easier than if she were a different person. But Aleah kept her large eyes locked onto Ary’s. Locked tighter than a teenage girl’s skinny jeans.

 

Ary felt get tight but she managed to croak out,

“I am.”

 

Aleah didn’t answer. She just stared.

 

Ary already began to regret her choice. “Aleah?”

 

“…..I can’t believe you lied to me….”

 

“Aleah, I already told you I was sor—”

Aleah jumped out of her chair, swung both arms around Ary’s waist, and danced her around.

“Oh my GOSH that’s GREAT!!! Why didn’t you tell me!? It felt like you were holding something in! Did you kiss him? Does he buy you gifts? Did he get to second base????”

 

Ary, completely dumfounded, yelled for Aleah to put her down.

 

“Second base!? Of course not! What kind of girl do you take me for!?” Ironically, Ary scolded Aleah though she nervously remembered the make out session she and Onew participated in and her cheeks began to burn.

 

“Oh yeah I forgot. You’re the abstinent type.” Aleah snickered.

“What’s that supposed to mean!?”

“Nothing! Nothing…”

“Grrr…..”

 

“Stop being so angry,” Aleah said and grabbed a pillow from a couch nearby. “Instead, tell me what he’s like?”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story is moving along nicely....

 

ANOTHER UDATE!!! Thanks to all those avid commenters, you guys are awesome!

Subscribe, Upvote, Comment!!!