Chapter 19

The Name I Loved

Onew laid lazily in his bed watch YouTube videos instead of doing his homework. He felt so at peace now that he could openly date Ary—he didn’t have to hide their relationship out of embarrassment or being judged, he could just enjoy her without a care in the world. Feeling this way made him exceptionally elated and he didn’t feel like anything else mattered anymore. Homework, school, life. He was at ease and could die happily right now if fate were planning on it—

Beep beep!

 

His phone buzzed. It was  text message.

Ary?

Onew hastily picked up the phone to see what his love had to say to him until he opened the message and saw the Korean words that he realized it was MinYong instead.

 

Hello oppa! My 18th birthday is coming up. I’ll be having a little get together on Saturday at my house. 6:00 sharp!

 

Onew sighed. How cute. She didn’t even ask whether or not he made plans. She just straight up assumed that he was going to go.

For that, Onew had more then enough motivation to politely decline her offer. He texted her back in English:

 

Sorry MinYong. I think I have plans for Saturday.

 

In less than a minute Minyong responded. Onew could already hear her whining.

 

Why oppa? Don’t you want to come celebrate with me? You promised me we’d hang out, remember?

 

Promised? Onew never remembered promising anything to her.

She’s only saying what she wants to hear, Onew thought. I never said that.

 

He wanted to outright tell her no, but he was too soft for it. He didn’t want to make her upset; he had already blown her off enough times. After all, she did look upset with him earlier today…

 

MinYong, please forgive me…

 

 

Oppa, please don’t blow me off…..

 

 

I’m sorry MinYong. I just have other plans.

 

 

It is with Ary

 

Woah. That last message she sent didn’t have any punctuation. Is she pissed or something? Was Onew wrong for having other plans, even if it was with his girlfriend?

 

Yes was all Onew responded with. Surprisingly, MinYong seemed to have taken the news rather well.

 

Aish, you two spend so much time together nowadays! So Cute. Well if you can’t go, at least help me find something to wear. You mind taking a look at some photos for me?

 

Ughhh,  Onew thought. He really didn’t want to look at any photos for her, but to make things go quickly (and because of his soft nature) he agreed to it anyway.

 

Yay! Thank you! There are only a few dresses I was thinkng about. I’ll send screenshots of them to you.

 

Onew felt a little relief at her statement. Just a few dresses? He asked himself, This shouldn’t take long at all then!

 

That is, until the screenshots kept coming…and coming…and coming…

What do you think  about this one?

Does this one look okay?

How about this one?

Would this make me look cute?

 

Onew could feel his eyes begin to burn from watching the phone screen. In between their conversations, he would check the clock and watch the hours displayed on the clock change. He tried to give her honest answers about the dresses, but with each outfit looking similar to the previous one, he wondered whether or not she really wanted his help or if she was trying to distract him. His suspicion quickly subsided when she made the decision to go with the pastel pink sleeveless chiffron mini dress, a dress that he genuinely believed would look ravishing on her petite frame.

 

Good choice, don’t you think? She asked Onew.

 

Yeah, you’ll stun everyone! I hope you have a nice party.

 

Thank you! I hope we can hang out some time :)

 

And with that last sentence, they stopped texting.

 

Onew put his phone down and rubbed his eyes. He was happy that the conversation was over. Hoewver, when Onew looked at the clock, he realized that it was now 11:45 and that he had a ton of math problems to do for homework. He remembered wanting to start early but getting carried away with the YouTube videos, then promising himself that he would get back on top of it after he watched a few vids, but then getting the text from MinYong. His conversation with her lasted over 4 hours! He would have been don with all of his math work in that amount of time!

 

Onew lazily opened his Calculus book, grabbed his notebook and started his work. He was pretty decent in math, but considering that his eyes hurt, he was tired and now a little irritated at all the time wasted, he didn’t focus right. It wasn’t until around 3 am that he went to bed.

 

 

The next day at school, Onew could barely walk around. It took too much work for him to get out of his mother’s warm car, which never failed to lull him to sleep, and into the cool air of his high school.

Onew slouched into his locker, fighting the urge to rest until he felt someone tap his shoulder.

“Onew-yah?”

Onew turned around and Jonghyun smiled, then grimaced.

“Hey—Oh damn! What happened to you!?”

Onew scrunched his eyebrows and let out a weak “what?”

Jonghyun pulled him closer to him and speak low in Korean, “why do you look so dead?”

Again, Onew repeated, “what?”

“You don’t look happy to see me…or to be alive…” Jonghyun rubbed his friend’s back. “Everything going okay?”

“Oh..oh yeah. I just had a rough night. That math homework was outrageous.”

“You mean the assignment Mr. Clemmons gave out?”

“Yeah. It took me four hours to finish it all…”

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow. “Uhmm…Onew-yah..”

“Yeah?”

“You know that isn’t due until next Monday, right?”

“WHA—!? AISH!”

Jonghyun laughed as Onew hit himself in the head repeatedly.

“Hey, at least you got it out the way!” Jonghyun exclaimed while stopping Onew’s abusive fist that was going in for another blow.

“Ugh…I guess…”

“Did you start late on it? It shouldn’t have taken you that long to complete it.”

Onew grabbed a notebook and a water bottle from his locker and shut it. “I was texting MinYong last night. So I ended up starting really late.”

“Oo, texting?” Jonghyun asked. “About what??”

“Her birthday party.”

“Oh, right! She sent me an invite. Are you going?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“I have plans with Ary.”

“Ahh….you didn’t tell MinYong that, did you?”

“MinYong knows about it…why?”

Jonghyun leaned against a locker and put a finger to his chin. “She really seems to like you. I just don’t want you to upset her on her birthday.”

“She’ll be alright. Besides, I think she got her fill when she asked me to help her decide on dresses last night. The conversation was four hours long, jonghyun. FOUR! She’s a really sweet girl and I’d love to hang with her, but I just think she needs to back off a little.”

Jonghyun’s mouth fell agape. “How did you have a four-hour long conversation about dresses!?”

Onew sighed. “You know I can’t say no to her…or to anyone…”

“Aish, Onew. You’re too soft!”

“I know this. I just need her to know that since I’m with someone now, I want a little space…”

“I can tell her fo you.”

Onew furred his brows at Jonghyun. “Would..would you really do that for me?”

“Yeah, hyung.”

The two began walking towaards the stairs to the fourth floor where Jonghyun’s locker was. As they walked, Onew felt a wave of liberation from doing the dirty task, but now guilt and shame for wanting it to happen. Would she hate him after Jonghyun breaks the news?

“Don’t tell her too explicitly, Jonghyun.”

‘What? What do you mean?”

“Don’t tell her that I wanted you to tell her. Could you maybe…drop hints?”

“Oh! I know what you mean. Yeah of course. I wont do anything to hurt her feelings. I’ll casually drag it into our conversations, or something. Nothing explicit at all.”

Onew now felt comepletely guilt and shame free. “Thank you Jonghyun.”

“No problem, hyung.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello guys!!!

First off, I'm SOO sorry for not updating. I had a rough patch in school and I had little to no time for anything, but I'm free now!!!

BTW, I know i said this story is finished, but i actually read it over a few days ago and noticed that there are alot of incosistencies and stuff, so i'm in the process of fixing those so that no one will be confused! So updates shall come as frequently as possible :)

thanks for sticking so closely by this story and i will most definietly be finishing it to the best of my abilities! :D

Subscribe,, Upvote, Comment!!!